The American Forum

Michael McBride

Mara steps up to the podium, adjusting the microphone minutely to compensate for her height.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Forum...

The Northern Imperium is a young nation in comparison to those such as Pravus Ingruo and New Spain, let alone some of the South American nations. Already we have faced off against France - and through them, the Horde. We are young, but we are not without teeth, and sharp ones they are.

Our continents have seen the recent upsurge of new states, ready and backed by citizens ready to form some of the Nations we see here today. Our region is the most vital, energetic region on the planet, if not the most chaotic. Stagnant Europe and dead Africa are overshadowed by imperial Asia, and we must not allow ourselves to be cast under the same pall, else all we who gather here today do will have been for naught. Their war machines march over the great empires of the Middle East and Europe with absurd efficiency and ease, and not a single member of this forum has the strength to face those machines on their own.

Whatever else comes of these proceedings, we [i]must[/i] make provisions for repelling foreigners. For if we do not, all we do in the name of peace and prosperity may be undone at the whim of a Grand Empress half a world distant."

With that, Mara sits back at her seat.

Edited by Mara Lithaen

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atalanta stood up after Mara sat down.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, but what's the applicable difference between a European 'colony' in the Caribbean and a New York-based nation owning land in the Caribbean? Other than continent, what's the difference? When Cuba was under the control of Pravus Ingruo, we enjoyed freedom and relative prosperity, protection and a sincere lack of oppression or discrimination despite the fact that there is a larger difference in culture from New York to Cuba than there is from Italy to Tunisia, which are literally on different continents.

"I ask you a question: if people are free, in good health, and have their political and human rights respected, why does it matter where the origin of the government lies? From what I've been told by historians, Ecuador is a part of Rebel Army but is considerably freer than what the term 'colony' insinuates and has lasted longer than most of us here have been part of our current nations. If this were some sort of crusade solely against the concept of foreign ownership, why is it that we allow one section to be owned by Rebel Army but we are in some sort of vendetta against others? Hypocrisy is no friend to unity.

"I ask the nations calling for ultimatums or provisions to please explain why it is better to wage war, the most tragic and devastating acts a nation can commit, than to simply ask themselves why they are basing an entire pretext to war on a hypocritical policy that won't necessarily accomplish anything other than a change of government? Why should we destroy homes, end lives, disrupt entire generations in order to do nothing except replace one government with another?

"I ask this not to say your motivations are less than sincere or to imply anything, only to get rational, logical explanations behind such heated, emotional dialogue."

Edited by Atalanta

Harold Cheve smacked his walking stick on the ground. "We must examine each case individually, you make a point there. But unlike Pravus Ingruo and Rebel Army, Athens and The Horde are not working to treat their citizens with care, they establish military bases and launch spy operations to keep America at their will. I will not be treated as a servant for these imperialist scum, and they shall be kicked off the continent at once! How fair is it for you to be governed by some country from China who simply ignores you other than to utilize your resources and militarize your homeland? Bah!" Another whack of the stick ended his speech.

"Gallifrey supports this call to defense we can not allow our selves to be the play toys of the powers of Asia and Europe. They simply see nothing but war and wont attempt to end things diplomatically Gallifrey has experienced this first hand. We must not stand for this we must unite and show the east that the Americas arent their play toy." With that John Smith sat back and waited for a response.

Adjutor Erdstrom felt his moment to step in was quickly passing in the coming conflict arising between the East American Union and the Cubans. He could detect a conflict arising, and he did not want to lose the possibility of trades with the other American nations.

"I think," he said, standing, "that there is-- how one says -- 'an elephant in the room' that is being largely ignored by all parties. We of the Confederation of Kuklos are not native to your continent. But we are, nevertheless, Americans, or we would certainly not be welcome at this Forum. Our discussions here do not centre on a threat from France or Athens or even Tianxia -- we are not talking about colonisation by foreigners. We are talking about protection of lands which we call our own. This is not a discussion of colonisation and conquest, but of national security. If we want to preserve our national security, if we want to protect ourselves, we will not do this through provocation and talks of war.

