Legends of Cybernations

Joseph Black

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322456615' post='2854259']
No offense, and I mean this. I understand that there are reasons why you want these guys' names out there.

[i]But[/i], there are reasons why people don't name folks like Seerow, myself, Zhadum, Anthony, or TheBlitz in these kinds of lists. And it's because our accomplishments, while impactful in the communities we were in, simply weren't all that relevant on the larger stage, which is what this question of Legends is about.

So...meaningful? Yeah, sure. But Legends of CN?

Not by a long shot.
[/quote]

Completely and wholheartedly agreed. It's nice to nominate your friends and/or important players of your alliance(s) but most of those nominated recently certainly are not [b]legends of CN[/b]. No matter how you put it. Because the two key words you have to remember are "legend" and "CN". Which excludes all those "but they organised tech deals in my alliance!1!!" people.

Some of the names being thrown around itt suggested as being legends makes me sad about the quality of "people," we have.

The nature of the game makes staying power rare.

Legendary and infamy are not one in the same.

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1322440351' post='2854092']
I figured Ejay would at least get an honorable mention or something. So I'll say him. It would kind of be a good idea to do a "CN hall of fame" just for fun. :P
[/quote]

Here's an idea to elaborate on your idea some more...

[center][size=7][u]Cyber Nations Hall of Fame[/u][/size][/center]

[b][u]How nominations work:[/u] [/b]

Players may nominate any other player to be nominated into the Cyber Nations Hall of Fame by simply replying to the "Hall of Fame Nomination Thread" with:

[quote]"I nominate (insert nominees ruler name) for the Cyber Nations Hall of Fame" [/quote]

It is encouraged but not required to give a brief description as to why you believe your nominee should be accepted into the Hall of Fame.
Each player may only nominate up to two (2) individuals. Any nominations posted after your first two (2) nominations will be dismissed.
All nominations MUST be posted before the 1st day of December.

[b][u]The Board of Selectors:[/u][/b]

The Cyber Nations Hall of Fame Board of Selectors will be comprised of twelve (12) representatives, one (1) from each sanctioned alliance.

[b][u]The Voting Procedure:[/u] [/b]

On the 1st of December all nominees will be placed into a poll that is only to be accessible to the Board of Selectors. Each Selector will be given fifteen (15) votes. The poll must remain open until the 7th day of December.

The top fifteen (15) nominees that receive the most votes will then be placed in a new poll that shall remain open until the 15th day of December and each member of the Board of Selectors will be given ten (10) votes each. The top seven (7) nominees that receive then most votes in this poll will then be inducted into the Cyber Nations Hall of Fame.

Edited by Kronos

[quote name='Kronos' timestamp='1322497744' post='2854887']
Not that I don't believe you, but may I ask why you were so quick to shoot it down?
[/quote]

Historically, team efforts like that always fail in CN. Because some people don't care, because some people want to promote their agenda, because some people just want to ruin it for everyone else...

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1322477411' post='2854747']Some of the names being thrown around itt suggested as being legends makes me sad about the quality of "people," we have.

The nature of the game makes staying power rare.

Legendary and infamy are not one in the same.[/quote]
At least we know who is the myth of CN... :v:

[quote name='OrangeBeard' timestamp='1322506028' post='2854979']
I for one like it. We might as well try.

The date should be later though... maybe start it after this war is over?
[/quote]

The topic is too subjective. What is Electron sponge with out 404? It depends on your view point for who is what. This would turn into a popularity contest in current format.

For a hall of fame like this to work, it would have to have era time frames in which ALL notable members of that time were inducted. It's politics. With out one there can not be the other.

I think some other members nailed it on the head so far when they broke up their selections by time and alliance.

[quote name='ChimpMasterFlash' timestamp='1322517420' post='2855089']
The topic is too subjective. What is Electron sponge with out 404? It depends on your view point for who is what. This would turn into a popularity contest in current format.

For a hall of fame like this to work, it would have to have era time frames in which ALL notable members of that time were inducted. It's politics. With out one there can not be the other.

