Will the Circle Stay Unbroken?

Sigurd Odinnson

After the fiasco in Cuba, Odinnson and his collection of refugees had been floating for some time. In Trinidad, they had gathered the supplies needed to continue moving, but at each subsequent port they had been turned away. As the massive cargo ship sailed north, a message bounced in from the coast offering them to venture to land now held by Canada. [i]If they could only make it up the St. Lawrence[/i] Odinnson thought.

Over the next few weeks, they made their way into the Great Lakes unmolested. As the snow fell and storms blew across the lakes, there was serious concern over whether they would make it to their destination at the far end of Lake Superior. They landed at a tiny village called Duluth, where they met a small delegation of the Canadian government who had wired the message.

“You have made it clear to us that you are willing to offer us land as a homestead for our people. We demand very little.”

“The Canadian government has intimated to me that they are willing to part with a parcel of land equivalent to what you see displayed on this map. You may designate your borders as you see fit.”

Odinnson consulted with Forrest and Schildhafen – the parcel was much larger than they presently needed but also offered them a tremendous opportunity for expansion. The soil to the south was good for farming, while resources to the north afforded other possibilities. Best of all, it was sparsely populated by people who would be willing to work with the new government.

Odinnson took a pencil and drew out what he wanted – then he passed the map over to the delegation. “This will be greater than sufficient, and we thank the government for its generosity. Please convey the following message to the head of the Canadian government.” Odinnson handed them a hand-written letter in ink, something Odinnson had written on the way to his destination.

[quote]
To the distinguished and generous leader of Canada,

It is great joy and tremendous gratitude that I offer you thanks for the homestead you have offered to my people. As the leader of the Confederacy of the Κυκλος, I wish to extend my hand as well and ask if it would be appropriate for a delegation of my own government to visit the Canadian capital carrying certain papers, that we might treat over certain matters of trade and defence against any and all who might challenge this generosity and the sovereignty of Kuklos.

Please send your response to St. Paul, the city of the Apostle, where we intend to establish our capital. Paulosopolis shall be its name, until the city of Eccardopolis can be established at an appropriate site.

With respect and blessings of The One,

His Holiness Sigurd Odinnson
Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos[/quote]

Odinnson’s followers gathered on the dock, hopeful that they would not again be turned away. He turned and addressed them:

“Brothers and Sisters, today we have witnessed the generosity of man – today we have been delivered a land ordained by The One – for which we need not fight, which is given to us as a gift. I admit to you that I was wrong, that I misunderstood what it meant when our ship ran aground on that unholy island so many weeks ago. We suffered for my error, and I have sought my penance. We have now been rewarded, however, for our patience and for my humility. Now we have a truly ordained land, devoid of a savage population, which is ours to rule and populate as we wish. We shall take ourselves to the city of Saint Paul the Apostle on the Mississippi River, and here shall establish a provisional capital. I shall send Commander Forrest forth to subdue the land to our rule and find a suitable place for our Holy City, which shall be the capital of our great Confederacy.”

He was met with cheers. He then distributed the new flag of the Confederacy to the people. “We need a new banner before our armies – a banner which properly represents what we seek to accomplish here. No longer can we lie to ourselves of the stars above guiding us. We shall bear a flag both for war and for peace.”

[center][img]http://images.tgecn.com/mop/maps/KuklosKonfederacy7.png[/img]
Peace
[img]http://images.tgecn.com/mop/maps/KuklosWar.png[/img]
War
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1827/mapvks.jpg[/img]
Map[/center]

[b]PRIVATE[/b]

A letter of reply would duly be dispatched to the fledging government of the Kuklos Confederacy through secure channels:

[quote]Greetings,

As proud parents of a new and glorious country, we shall send representatives to the capital city of Paulosopolis, where a Canadian Embassy shall be built. Likewise, you are welcome to establish an Embassy in New Ottawa, our capital, and to send a delegation to the aforementioned capital as well.

In addition to establishing relations, the Canadian Government shall take proper steps to turn over control and sovereignty to your Government. However, given the circumstances Canada is currently in, namely the situation in the Gulf Federation to your south, we would like to retain the right of access for our military forces to go through your territories for the duration of the conflict. We will avoid population centers and utilize less-traveled routes.

With that said, we look forward to furthering relations with your fine country.

With regards,

Salvador d'Alberquerque,
Sovereign-General of the Realm[/quote]

[b]PUBLIC[/b]

"The Government of the Confederation of Arctic Nations and Dependent Areas, alas Canada, henceforth recognizes the Kuklos Confederacy and welcomes it to North America and the world with joy. We will begin the process of turning over control and sovereignty to the new Government, and would like to let it be known that the Kuklos Confederacy shall be considered to be under Canadian protection until such a time the Confederacy is able to sufficiently exercise its sovereignty and independence. On that note, the territories of the Confederacy shall be subject to the Norton Doctrine, now known as the d'Alberquerque Doctrine, which states that whenever the Confederacy collapses or loses control of its lands for any reason, any, the lands shall revert to Canadian sovereignty and jurisdiction immediately, and Canada shall reserve the exclusive right to implement the Doctrine."

[b]CANADIAN MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS[/b]

OOC: Your borders look a bit uneven. I think it should look like this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oB5Qw.png[/IMG]

Edited by JEDCJT

"The East-American Union recognizes and welcomes the 'Confederacy of the Κυκλος'.

President Harold Cheve, powerful speaker of the people:

"In this global age, we have seen nothing but crazed dictators and large scale wars bringing death and destruction throughout the world, mostly concentrated in our homeland, North America. But with the destruction of the latest tyrant regime of Florida, gone are the days of disgusting criminal terrorist governments like those of Labrador. I see a new era of peace and harmony in America, as we unite and push foreign nations out of our territory. The destruction of New France may possibly be the greatest modern event to happen in years. We must warmly welcome a diverse America of peaceful governments and encouraeg free trade to unite our economies."

[quote name='JEDCJT' timestamp='1325643631' post='2891879']
[b]PRIVATE[/b]

A letter of reply would duly be dispatched to the fledging government of the Kuklos Confederacy through secure channels:

[quote]Greetings,

As proud parents of a new and glorious country, we shall send representatives to the capital city of Paulosopolis, where a Canadian Embassy shall be built. Likewise, you are welcome to establish an Embassy in New Ottawa, our capital, and to send a delegation to the aforementioned capital as well.

In addition to establishing relations, the Canadian Government shall take proper steps to turn over control and sovereignty to your Government. However, given the circumstances Canada is currently in, namely the situation in the Gulf Federation to your south, we would like to retain the right of access for our military forces to go through your territories for the duration of the conflict. We will avoid population centers and utilize less-traveled routes.

