Cybernations Convention 2012

Master Holton

[quote name='Captain Flinders' timestamp='1325657789' post='2892077']
I'll attend if we can separate into treaty blocs and have a straight up fist fight for world dominance.

But seriously, this would just be weird.
[/quote]
You have both captured the essence of my thoughts on this, and pissed on them.

Its seriously fun to me and I know a few others to discuss CN politics face to face with people. talk about the game, nation building, et cetera. It would be a chance to Sort of play UN, if you will. Its so easy for us all on forums and IRC to troll and throw e-punches, but, could any of us act like this in person, particularly in character and as representatives of our various alliances and blocs?

Granted, any Polar that I came across is gonna get a "Sup, Bro? :smug:" from me... BUT! I think this sounds like a capital idea.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be terribly awkward. Not sure if it's a good or bad awkward.

"Hi, I play this outdated game under the name Ironfist"
"Who?"
"Iron... eh $%&@ it"

And then there's the off chance you accidentally meet someone you're "friends" with over IRC.

"So you're that guy..."
"Yup"
"I have to admit... I had higher hopes for what you looked like"

I originally got into this game due to several people I knew IRL that played. Since then, I've met up with 3 other IRON members and had a few beers when I was out of town once for a convention in their city. It was pretty fun and wasn't awkward in the slightest. I'm not sure if this would work on a large scale though. :)

Paying hundreds of pounds to travel half way across the world & walk into a room full of spotty teens to realise I've been playing the wrong game for the past 4+ years isn't something I'm going to do, I'm not ready to quit CN yet.

[quote name='Mayzie' timestamp='1325683473' post='2892257']
Paying hundreds of pounds to travel half way across the world & walk into a room full of spotty teens to realise I've been playing the wrong game for the past 4+ years isn't something I'm going to do, I'm not ready to quit CN yet.
[/quote]
yesh! this.

I would rather visit a couple of folks i know are worth it, and even then we would not be talking CN but other normal, human being stuff.

[quote name='kamichi' timestamp='1325654926' post='2892020']
you can't be considered a proper alliance unless your leadership have held a meeting irl
[/quote]

Been there, done that. Had half our govt, and former gov drinking in the same room. Basketball Ninjas call that a mirror AMIRITE?

[quote name='Comrade Craig' timestamp='1325649023' post='2891946']
Oh man. Quoted for truth. The primary reason I won't even participate in a Skype call is that I feel like a retard when I hear myself say this stuff aloud.

-Craig
[/quote]

Snap, my obsession with CN is a personal one that I don't particularly like people knowing.

[quote name='Tiber Septim' timestamp='1325652776' post='2891988']
3. I'd looooove if Admin would attend :):):) That'd be cool as !@#$ lol. Maybe even a "Meet the Mods" booth.
[/quote]
Don't you mean a "Dunk the Mods" booth?

Also this would be followed by such a huge wave of IP-match bans that the entire game would be extinct within a week.

[quote name='Stelios' timestamp='1325697312' post='2892380']
Ive thought about that in the past. But it would be hard to pick a location
[/quote]
Welp. That was the intention of this thread and the channel I threw out into coldfront space. I can organize it in any US city, but the issueis going to be getting enough people to rally together and say "yeah, I'll do this" and figure out whats either equidistant or agreeable that people can make it by planes, trains and cars... no movie quotes itc. I mean hell. We could have it in my little studio apartment, but You'd all still have to get your own hotel room :P

My experience with CN irl has been a fun one. OPSECs info stays OPSECs but you get a chance to say things with nuance like "So, if polar got hit, would you guys in RIA honor your treaty?" Why? "No reason, just curious. :smug:" And see the fear on faces. Its fun, I swear.

Loose plans now would be to have a mixer, some talks about econ, history of CN, if Admin gets on board or the mod team, I'd bend over backwards to see a "meet the Mods" board done.

The ideas and ability to put this in motion exist, we just need the people willing to say "hey I'll pay a $X con reg to rent out a hall in a hotel and do this."

Also, my experience in the past like 5 years of CN has shown me two things, CN'rs are drinkers, and like to party. My experince with other conventions, including professional ones, are that conventions are places where alcohol, illicit substances, and parties flow freely. ... I see promise.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1325651158' post='2891971']
If I meet anyone from CN in real life, it will be solely in order to punch them in the RL face. This is not a joke.
[/quote]
May not be a joke, but it still gave me a nice burst of honest laughter. My sentiments are similar, with a few rare exceptions.

as with other games that have done the same thing, im not big on just meeting with CN players for the sake of meeting with CN players.

there are a decent chunk of people in this game that i would like to meet, but if i wanted to do so I would just get hold of them if they were ever in the area, or vice versa. not make some big meet for it.

Is this a proposal to bring the mud-throwing and the backstabbing to a new level?...

[spoiler]J/K. I doubt you'd propose for it to be anywhere near me, and I'd had to divorce before showing up, anyway.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Proest' timestamp='1325643492' post='2891874']
If only there were any to begin with. At least any sane not living in a cave types.
[/quote]

Dudes posing as chicks...

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1325720684' post='2892748']
Is this a proposal to bring the mud-throwing and the backstabbing to a new level?...

[spoiler]J/K. I doubt you'd propose for it to be anywhere near me, and I'd had to divorce before showing up, anyway.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

This entire meeting is so the world can plot against GPA now that you've taken spot #1.

Honestly I feel like a complete !@#$% just talking out loud about it on Skype. I don't think my self esteem could take the kind of hit that going to a meeting specifically to talk to other people who play a text based browser game about playing text based browser games out loud and in person.