"It is for this very reason that the Confederation of Κυκλοι has chosen to attend these Forums. We believe, as all others here believe, that American unity is important. I, and my superiors at the Magisterium of Monies and Merchants, are firm in our own belief that this unity is best founded in that which most readily breeds peace, which is the preservation of well-being and the ability of rulers to protect the material welfare of their subjects. What I am talking about is nothing other than economic unity and economic cooperation among our nations. So many of us have raw materials that foreign nations desire and, indeed, [i]need[/i]. They seek to colonise because of what colonies feed them: the very root of all colonisation, all mercantilism, is wealth and power from that wealth.

"We, together, have an opportunity to make it more profitable for these foreign nations [i]not[/i] to colonise the Americas by working together to control our resources. The Confederation of Κυκλοι alone is heir to a crude oil fortune of in excess of 400 [i]billion[/i] barrels. We know there are others here with similar resources. I am here with explicit orders to reach out to those nations in an attempt to protect our control of American oil. We have already lost significant fields in Alaska, but we have even more significant fields in former Vicidalia, in Texas, and in the Gulf of Mexico. This is the kind of unity that will benefit us, and this is the kind of unity the Confederation hopes to pursue. If we join together in one massive cartel, we hope our fellow Americans will follow suit - and soon we will see unity in the face of adversity, a type of unity which will preserve peace rather than provoke war."

Governor Bronston stood up and spoke. [i]"Hello everyone, my name is Governor David Bronston and I am representing my nation the American Commonwealth here today. While I do feel that foreign occupation of America is indeed detrimental to our part of the world I find myself somewhat agreed with the representatives from Cuba and Kuklos. My nation has just formed itself, technically it doesn't have an official central government yet. Militarily we can do with what we have for domestic purposes but the idea of going to war over this issue in our current state is out of the question. I support the idea of America for Americans but in my eyes the needs of my nation come first and I can't support something that would probably bring nothing but trouble to the Commonwealth. That being said we feel that historically, unity has been lacking in this hemisphere. How can we come together to fight the Asians and Europeans and yet squabble over petty things or not even have any previous relationship with the other nation. I would support the Kuklos delegate's call for greater economic cooperation between American nations as the foundation for future political or even military cooperation. Until such a time as we can actually come together as a continent and possess the base ability and resources for such an endeavor this is tantamount to national suicide and open the road to further colonization and subjugation after we are defeated for foolishly attempting to rush headlong towards war."[/i] After finishing he sat back down and awaited a rebuttal.

Erdstrom was pleased with the support he had from the American Commonwealth, but continued to look in the direction of Louisiana and Texas with their access to oil in West Texas and the Gulf. If he could gain a similar reaction from their delegations, the hopes of an American Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Nations could remain high.

"Protecting lands that we call our own includes not allowing foreign governments to take footing in our valuable land. Gallifrey is not calling for war we are simply calling for a line to be drawn, this far no further America will not put up with you anymore. A call to arms is not the answer I agree but a call to draw that line is certainly needed. Even to the point of sanctions and no treaty clauses to weaken them. Right now we are the most active hemishere in the world we could hurt their bills. We just need to unite and say no more."

OOC: star trek quotes :ehm:

President Wilmington listened patiently to the various arguments & finally decided to give his word on the issue. The energetic, though aging man made his way to the center podium where he began to address the Forum. This speech would begin in a different manner than his others and, revealing a small folded paper from his palm, he began reading,

"'The Eyes of the Americas are divided.'-The Tianxian Horde. 'And our eyes are on you. Do not underestimate our strength as you surely overestimate your own.' -Admiral Regine Avenier, The Commune of France. 'They are welcomed to get a demonstration of exactly how well the Hellenic Forces can project their power globally' -The Athenian Federation.'"

Placing the paper down, he gazed apon the American delegations.

[i]"Following the collapse of empires such as the HAE, the downsizing of Pravus Ingruo, and the dismantlement of others, something fundamental has changed here in America. More evident by the day, American people from all corners of the hemisphere demand their voice to be heard. It is out of the shadow of tyranny that many American states rise today, so why then would we enact no agreement to safeguard this rebirth when foreign tyranny appears at our door? Why would we not move to ensure that many more states enjoy the right to declare their sovereign existance to the world- status that in many parts of the hemisphere was once impossible for them? Sovereign. The sovereignity of America used to be respected across the globe & protected here at home. Expansion into the American Hemisphere is an idea whose time should never have come, but has been allowed to happen regardless of what justifications, as weak as they are, are forced down our throat by powers overseas. Here exist interests with a hand in the American basket, but whose feet stand firmely in foreign soil. Do not be confused. A good neighbor will bridge the gaps between your homes. An invader will make his home where yours sits. Let me be even more frank; the true friends of America lay off her shores.