With that said, we look forward to furthering relations with your fine country.

With regards,

Salvador d'Alberquerque,
Sovereign-General of the Realm[/quote][/quote]

Odinnson looked over the telegram on his desk in the newly established office in the capitol building of the recently renamed Paulosopolis. [i]It really needs a more manageable name[/i], he thought to himself as he read the city name in the Canadian despatch.

“Schildhafen!” Odinnson had appointed the young man to be his Chancellor and manage the more mundane functions of the Inner Circle.

“Your Holiness, what can I do for you?” Schildhafen replied as he opened the door with a bow. He, like Odinnson, wore his ceremonial robes – though the latter’s were more ornate with crimson and gold trim than the simple habit of black and white on Schildhafen.

“We have this wire from Canada; please inform them that we will receive them here and that we will be sending a delegation to New Ottowa to establish an embassy. I think that MacAilpin makes a good choice; he is, after all, one of our native English-speakers and has a good head for diplomacy.” MacAilpin also had the benefit of being Odinnson’s own aide-de-camp during his battles in Niflunga before the Event, and had followed Odinnson out of the country to the village of Hochheim when the call had come.

“An excellent choice, Holiness. Also, Ritter Forrest has been asking for you,” Schildhafen replied, “he says it’s urgent, pertaining to the location of the City.”

“Then send him up – I want to discuss our relations with Canada and a defensive treaty with him anyway. Now you may go and handle your assignments.”

Forrest was right behind Schildhafen, his riding boots covered in mud which he proceeded to cover the floor with when he clicked his heels at attention. “I think we’ve got a site,” he said shortly.

“Good!” the Pontiff’s face brightened. “Where? What’s the location?”

“I found a tidy little spot on the river, near our Southern Border. The land is flat, and there’s a port, and its sufficiently rocky for a city to be laid there. We could certainly establish all the buildings you had in mind.”

“Near the border? That’s hardly ideal.” Odinnson replied, nonplussed.

“Well its’ the best one we could find near enough the river. Look here,” he pulled a map from his satchel and laid it out on the desk, “here, the nearest existing town is Burlington. We’d be in an excellent position if you’re worried about security.”

“No, it won’t do. I want it further from the border, and in a place of proper [i]spiritual[/i] properties – this is not to be a city of commerce, but a symbol and a centre.”

“It’s damned impractical.” Forrest replied brusquely.

“It’s purposeful. It doesn’t need to be practical. Commander, I suggest you take a member of the Inner Circle with you – someone who knows what it is we’re looking for.” Odinnson didn’t want any doubt as to who was making decisions for the Confederacy.

“Fine then. Tell me who and they’ll come along. We’ll be riding – we’ll scout the wilderness better on horseback than in trucks. Besides, there’s not much military equipment to work with here.” Forrest was obviously somewhat embittered by the cold response he had received.

Odinnson could see it too, and felt he ought to change the subject, “Speaking of military, we do need to provide for some kind of defence here. Our Canadian friends have extended a offer of protection – but I don’t want to be over-indebted to anyone.”

“I can agree with that. We have a lot of horsemen in this territory, so it ought not be difficult for me to raise a cavalry – or at least a mounted infantry. However outdated it may be, it’ll get us about quickly and over terrain that enemies will not be able to travel as easily.” Forrest replied with slightly improved tone. “I want mobility – it’s the key to warfare. We don’t have much in ways of arm manufactures in this new territory we’ve taken command of – the nearest is in the Dakota territory near the gas fields.”

“That won’t do. Too much in one place. We do need small arms, though. Canada should be willing to supply them. Give me a list of what you need and I’ll prepare the list for my meeting with Canadian leadership.”

“Fine then. That’s all,” Forrest said, anticipating the question.

“Dismissed.” Odinnson sat back down and returned to the despatch, which he could finally read in full.

[quote]In addition to establishing relations, the Canadian Government shall take proper steps to turn over control and sovereignty to your Government. However, given the circumstances Canada is currently in, namely the situation in the Gulf Federation to your south, we would like to retain the right of access for our military forces to go through your territories for the duration of the conflict. We will avoid population centers and utilize less-traveled routes.[/quote]

[i]The Gulf Federation...[/i], Odinnson recalled the lack of response he had received from the Louisianan uprising when he petitioned for portions of the territory along the Mississippi. [i]There might be a benefit in approaching them again.[/i]

He intended to give the Canadians full access as they demanded – as much for his own benefit as theirs. He hoped the Canadians would be on his southern border soon, since the Confederacy itself have very poor defences there. If the Canadians went to war, the Confederacy would have to support them – out of politeness if nothing else – and there was river control to be gained.

He wired a telegram again to the government of Louisiana and a separate message to France through the most secure channels he could find.

To Louisiana he wrote:
[quote]To Madam President Marie Littlewood:

With the newly-proclaimed Confederacy of the Kuklos on your northern border, I am sure it must have occurred to you what possibilities and dangers you may now face. I write to you as a leader of a refugee people who have fled their own land in the face of persecution. The Confederacy of Kuklos is in no position to recognise the Louisiana Federation; if, however, certain efforts are made to facilitate the usage of the Mississippi River by Kuklos for commerce and other purposes, we can assure you that our government will regard yours with friendly feelings and pursue an amiable course.

With Respect and Blessings,

Sigurd Odinnson (Fr. Heraclitos)
Pontifex Maximus of the Circle[/quote]

To France he wired:
[quote]To Sarah Tintagyl, Leader of the French,

Our previous wire intimated a desire for the settlement of the Caribbean, which you rebuffed on ideological grounds. It saddened us, but has not soured our feelings towards France. Looking to our southern borders after the generous donation of the Canadian government, the Confederacy of Kuklos is concerned for passage rights in relation to the Mississippi River in territories now in rebellion against France. If the nation of France can promise rights to this all-important river, the Confederacy might be inclined to assist in subduing the rebellion in New France against rightful and lawful government.

Sigurd Odinnson (Fr. Heraclitos)
Pontifex Maximus of the Circle[/quote]

Whoever responded first and with the most support for the Confederacy would win his endorsement. It was a simple, but risky, diplomatic game – he could not afford to end up on the losing side.
[hr]
[quote]OOC: Your borders look a bit uneven. I think it should look like this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oB5Qw.png[/IMG]
[/quote]

OOC:I was actually rather hoping for more uneven borders since it looks more natural, however if you insist I’m happy to accept whatever you cede.
[hr]
[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1325644621' post='2891893']
"The East-American Union recognizes and welcomes the 'Confederacy of the Κυκλος'.

