[img]http://images.tgecn.com/mop/maps/KuklosKonfederacy7.png[/img]
Peace Flag
[img]http://images.tgecn.com/mop/maps/KuklosWar.png[/img]
War Flag[/center]

[size="5"][u]Brief Overview[/u][/size]

[b]Government[/b]: Feudal Monarchy under Supreme Pontiff
[b]Religion[/b]: Nominally Catholic, actually Neoplatonic Orthodoxy
[b]Population[/b]: 9,893,527
[b]Capital City[/b]: Paulstadt (Paulosopolis, fmr. St. Paul) [temporary]; Eccardopolis [under construction]
[b]Largest City[/b]: Minneburg (fmr. Minneapolis)
[b]Currency[/b]: Thaler
[b]Major Industries[/b]: Agriculture, mining, oil-drilling, shipping
[b]Ethnicities[/b]: 20% German, 40% German-American, 20% Scandinavian-American, 10% Irish-American, 6% English-American, 3% Amerindian, 1% Other European-American
[b]Languages[/b]: German, English, Latin (administrative, religious), Greek (religious)
[b]Fertility rate[/b]: 15.81
[b]Birth rate[/b]: 3.13
[b]Suffrage[/b]: Males over 25 with titled noble lineage

[size="5"][u]National Institutions[/u][/size]

[b]Official Charter of Foundation[/b]
[quote]
I.
We gathered here, made brethren by that Great Truth Manifest which did reveal Himself to us in the land of our fathers, and, as witnesses to the Light of this Truth, declare ourselves a sovereign nation of common blood, common soil, common wisdom, and common ignorance. Beneath the sway of the mystical Circle of ordained Priests and earthly Lords we shall be united as a sovereign [i]Confederation[/i] of autonomous estates and manors, united by the Supreme Pontiff and ordained vessel of the Truth and Wise Governance, who shall be sovereign Lord of All Manors, Grand Master of the Order of the Brethren of the Holy Name, and Sovereign of All [i]Κυκλοι[/i]. Thus shall we be the [i]Confederation of the Κυκλος[/i] or [i]Confederation of Κυκλοι[/i], known to outsiders as the [b]Kuklos Confederacy[/b].

II.
We shall be a Circle of Believers in a single, common faith, taught to us by the single Λογος, who is Christ, and revealed to his followers throughout the history of our people. We shall be devoted to the defence and service of the Light of the One, of whom is the Λογος and from whom the Λογος flows and by whom, through the Λογος, all things are made. We shall take upon ourselves the motto and device in the mystical tongues of the ancients that [i]deo vindice[/i] or [i]θεός τόν ἐκδικητήν[/i] – for “God vindicates” us and “God avenges” wrongs against us - that none may do us wrong with impunity before the One.

III.
The Law of this Confederation shall be that which is made by the [i]Pontifex Maximus[/i], overseeing the Inner Circle of that [b]Order of the Brethren of the Holy Name[/b]. It shall be enforced by the Outer Circle, who shall be the [b]Order of the All-Seeing Eye[/b]. It shall be obeyed by all Circles, who stand beneath the illumined Gaze of the One whose sight is full of light, and Who dictates law and order to the Brethren of the Holy Name, mystical and ineffable, of the One.

IV.
The Governance of this Confederation shall conform to the teachings of National-Aristocratism, as proposed and expounded by Sigurd Odinnson.

V.
The Armies of the Confederation shall be commanded by the Grand Master ([i]Magister Maximus[/i]) of the [b]Knights of the Κυκλοι[/b], who shall be detached from the Order of the All-Seeing Eye. He shall be styled Magister Maximus and Ritter-Kommandant ("Knight-Commander"), subject only to the Pontifex Maximus.

VI.
The Banner which the Knights of the Κυκλοι shall carry before them shall be a white-fimbriated symmetric blue cross on a red field with a white-fimbriated counterchanged saltire of blue and white. The flag which shall be borne on all vessels and buildings in peacetime shall be as blood, and in its canton shall bear a white-fimbriated symmetric blue cross with a single white star in its centre on a red field with a white-fimbriated counterchanged saltire of blue and white.

VII.
The Arms of this new Confederacy shall be gules a saltire azure, fimbriated argent; for grand arms, an eagle sable armed and langued sable, Crowned with the Pontifical Tiara.

VIII.
The State dress of the Pontifex Maximus shall be a Tiara of three crowns in imitation of the Papal Tiara, bearing the crown of a Duke of Hochheim, the crown of the Elector of Zweistromland and the Royal Crown of Eccardopolis, which shall be the Manor of the Pontiff himself. The Pontiff shall be styled "Your Holiness" and "His Holiness". All bearing the title Magister Maximus shall be "Your Grace" or "His Grace". None of the female sex, nor any non-initiate to the Order of the Brethren of the Holy Name shall bear these titles.[/quote]