They do not set boots on this continent. Our friends do not launch their iron into our seas. They do not raise their wings amid our skies..They do not 'project their power', if I may again quote Athens, over the course of America."[/i] Wilmington paused for a moment & cleared his throat, [i]"I am Ron Wilmington, President of the Continental Republic of America." [/i]Placing his hands firmly apon the podium, Wilmington glared into the audience,

[i]"We are opposed by a monolithic, international clique whose grandiose scheme to export their 'glory' to the world flourished by a weak America. Our vulnurability paved their path into infringement on our continent, but it is our compliance that enshrines it. There is not much more this imperial element lives for, more than war. We will not give them the pleasure, because the eyes of America are no longer divided. The strength of America cannot be overestimated. Imperial power cannot be projected over our path which we alone will determine from here on out."[/i]

Relaxing a bit he went on, [i]"So here we are, at long last. It is my opinion that war can undoubtedly be averted while at the same time, America can shake off the foreign occupation of her hemisphere. By participating in dialogue amongt eachother, by establishing fruitful agreements- around American petroleum for example.."[/i] Looking to the Kuklosian delegates, [i]"..We raise America towards solidarity and it is in solidarity that we could unanimously oppose the select international parties. United, America is suddenly eye level with the world imperial rulers even atop their high horse & quickly casting her shadow over all the majesty, all the grandure that they have built of themselves. United, America will always be. American." [/i]

Edited by Suiza

Secretary of Foreign Affairs Xavier Solomon shifted uncomfortably in his seat. This was very quickly turning into a discussion against the Empire's allies. Perhaps these newer nations hadn't checked the treaty web lately, but the Empire was allied to all three of the nations they were currently bashing as imperialistic. Vizier Church noticed his colleague's shift and leaned over, making sure to keep his voice low so that only Solomon could hear.

"Relax, Xavier. This whole meeting is being recorded. Afterwards we can simply forward a copy to our allies if things get too heated. There's nothing to pin on us that violates any treaties."

"Are you sure, Leonard? They're talking some pretty serious stuff."

"Positive." As the next speaker finished, Vizier Church stood at his microphone.

"Esteemed delegates, it pains me to hear some of the talk that has been going on here today. Yes, the colonization of the Americas is an atrocity that should no longer happen, but grandstanding with speeches and ultimatums will not solve anything. In years past, there has been a policy of America for Americans, and it was our own Potentate's father who was a part of it. That policy was a colossal failure. It encouraged our adversaries to challenge the policy whenever and however they could, continually needling our nations, until we were backed into a trap. That trap resulted in the downfall of a number of nations and the end of the policy of America for Americans. I fear that pressing for ultimatums again would only have the same effect. Should a power such as the Horde, or Athens, or France decide to test this policy, how many of you would stand against them? How many of you would be [i]able[/i] to stand against them? There are precious few nations here who are currently able to uphold such a proclamation, and the burden would fall unevenly on our shoulders. The Empire will sign no such document including an ultimatum to foreign nations to end their colonies. The problems and follies of the past shall not be repeated in the present."

"On the issue of economic cooperation, including oil cooperation, the Empire approves of the idea and looks forward to hearing specifics. Companies based within the Empire, many of them subsidiaries of MediaCorp., own 95% of the offshore oil wells along the Gulf states, excluding Texas, and up the eastern seaboard, making the Empire on of the largest oil producing nations in the Americas. We would be happy to hear the ideas presented for a American Conglomerate of Oil Producing Nations, a ACOPN, if you will."

President Narino had been listening patiently. So many of the other delegates were happy to talk about affirmative action in removing any non-Americans from American soil or "drawing a line" to enforce any further action. He wondered to himself how many would actually do what would need to be done to see any such action come true. If that was all they were interested this would prove to be a waste of the presidents time.