President Harold Cheve, powerful speaker of the people:

"In this global age, we have seen nothing but crazed dictators and large scale wars bringing death and destruction throughout the world, mostly concentrated in our homeland, North America. But with the destruction of the latest tyrant regime of Florida, gone are the days of disgusting criminal terrorist governments like those of Labrador. I see a new era of peace and harmony in America, as we unite and push foreign nations out of our territory. The destruction of New France may possibly be the greatest modern event to happen in years. We must warmly welcome a diverse America of peaceful governments and encourage free trade to unite our economies."
[/quote]

Having replied to the Canadians and contacted the French, all that now remained was to answer the public speech made by the President of the East-American Union. He was unsure what to make of it – “pushing foreigners out of our territory” seemed disturbingly like the ultimatum issued in Cuba. It seemed friendly, but President Cheve was clearly ignoring the fact that Odinnson and his Confederacy were certainly foreign to this New World. [i]Perhaps if we met I could gauge this fellow better,[/i] the Pontiff mused. He ordered the following response to the Foreign Office of the EAU:

[quote]To His Excellency President Harold Cheve:

We of the Kuklos welcome your speech and recognition of our government, and wish to extend to you the formal invitation to visit our nation in its capital and to your government to establish an embassy. It is the desire of our Pontiff and Leader Sigurd Odinnson to make your acquaintance and establish a friendly relationship between our two peoples.

Yours,

Foreign Ministry of the Kuklos[/quote]
[hr]
He then turned to the now old message from Charlotte de Nouvelle-Châteaudun
[quote][b]To: The Leader of the Κυκλος Confederacy, Sigurd Odinnson
From: The Minister of Foreign, Commercial and Colonial Affairs, Charlotte de Nouvelle-Châteaudun
Subject: A home for our Brethren[/b]

To the honorable Sigurd Odinnson and his followers,

Only shortly ago, the Empire of Pravus Ingruo did away with another nation in a short but brutal war. Altough we do not really criticise the last war, this time we think such brutality and slaughter should be avoided. The Κυκλος seem like pious people, and altough our confessions may vary, we are still all followers of the Lord. As we do not know what kind of folks you are, we are interested in learning more about the Κυκλος, granting you a home in the Comté de Port-au-Princesse, Trinidad. Your people shall be in our care, for as long as it needs for you to find a new home, where your people can live in peace, following the Lords teachings and leading honest lives. It may be quite loud at night, given the ongoing war of Lunar aggression, however we have faith in their honorable conduct of war and we will send them a message to consider the island of Trinidad as a neutral zone outside conflict, as we also won't use it. Should they or anyone ignore this, we will defend Trinidad with our lives, as it is still ours and noone shall harm our guests and get away unscathed.

If you agree, just land at our shores and we will expect you. We may however ask, that while you stay there, no subject of the Grand Princess shall be hurt or their property be damaged by your people, as well that we ask you to refrain from attempting to convert our people or to infringe on our culture. Within your community you will be able though, to do whatever your faith and law teaches you.

With regards,

[i]Charlotte de Nouvelle-Châteaudun[/i][/quote]

He had responded with warm thanks already and accepted the offer of aid and supply, but felt a more thorough response was now needed.

[quote]To the Grand Princess of Vicidalia,

It is with a warm heart that I extend once again my heartfelt gratitude for the generosity of your people in Trinidad. Indeed, I and my people were saddened to leave the place and earnestly wish for an opportunity to repay you for your generosity. I have shipped with this message a precious gift of a jewelled cross which may be worn or displayed as a brooch or as a pendant to express my personal gratitude. The silver in the cross comes from the depths of the Rammelsburg mine in Germany, the Agate and Ruby stones inlaid are of ancient origin, only collected in the cross some two centuries ago, but according to records I have, dating to the middle of the tenth century. I hope that you will accept it as a sign of our mutual faith and a symbol of my thanks. I also extend to you an invitation to the capital of the Confederacy at your first convenience, to discuss the relationship of our two peoples.

Sigurd Odinnson (Fr. Heraclitus)

[i][b]Dispatch from the Department for North America, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Commonwealth of New Zealand:[/b][/i]

New Zealand hereby recognizes the Kuklos Confederacy.
-[i]Mike Moore, Secretary for North America in the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs[/i]

[quote]OOC:I was actually rather hoping for more uneven borders since it looks more natural, however if you insist I’m happy to accept whatever you cede.[/quote]

[b]OOC:[/b] It's just that the mapmakers are really happy if people stick somewhat to existing administrative areas. And we all like our mapmaker and respect him for his work. (OOCly of course. ICly we are really angry over your betrayal, Lynneth)

IC:
[quote][b]To: The Leader of the Κυκλος Confederacy, Sigurd Odinnson
From: The Minister of Foreign, Commercial and Colonial Affairs, Charlotte de Nouvelle-Châteaudun
Subject: A possible Meeting[/b]

To the honorable Sigurd Odinnson and his followers,

We want to express our thanks for this marvellous piece of jewelry and sign of great faith, and we congratulate the responsible artisan for this masterpiece of theirs. We will keep it properly and always remember the generosity of the Κυκλος.

As for a meeting, I am sadly not available for some time, given the ongoing war and my responsibility to defend the Grand Principality. Noblesse oblige, you know. However, I will visit your country for sure, should I survive this slaughter and then as soon as all affairs inside Vicidalia are settled far enough for me to leave the country.

Sadly, I have to keep this short, as my division is on the march. And I, as Major cannot just stay back.

With regards,

[i]Charlotte de Nouvelle-Châteaudun[/i][/quote]

[b]OOC:[/b] I'm diplomatically inactive as long as I do not know if I'll stay a Grand Principality.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

[quote] To Sigurd Odinnson (Fr. Heraclitos)
Pontifex Maximus of the Circle

We are glad that you have independence and you have contacted us. However we will be unable to consider any use of the Mississippi River due to security concerns as it runs along part of a border area. We apologise for any problems caused by this decision. We would like to pursue positive diplomatic relations regardless of this decision.

Regards,
President Marie Littlewood

[/quote]

The following would be sent to Kuklos's office of foreign affairs:

[quote]TO: Kuklos Confederacy Office of Foreign Affairs
FROM: The Desk of Party Boss Sari Paatelainen, Helsinki, Finland
SUBJ: Independence

We in Finland are always pleased to see new nations arise from the ashes of others. While Finland is a Communist nation, we feel as if it is always worth the time to establish relations with non-communist/socialist nations. We invite you to Helsinki's People's Parliament, where our head of government is located to begin discussions of trade treaties. We hope to hear a response soon.