I think some other members nailed it on the head so far when they broke up their selections by time and alliance.
[/quote]
I absolutely get what you're saying, but if we did a vote of the most legendary players in CN, complete with bios who credit players such as 404 to Sponge, it may not be perfect, but it could work.

[quote name='Raider' timestamp='1322453516' post='2854233']
Let us not forget Unspeakable Evil for all his stat collection.

I remember when it was an honor to do the ASR and anyone would step in and do it (Even me. Twice!)

Depraved. Founder of GATO.
[/quote]

I also did it twice. It is an exhausting task.

[quote name='ChimpMasterFlash' timestamp='1322517420' post='2855089']

[/quote]
Sponge endured as a central figure in the course of CN history from the Great War Era right on through NoCB/WotC, making decisions, for better or worse, that reverberate to today. 404 was, by comparison, a flash in the pan who had the good sense to hook up with the Orders, lost the first major war GOONS got into without Pacifica's backing, and then quit.

If you're going to produce a list of "legends" it'd have to be extraordinarily short, restricted to those who played and personally impacted global politics across multiple eras of history. Ivan Moldavi, Sponge, Archon, Bilrow, and Grub are the first five names that come to mind. That'd probably be my first ballot.

Edited by Ardus

[quote name='OrangeBeard' timestamp='1322518378' post='2855101']
I absolutely get what you're saying, but if we did a vote of the most legendary players in CN, complete with bios who credit players such as 404 to Sponge, it may not be perfect, but it could work.
[/quote]

I'd be fascinated to see to read the bios

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322522783' post='2855133']
Sponge endured as a central figure in the course of CN history from the Great War Era right on through NoCB/WotC, making decisions, for better or worse, that reverberate to today. 404 was, by comparison, a flash in the pan who had the good sense to hook up with the Orders, lost the first major war GOONS got into without Pacifica's backing, and then quit.

If you're going to produce a list of "legends" it'd have to be extraordinarily short, restricted to those who played and personally impacted global politics across multiple eras of history. Ivan Moldavi, Sponge, Archon, Bilrow, and Grub are the first five names that come to mind. That'd probably be my first ballot.
[/quote]

I'm glad you see history so clearly. :smug:

[quote name='ChimpMasterFlash' timestamp='1322526322' post='2855175']
I'm glad you see history so clearly. :smug:
[/quote]
404 was notable in his time, but he just doesn't jump to the front of the line when I'm trying to come up with five players who've had a lasting impact. And it's not just personal distaste for the dude (I've traditionally not gotten along with four of the five people I pitched), I just don't think he rises to the same level of personally driven impact the other five players I listed have.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322536146' post='2855344']
404 was notable in his time, but he just doesn't jump to the front of the line when I'm trying to come up with five players who've had a lasting impact. And it's not just personal distaste for the dude (I've traditionally not gotten along with four of the five people I pitched), I just don't think he rises to the same level of personally driven impact the other five players I listed have.
[/quote]

You got a lil' focused into 404. He's an example of subjective view points.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322522783' post='2855133']
Ivan Moldavi, Sponge, Archon, Bilrow, and Grub are the first five names that come to mind. That'd probably be my first ballot.
[/quote]
Bilrow or Grub over Dilber?

:psy:

Edited by Feanor Noldorin

Threads like this just remind me how much generational and alliance lore shape perceptions. I mean Egore? Dude helped form, kill and reform a single alliance whose major accomplishments have been rooted in the works of others. 404, R and DV? They have all been gone for literally four years. Are they actual legends?

Real legends last multiple generations, have significant accomplishments which affected the game as a whole, and possess charismatic, larger than life personalities. Apply those criteria and who do you get? A select few.

Who do I think those select few are? Hands down: Ivan, Tyga, Dilber, Sponge, Grub, Crymson, Ardus, Archon and Doitzel. More debatable: Moo-Cows, Vladimir, Denial/Revanche, mpol, Roquentin, Xiphosis, Delta1212, and a lot of the leadership from the last generation or two.

Edited by Fallen Fool