[u]Government[/u]
[b]Noble[/b]
[u]Diet of Estates General[/u] ([i]Generalständestag[/i], [i]Comitium Communum Statuum[/i])
[indent]Gathering of the Nobility, Clergy, and Representatives of Landed Gentry for the entire Confederation, called thrice yearly by the Pontiff to handle manorial disputes, tax and tariff adjustments, and once every two years to elevate new members of the nobility. It may also gather of its own accord to petition the Supreme Pontiff for immediate action in regard to a certain thing, such as an inheritance dispute upon the sudden death of a nobleman. Only [i]titled[/i] nobles (explained below) are entitled to voting membership, and are elected from their general district yearly (i.e. only one Count from every Duchy, one Prince from every County, etc.), called by the King every ten years and intermittently when the occasion demands. The [i]Comitium[/i] at given times may find itself divided into leagues; as of the present, there are three, each stressing the importance of a different aspect of manorial administration. These are
[list][*] The Agricultural League ([i]Concilium Georgicus[/i], [i]Bauerliga[/i]) focuses not just on farming and husbandry, but on the importance of a Lord to directly administer his manor rather than pursue his wealth through private companies and mercantile ventures. The Agricultural League are staunch opponents to the institution of slavery as a threat to contractual serfdom.
[*] The League of Merchants ([i]Concilium Mercatorum[/i], [i]Kaufmansbund[/i]) is in direct opposition to the AL on the issue of a Lord’s necessary involvement with his estate, and is in favour of lower taxes in general, supporting the right of individual nobles to deploy their serfs in non-agricultural capacities (such as factory workers and miners) and supplement their work with slave labour. The LoM is by and far the strongest proponent of a slave trade in the Confederation.
[*] The Soldiers’ League ([i]Concilium Militum[/i], [i]Kämpferbund[/i]) is the smallest league, chiefly concerned with the manner in which soldiery is raised from the estates and supporting a general draft of serfs to support the military. Most of its positions are opposed by the AL except for its criticism of the used of serfs in capacities off the Lord’s given estate. It otherwise generally allies itself with the LoM. [/indent]

[b]Ecclesiastical[/b]
The Order of Brethren of the Holy Name ([i]Ordo Fratrum Nominis Sanctis[/i], [i]Orden der Brüder des heilige Name[/i])
[indent]Often simply called “the Brothers”, the OBHN is the principle religious body of the Confederation, this is headed by the [i]Magister Maximus[/i] and Pontifex Maximus under his religious name as Frater Heraclitus. It is headquartered presently in the city of Paulstadt, but will move to its permanent home upon the completion of the St. Eckhart Abbey, connected to St. John Chrysostom University just outside of the city. It’s patron is St. John Chysostom and its motto is "οὐκ ἐμοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ λόγου", or "Not by me, but by the logos". It’s religious attire is a black habit and crimson scapular.[/indent]
The Holy Order of the All-Seeing Eye ([i]Ordo Oculi Providentiae[/i], [i]Orden des Allsehendes Auge[/i])
[indent]The police and military religious order, more often simply called “the Order” and cofused with its most visible representative, the Inquisition. It oversees all police, military, and espionage work within and outside of the Confederation. At its head is the feared [i]Cognoscens Maximus[/i] (“Grand Inquisitor”) Maximillian Dietrich Graf von Hörbiger, who also oversees the National Inquisition to root out heresies and religious rebellions. [/indent]

[b]Royal[/b]
His Holiness the Supreme Pontiff of All Κυκλοι ([i]Pontifex Maximus Kuklorum[/i])
[indent]His Holiness the Supreme Pontiff is chief executive, Head of State and Head of Government for the entirety of the Confederation. His actual office is Imperial in nature, both serving as a liege-lord to all noble subjects and also being elected as Supreme Pontiffs by the assembled Electors of the Estates General at the command of the preceding Pontiff. The Pontifex Maximus resides outside of the Estate system, and therefore has very little to do with the Estates General unless specifically summoned. He holds control over the appointment of Ministers and well as the elecvation of new nobles.[/indent]

The Cancellarius, Magisteria and Adjutoria
[indent]The Magisteria are offices which administer specific aspects of business within the Confederation. Each Magisterium is split in administration between a Magister and an Adjutor – being the primary and the secondary executives of the Magisterium. Roughly, these are the ministries. At the head of all the Ministries, and also overseeing the Diet of Estates General in the absence of the Pontiff is the Cancellarius or Chancellor of the Confederation. All Magisters, except that of War and Intelligence, who is also the [i]Magister Maximus[/i] of the Knights of the Κυκλοι, and the Cancellarius are members of the Brothers, though not all are initiated to the Priesthood. The Magisters are
[list]
[*][i]Cancellarius[/i] of the Confederation : Andreas Jürgen Ritter von Schildhafen
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Foreign Affairs : Karl Ritter von Kahlstein
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Monies and Merchants : Matthais Ritter von Oberheer
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Education and Public Enlightenment : Joachim Freiherr von Karlstad
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Farming and Husbandry : Frederick (Ritter von) Shepherd
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Administration of the Faith : Jorg Graf von Linz (Frater Georgius)
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Illness and Hospitals : Gerhard Johann Freiherr von Gotter
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Armament and Weaponry : August Joachim Landgraf von Borchard
[*][i]Magister[/i] of Justice and the Inquisition : Maximillian Dietrich Graf von Hörbiger
[*][i]Magister[/i] of War and Intelligence : Bedford (Ritter von) Forrest[/list]
[/indent]

[b]Military[/b]
The Knights of the Κυκλοι
[indent]The Armed Forces of the Confederacy, the Knights of the Kuklos are headed by Magister Maximus and Ritter-Kommandant (Knight-Commander) Bedford Forrest, officially titled Bedford Ritter von Forrest, which he rarely uses. His knights have the distinction of actually being horsemen, since he uses cavalry to patrol the often rough terrain of the Confederacy quickly and silently. In the MBT, his horsemen are known to strike in the night against suspected rebel strongholds wearing crude masks to cover their features, usually armed with pistols, shotguns, and swords to accomplish their deed of discouraging rebellion through fear.[/indent]

[size="5"][u]Geography and Polities[/u][/size]

[img]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8081/kuklosmap.png[/img]

[b]Political Subdivisions (Kukloi):[/b]
[i]Paulstadt[/i], the area immediately surrounding the former metropolis of Minneapolis-St. Paul
[i]Zweistromland[/i], the “land of two rivers” is the territory between the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, used largely for farming and quaries.
[i]Military Border Territory[/i], a stretch of land on the Confederacy’s southern border under direct military control due to the threat of rebellion as well as for security of the border against immigration.
[i]Auerochse[/i], named for the ancient Aurochs, this territory is used mainly as grazing territory for animal husbandry and is home to almost all of the Confederacy’s free-roaming bison.
[i]Dakota[/i], so named for the savage tribe that inhabited this beautiful, but largely depopulated, land in the north of the Confederacy. It is now the source of the Confederacy’s massive shale-oil reserves, and possibly the richest of all the territories.