Signed,
Party Boss Sari Paatelainen[/quote]

[quote name='Owned-You' timestamp='1325697143' post='2892376']
"New Spain formally recognizes the Kuklos Confederacy. Welcome to the world stage."

- Emilo Bourbon
[/quote]

“Well that’s good to hear” Odinnson said to no one in particular watching the news in his new house on the outskirts of Paulosopolis. It was a simple house; the building itself wasn’t important – a small, ranch-style dwelling – but the land it sat on had been selected for the headquarters of the Order of Brethren of the Holy Name, his monastic government. The stone quarries had to produce enough granite for the building, but the clearing of land had begun at least. The housing development in the suburbs of the city had been cleared, and its residents moved. The city itself was not long for this world – the metropolitan city was an abomination Odinnson planned to clear away from his new land.

He reached for the phone and called Schildhafen at his office in Paulosopolis.

“Chancery.” The soft, youthful voice of Schildhafen wasn’t cut out for this position. He sounded like a secretary, not a Head of Government.

“Have you been watching the news regarding our declaration of independence?” Odinnson asked.

“I’ve seen some recognitions, yes, but by and large I’ve been busy with internal affairs, Holiness.” Schildhafen was clearly straining under his responsibilities.

“Well, scratch out a memo and send it over to the Foreign Office. I want diplomatic contact established with New Spain – there’s a possibility for good relations there. The government is monarchist and, from what I can tell, religious. Extend our warmest regards and send them a delegation for a pilgrimage to the Guadalupe [i]tilma[/i].” Odinnson referred to the Cathedral in the capital of New Spain, “make it clear to the Archbishop that we are followers of The One. When our Eccardopolis is completed, we will have a city and Cathedral to rival any Roman ediface, but until such time we must show diplomacy towards the Papal authority and followers of the Papal teaching.”

“I can do that. Let me call for the Foreign Office and send von Braunschweig; he has distant relations in the Bourbons through the Habsburg line, and I think he’s also connected through family ties to the House of Luxembourg: they may favour a cousin.”

“God has placed a fine mind in the office of Chancery. Very well, let me see the document before you send it off. That is all.” Odinnson hung up. He stood up and went into the adjoining room that had been converted into a temporary library. He knew he had a copy of the [i]Descendents of the Habsburg Family of Spain, Portugal, Austria, and Brazil[/i] somewhere in there and wanted to trace out how close von Braunschweig was to the Bourbons in New Spain.

[b]One Hour Later[/b]

After a knock on the door, the Pontiff opened it to see a runner standing before him with a message. He threw the boy a silver coin and turned inside to open it.

[quote]To the Illustrious and Honoured King of New Spain,

The Confederacy of Kuklos wishes to convey deep thanks for the recent motion to recognise our fledgling state. We are a deeply religious community, dedicated to the service of The One and His Messenger on Earth. It is therefore with deep humility that the Order of the Holy Name petitions Your Majesty and Your Majesty’s Archbishop of Mexico City to make pilgrimage to the Holy Site there and do homage to Our Lady.

Our representative, Rainer von Braunschweig, is a Knight-Magister of the Order and we believe of distant relation to your ancient and honourable family. We hope that you will show him all hospitality on his visit and that our religious devotions and prayers may produce a harmonious relationship between our two peoples.

Karl Ritter von Kahlstein
Minister of the Foreign Office of the Kuklos[/quote]

[i]Looks good.[/i] Odinnson thought as he walked to the phone to give the order for the message and the delegation of pilgrims to be sent to New Spain. He then turned his attention to the message he had received some time before from the Finns.

[quote name='Markus Wilding' timestamp='1325698993' post='2892398']
The following would be sent to Kuklos's office of foreign affairs:

[quote]TO: Kuklos Confederacy Office of Foreign Affairs
FROM: The Desk of Party Boss Sari Paatelainen, Helsinki, Finland
SUBJ: Independence

We in Finland are always pleased to see new nations arise from the ashes of others. While Finland is a Communist nation, we feel as if it is always worth the time to establish relations with non-communist/socialist nations. We invite you to Helsinki's People's Parliament, where our head of government is located to begin discussions of trade treaties. We hope to hear a response soon.

Signed,
[/quote]

He sat down and typed up a brief message and called for a runner to send it to the Foreign Office

[quote][b]To: Party Boss Paatelainen[/b]
[b]From: His Holiness Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos[/b]
[b]RE: Relations[/b]

The Confederacy, as you might imagine, is somewhat reluctant to establish relations with Communists due to the openly atheistic and often militant anti-religious nature of policies both within and outside of such countries. If the government of Finland can furnish proof that maltreatment of religious institutions and deprivation of spiritual improvement are not policies of the state and are not tolerated by the state, the Confederacy of Kuklos will be interested in establishing relations.

However, it is the expressed stance of the Confederacy that no greater crime against humanity can be committed than the deprivation of access to religious and spiritual satisfaction, and that godlessness on the part of parties or states amounts to a greater offence than any other action a state might take against its own or foreign people. We cannot therefore guarantee that Our government will accept any outreach by the Finnish State, regardless of Our own good will.

Sigurd Odinnson

[quote name='Sigurd Odinnson' timestamp='1325712795' post='2892609']
He sat down and typed up a brief message and called for a runner to send it to the Foreign Office
[code]To: Party Boss Paatelainen
From: His Holiness Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos
RE: Relations

The Confederacy, as you might imagine, is somewhat reluctant to establish relations with Communists due to the openly atheistic and often militant anti-religious nature of policies both within and outside of such countries. If the government of Finland can furnish proof that maltreatment of religious institutions and deprivation of spiritual improvement are not policies of the state and are not tolerated by the state, the Confederacy of Kuklos will be interested in establishing relations.

However, it is the expressed stance of the Confederacy that no greater crime against humanity can be committed than the deprivation of access to religious and spiritual satisfaction, and that godlessness on the part of parties or states amounts to a greater offence than any other action a state might take against its own or foreign people. We cannot therefore guarantee that Our government will accept any outreach by the Finnish State, regardless of Our own good will.

Sigurd Odinnson
Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos[/code]
[/quote]

As this was received, a message would come some time later.

[quote]TO: Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos
SUBJ: RE: RE: Relations

Sir,

Your fears are well-founded. For too long, Communist nations have been painted with the same brush they were given when the Soviet Union was alive, and I can assure you, Finland does not attempt to persecute or otherwise silence the voices of the religious. To call Finland atheist would also be false. Finland continually attempts to satisfy the needs of the religious of all sects, from Protestant to Jewish.

