Legends of Cybernations

Joseph Black

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoyed the way Doitzel was able to subtly mock the more "serious" players of cybernations while himself roleplaying as a very "srs bznss" government representative. Well played, sir.

To me being a legend is less about what you did and more about how memorable you are/were. This game is driven more by personalities than numbers. That being said, guys like the aforementioned-Doitzel, Electron Sponge, Rebel Virginia, and Stumpy are amongst the few kings among men of cybernations.

[quote name='Opethian' timestamp='1323122440' post='2864077']
I always enjoyed the way Doitzel was able to subtly mock the more "serious" players of cybernations while himself roleplaying as a very "srs bznss" government representative. Well played, sir.
[/quote]
haha <3 I did my best (which, between you and me, was pretty damn good).

For what it's worth you're definitely one of the unforgettable personalities. I swear that's not just reciprocal flattery!

[quote name='atrophis' timestamp='1323137784' post='2864762']
The fact that I'd even have to mention my own name shows how pedestrian this thread is. As such, I won't.

Amateurs.
[/quote]
D: I'm sorry I forgot about you.

[quote name='HellAngel' timestamp='1322673543' post='2857077']
Syzygy. The guy influenced serveral game updates and was an epic leader politically.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='Banksy' timestamp='1322888497' post='2859899']
This argument can be used for literally every person nominated (except from o ya baby who took on the world by himself and won).
[/quote]

Not necessarily true. I think anyone that took it upon themselves to shape a coalition did not necessarily need the backings of those doing the grunt work in their respective alliances. This war, for example, took someone with a vast understanding of the treaty web and individual grudges (and aspirations in NPOs case) to shape this into a curbstomp of Polaris/SF/XX (who, all combined, are well connected enough where this shouldn't be a curbstomp). Getting all these strategic alliances to DoS despite not being allied to (and in some cases not fond of) each other in order to accomplish that is the making of a legend. I have no clue who did it though, I would guess someone in TOP which leads me to crymson, but his posting makes me doubt that. :unsure:

[quote name='Wilhelm the Demented' timestamp='1323108295' post='2863775']
The deeply personal nature of this discussion will make it virtually impossible for anyone to agree on anyone other than Ivan Moldavi.
[/quote]

Seems to me that noone has disagreed with Dac Synzy or Prodigal Chieftan either.

[quote name='Vukland' timestamp='1323120607' post='2864026']
This thread needs more Fishguts and by that I mean I nominate Fishguts!
[/quote]

Asa Philips > Fishguts old friend :P

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1323119943' post='2864015']
I'm not sure how a discussion about the CN Legends can be "deeply personnal". Unless you mean that people are trying to shove their undeserving friends in the list.
[/quote]

They're all subjective.

It's in the same way that people in MK and abroad who have come in contact with Ardus' or Archons would vote for them because they're more visible, while a smaller alliance member might very rightly feel one of their most active/progressive leaders is a legend of cybernations. Both are right, and usually people have a problem with accepting that.

That's all.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1323160262' post='2865548']
They're all subjective.

It's in the same way that people in MK and abroad who have come in contact with Ardus' or Archons would vote for them because they're more visible, while a smaller alliance member might very rightly feel one of their most active/progressive leaders is a legend of cybernations. Both are right, and usually people have a problem with accepting that.

That's all.
[/quote]

No, both are not right. Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking about CN greats. People who held power and used it in a way to shape and influence CN. The best of the best. People like Ivan, Archon, Roq, Delta, Xiph, ES, Doitzel... belong there. Not a bunch of guys who organised tech deals in a micro alliance and/or create a new alliance every other week.

