Where the Sun Touches the Land

Michael McBride

The location was Syracuse, NY, Memorial Square Park. Here, a podium was erected with the flag of the Empire hanging over it, not the flag of the United States as most predicted. No one really knew what was going on or why the press conference had been called, only that it was from the President's office and that it concerned a matter of the future of the nation. As such, many reporters were shocked when they saw Councilor Jacob Palmer walk out, flanked by Xavier Solomon, a minor player in the state department, and Dr. Leonard L. Church. Cameras flickered as Palmer stepped to the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, assembled press, thank you for being here. I know that it's rather cold, so I will be as brief as possible. What I am about to say will probably shock a great many of you, but I would ask that you direct all questions to my press secretary after the conference." Jacob cleared his throat.

"First things first, I have a confession to make. My name is not Jacob Palmer... at least that is not my full name. My full name is Jacob Palmer Harland, son of former Emperor Michael Harland, who is still alive and well." Jacob waved a hand and Sir Michael Harland stepped out onto the podium. Cameras started flickering wildly again as Jacob put up his hands for calm. "Please, everyone, please, all questions will be answered after the press conference." He looked down before continuing.

"Number two. Emperor... or should I say President, Thomas Atkinson-Asgeirsson, his sister, Commandant Alice Atkinson-Asgeirsson, his mother, Her Majesty Hannah Asgeirsson, and Dr. Henry Solo all passed away Christmas Eve night." Again, a flurry of camera flashes. There had been speculation that something was wrong when it had been days since the family had been seen, but no one suspected the entire upper echelon of government was dead. "The President, his family, and trusted advisers did not die of natural causes. There were killed in coup, orchestrated by Dr. Church and myself." This time a roar went up, one of both anger and disbelief. Jacob stared at the press before putting his gloved hands up for calm again.

"The reasons for this coup were simple: Thomas Atkinson-Asgeirsson had pledged to turn this country into something it had vowed to destroy. He was turning us into our own worst enemy. That is why my father led the previous revolution. And that is why I followed in his footsteps and led this one." Jacob gestured to the memorial behind him. "I chose this spot to make this announcement for a reason. It was here that more than one thousand soldiers were massacred by the Emperor's forces. It was here that brave men made a final stand for what they believed in, the ideals that this country was founded upon!" Jacob's fist into the podium accentuated his last statement.

"During the past few days, I have spoken with the governors of every state in the Empire, and every protectorate. I told them they had a choice. They could remain with our new Empire, or they could continue their way of self-sufficiency until a new government rose from within. Every state, except New York, has chosen the route of self-sufficiency. We wish them nothing but the best, and will always consider them sisters and brothers. I ask that the nations of the world respect their right to self-sovereignty, and to allow new governments to spring from their lands. The governors have indicated that they do not wish to join any current government in the world. Again, I ask that the nations of the world respect that decision. If you do not, we will defend our brother's and sister's right to choose their own path, from the barrel of a gun if necessary."

"As of today, the borders of the Empire of Pravus Ingruo are as follows: the state of New York, IMB: Ireland in Scotland, IMB: CP off the coast of Canada, and Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. We will hold protectorate status over the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont. The rest of the governors are free to go. Defense there will be provided by their own National Guard soldiers and local police. All Imperial military equipment will be withdrawn within three months. The new capital of the Empire will be relocated here, to Syracuse. More changes will obviously be forthcoming in the days and weeks ahead."

"I have been asked to lead this new nation, to take it in my father's footsteps into a golden age. However, I will not take the title of Emperor. We have had our last Emperor, and he tried to destroy the nation. My official title will be Potentate Jacob Harland. Dr. Leonard L. Church will be my second in command with the title of Vizier, and Xavier Solomon will be Secretary of Foreign Affairs. Questions should be directed through my press secretary or Mr. Solomon's." Jacob looked down one last time and smiled.

"Today the Empire begins a new era. The Empire prevails! Always!"

OOC: Here's what happened, broken down in a nutshell:
New Leader: Jacob Harland
New Borders: Only NY, and military bases already marked plus Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA, and VT are protectorates
The rest is open white land [b]for new nations only![/b] I will fight existing nations who try and expand into the land, don't test me.

[quote][center][img]http://images.wikia.com/falloutfanon/images/5/52/Wolf-Symbol2.jpg[/img]

Dispatch from the Khagan of the Great Horde of Tianxia[/center]

It is our recollection that Michael Harland attempted the launch of weapons of mass destruction against our allies before his quite just demise. In this context we request information regarding the commitments of his son to existing treaties as well as request to know whether or not he approved of his father's actions.

Sincerely,

Yuan Jia[/quote]

[i]***Private Message to Jacob Harland***[/i]

[quote]Potentate Jacob Harland,

We are shocked by the sudden regime change within the Empire. I recognize our nations have had rocky relations at times that have even put us at odds diplomatically...for a period it would even be stated we were deeply distrustful of one another. Those qualms however have long since passed and we have developed a hefty respect for all the Empire has done to secure the Americas. It is with that in mind we will recognize your administration as the rightful rulers of the Empire. Furthermore, we hope that our nations can work closer together to ensure the continued stability of the Americas for the future and beyond.

Sincerely,
King Enrique Bourbon I of New Spain[/quote]

---

[b]Public Address[/b]

[i]"New Spain recognizes The Harland administration as the rightful rulers of the Empire and echos it's sentiment of allowing the free states to decide their own fate in the world."[/i]
[i]-King Enrique Bourbon[/i]

[quote]Dispatch from the Khagan of the Great Horde of Tianxia

It is our recollection that Michael Harland attempted the launch of weapons of mass destruction against our allies before his quite just demise. In this context we request information regarding the commitments of his son to existing treaties as well as request to know whether or not he approved of his father's actions.

Sincerely,

Yuan Jia
[/quote]

***Private Reply***

Khagan Jia,

My father fought for what he believed in in the revolution. He saw the corruption of Atkinson-Asgeirsson, and sought to stop it. Did he perhaps go about it in an unfortunate manner? One can argue that, and I'm sure it will be argued and debated for quite some time. But above all, my father believed and still believes in this country, in her people, and in the ideals it was founded upon, not some disfigured manifestation that Atkinson-Asgeirsson was turning it into.

All current treaty commitments will be honored. We will undergo a treaty re-evaluation for all, but until such time all treaties will be followed to the letter.

Sincerely,
Jacob Harland
Potentate

[quote]
Potentate Jacob Harland,

We are shocked by the sudden regime change within the Empire. I recognize our nations have had rocky relations at times that have even put us at odds diplomatically...for a period it would even be stated we were deeply distrustful of one another. Those qualms however have long since passed and we have developed a hefty respect for all the Empire has done to secure the Americas. It is with that in mind we will recognize your administration as the rightful rulers of the Empire. Furthermore, we hope that our nations can work closer together to ensure the continued stability of the Americas for the future and beyond.

Sincerely,
King Enrique Bourbon I of New Spain[/quote]

***Private Reply to King Bourbon***

I believe that sunny relations between our two nations are for the best. Animosity between power players on a continent never bodes well for future peace as a whole. I look forward to speaking with you personally at some point in the future so that we may hash out the details of a brighter, stronger North America.

Sincerely,
Jacob Harland
Potentate