If it so pleases you, a delegation can be sent to Finland to observe for a few days in a Finnish embassy building, overlooking the very heart of Finland itself. I would be overjoyed to meet this delegation if you decide to send them.

Regards,

[i]**Private Reply to Karl Kahlstein**[/i]
[quote]Greetings Mr. Kahlstein,

We would be honored to house your representative Mr. Braunschweig in our capital city and his accompanied pilgrims in order to pay homage to our holy sites. We share your strong religious devotions and feel it is well within reason to allow this to serve as the basis of better relations between your Confederacy and our Kingdom. It is my hope that our nations prosper spiritually and diplomatically from this endeavor. While it's been sometime that we have entertained family even distant relatives to it we will be sure to treat Braunschweig with the dignity his blood has bestowed upon him by god's will alone.

Sincerely,
King Enrique Bourbon of New Spain[/quote]

Odinnson reviewed the response from the Finns. He was surprised; he had expected his rather cold response to the communists to drive them off - but they seemed eager to establish relations nevertheless. Such eagerness deserved better attention than he had thus far given them.

[quote]To: Party Boss Paatelainen

I received your reply to my query with tremendous satisfaction and would be pleased to take you up on the offer of a delegation. I will dispatch an ambassador and accompanying diplomats under Karl von Kahlstein, our Minister of Foreign Affairs. If you respond positively to this note, I will dispatch a plane immediately to your capital.

Sigurd Odinnson

He then turned to the other news that had arrived at his home. Australia had extended recognition and wanted to establish an embassy. "All the communists are taking an interest in us..." he grumbled. He decided to wire the same telegram to Australia that he had wired to Finland - perhaps he'd get the same reaction.

[quote]To: The Leader of Australia

The Confederacy, as you might imagine, is somewhat reluctant to establish relations with Communists due to the openly atheistic and often militant anti-religious nature of policies both within and outside of such countries. If the government of Australia can furnish proof that maltreatment of religious institutions and deprivation of spiritual improvement are not policies of the state and are not tolerated by the state, the Confederacy of Kuklos will be interested in establishing relations.

However, it is the expressed stance of the Confederacy that no greater crime against humanity can be committed than the deprivation of access to religious and spiritual satisfaction, and that godlessness on the part of parties or states amounts to a greater offence than any other action a state might take against its own or foreign people. We cannot therefore guarantee that Our government will accept any outreach by the Australian State, regardless of Our own good will.

Sigurd Odinnson

[hr]
In his office in central Paulosopolis (or Paulstadt, as most of his staff had taken to calling it), Kahlstein sat reviewing two documents. The first was a private wire from the King of New Spain; the other was an order from the Pontiff to gather a delegation and depart for Finland. He had hardly established his offices in the new Confederacy and he was already being ordered to a state visit. He pressed his fingers to his wrinkled temple - he was an old man, already in his late fifties when Odinnson had recruited him to the Knights of Othin's Eye some twelve years prior. He also hated flying. Then again, he could see what he and only he would do for this assignment - he had as of yet a poor staff and no one who had the ability to handle such a delicate assignment as a diplomatic visit to a communist nation.

He decided he would handle the matter of New Spain before making preparations for his Finnish trip.

[quote]To the Illustrious and Honoured King of New Spain,

We thank you graciously for your hospitality shown to our pilgrims. In the spirit of asceticism in which all truly humble pilgrims take their journies, our delegation shall be traveling to your capital over land, eschewing the comforts and speed of air travel. I expect them to arrive within the week. The next communique your Foreign Office should receive shall be from my representative Ritter-Magister von Braunschweig.

Karl Ritter von Kahlstein
Minister of the Foreign Office of the Kuklos[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Seal_of_Texas_Secretary_of_State.svg/200px-Seal_of_Texas_Secretary_of_State.svg.png[/img]

The Republic of Texas hereby recognizes the Kuklos Confederacy's Independence from Canada. We hope to have a stable, and functioning neighbor to our north that will stay in good relations with Canada, the newly formed Louisiana Federation, and ourselves.

[i]Matt Damon[/i]
[b]Texas Secretary of State[/b]

Edited by PresidentDavid

[quote]To: The Leader of Australia

The Confederacy, as you might imagine, is somewhat reluctant to establish relations with Communists due to the openly atheistic and often militant anti-religious nature of policies both within and outside of such countries. If the government of Australia can furnish proof that maltreatment of religious institutions and deprivation of spiritual improvement are not policies of the state and are not tolerated by the state, the Confederacy of Kuklos will be interested in establishing relations.

However, it is the expressed stance of the Confederacy that no greater crime against humanity can be committed than the deprivation of access to religious and spiritual satisfaction, and that godlessness on the part of parties or states amounts to a greater offence than any other action a state might take against its own or foreign people. We cannot therefore guarantee that Our government will accept any outreach by the Australian State, regardless of Our own good will.

Sigurd Odinnson
Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos

[/quote]

To: Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos

Australia under no circumstances restricts the rights of citizens when it comes to religion- We wish to still gain positive relations with your nation and we hope to gain them.

Sincerely,

John C. Flemming

Edited by graniteknight

Angelika von Hapsbrug, the Exiled-Princess of the Austrian Throne and Centurion of the Amazons, found herself in an ironic position. It had only been a decade ago when she was crossing the North American continent by train to lead a revolution in the fledgling state of Idaho-Montana. During her time in North America, she had been the vanguard to stop the spread of communism, championed by the United Federation of the East and its allies. She was now the sister-in-law of the Imperator and diligently working on a plan to get the Horde's presence reestablished in the Americas. With Vicidalia gone, the Horde had lost an Amazonian state and the shaky politics of the Northern Imperium were not enough to ease the Princess' spirit. The Amazons had strength, yes, but it was time to cement that strength with diplomacy and in tracing her finger across the map, the circle of the Kuklos was a perfect fit.

[quote]
[b]To: HH Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos
From: Angelika von Hapsburg, Centurion of the Amazons[/b]

[i]Your Eminence,

The arrival of new nations is always a sign of our world's ever growing prosperity and the strength of humanity. North America especially has been recently teeming with nations, all which show signs of excellent destinies ahead. I have heard, through the grapevine, the tale of your people and their extrodinary journey to the prairies of North America and I can tell you, my people of Austria have undergone the same exodus and transformation through hardships and the struggle to be an independent people with an independent destiny. While at the moment, I am an independent agent, more loyal to the Great Horde of Tianxia, than any other state, I would like to ask for the opportunity to meet with you and discuss a future friendship.

