Exodus

freakwars

OOC: The events in this RP happen during the collapse of the KoC. I meant to post it earlier but then Christmas and a pile of other things happened.

IC:
"General Mehta! General Mehta! The Kingdom is lost. General Mola Ram has launched a coup d'etat against King Varma! The men are deserting en masse and the UFE is advancing uncontested. The war is lost!” the lieutenant shouted as he ran into General Mehta'a office. The General calmly looked up at his aide. “What is this treason? The war cannot be lost, the war will not be lost. “ “but sir, the Kingdom has fallen! We cannot stand alone against all the forces of the UFE. We must surrender.” “ Very well, tell the men to surrender.” When the lieutenant turned to leave, Viresh pulled his sidearm from its holster and shot the aide in the back of the head. Gray brains and the red splatters of blood splattered all over the walls and door. The General stood from his chair and walked to the body. He looked for a moment, nudged it with his foot to ensure the young soldier was indeed dead. When he was satisfied that the lieutenant had been killed, he dragged the husk into a closet. With the corpse hidden, he opened the door and ordered one of the soldiers working in the HQ to broadcast an order to the Regimental MPs to shoot any man who tried to desert. Another order was sent out to the rest of the division to retreat to the south in the same order of battle as they had when pulling the expeditionary force back to Hami. Their objective would be the nearest unoccupied port. “We will return to restore the King or his heir to threir rightful throne one day. But for now we must retreat and gather our strength.” The General told the command staff.

Dust rained down from the ceiling of the headquarters of the 2nd brigade of the Gosree Dragoons as a UFE artillery shell landed near the defenses in Xinxingxia. The communications officer yelled that a message from Hami HQ had arrived for General Raj-Singh. The General strode across the room and took the radio from the officer.
"We are to retreat?! What the hell is General Mehta thinking! If we retreat the UFE'll have a straight path to the capital. We have to kill those !@#$%^&* now to keep our people safe!...What do you mean General Ram has taken King Varma prisoner and is ordering a surrender to the UFE! $%&@. Very well, the 2nd will hold while the rest of Singhforce retreats to the south. The best chance for my units survival is if you provide me with the support helicopters and the Piranhas for the retreat. My brigade will hand over its AXEs to the rest of Singhforce to facilitate their retreat... What the $%&@ are you talking about! There are civilians in Hami and the UFE has Mongol troops with them. We have to get them out before the UFE arrives...Goddammit Viresh, I won't let civilians die just to save out own necks!...Very well then, I'll pull out as many f the troops as I can. The Blackhawks will still be appreciated.”

The roads were choked with refugees fleeing the depredations of the routing soldiers of the Border Guard. In places where groups of refugees had been overtaken by the broken men, the screams of women rang out, and the sound of gunfire inspired the other refugees to move faster. Some ran too fast, and their vehicles stalled on the side of the road, leaving them helpless. Many tried to run on foot, but the Border Guardsmen took a fiendish pleasure in running them down in AXEs. Those who did not run sat by the side of the road in despair, their tear-streaked faces turned toward the sky, beseeching their gods for aid. Some ran towards Mola Ram's army in Cochin, where they hoped to find some protection. Others gathered around the Gosree Dragoons, as they fled south in good order towards Delhi, where they heard the garrison still held. There they hoped to refuel and replenish other supplies. Still more refugees fled towards Bangladesh, where they heard they could find some protection. The division had gathered a tail of thousands of refugees that stretched for miles behind the unit by the time they came into sight of Delhi. A convoy of AXEs drove out of the city. They stopped a mile from the division and called for a representative of the division to come treat with His Majesty Privtharaj Chauhan.

"Brigadier Raj-Singh, I am leaving you in command while I go to speak with this "king". I will check in every hour. If I do not check in, you have my permission to invade Delhi, as long as the UFE hasn't managed to get through General Ram by then."
"Understood."
"Good, I'm trusting you with this, Rohit."

Edited by freakwars

Major General Viresh Mehta, formerly of the Royal Cochin Armed Forces, rode in a convoy of AXEs on their way into the Kingdom of Delhi. His three vehicles were surrounded by what he had been assured was an honor guard who would protect him on the way to the King. As they drove through the narrow streets of Model Town in North West Delhi, Viresh noticed that the people seemed frightened of the Delhi troops and his own. His curiosity was laid to rest when they came upon a line of Delhi infantrymen firing into a crowded, blocked off courtyard. The screams echoed behind them as the convoy preceded onward. Viresh shuddered. Delhi had changed a great deal since the coup d'etat.

The convoy stopped in front of the Rashtrapati Bhavan, where a heavily fortified roadblock had been erected halfway along the causeway leading to the Governor's Palace itself. The sergeant in command of the unit waved the convoy into a makeshift parking lot in what had once been a garden. Viresh climbed out of the AXE, and motioned Sergeant Rangarajan to his side. "Leave half the men here to keep the AXEs ready to go. I don't trust this King...what was his name?, "Privtharaj Chauhan"?", Viresh whispered to the soldier. "Yessir. The men will be ready to provide a proper guard in a moment."