These "Κυκλοι", or "Circles", constitute the Kingdoms of the Confederacy, each of which has its own ruler in the Order of Brethren ("the Brothers"), but the real political subdivisions are the hundreds of thousands of manors, estates, and plantations which dot the landscape and which are owned and administered by Lords either in the Inner or Outer Circle of the Confederacy’s government, or local members of the Aristocracy. The ratio of freemen to serfs in the Zweistromland Kuklos is roughly 1:3, while it is 1:6 in the Auerochse Kuklos. Smaller lords and knights own the plantations in the Military Border Territory, which are worked almost exclusively by slave labour derived from prisoners and rebels. Serfdom is nowhere to be found here: the freemen of the MBT are not allowed to enter such a contract. The Dakota Kuklos represent one of the few places where serfs are almost the exclusive form of labour used for [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracking]fracking[/url] and drilling.

[b]Social Ranks and Manor System[/b]

The economy of Kuklos is largely dependent on a system of tariffs exacted by the Pontifex Maximus as Lord of his own Manor as well as the several thousand fiefs over which he has absolute control as Monarch of the Zweistromland Kuklos and elected Pontifex Maximus by the other rulers in the Confederation, each having the title “Dominus” except the ruler of the Military Border Territory, which is a non-voting member of the Confederation. None of this is written, lest the Tradition it represents be made into fragile Law.

The rulers of the Kukloi are:

Zweistromland Kuklos : Dominus Sigurd (Odinnson) I, Kurfürst (Elector) von Zweistromland
Aeurochse Kuklos: Dominus August (Joachim Landgraf von Borchard) I, Kurfürst von Aeurochse
Paulstadt Kuklos: Dominus Karl (Ritter von Kahlstein) I, Kurfürst von Paulstadt
Dakota Kuklos: Dominus Matthais (Ritter von Oberheer) I, Kurfürst von Dakota
Military Border Territory: Dominus Bedford (Ritter von) Forrest, Markgraf von Heeresmark

Each of these executes certain power over the manors under them. The Military Border Territory is unique in that it is entirely under military administration, and therefore military ranks (used below) are used instead of the official Manorial Titles.

These Manorial Titles are as follows:

[b]Kurfürst[/b] (Elector) [von] – Electorate*
[b]Erzherzog[/b] (Archduke) [von] – Erzherzogtum (Archduchy*)
[b]Herzog[/b] (Duke) [von] – Herzogtum (Duchy)
[b]Graf[/b] (Count) [von] – County (Grafschaft)
[b]Markgraf[/b] (Margrave) [von] – Mark (March)
[b]Landgraf[/b] (Landgrave) [von] – Landgrafschaft (Landgraviate)
[b]Fürst[/b] (Prince) [in] – Fürstentum (Principality)
[b]Burggraf[/b] (Burgrave) [von] – Burg (Metropolis)
[b]Freiherr[/b] (Baron) [von] – Freiherrschaft (Barony)
[b]Edler Herr[/b] (Noble Lord)** [von] – Herrschaft (Lordship)
[b]Ritter[/b] (Knight)*** [von] – Rittergut (Knightly Estate)
[b]Edler[/b] (Noble)** [von] – Gut (Estate)
[b]Junker[/b] (Junior Noble)** [von] – Herrenhaus (Lordly Manor)

*(All Electors are also whatever their original noble title was before being made an Elector. This is called their [i]real title[/i].

**These are [i]untitled[/i] nobles, meaning that when their names are written they exclude their titles. Compare, for example, Joachim [i]Freiherr von[/i] Karlstad to Anton von Reichengau, Edler von Reichengau – in the latter case the title is after the name rather than part of the name. This distinction exists to separate those eligible to be members of the OBHN from those who are not.

***The Ritter (Knight) is an exception of the “lower nobles” in that he gains his title through military service to a higher Lord. In this way, while an Edler Herr will answer to a Freiherr in the hierarchy, a Ritter will be a Retainer to none lower than a [b]Graf[/b], but likewise a [b]Ritter[/b] may not be Lord of a [b]Markgraf[/b] , [b]Landgraf[/b] , [b]Fürst[/b] , [b]Burggraf[/b] , [b]Freiherr[/b] , or [b]Edler Herr[/b] – essentially he exists outside of the hierarchy, since he is equal to the immediate retainer of any who elevates him; therefore, if a Ritter is elevated by a Kurfürst, that Knight may still only be Lord of an Edler or Junker, but he cannot be made answerable to anyone lower than an Erzherzog. Likewise, if elevated by a Herzog, he may be Lord over only an Edler or Junker, but cannot be made answerable to any lower than a Herzog, and so on. Thus, all the Ritters who are in the OBHN and therefore in the government as Magisters have all been elevated as Ritters by the Pontifex Maximus himself. As explained above, they retain the title “Ritter” even when elevated to Kurfürst, as Matthais Ritter von Oberheer and Karl Ritter von Kahlstein have.