My Queen and Sister, Theresia von Hapsburg, is in the process of liberating territory across the Asian Steppes and in time this will become our new home. Consider this then a jump start to an alliance that will come in the future. I am sure there are things in our possessions of interest and at the very least, you can depend on the Amazons as reliable allies in the future, if anything would come to such a display.

That said, I hope you take time to read this letter and reply accordingly. I away your response with much anxiety.

Sincerely,

Angelika von Hapsburg[/i]
[/quote]

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

[quote name='PresidentDavid' timestamp='1325732155' post='2892945']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Seal_of_Texas_Secretary_of_State.svg/200px-Seal_of_Texas_Secretary_of_State.svg.png[/img]

The Republic of Texas hereby recognizes the Kuklos Confederacy's Independence from Canada. We hope to have a stable, and functioning neighbor to our north that will stay in good relations with Canada, the newly formed Louisiana Federation, and ourselves.

[i]Matt Damon[/i]
[b]Texas Secretary of State[/b]
[/quote]

The Kuklos Confederacy welcomes this recognition and wishes to extend a warm hand of friendship to the Republic of Texas. As two petroleum-producing nations, the Department of Monies and Merchants wishes to extend an invitation to the Texan Ministry of Trade as well as to independent Texan Oil Companies to visit the Shale Oil fields of Kuklos with the hope of establishing an organisation in North America focusing on the trade of petroleum products to the outside world to both increase solidarity in North America as well as to secure North American influence on the global market.

With Respect,

Matthais Ritter von Oberheer
Magister of Monies and Merchants

Andreas von Schildhafen
Cancellarius of all Kukloi

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1325735629' post='2893009']
To: Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos

Australia under no circumstances restricts the rights of citizens when it comes to religion- We wish to still gain positive relations with your nation and we hope to gain them.

Sincerely,

John C. Flemming
[/quote]

Odinnson examined the short reply from the Australians back in his office in Paulsta--[i]Paulosopolis![/i] he cursed to himself; now even he was falling into the habit of calling it by its German name. The Australians had not offered him any extension of an invitation. Perhaps, though, he could go around that.

[quote]TO: John C. Flemming

If there are no restrictions on the religious rites of the citizens of Australia, it is my desire to send a delegation to your nation, which may converse with various religious bodies. If this is acceptable, please expect a delegation in your capital within the week to open an embassy.

Sigurd Odinnson

[i]That ought to accomplish what needs be accomplished,[/i] Odinnson thought to himself as he opened a strange letter that had made its way onto his desk.

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1325740324' post='2893079']To: HH Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos

Your Eminence,

The arrival of new nations is always a sign of our world's ever growing prosperity and the strength of humanity. North America especially has been recently teeming with nations, all which show signs of excellent destinies ahead. I have heard, through the grapevine, the tale of your people and their extrodinary journey to the prairies of North America and I can tell you, my people of Austria have undergone the same exodus and transformation through hardships and the struggle to be an independent people with an independent destiny. While at the moment, I am an independent agent, more loyal to the Great Horde of Tianxia, than any other state, I would like to ask for the opportunity to meet with you and discuss a future friendship.

My Queen and Sister, Theresia von Hapsburg, is in the process of liberating territory across the Asian Steppes and in time this will become our new home. Consider this then a jump start to an alliance that will come in the future. I am sure there are things in our possessions of interest and at the very least, you can depend on the Amazons as reliable allies in the future, if anything would come to such a display.

That said, I hope you take time to read this letter and reply accordingly. I away your response with much anxiety.

Sincerely,

Angelika von Hapsburg
[/quote]

[i]One is forced to wonder if she's aware of our strict Salic Law,[/i] the Pontiff mused. Nevertheless, it was an interesting note. No doubt, the Austrians of which she spoke were in a very similar situation to his followers. She had gotten all the titles and addresses wrong, but that was clearly not on purpose. An alliance with an Asiatic nation would not be pleasing to the majority of the Inner Circle, who regarded them as childish savages at best, and blood-thirsty brutes at worst. This woman, though, seemed refined - and she doubtlessly arose from an elevated bloodline. If that bloodline had remained uncontaminated by the modernism and liberality that had destroyed the old aristocratic families that he had uprooted in Niflungland, there was a possibility of close relations.

"Schildhafen!" his voice echoed down the empty hallway of the capitol building - after a few seconds, though, he heard stirring and footsteps several doors down. Schildhafen stumbled out of the door with unkempt hair and the beginnings of a beard: he had clearly spent the night in his office, something which would displease his wife immensely. Odinnson looked on with a deliberately nonplussed expression on his face. "I should say you're falling into government work rather well."

"Yes, I shall have to speak to Baron MacAilpin about that," the young man quipped in reply, referencing Odinnson's trusty Prime Minister in his days at the head of Niflunga, "he frequently complained that government had reversed his sleep schedule."

"Well, don't fall into the old Scot's habits. He's been reassigned for a reason." Odinnson had sent his long-time friend into the lower ranks of government when he refused to retire. One of the few Niflungans who had remained Christian after Odinnson's party had taken power, MacAilpin was also one of the first out the door when the rift in the National-Aristocratist movement first formed.

"Surely you have a reason for waking me up - or even being here when the building is closed," Schildhafen ignored the Pontiff's advice, "who could have contacted us this time? And what sort of diplomatic mission am I to go on?"

"Oh no, no missions today," Odinnson chuckled to himself, "no, young man, I'm going to be asking, oddly enough, for your [i]opinion[/i], if you can furnish it without a cup of coffee."

"I'll try my best, Your Holiness." The Chancellor followed his Pontiff into the latter's office and soon found a letter thrust into his hands. He adjusted his eyes and read it. "Well that's an odd one."

"I had a similar thought, but she sounds like she's worth meeting. What do you think? Should we go hunt her down or invite her here?"

"If we want to gauge her as an individual, it would be better to have her in our borders. I'll send a note to Forrest and to the Grand Inquisitor to keep themselves aware of her when she arrives and if she attempts any espionage, she'll wish we had a normal police force." Schildhafen was never quite sure if he approved of the Inquisition as it was run by the Order of the All-Seeing Eye. The medieval inquisition had always preserved its dignity by never soiling its hands with executions and torture tactics - it left them to the secular authorities; but in the Confederation, there [i]was no[/i] secular authority.