"Gentlemen, why should we work against them to stop colonialism. Surely working with them to stop it would be better for us all? If we pursue peaceful relations rather than war and ultimatums to create an environment where the nations mentioned have no reason to want any further land in the Americas it would benefit both sides greatly.

As the honorable speaker from our host nation as just said, ultimatums and a view of America for the Americans have only ever ended badly. I will not fall into the same trap as those that have come before us and should you continue to pursue such actions I will not be a part of it."

President Littlewood stood up. "My nation has recently suffered an actual invasion by the French, although we with the help of our neighbours defeated it and threw them back with considerable losses. I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our homes, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone."

Marie Littlewood paused to let those words sink in before continuing. "Many new arrangements are being contrived as a result of the hard experience through which we have passed and the many mistakes which no doubt we have made, for success is the result of making many mistakes and learning from experience. If the lull is to end, if the storm is to renew itself, we will be ready, will will not flinch, we can take it again."

"Gallifrey would point out that every empire has its fall every tyrany has seen its end. We do not call for war and we are willing to attempt to push them out economically but as ive said before this "horde" as they call themselves is nothing but a machine that sees war as the only answer. I have expirienced it first hand, hell I have 500 marines violating my waters as we speaj. Simply put these diplomatic means wont do in the end but Gallifrey is willing to try. Meanwhile we need to have. An agreement of mutual defence in case it goes ill. We have an ally in the horde and we do not want to take arms against them in the least bit. Though.sadly.they may not listen to any other means which saddens me."

President Littlewood stands up again. "Ladies and Gentlemen i have an announcement. We have decided to not wait for your responses, but to take action now." She swallows and then delivers the news. "Just moments ago, Louisianan forces have engaged the Athenian forces in the Bahamas. I cannot say about what has happened yet as the situation is ongoing." She then sits down again, to let the news sink in.

This came as a great shock to Jose. This would certainly show who was prepared to take action against colonialism and support Louisiana's attacks. He stood up and spoke directly to the Louisianan President.

"Without condemning or condoning, I understand. You have truly seen the worst end of what colonialism can do to a nation.

To the honourable speaker from Gallifrey, why should they ask you first? Do they answer to you? Are you their keeper? If they have attacked your ally it's time you nut up or shut up."

"'The Eyes of the Americas are divided.'-The Tianxian Horde. 'And our eyes are on you. Do not underestimate our strength as you surely overestimate your own.' -Admiral Regine Avenier, The Commune of France. 'They are welcomed to get a demonstration of exactly how well the Hellenic Forces can project their power globally' -The Athenian Federation.'"

Erdstrom thought about the quotations by Wilmington. He knew he had to say something.

“Let me once again repeat the quotations that have been uttered by President Wilmington here. These are quotations which can arise from one thing and one thing only: provocation. “Do not underestimate our strength and you surely overestimate your own”. Think on this. That is not a statement - that is a [i]reply[/i] – and further it is a reply to clear provocation. War results from provocation, and as the Vizier of Pravus Ingruo has said, how many of us have the power, even together, to withstand the consequences of that provocation? If Pravus Ingruo refuses to sign on to a policy of provocation, ultimatums, and political union in the Americas, they are following a wise policy indeed.

“I repeat what I have said before: it is our cooperation in economic matters that will unify the Americas. Here is my question: on my map, the Louisiana Federation has no land in the Bahamas. Why then are they engaging Athenian forces? The willingness of a nation to act unilaterally if such a Forum as this does not produced [i]their[/i] desired end speaks to a lack of desire on the part of many to actually achieve cooperation and unity: they are looking for allies in war, not good neighbours in all things. I ask the delegates here – all delegates here – whether this describes them, and whether they [i]want[/i] it to describe them. I think we will be able to say as a whole that none of us want this to describe us: we are here because we believe in cooperation, not unilateral action and warlike provocation.

“The Confederation of Kukloi has already made clear its stance on this issue: we will not provoke a war we cannot fight, let alone win. We will not let others do our fighting for us. We are a community which believes in preparation and security – we do not believe in chaos and disunity – but it must be clear that preparation and security comes from building a community, not building an alliance bloc. I look to President Narino and Vizier Church, who have spoken wisely on this subject. I think it is important to ponder the wisdom of their stance and refuse to get caught up in the passions which lead down the path to global war.