The Estates themselves all answer to one another, and have set ranks both in the manorial elections (titled nobles gather to elect representatives to petition the government for changes to local policy regarding serfdom contracts and the division of inheritance, in addition to other issues, such as tax policy). These ranks, however, can also be somewhat confusing because certain nobles may be both of a higher rank (like a Graf) as well as a lower rank (like a Freiherr) depending on inheritance and assignment of territories by given lords. For example, for services rendered, an Edler may find himself assigned to a full Fürstentum by a fortunate marriage; he will retain his original Gut and there be Edler, but will become Fürst elsewhere. In order to prevent abuse as well as to protect inheritance, the Manorial Court ruled that no lord could possess two estates within the same Kuklos.

[size="5"][u]History[/u][/size]

The Confederation of Κυκλοι was formed by followers of Sigurd Odinnson, who left the land of Hochheim in central Germany in search of a new land after careful consideration with the Elders of Hochheim. These elders had welcomed Odinnson and his Order of Brethren of the Holy Name after the latter had left Niflunga, the nation which he formed with Sigurð Angatyrsson on the basis of National Aristocratism, a political ideology whose central tenets include the rule of a strict caste system dominated by nobles elevated by a single ordained Leader of government, the rule of this single, absolute leader by decree, national economic independence, and the domination of society by a single unified spiritual Weltanschauung.

The National-Aristocratist movement split in half after a massive conversion event on April 30, 19--, when then-Vísir Odinnson and his inner circle had a powerful revelation of the nature of divinity and of their ordained mission. Those who did not witness what soon became known only as The Event were sceptical, and unwilling to leave their polytheistic faith of Ásatrú. Their leader, Siegfried Hohenstaufen, challenged Odinnson’s leadership, to which Odinnson responded “in the interest of avoiding bloodshed” to step down and leave. He found a home in the small village of Hochheim, where he and his followers (then just fifty in number) were welcomed by the Elders of the town and he revealed as the Pontifex of the religious community there. After some time of peaceful existence, it was decided that he take his followers and seek a new home which was more suited to them than the tiny village under German control. He and his community, now in much larger numbers, travelled Europe in search of a means to leave the continent.

Along the way, they encountered a mercenary band under the direction of Bedford Forrest, an American born in Europe was was in search of his family and identity. His followers, the Knights of the Bloodied Sword, had made a living as soldiers of fortune, dealing arms and assisting various groups with their ideological goals. They came from all over Europe, some Irishmen, some from France, some of Scandinavia, and an odd American in the mix. While some of the Knights had drifted toward various ideologies themselves, the core of the group became obsessed, like Forrest, in finding an identity for themselves. Forrest spoke German and English, so they spent most of their time working in places where these languages could make them money. When Odinnson encountered them, they had commandeered some cargo ships and were planning of shipping out to Africa to overthrow a government there and “play with the big boys” as one of them described it to the Pontiff.

Odinnson convinced them that they had been placed in his path and had a purpose to which they had not yet been made privy. He invited them to join him and sail instead for the Americas, where he hoped to establish his own small national community. Forrest, eager to discover his roots, and his men, eager to serve some purpose, joined the religious band and sailed to the Caribbean. They landed on the island of Cuba and, finding what they thought was a chaotic tribal government, made an attempt to seize the land and establish the Confederation of Kuklos. The effort, however, proved abortive when the military power of Pravus Ingruo became involved and threatened destruction of the fledgling nation. Odinnson, concerned to lose what little he had, ordered a new ship found and new tides explored.

After a brief interlude in Trinidad at the invitation of a sympathising government, the Kuklosians found themselves contacted by the government of Canada, hearing of their plight and offering them a sizeable homestead. Odinnson ordered them to sail for the St. Lawrence, which they navigated unmolested before entering the Great Lakes. They landed at Duluth two weeks later, and the Confederation of the Κυκλοι was born.

[b]Original Declaration of Purpose ("Constitution")[/b]
[quote]We here assembled, made brothers by that great Truth which did reveal itself in the land of our fathers, and, in the Light of the Heavens did guide us to this new and rich land, declare ourselves a sovereign nation, a community of blood, of toil, of common knowledge and common ignorance. Here, in this land of plenty, shall we make our home, raise a nation to ourselves and an army for common defence. Long may the light shine on our Circle.

We shall style this community the Confederacy of the Κυκλος, or Kuklos Confederacy, being a Circle of Believers and those devoted to the defence and service of the Light of the One. Under His Single Great Eye shall we accomplish all, build all, conquer all within and without ourselves. In Him are we vindicated. So shall we take the motto and declare, in the mystical languages of our fathers, deo vindice – θεός τόν ἐκδικητήν – for “God vindicates” and “God avenges”.

The Law of this Confederacy shall be that which is dictated to the Inner Circle of those Brothers of the Holy Name. It shall be enforced by the Outer Circle, the Order of the All-Seeing Eye. It shall be obeyed by all circles, who stand beneath the Gaze of that One whose sight is ever Lit, and who dictates law and order to the Brothers of the Holy Name, carefully guarded, of the One.

The Armies of the Confederacy shall be commanded by the Grand Master of the Knights of the Kuklos, who shall be subject to the Order of the All-Seeing Eye. He shall be styled Grand Master and Knight-Commander, subject only to the Pontifex Maximus, whose power shall extend over all Circles, all brothers, and all orders. This Pontiff shall be as a bridge, a vessel through which the message of that Unnameable One is carried to all Circles.