"Yes, I've been thinking Graf von Hörbinger enjoys his job too much," Odinnson sighed; it was difficult to find a genuinely pious man to execute that necessary function of the state. Too often the temptation of pride and power interfered. On the other hand, Hörbinger had always proved himself so effective that it was difficult to replace him. So this world's imperfections would unfortunately continue to infect the Pontiff's government. "But his services may not be needed -- she doesn't seem like a spy, and her claim to Habsburg blood is indeed accurate," he motioned to an open copy of [i]The Descendents and Cadet Branches of the Houses of Habsburg, Bourbon, and Lorraine[/i] on his desk, "so I think we could benefit from a visit."

"The key then, is how does she get here and where do we put her?" Schildhafen filled in exactly what the Pontiff had planned to say.

"Exactly my thoughts. I'll draft a letter of response. There are a number of heretic churches in the city we are making efforts to convert into monastic housing. Perhaps we could put her in one of the nunneries--"

"Or some place more comfortable. There are at least two hotels still functioning in this city that can house her in luxury befitting her bloodline, if it's true." The Chancellor cut Odinnson off -- sometimes the zeal of the Pontiff led him to forget certain aspects of diplomacy.

"Or that, indeed. Well we'll decide that if she shows up." Now, I recommend you take the rest of the day off and go home to your wife; we are pious men, and ought to eschew luxury, but sleep in even the softest bed is often a necessity.

"As you command." Schildhafen could have collapsed with joy at the thought of a day off - he hadn't had one since Cuba.

Odinnson meanwhile turned to his papers and removed his fountain pen and letterhead to draft his letter of reply to this Habsburg Princess.

[img]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7287/odinnsonletterhead.png[/img]

The Californian Republic extends a warm welcome to the Kuklos Confederacy and it's independence from Canada. We welcome another brethren to the ranks of American nations. We hope our relations will just be as great as we currently do with the Canadians.

Kevin O'Malley
Secretary of State of the Californian Republic

"Rather odd people, don't you think?"

Angelika left Ehestadt the moment that the letter from the Kuklos arrived, with Theresia's Companion, Nika Radinkova, having come back from the Western Front, the Princess enlisted her assistance on the journey East. The two Amazons left by plane early in the morning, flying the colors of the Great Horde's air force as they passed over the Pacific Ocean and the shores of North America. For Nika, who had never seen the outside of Vaule for much of her life and in the past year had found herself touring much of Asia and now North America, the normally reserved woman was bouncing through the plane. She would run to every window of the jet and look down over the forests and deserts and badlands below, all culminating in an amazing experience. Finally, after exhausting herself, she returned to her seat.

"Odd?"

Angelika laughed and rolled her eyes passing the letter towards the Russian. The two brunettes were probably the fiercest two women in the Amazon Tribe and Nika was slowly becoming a warrior to match. It made Angelika very proud to pull her away from the still ever-dainty presence of the Amazon Queen. "We need these people as allies, we have little in the way of friendship within North America, not that Vicidalia is gone, but I dislike the thought of being allied with people who are so obviously elitist."

After scanning the letter, Nika shrugged. "Overly pious men. What do you expect? I'm sure we're dealing with the absolute core of Paternalism."

"We I made no promises to Theresia, if the Kuklos appear to be nothing but moronic racists, we'll be better off without them, but we'll give them a chance. That's the very least I can do, is give them a chance."

The Tianxian Jet descended a few hours later into Paulstadt and the two Amazons walked down from the plane onto the tarmac to meet the delegation. Angelika and Nika dressed strategically, they wore long white officer coats from the old Austrian Imperial Army, two cockaded hats that gently caressed their brown hair and the ceremonial spear of the Amazons tied to their back. Walking across the tarmac, the two Amazons bowed their heads at the delegation and then Angelika outstretched her hand.

"I am Angelika von Hapsburg, Centurion of the Amazons. This is my guard and companion of our Queen, Nika Radinkova. We are here for an audience with your Pontiff."

[quote name='Tanis777' timestamp='1325754345' post='2893237']
The Californian Republic extends a warm welcome to the Kuklos Confederacy and it's independence from Canada. We welcome another brethren to the ranks of American nations. We hope our relations will just be as great as we currently do with the Canadians.

Kevin O'Malley
Secretary of State of the Californian Republic
[/quote]

The Kuklos Confederacy happily accepts the Californian Republic’s overtures and hopes that there will be no opposition in establishing an embassy in the Californian capital.

Andreas von Schildhafen
Cancellarius of all Kukloi

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1325780570' post='2893358']
"Rather odd people, don't you think?"

Angelika left Ehestadt the moment that the letter from the Kuklos arrived, with Theresia's Companion, Nika Radinkova, having come back from the Western Front, the Princess enlisted her assistance on the journey East. The two Amazons left by plane early in the morning, flying the colors of the Great Horde's air force as they passed over the Pacific Ocean and the shores of North America. For Nika, who had never seen the outside of Vaule for much of her life and in the past year had found herself touring much of Asia and now North America, the normally reserved woman was bouncing through the plane. She would run to every window of the jet and look down over the forests and deserts and badlands below, all culminating in an amazing experience. Finally, after exhausting herself, she returned to her seat.

"Odd?"

Angelika laughed and rolled her eyes passing the letter towards the Russian. The two brunettes were probably the fiercest two women in the Amazon Tribe and Nika was slowly becoming a warrior to match. It made Angelika very proud to pull her away from the still ever-dainty presence of the Amazon Queen. "We need these people as allies, we have little in the way of friendship within North America, not that Vicidalia is gone, but I dislike the thought of being allied with people who are so obviously elitist."

After scanning the letter, Nika shrugged. "Overly pious men. What do you expect? I'm sure we're dealing with the absolute core of Paternalism."

"We I made no promises to Theresia, if the Kuklos appear to be nothing but moronic racists, we'll be better off without them, but we'll give them a chance. That's the very least I can do, is give them a chance."

The Tianxian Jet descended a few hours later into Paulstadt and the two Amazons walked down from the plane onto the tarmac to meet the delegation. Angelika and Nika dressed strategically, they wore long white officer coats from the old Austrian Imperial Army, two cockaded hats that gently caressed their brown hair and the ceremonial spear of the Amazons tied to their back. Walking across the tarmac, the two Amazons bowed their heads at the delegation and then Angelika outstretched her hand.

"I am Angelika von Hapsburg, Centurion of the Amazons. This is my guard and companion of our Queen, Nika Radinkova. We are here for an audience with your Pontiff."
[/quote]

The wind whipped across the tarmac after the recent snow storm.

“Well’ere’s an odd bloody pair,” John Hendrix turned to his companion Knight, part of the contingency sent by Commander Forrest to guard the airport against possible sabotage, “I don’ mind a woman in uniform, but wha’s those two sticks on ‘eir back?”