[quote name='Archon' timestamp='1323168157' post='2865599']
Threads like these make me wish I had taken meticulous notes or ever written down my story. I imagine it would be an interesting read for many.
[/quote]

Nothing is stopping you from finishing [url="http://mushroom-kingdom.info/boards/index.php?topic=8248"]THE ONE YOU ALREADY STARTED[/url], grandpa

Threads like these make me wish I had taken meticulous notes or ever written down my story. I imagine it would be an interesting read for many.
[/quote]
This is why you have to act it out in public! Then in a few years you get widespread recognition for all you did which basically amounted to making lots of threads. You can keep the most epic, special details out, while still strutting your stuff for all the world to see. For instance, I remember this one time, Shantanamanman was completely drunk... :ehm:

In all seriousness I think it's more satisfying for people to laud all you've done when they've really only got a fraction of the picture. Things get far less interesting when there's no room for the imagination, and I don't think anyone would understand the crapshoot that you inherited as LUE's MoFA unless they were there (which was five years ago, by the way!). Those to whom the story is most interesting were probably there helping you write it even if they don't get their name mentioned repeatedly in threads like this. In fact they're probably still here and that's why you're posting!

On the other hand, setting it all straight leaves a lot less room for fan fiction. You should see the stuff ChairmanHal writes about me...

Best way to try to reach objectively the "legends of CN" would be to ask the new players of the last 6 months who they have heard or read about... For sure, there are internal legend for every bloc and alliance but it should remain the big characters, still active or not... Then it is historians buisness ;)

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1323119943' post='2864015']
I'm not sure how a discussion about the CN Legends can be "deeply personnal". Unless you mean that people are trying to shove their undeserving friends in the list.
[/quote]
I take it you haven't actually read this thread. :/

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1323165857' post='2865584']
No, both are not right. Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking about CN greats. People who held power and used it in a way to shape and influence CN. The best of the best. People like Ivan, Archon, Roq, Delta, Xiph, ES, Doitzel... belong there. Not a bunch of guys who organised tech deals in a micro alliance and/or create a new alliance every other week.
[/quote]

Why not?

I've always think people overstate their importance here.
In reality the OWF is a minority of the players of Cybernations, and even if you champion that this minority's actions affect those who rather not or just don't bother coming to it in game, the reality is the same: They don't care. Far more probably think of their alliance leader / good friend who set them up with a trade circle and got them some free cash as "Legends of Cybernations," more than people who did one or two things five years ago.

Why not recognize both?

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='Wilhelm the Demented' timestamp='1323241101' post='2867113']
I take it you haven't actually read this thread. :/
[/quote]

I take it you don't understand sarcasm.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1323247662' post='2867190']
Why not?

I've always think people overstate their importance here.
In reality the OWF is a minority of the players of Cybernations, and even if you champion that this minority's actions affect those who rather not or just don't bother coming to it in game, the reality is the same: They don't care. Far more probably think of their alliance leader / good friend who set them up with a trade circle and got them some free cash as "Legends of Cybernations," more than people who did one or two things five years ago.

Why not recognize both?
[/quote]

Because we are talking "Legends". Creating an alliance and/or organising tech deals doesn't make you a CN Legend. To take use a RL analogy (which I hate): just because I like Luol Deng (or Fernando Redondo) doesn't make him the equivalent of Michael Jordan (or Diego Maradona). A good player maybe but certainly not an Hall of Famer that should be remembered for what he has done for the ENTIRE game.
And yes, it's the active and efficient ones that have an impact. It's the same everywhere. I'm sorry it hurt your feelings and those of the inactive masses but those friends of theirs simply aren't Legends of CN by any definition. Other than some sort of logic that is as twisted as faulty.

Edited by potato

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1323178160' post='2865665']
This is why you have to act it out in public! Then in a few years you get widespread recognition for all you did which basically amounted to making lots of threads. You can keep the most epic, special details out, while still strutting your stuff for all the world to see. For instance, I remember this one time, Shantanamanman was completely drunk... :ehm: [/quote]
I have nightmares sometimes that one day DerekJones will return and post that log. Not a high point. <_<

[/quote]

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Edited by LJ Scott

lol imo Hrmmm is the opposite of a legend. without him and the rest of ODN making a separate peace when the war was pretty much like already won the NPO would not have survived the first great war

what a saint, keeping the alliance alive that had fought u for most of ur existence and pretty much wanted u exsterminated LOL