The Banner which the Armies of the Confederacy shall carry before them shall be as blood, bisected with two crosses which shall be the blue, which is the colour of the soul, and white of its chastity, bearing the stars which manifest that light which “shines forth in the darkness” and which that darkness comprehends not. Thirteen shall be the number of the stars, arranged such that the outer cross, which shall be a saltire, shall bear eight and the inner cross shall bear four of equal size and a single large star in the centre of the flag, for that single star which guides all men to the Light of the World.[/quote]

Edited by Sigurd Odinnson

[center][size="5"][u][b]Military Organisation[/b][/u][/size][/center]

[size="5"][u]Military Ranks[/u][/size]

All Military Power in the Confederation is vested in the Knights of the Κυκλοι under Knight-Commander Bedford Forrest. The core of this body was the original Knights of the Bloodied Sword which roamed Europe for several years as soldiers of fortune before joining Sigurd Odinnson’s group under the Order of the Brothers of the Holy Name. Briefly, during the Cuban expedition, the ranks were simply divided as

Ritter-Kommandant (Knight-Commander)
Ritter-Leutnant (Knight-Lieutenant)
Ritter (Knight)

The ranks were subsequently enlarged with the arrival in the present Confederation to include more ranks and allow for divisional organisation of the armed forces. They keep the basic structure of the original KBS, but extend to include the specific command each rank has.

The present ranks are:

[b]Ritter-Kommandant[/b] (Knight-Commander) – Head of the Armed Forces
[b]Rittermarschall[/b] (Knight-Marshal) – Field Marshall, commanding a theatre of battle
[b]Ritter[/b] (Knight) – General, commanding an army
[b]Oberstritter[/b] (Colonel Knight) – Colonel General, commanding a specific type of Legions in the field
[b]General[/b] – Major General, commanding between 1 and 3 Legions
[b]Oberst[/b] – Colonel, commanding 1 Legion
[b]Oberstleutnant[/b] – Lieutenant Colonel, commanding 1 Kohort
[b]Brigadier[/b] – Brigadier, commanding 1 Brigade (detached)
[b]Leutnant[/b] – Lieutenant, commanding 1 Batallion
[b]Zenturion[/b] – Captain, commanding 1 Zenturium
[b]Feldwebel[/b] – Sergeant, commanding 1 Zeltgemeinschaft
[b]Gefreiter[/b] – Corporal, commanding 1 Feuerbrigade

The military units of the Knights of the Kuklos are as follows:

[b]Knights of the Kuklos[/b]: 34,344 men (Armed Forces) [OOC: as of 6 January 2011]
[b]Armeegruppe[/b]: between 5-10 Armies (Army Group, Theatre)
[b]Armee[/b]: 20,000 men (Army)
[b]Legion[/b]: 3,000-5,000 men (Division)
[b]Kohort[/b]/[b]Brigade[/b]: 1,000-3,000 men (Brigade)
[b]Batallion[/b]: 440 men (Battalion)
[b]Zenturium[/b]: 80 men (Centuria/Company)
[b]Zeltgemeinschaft[/b]: 20 men (Contubernium/Squad)
[b]Feuerbrigade[/b]: 4 men (fireteam)

In addition to this, there are specific Legions which together fall under the command of the Oberstritter for that sector - these include
[i]Infantrielegion[/i] (Infantry)
[i]Grenadierlegion[/i] (Heavy Infantry)
[i]Jägerlegion [/i](Mountain)
[i]Artillerielegion[/i] (Artillery)
[i]Panzerlegion[/i] (Armour)
[i]Ritterlegion[/i] (Mounted)
[i]Flugritterlegion[/i] (Air Cavalry)
[i]Technikerlegion [/i](Engineers)
[i]Kommunikationlegion[/i] (Communications & Radar)
[i]Flaklegion [/i](Anti-Air)
[i]Spezialeinheitlegion[/i] (Special Forces)
[i]Triarii [/i](Home Guard, reserved for Veteran troops)
[i]Fliegerlegion[/i] (Flying Korps, Army Air Force)

In addition to the main body of the Knights, there are also two Auxilliary branches to cover naval vessels. These troops under the designated [i]Armata[/i] of the Knights are headed up by Admiral William “Bull” (Freiherr von) Barbary, who was in charge of requisitioning all ships and other sea-going vessels under Forrest in the Knights of the Bloodied Sword. He answers directly to Ritter-Kommandant Forrest in all matters.

The ranks of the Armata differ from the rest of the Knights, being sea-borne.

[b]Großadmiral[/b] (Grand Admiral) – Head of the Navy and all Fleets
[b]Generaladmiral[/b] (General-Admiral) – Admiral in charge of a theatre of battle
[b]Admiral[/b] – Admiral, commanding a Fleet (at least two task forces)
[b]Vizeadmiral[/b]– Vice Admiral, commanding a Task Force (up to three flotillas)
[b]Konteradmiral[/b] – Rear Admiral, commanding a Flotilla (up to five ships of the same type)
[b]Kommodore-Admiral[/b] – Commodore, commanding a Carrier Battle Group (one carrier + two flotillas)
[b]Kapitän-zur-See[/b] – Captain, commanding a Carrier or Battleship
[b]Fregattenkapitän[/b] – Frigate Captain, commanding a Frigate (Battlecruiser, Cruiser)
[b]Korvettenkapitän[/b] – Corvette Captain, commanding a Corvette (Destroyer, Minelayer, U-Boat, Minesweeper, etc.
[b]Leutnantkapitän[/b] – Lieutenant, commanding a Boat, or First Mate aboard a Ship
[b]Fahnträger[/b] – Ensign, serving as Second Mate of a Ship
[b]Unteroffizier[/b] – Passed Midshipman, awaiting commission as Lieutenant
[b]Seekadet[/b] – Midshipman, commanding 1 Feurbrigade

