Creating a Warrior

Mara Lithaen

Lady General Jane Whitelighter sat behind her desk, studying the reports before her, glancing up at her screen occasionally. A new proposal from the Office of Future Warfare had come in - most of it was beyond her comprehension. Not for lack of intelligence, but for lack of reference points. Many terms were thrown around in the report she'd needed to have explained, but once they were, it was relatively simple.

Every military in the world had their own "elite" forces - troops picked for their skill and experience to receive the best training and equipment that the country could provide, and then "stand ready to do violence on their behalf.". The Imperium, as yet, lacked one, but several promising candidates came up to be inducted into the new organization. There were other proposals, however...

She picked up the blue phone on the edge of her desk. "Michael, get me a comm to the Commune's chief scientist."

She was known by many names, The Blue Demon, the Scourge of Austria, and the personal nemesis of the Hapsburg Family, but one name stood out from the rest despite her dark personality - genius. Bridgette Saenger was an unfortunate woman who had led various attempts to see the world around her burn. It had lead her out of Austria to the Pacific Islands and then back to Europe under the alias, Wilhelmine Signoret and in France with her intelligence she had risen swiftly in the ranks of the French Research and Development department. However, her methodology and approach to science was one that the French casually kept under the radar. Already, Signoret had killed five soldiers in the refinement process of her brainchild, Serum-X2 and while her genius could not be disputed she was kept away for her strange experiments, deep under Parisian laboratories.

The Imperium had always been a strange ally for the French, ideologically different, and involved on the opposite side of the wars in North America. While not wanting to turn away an ally, the Ministry of Development decided it would be best to use the bad egg that was at the time sitting in the depths of Paris. The call was redirected and out of the darkness, a hand slipped over the cell phone while two blue eyes were reflected on a monitor screen.

"Wihelmine Signoret, speaking, who is this?"

"Madame Signoret, this is General Jane Whitelighter of the Imperial Army. I have heard... rumors saying that you are among the best in the world at genetic modification. If this is true, the Imperium has work for you. Is it?" Jane spoke into the phone, pressing it against her shoulder as she tapped up a requisition form for another seven hundred ALASM missiles, a second monitor showing the top choices for the new special forces unit she was hoping to get started.

"The best in the world?" Wilhelmine's eyes brightened furiously as she turned away from the monitors. "Well, I don't know who would have told you that Madame Whitelighter, but yes you are speaking to one of the world's premier researchers on genetic modification. But work, eh? I think I could some, I could use a vacation after all. But what kind of work are you trying to pawn off on me and second, what will I receive in return? I am a woman who likes to live vicariously, General. I hope you can treat me to very specific tastes."

A scream from one of her experiments howled up in the darkness. It was a husky scream, a man going through the metamorphosis of one of the scientist's new prototypes and it was clear he wasn't going to survive. "Ah, mind the noise general. But yes, answer me those two questions and you have my most dedicated service."

Jane grimaced at the scream, but kept any trace of it from showing in her voice."Doctor, you would of course receive the finest laboratory and equipment the Imperium can buy, along with a large budget to go with it, freedom in choosing your assistants, and test subjects. The job, the job is to create a super-soldier, whom we have code-named the Seraphim. Stronger, smarter, faster, more dextrous, harder to kill... all of those things. Our finest engineers will be working with you as well - our specialization in the Imperium, if we have one, seems more mechanical in nature. You would design in the Seraphims' physical capabilities - and our engineers would design equipment to make the best use of it. Simple enough, if a complex order. Are you interested?"

"A super soldier?" Wilhelmine chuckled into the phone. "Oh, my dear General, that is my specialty, the breaking of the human genome for strength, aggression, and power. Perhaps, I could even interest you in a demonstration of my abilities of modification on yourself, as a temporary statement of my mastery of the art. Because it truly is an art. To be able to change men and women from miserable normalcy to the way the gods had always designed for us to look and feel. Call it eating of the tree of knowledge and drinking of the river of power, my dear General. It isn't complex though and I appreciate being able to pick out my assistants, I think they'll enjoy working with me. I think the test subjects will as well."

The scream sounded again, this time becoming almost like a lustful growl as chains in the background began to rattle. "Ah well yes General, I think I could definitely use a vacation, things haven't been going well in France. But if possible, I would like my own estate somewhere in the nation. I'm a bit of a recluse, however, you seem like a delightful young woman, if you'd ever want to share a cup of tea, please let me know."

Collapsing in her chair, Wilhelmine crossed her legs and shouldered the phone. "That said, I will be on the first flight to your capital. Would that be acceptable?"