His partner, Ed Burns, replied with a sigh, “I swear ah’ll go deaf tryin’ to decifer yer manner o’ speakin’. It looks like some kinda ceremonious thing – you know how foreigners kin be. ‘Sides, it do’n’t bother the big-wigs none.” He motioned with his rifle toward the delegation from the Magisterium of Foreign Affairs.

“Yeah ‘ats very nice, but it still looks damnable strange ta me.” Hendrix and Burns both shut up and straightened to attention when they saw they were in view of their commanding officer. They had travelled far and wide with Commander Forrest and were well aware of what directives he had issued to his local Kommandants.

[img]http://media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/winter-storm-90f4f5c276d5f784.jpg[/img]
[b]Airport Tarmac[/b]

The delegation was less taken aback at the strange combination of tribal and European baroque styles. Magister Kahlstein was busy preparing for his trip to Finland, but his [i]Adjutor[/i] of Foreign Affairs and apprentice was there to meet two ladies. Hugo von Giroux’s family was originally from Alsace, and, as his name suggested, they had been somewhat affected by their French surroundings. Giroux was a dedicated Adjutor, though, and as effective if not more than some of his pure-blooded counterparts.

“Madame, it is a pleasure to welcome you to our temporary capital. If you do not mind the walk, we have a special car waiting for you past the guards.” He motioned in the direction Burns and Hendrix, now fully at attention and looking far sharper than their minds ought to have allowed. Behind them was an archway that led down stairs underneath the terminal. The tunnel had just been put in, so the tiles and floors were clean, though the planned murals on the walls and ceilings had not been completed. It led to the street on the other side of the terminal, and had been specially laid out and designed with receiving foreign dignitaries in mind.

Giroux led the women through the passage-way with the five-man delegation accompanying him. Two of them were brothers from the Order of the All-Seeing Eye, and were attired accordingly with their long black robes just barely hiding the boxwood sandals they wore. Their sashes were very clearly hemp, but both were disciplined enough to hide the discomfort being caused by their hair-shirts. Also in the company were two crimson-clad clerics, sporting Roman collars but not in the traditional black the Latin Church prescribed. The red signified diplomatic detail from the Order as well as their stance as elevated Priests, privy to some of the secrets of the Brethren and the Inner Circle.

Giroux himself was dressed plainly – a black suit with a simple crimson-lined cloak and a blue-and-gold sash denoting his department in the Magisterium of Foreign Affairs. The only sign of power was the fur collar on the coat, and even that was not as ostentatious as some of the military uniforms. He had removed the black fedora (broader brimmed than most) he had been wearing and was carrying it as he escorted the two foreigners to the silver Aston Martin Rapide the Magisterium had obtained from a dealer in the south near Sustadt (formerly Sioux City).

As the ladies climbed in the car, a squadron of fighters swooped overhead for landing at the airport. The two visitors looked up as Giroux explained, “the Pontiff sent them south to photograph the territory around the Mille Lacs region. We’ve heard of some rebels moving north to confer with the former natives of this territory that they’ve forced to live on reservations. We have some plans underway to allow the savages – they call themselves Anishinabe in this region – to roam as they wish or establish freeman farms on those lands not owned by the nobility. They seem a largely nomadic people, and with the amount of wilderness in the Zweistromland, it seems terribly inequitable to contain them on reservations as if they were some sort of disease. Their leader is also in Paulstadt this week to discuss property rights on noble land.”

They boarded the car and were off to the centre of the city to meet with Odinnson, who was now in his office in the Regierungsbau – the former Capitol Building of Paulstadt. "It should be only a fifteen minute drive to the Regierungsbau from here, but if you ladies wish we can take you to your state accommodations before your meeting with the Pontiff; he has assured me he is willing to adjust his schedule according to your desires.

[img]http://welcomehomehealthcare.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/minnesota_republican4.jpg[/img]
[b]The Regierungsbau[/b]

[i]“Madame, it is a pleasure to welcome you to our temporary capital. If you do not mind the walk, we have a special car waiting for you past the guards.”[/i]

"Oh it won't be a problem at all Excellency. I have to thank your country and your Pontiff for being so quick with the reply to my letter. I know it came across as strange, but that has always been my game. Keeping people unsure of what I'm truly all about." She said with a laugh and then she and Nika walked with Giroux past the guards and towards the the car that was waiting for them.

If the Kuklos guards found the Amazons' clothes a strange mixture, Angelika and Nika both agreed that the Confederacy had breached the gap between the Medieval and the Modern. Men in long robes looked on them with serious faces and the cold war only heightened the sense that they had been pushed back several centuries. In the back of Nika's mind she almost looked forward to a confrontation, it would give her a chance to use her spear skills against the solemn religiosity that bled from the ground. This was a Paternal world, vastly different from the Amazons own idea of life and governance, but that produced some of the strongest friendships, those who could look past the short comings and focus primarily on the mutual strength that both peoples required.

As the car began to drive off towards the Regierungsbau, the nation's air force flew over head and upon the women's observation, Giroux kindly explained, though his choice of words made both Amazons uncomfortable. Nika glared at him, but Angelika was more subtle, reacting towards the positive points the Minister had made. "Well it is good that your country can make concessions for the people who lived in this region before the rise of your nation. Civilization may be one of the great things of humanity, but a nomad is no different than a city-dweller in mind or emotion. 'Savage', Excellency, would not be a term I would use. You would be surprise how much you can learn from those who have a strong affinity to the land and the Earth. Our Queen is very...vocal...about such things. That said, I would rather meet the Pontiff now, if that is at all possible."

[quote]The Kuklos Confederacy happily accepts the Californian Republic’s overtures and hopes that there will be no opposition in establishing an embassy in the Californian capital.

Andreas von Schildhafen
Cancellarius of all Kukloi[/quote]

The Californian Republic will accept the establishment of a Kuklos Confederacy Embassy in Sacramento. We request to set up an embassy in your capitol as well.

Department of State
Foreign Relations Office
Californian Republic

[quote]TO: His Holiness Sigurd Odinnson, Pontifex Maximus of the Kuklos
SUBJ: RE: Relations

I am overjoyed to hear your decision. Punainen Kaarti troops will meet your delegation on the ground along with Minister of Foreign Affairs Taneli Ruotsalainen. She and the punainen kaarti soldiers will escort you and your convoy to the Helsinki People's Parliament. I eagerly await your arrival.

OOC: (Forgot to mention) Make a separate thread, please. Let's not clutter this one up :)

Edited by Markus Wilding