The Armata chiefly concerns itself with river patrol along the Mississippi, Missouri, and Minnesota Rivers, but is also deployed to defend Kuklosian interests in Lake Superior, which is divided up into three zones: the Canadian, Midwestern, and Kuklosian, with the Kuklosian being known as the “Kuklosian Seaway” under regular patrol by the Armata:

[img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8872/lakesuperior.png[/img]

[size="5"][u]Military Uniforms[/u][/size]

It is hard to determine a standard uniform for the army of the Confederation because individuals lords are required to summon soldiers at the call of the Pontiff. Each Fürst is expected to raise an army to himself for the defence of his lands against foreign aggression and native thievery, but his actual rank in the army typically is no higher than an Oberstleutnant, but no lower than a Zenturion. The so-called “Enlisted Officers”, what might in other places be called NCOs, are drawn from the Edlers and Herrs, while the actual soldiers are typically peasants – except in the case of cavalry (mounted, armoured, air cavalry), which are almost always derived from the lowest ranking Ritters.

There are some general trends all uniforms follow. First of all, they are all tunics of medium length with utility belts. They are generally coloured white, grey, slate, or cream, and all wear black slacks. Beyond this, soldiers are largely expected to maintain order according to their immediate commanding officer, who is typically their own liege-lord. Disobedience and insubordination are dealt with swiftly by superior officers rather than individual commanders largely to prevent abuse. However, nobles are generally trusted to treat their soldiers (and serfs) fairly and justly, and when rumours abound about a particular noble, he faces retribution “of the severest species” according to the code of military honour.

Uniforms are much more uniformed when one looks at the government. All Brothers (OBHN) are required to wear religious habits, consisting of a black robe and hood with a crimson scapular. Novices do not wear the scapular, but can be seen in black cowls and white belts and typically remain hooded, since they do not wear a tonsure. They are rarely seen, however, since the harsh novitiate of the OBHN requires complete severing of contact with all other people, often for years at a time, during which the only communication the novice has, aside from prayer, is orders to do tasks by their Superior. The Superior of a monastic community is distinguished by his beard, which remains unshaven while he is Superior or Abbot, as well as by his white cloak, which replaces the crimson scapular. Ordained members of the OBHN, i.e. those who may function as priests outside of the OBHN and are entitled to preach publicly, are distinguished by a golden pectorale of the Chi-Rho symbol.

The Order differs significantly from the Brothers because of its explicit role in the administration of the Faith. Its members do not wear monastic robes but cassocks, coloured according to their specific role. The sole exception is in security, which wear trousers and Roman collars to facilitate easier movement. Security always dress in crimson and a white Roman collar. Other colours for the cassock include black for novices in the Order, purple for members of the Inquisition, navy for military police, and white for chaplains. In addition to the cassock, all branches wear a white fascia (a sash worn around the midsection), and a mozzetta matching the colour of their division. The exceptions to this are novices, who wear a black fascia, and ordinary priests of the chaplaincy, who wear no mozzetta and whose cassocks use hooks instead of buttons. In addition to these habits, Pontiffs Minor (essentially, bishops) of the Inquisition also wear a golden cope and a silver pectorale of the Chi-Rho. Likewise, Superiors of all branches have black piping to distinguish them from lower-ranking members and are distinguished by the pectorale of the Chi-Rho.

The Knights of the Kuklos, being the military, are only uniformed at the highest level. Here, generally only Ritter-Kommandant Forrest is distinguished by his blue-grey tunic, white pants with gold stripe, and mirror-finish (typically) black riding boots. His collar is gold with the Chi-Rho symbol to distinguish him as Ritter-Kommandant. Also, as a recipient of Odinnson’s Blutkreuz (full name: [i]Kreuz des heilige Blut[/i], or “Cross of the Holy Blood”) medal, he wears a red sash and the Blutkreuz itself about his neck. He also wears a gold sash from which hangs his cavalry sword. All his subordinates wear white tunics and black slacks with red collars and gold stars to distinguish their ranks. They wear belts, rather than sashes, which are silver with a buckle bearing the Chi-Rho.

The Ranks of the Confederation are as follows:

[b]Ritter-Kommandant[/b] – Golden Chi-Rho, Yellow collar
[b]Rittermarschall[/b] – Four golden stars, Red collar
[b]Ritter[/b] (Knight) – Three golden stars, Red collar
[b]Oberstritter[/b] – Two silver stars, collar according to Legion type
[b]General[/b] – Two golden stars, Red collar
[b]Oberst[/b] – One golden star, Red collar
[b]Oberstleutnant[/b] – One silver star between two vertical bars
[b]Brigadier[/b] – One silver star, collar according to type of Brigade
[b]Leutnant[/b] – Three silver vertical bars
[b]Zenturion[/b] – Two silver vertical bars
[b]Feldwebel[/b] – One silver vertical bar
[b]Gefreiter[/b] – Silver X

Collar colours differ based on the type of Kohort or Legion:
[i]Infantrielegion[/i]: White
[i]Grenadierlegion[/i]: Black
[i]Jägerlegion [/i]: Indigo
[i]Artillerielegion[/i]: Purple
[i]Panzerlegion[/i]: Green
[i]Ritterlegion[/i]: Yellow
[i]Flugritterlegion[/i]: Dark Green
[i]Technikerlegion [/i]: Grey
[i]Kommunikationlegion[/i]: Orange
[i]Flaklegion [/i]: Blue
[i]Spezialeinheitlegion[/i]: Dark Yellow
[i]Triarii[/i]: Red
[i]Fliegerlegion[/i]: Bright Blue