"What is this?" Said Minister Paul Voisin as he looked at the slip of paper on his desk and the woman in front of him with a long red peacoat with her blonde hair tied into a tight bun at her back. The woman's blue eyes pierced into his soul as he read through the report and shuffled nervously in his seat. "So you'll be leaving us, Mademoiselle Signoret? For the Alaskans?"

"Perhaps only for a bit of time, Minister Voisin, I hope I can get back to Paris as soon as possible. I really have enjoyed my stay." She grinned, her teeth barred at the minister.

"Yes, indeed. Well, I guess this is a special case. I wasn't aware," he said looking back at the paper. "Hydroponic research was in your list of specialties."

"You'd be surprised what I can specialize in Minister." Wilhelmine leaned over the desk and fluttered her eyelashes. "Shame you never took me up on the offer."

At the perfect time, the door to the Minister's office opened as one of the aides walked. "Mademoiselle, the Imperial cruiser to take you to Alaska has arrived. We've prepared a limousine for you."

"Oh?" She said turning around and picking up her suitcase from the ground. "Well then, I guess it's time to say 'au revoir' to France. Until another time Minister. It was a pleasure."

"Like-likewise, Mademoiselle Signoret. Good luck in Alaska."

Wilhelmine left the Ministry of Research and Development to Charles de Gaulle Airport where the Imperial jet was waiting for her and upon arriving, the scientist dropped her suitcase out of shock and awe at what would be taking her across the oceans. The jet which cold travel up into the air, up into low space was a work of art and captured the madwoman's heart immediately. "Damn, I should have asked their government for one of those."

Within moments she was on her way across space to the distant lands of the Alaskan Imperium.

The jet accelerated down the runway, and within ten minutes, reached the very edge of space at 80,000 feet. The jet engines shut down, scramjets kicking in and boosting them into hypersonic flight, reaching Imperium airspace in four hours. The jet closed off its scramjets, transferring back to normal turbojets, and descended on Illarion International like a massive, sleek bird of prey. A runway had been cleared for the special visitor, and General Whitelighter was waiting on the tarmac in a limousine when the HAHST arrived with Madame Signoret aboard. Exiting the limo as the plane's door opened, Jane waited at the bottom of the stairs for the scientist.

The power of the jet was amazing, it was like nothing Wilhelmine had ever ridden on before in her life. In minutes the jet had ascended into the lower regions of space and the world below her was small and insignificant. This was surely what it felt like to own the world and if the Imperials were this flamboyant about their gadgets, she was ecstatic to turn a few of them into blood-thirsty killing machines and perhaps a few others into her own, more personal soldiers. Reaching down, she opened her suitcase and the glowing vials of blue glimmered back at her as she opened a small case of white pills and slid two of them down her throat. Meeting the Imperial Government was important and there was no time to take chances with her Inner-Beast, best to keep that secret from her new employers for as long as possible, if even never descending into rage at all. Though rage and madness was company and perhaps there were those, ready to share such a gift.

Four hours later, the jet landed in Imperial airspace and into the cold walked Wilhelmine, wrapped in a long red coat and a fur hat snuggled over her blonde hair. Seeing General Whitelighter out on the tarmac she smiled and took off her red glove to shake her hand. "General, it's a pleasure and the ride over here, you were right, very stylish. So you'll have to tell me about this 'job', I assume the test subjects are already in-line, though for a moment I thought you were interested in godhood yourself." She said with a delightful chuckle.

"You have a beautiful country, out of the way and cold. My paradise."

Jane smiled a bit."Godhood suits me not, dear Doctor. And yes, it is beautiful." she said, turning and leading her back towards the limousine, and she entered it, Wilhelmine close behind. "The job I have for you is creating our special forces group - our best soldiers will be modified with your gene therapies when they have been developed, and then encased in the finest armors that our people can make, turning them into demigods of war in their own right." Jane said. "Your test subjects will be our worst criminals - the ones we least care about dying due to complications, and the ones we'd be most happy to shoot if things get out of hand. How does the job suit you, so far?"

"Oh the job suits me just fine General. You will find out that I am quite dedicated to the research into genetic manipulation. Normally people of status and power come to me, which is why I believed that you were the person that needed enhanced. But prisoners will be fine test subjects. My only concern is that with the prisoners, to do enhancements, not every experiment is a failure. Some of these prisoners may have their lives changed for the better and I am always up for servants in helping me with my work. I ask that you allow me to keep some of the prisoners, if they can be reeducated in the process. But I can assure you, in time, you will have a platoon of demi-gods at your command."

Jane nodded."If you are successful... and their criminal records don't involve any of our capital crimes... then yes, you may keep them for... additional assistants." she said." A platoon? If you can make that many, you will have my respect. And probably a contract for three hundred or more."