“Furthermore, if Louisiana has fought a war and successfully defended itself, it seems clear to us all that those who under the greatest threat are already prepared to meet the challenges of their foreign policy without involving others. The Confederation of Kukloi is willing to support efforts of nations to defend themselves against Imperialist aggression where that aggression is clear. However, where that aggression has been provoked – where it has been invited, and where the road to peace has been ignored, the Confederation as well as, I hope, many others here, are not willing to commit supplies, industry, raw materials, and blood to opposition to vengeance.”

Erdstrom took his seat again and looked to Vizier Church for his response. Odinnson would be extremely displeased about closely relating to the Empire because of its treatment of the Confederation during the Cuba débâcle, but Erdstrom could see no reason to oppose one of the few allies he seemed to have at the Forums.

President Littlewood would respond directly to Von Erdstrom with "Well we have come together to promote unity and some people here have said we need to prevent foreign colonialism. I personally think that a confrontation will happen sooner or later. Would you rather have any foreign force preparing for it or would you rather catch them before they have the ability to use their holdings to attack the Mainland itself?"

[quote name='Curristan' timestamp='1326311420' post='2897503']
President Littlewood would respond directly to Von Erdstrom with "Well we have come together to promote unity and some people here have said we need to prevent foreign colonialism. I personally think that a confrontation will happen sooner or later. Would you rather have any foreign force preparing for it or would you rather catch them before they have the ability to use their holdings to attack the Mainland itself?"
[/quote]

"Your Excellency speaks as though we all already have decided enemies throughout the world. We are not talking about military tactics and catching an enemy in battle by surprise: we are talking about foreign powers which we already know they have the ability to attack [i]if we provoke them to war[/i]. Is it not better to remove the cause of colonialism by making ourselves strong rather than depart on a fool's errand to [i]defeat[/i] an ideology which will not vanish until its sources are destroyed. What you are actually talking about is not civil defense, but global war on a total scale: a war so all-encompassing as to engulf entire nations' resources and may go on indefinitely? I turn my question away from Your Excellency and toward the entire Forum. I ask you: [i]do you want total war? Do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?[/i] I would expect only lunatics to answer 'yes'." Erdstrom resumed his seat, hoping he had driven the point home. Kuklos was not interested in war with Tianxia, and Erdstrom knew that the Pontiff wanted representatives from all major European and Asian powers to know that the Confederation was not going to participate in war against them unless singularly attacked.

OOC: Scissors beats paper, but Goebbels beats Star Trek quotes. Your move, Isaac. :awesome:

[quote name='Isaac MatthewII' timestamp='1326314989' post='2897540']
'Silence fell when the question was asked'Smith decided to break the silence..."There is no proper reason for war yet. We need to beat these powers economically before we attempt war."

OOC:Doctor who quote wins it...wut now bruh
[/quote]
"What we've got here is failure to communicate. It would have been nice for everyone to agree on an attack I'm sure but they would never have had the element of surprise had they mentioned anything of the sort in this room. Of that I have no doubt. And anyhow, how are we meant to beat them economically? Sanctions of any kind on them would hurt us as equally. As I said before co-operation is the best action to take."

Governor Bronston stood up to speak. [i]"Yet again I find myself agreeing with the Kuklos delegate. I came here under the presumption this meeting was going to be to promote American political and economic unity. I did not come here expecting to participate in a war council. Most of the nation's here don't have the will nor means to wage this crusade to liberate the Americas. The ones that do are either friendly with the foreign powers or don't wish to get involved which is probably a wise idea. If there is an unprovoked attack against us or our closer neighbors we would be willing to intervene but I see no sense in sending my country's youth to die and risk the annihilation of my nation participating in what is currently an impossible venture. I suggest we steer this discussion towards something more constructive."[/i]

OOC: Edit for grammer

Edited by Altarian Republic

[quote name='King Timmy' timestamp='1326315681' post='2897546']
"What we've got here is failure to communicate. It would have been nice for everyone to agree on an attack I'm sure but they would never have had the element of surprise had they mentioned anything of the sort in this room. Of that I have no doubt. And anyhow, how are we meant to beat them economically? Sanctions of any kind on them would hurt us as equally. As I said before co-operation is the best action to take."
[/quote]

"I would have to agree with Panama here."