Regardless of the uniform the soldier is wearing (and they [i]do[/i] vary) this rank system is always in place to distinguish rank. These are illustrated below:

[b]Ritter-Kommandant[/b]
[img]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6505/ritterkommandant.png[/img]

[b]Rittermarschall[/b]
[img]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5635/rittermarschall.png[/img]

[b]Ritter[/b]
[img]http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/451/ritter.png[/img]
[b]
Oberstritter (Anti-Air)[/b]
[img]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2522/oberstritter.png[/img]

[b]General[/b]
[img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5649/generalh.png[/img]

[b]Oberst[/b]
[img]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9675/oberst.png[/img]

[b]Oberstleutnant[/b] (Flaklegion, Mark Schoenhausen)
[img]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4688/oberstleutnant.png[/img]

[b]Brigadier[/b] (Flakbrigade, Minneburg [fmr. Minneapolis])
[img]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5733/brigadierb.png[/img]

[b]Leutnant[/b] (Grenadier, Mark Humboldt)
[img]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3159/leutnant.png[/img]

[b]Zenturion[/b] (Grenadier, Fürstentum Mesüre)
[img]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5207/zenturion.png[/img]

[b]Feldwebel[/b] (Grenadier, Minneburg)
[img]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/776/feldwebelc.png[/img]

[b]Gefreiter[/b] (Grenadier, Mark Falkenland)
[img]http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8315/gefreitero.png[/img]

[size="5"][u]Military Administration and Governance[/u][/size]

Military Administration in the Military Border Territory means that the political divisions in that area are also divided among military units, thus the normal political divisions do not apply. The Military is also divided into Political Ranks, some of which resemble noble titles, but should not be confused with them, as not all nobles are in the military, and outside of the MBT, those possessing Military Political Ranks do not retain their title. For example, Joachim Freiherr von Karlstad is a Freiherr or Baron by title, shown by the fact that his title is contained in his name; Lieutenant George Johnston, however, is a Freiherr by rank only, and cannot therefore refer to himself as Georg Freiherr von Johnston, though as long as he resides in the Military Border Territory, he retains the privileges of a Baron, including an income from tribute paid by individual Estates in his Barony.

[u]Political Military Ranks are:[/u]

[b]Herrscherr[/b] (Ruler): Ritter-Kommandant, in command of the whole of the MBT
[b]Margraf[/b] (Margrave): Oberst – Rittermarschall, in command of a Mark
[b]Burggraf[/b] (Burgrave): Oberstleutnant – General, in command of a Burg
[b]Gauherr[/b] (Lord): Leutnant – Oberstleutnant, in command of a Gau
[b]Raugraf[/b] (Rawgrave): Zenturion – Oberstleutnant, in command of an uninhabited or sparsely inhabited Rauland
[b]Stadtherr[/b] (Lord Mayor): Zenturion/Leutnant, in command of a Weiler, Dorf, or Stadt
[b]Freiherr[/b] (Baron): Zenturion/Leutnant, in command of a Herrs’gebiet
[b]Herr[/b] (Lord): Zenturion/Leutnant, in command of an Estate

[u]Military Political divisions are:[/u]

[b]Mark[/b]: District, or roughly 5-8 Gaus
[b]Burg[/b]: Fortified City, any major city consisting of more than 20,000 inhabitants and possessing a Cathedral
[b]Gau[/b]: County, consisting of a city and several Zenturien, Weiler, and Dorfen
[b]Stadt[/b]: City, a settlement consisting of at least 5,000 inhabitants
[b]Dorf[/b]: Village, a settlement of at least 500 inhabitants
[b]Weiler[/b]: Hamlet, a settlement consisting of at least 50 inhabitants
[b]Herrs’gebiet[/b]: Township, consisting of at least 5 Ritterguten, short for Herrschaftsgebiet
[b]Rauland[/b]: Uninhabited Township, consisting of at least 500 Acres but less that 5 Ritterguten
[b]Rittergut[/b]: Estate, consisting of at least 100 Acres

[center][size="5"][u][b]Arms and Armament[/b][/u][/size][/center]

The Kuklosian military is outfitted in several different ways. It is especially unique in that it is one of few militaries with an active mounted component – actual horse cavalry. Each branch of the military requires its own outfitting, though efforts have been made by the Knights to standardise rifles to better fight in case of invasion.

[size="5"][u]Land Forces ([i]Kuklosritterorden)[/i][/u][/size]

[b]Small Arms:[/b]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM]Kalashnikov Sturmgewehr (KSG)-59[/url][/i]
[img]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8020/ak47iia.jpg[/img]
Issue: Infantrie, Techniker, Kommunikation, Artillerie

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG]Steyr AUG[/url][/i]
[img]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2249/steyraugx.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1188/steyraugm5.jpg[/img]
Issue: Flugritter, Flaklegion, Spezialeinheitlegion

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP5]MP5-SD3[/url][/i]
[img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4439/mp5v.jpg[/img]
Issue: Panzer, Flieger, Armata

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_Kar_98k]Kar-98s[/url][/i]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/98K.png/700px-98K.png[/img]
Issue: Grenadiers, Ritters, Jägers, Triarii,