The doors opened into what had once been a great dining room for the governor of Delhi, but what was now the throne room of the self-proclaimed "King of All India". The King was a large man in the way that a retired athlete is: neither fat nor strong. He wore clothes in the style of the Mughal Emperors that looked like they had been looted from a museum somewhere. The Delhi Sergeant leaned over to Viresh and spoke in his ear,"When you approach His Majesty, be sure to bow before him." " I will not bow, sir. I bow before no man but King Varma."

Edited by freakwars

The king leaned forward from his museum-piece throne. “Have you come to swear fealty to me, you Gosree Dragoons of India? Have you come to throw off the shackles that endless foreign empires have thrown on us? Well? What say you!” Viresh stood straight and said to the king, “I am loyal to King Varma, the rightful ruler of all the people of Cochin, including his loyal subjects of the subcontinent. You are a traitor, sir, and my men will come and throw you down in the name of the King.” The King of Indias face grew red and he began to shake with rage. In an apoplectic fury he screamed at his guards, “Arrest this man. He is a traitor to India and a dog of the Cochin Imperialists, and I will have his head for this offense!” The Cochin-uniformed soldiers of Delhi grabbed Viresh and roughly forced his arms behind his back. He craned his neck and saw the squad of soldiers that had accompanied him trying to fight off the men of Delhi. He heard a crack and one of the Delhi men fell back from the melee, his arm bent at an unnatural angle. One of the men holding him shoved him to the ground and he was no longer able to see what was happening.

Brigadier General Rohit Raj-Singh paced back and forth in the command tent of the 2nd ACR ‘Gosree Dragoons’. General Mehta was three hours overdue. A brief radio message had come in from the detachment guarding the AXEs at the scheduled check-in time before they cut out abruptly. Rohit had ordered the Regiment to prepare for an assault on the city and had gathered the other generals to the command tent in order to prepare for the assault. Brigadier Bhatnagar spoke up, “ Rohit, is it really necessary to invade the city? There will be many civilian casualties if we go through with this, are we sure it’s necessary?” Rohit turned and spoke,” Goddammit, I know the deaths we’re going to cause! But we have to get the General back, and before the UFE arrives somehow. This is the only way to accomplish that mission. I don’t like it, you don’t like, but we don’t have to like it, we have to do it.” “Alright. We’ll do it your way.”

The First Brigade 'Death's Angels' and the Second Brigade 'The Wolf Brigade' moved out of the camp where they had been arrayed in serried ranks of BMPs and BDRMs. The rumble of their engines was like a stormfront moving into Model Town.

Edited by freakwars

Viresh awoke with a start. His entire body ached from the beating he had received from the King in Delhi’s soldiers when he was being captured, and the hard floor was not helping the pain. He could hear the crackle of gunfire in the distance. He assumed that it was the sound of another scene like the one he had seen on the way to the Rashtrapati Bhavan, that more civilians were being slaughtered by the zengfu. He laughed at himself. Even in a godforsaken prison in a wartorn Delhi, he was still using the Chinese slang he had picked up working as a gold farmer in Dharavi when he was a child. A clattering echoed down the hallway from the guardpost, then angry shouts. Viresh walked to the cell door and craned his neck to try and see what was going on. Gunshots rang out. A voice shouted into the hallway, “Prisoners of the decadent regime! The Revolution has arriv". A gunshot silenced the voice before it could finish the sentence. A second gunshot rang out. Then hurried footsteps moved down the hallway. It was a man dressed in a dark camouflage uniform. He carried a Cochin-issue sub machine gun. When he saw Viresh staring at him through the bars, he approached and asked him, “Are you Major General Mehta?” “I am General Mehta” “Good, let’s get you out of here” “First, I must ask you, who are you, why are you rescuing me?” The other man drew himself into a straighter posture and saluted before saying, “I am Captain Bjaracharya, of the Royal Cochin Army Special Operations Force. I’m here to take you back to your unit so we can get out of this country and gather support to regain our King and Kingdom.” “ Very well, I shall go with you, but first we must rescue the squad of men that I brought with me.” “They’re already out. I’ve got a convoy of AXEs waiting for you so that we can get you out of the city before it explodes.” Gunfire sounded in the distance. Then, a louder explosion boomed into the air. “ I’d say it’s too late to get out before it explodes at this point.”

Makeshift barricades appeared in the streets before the assaulting forces of the 2nd ACR. Delhi troops had held them, but as the troops approached, it became clear that only corpses manned them now. Dozens of bodies in civilian dress lay scattered over the barricades, with the occasional Delhi soldier mixed in. A civilian holding a rifle and hoisting a flag stood atop the barricade that faced General Bhatnagar’s unit. The flag was plain red, and the words on it read लोगों के लिए पावर. The man atop the barricade set the flag into its place. The soldiers watched him warily, waiting to see what he would do. He raised his rifle, and a shot rang out. The civilian crumpled to the ground, a flower of red appearing on his forehead, to match his red flag. The dismounts set to work clearing the barricades out of the way so that the APCs could continue onward to the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the palace that the “king” had stolen. General Bhatnagar didn’t know what they would find there. Would the red flag be raised over the corpse of the city? Or would the king still rule over the bloated cadaver he called India? The APCs thundered toward the city center to find out what there was to find.

Edited by freakwars