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_870]Flinte Mk870R[/url][/i]
[img]http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/4879/rem870.jpg[/img]
Issue: Jägers, Ritters

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911A]Mk11-C45[/url][/i]
[img]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4431/coltm1911.jpg[/img]
Issue: General

[b]Recoilless Rifles[/b]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7]RPG-7[/url][/i]
[img]http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/grenade/gl02/rpg-7.jpg[/img]
Issue: Grenadiers

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-18]RPG-18[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.pistolpetechecklist.com/modweaponimages/rpg18open.jpg[/img]

[I][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle]Karl-Gustaf RR[/url][/i]
[img]http://oranges-world.com/data_images/carl-gustav.jpg[/img]

[b]Artillery[/b]
[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M198_howitzer]Mk198 Haubitze[/url][/i]
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6jKjAvPBwGs/Svg1QG6YsiI/AAAAAAAAASc/a6gkdgcULjE/s400/new.JPG[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_howitzer]Mk110 Haubitze[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.military-today.com/artillery/m110.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FH-70][i]Feldhaubitze[/i] 70 Mk2[/url][/i]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Howitzer_FH70_02.jpg/640px-Howitzer_FH70_02.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L118_Light_Gun]L118 Haubitze[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/sitebuilder/images/105mm_Light_Gun_b_1_-751x384.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav]K(E) Eisenbahngeschütz-80[/url][/i]
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MXu96taKq-Y/SzxQp7MWaDI/AAAAAAAAEDo/dw-fvqPVN7o/s1600/7.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl-Ger%C3%A4t]Karl-Gerät Mörser[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.panzer-modell.de/berichte/karl-1/f02g.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanonenjagdpanzer]Jagdpanzer Kanone 90mm[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/tanks/tanks-k-l/kanonenjagdpanzer.png[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_2]Raketenjagdpanzer 4 Schwarzer Panter[/url][/i]
[img]http://a.modellversium.de/galerie/bilder/0/2/9/8029-3105158.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-23_Oka]SS23 Spinne[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.snariad.ru/wp-content/gallery/grnoka/oka_2.jpg[/img]
Warhead: HE fragmentation, submunition, or chemical

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-21_Tochka]SS21 Blatthornkäfer[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.areamilitar.net/DIRECTORIO/im_TER/SS21_drw.jpg[/img]
Warhead: Chemical, EMP, or fragmentation filling

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-30_Minuteman]LGM-30 Volkssturm[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/icbm/us_nuke_minuteman3_01.jpg[/img]
Warhead: EMP or HE fragmentation

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_%28missile%29]BGM-109 Streitaxt[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/slcm4.jpg[/img]
Warhead: Conventional - 1,000 lb (450 kg) Bullpup, or submunitions dispenser with BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb

[b]Anti-Air[/b]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer_Gepard][i]Flakpanzer[/i] Gepard[/url][/i]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Gepard_1a2_overview.jpg/640px-Gepard_1a2_overview.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot#MIM-104F_.28PAC-3.29]PAC-3 Patrioten[/url][/i]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Patriot_System_2.jpg/640px-Patriot_System_2.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger]FIM92 Giftstachel[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/stinger.gif[/img]

[b]Panzer[/b]
[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2]Leopard II. Kampfpanzerwagen[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/tank/Leopard2/Leopard2.gif[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK-105_K%C3%BCrassier]SK-105 Kürassier Panzerzerstörer[/url][/i]
[img]http://mkonline.ru/2006-06/images/2006-06-60.jpg[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-80]Transportpanzern-80 Pandabär[/url]
[img]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/btr-80a-line.gif[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Bradley]Mk.2 Infantrie Kampfwagen[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/inf/M2/M2_Bradley.gif[/img]

[i][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_AML]Panhard AML Panzerwagen[/url][/i]
[img]http://www.sadfgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Eland-90-DONE.jpg[/img]

[center][size="5"]Treaties and International Affairs[/size][/center]

[quote][center][b]The Californian Republic and Kuklos Confederacy Friendship Pact[/b][/center]

[b]Preamble:[/b]
We, the Californian Republic and the Confederation of Κυκλοι, in the interest of improving relations between our nations hereby sign this document. In this, we seek to develop our economics, provide the opportunities to grow our potential as a nation and economically, and agree to not have hostilities between each other for as long as this document is binding.

[b]Article I: Sovereignty & Non-aggression[/b]
Each signatory shall recognize the sovereignty of the each other, and as such shall pledge themselves to a peaceful co-existance and non-aggression. Both signatories shall not commit hostile actions against the each other in any way, including but not limited to waging war or conducting espionage.

[b]Article II: Economic Development[/b]
1. Each signatory shall agree to reduce or eliminate tariffs on goods and products from the each other, with the tariff rate set as agreed upon by both nations.
2. Each signatory agrees to promote public and private business endeavors between us in the interest of growing our economies.
3. Each signatory agrees to help facilitate the smooth operations of goods moving on various modes of interstate commerce between us.

[b]Article III: Future Considerations[/b]
1. Both signatories agree to review this treaty in a year's time, to resign or add provisions based the conditions of our relationship
2. The Californian Republic will review ATOPEN for potential signature in six months time.

Signed this day of the 16th of January,

[b]For the Confederation of Κυκλοι,[/b]
Sigurd Odinnson, als Heraklit I
[i]Pontifex Maximus Confederatii Kuklorum[/i]

Henrik Graf von Erdstrom
[i]Adjutor Monies and Merchants[/i]

[b]For the Calfornian Republic,[/b]

Colin Farren
President of the Californian Republic

Kevin O'Malley
Secretary of State
[/quote]