What is the History of Cyber Nations?

TerryTheCollosus

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1321891472' post='2848138']
The problem is that those things never get completed, as we normally get bored with it after Karma.
[/quote]
Agreed. I usually succumb to a short attention span and... uh... what were we talking about?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[i]I am speaking only for myself and offering my perspective on an influential phase of CN history.
From the NONE archives:[/i]

I have been playing Cyber Nations since June of 2006 and was in the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization from the beginning, holding military positions including Platoon Commander, Assistant Minister of Defense, Chief of Staff and was elected Minister of Defense four times.

[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/w_r_alford/old-man-kitteh3.jpg[/img]

I held that position when the then largest alliance in the game was sneak-attacked by the New Pacific Order, thus touching off the Third Great War in the Spring of 2007. GATO surrendered and part of the terms was that I would no longer be permitted to hold any office in that alliance. I also was not to have Moderator powers. I got word that GATO would be attacked even if I were caught offering advice, so I quit the alliance and founded NONE.

Here is some background on how NONE was received:
[url]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=69123&view=findpost&p=1904240[/url]

We tried different ways to adapt, including breaking up into squads, each of which had a dozen or so members and having different alliance affiliations. We then invited other non-partisan groups to join us and formed the League of Free nations in early 2008.

An alliance called Viridian Entente attacked one of these squads right after it had been attacked by another alliance 20 times its size. I called them on it and was designated Permanent ZI for speaking the truth as I saw it. I pointed this out to compare their character to that of the small group of nations they were attacking w/o cause.

Some background here:
[url]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=16414[/url]

I deleted my 2 1/2-year-old nation and figured that was that. I created a new nation with a new identity and continued as Admin of the League of Free Nations. Then some enemies infiltrated our forums and took screen-caps of my posts to demonstrate that although I had taken on a new persona, I was still the same user. That is by definition an out-of-character [OOC] attack with the intent of driving a user, rather than a character, from the game and punishing anyone who associated with him.

So a coalition of alliances formed and attacked all of our squads and all of the alliances that had registered in the message board.

Some background here:
[url]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=24024[/url]
The aggressors were asked repeatedly why hundreds of nations should be hounded from the game for merely associating with me and why I was essentially designated EZI. The only answer was basically, "he just is and we don't need to explain."

Start reading here and watch the discussion back and forth:
[url]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=24024&st=115[/url]

This exchange is typical:
[quote=Morgaine]...from what I understand, the punishment was that his nation would be kept at zero infrastructure and anyone who gave financial aid to him would be in effect committing an act of war against your alliance. Your government posted a declaration saying so.

Now we are seeing some sort of implication that anyone who has anything to do with him after he deleted his nation is committing an act of war. Where is this declaration? Also, where is the declaration that NONE was an illegal organization? Where is it declared that the former members of NONE may not associate with each other and how do you presume to tell people who they can associate with?[/quote]
[quote=Scott Adams]...if you don't know why NONE is illegal, then you're a fool. Walford = hated and on at least seven perma-ZI lists. NONE was his creation, evolved from that which was the stupidity of CNARF. CNARF was hated and attack, as was NONE. People don't like them, people don't like Walford, and if you bother to read anything about CN history, you'll realize this very fact.

Simply put, ignorance of history is bound to come and bit you not only in the $@!, but also punch you in the face. It's not anyone's fault that a group parading around as the new NONE has no clue about history.[/quote]
[quote=Morgaine]So there was no declaration beyond aiding walford's nation, then. I know that those who beat and rob non-aligned nations are not happy when they organize and walford was hated for doing that very thing.

But I am asking for a link stating that having anything to do with walford after he deleted his nation is an act of war. I am asking for a link to the thread stating that the former members of NONE are not allowed to associate with each other. I am asking how it is that you or anyone else can think you can tell other people who they can associate with.[/quote]
[quote=Scott Adams]You don't understand CN politics, let alone politics in general, do you?

No link need be provided, but there are those that have made declarations. You've admitted to associate if not ally with the evil known as Walford, and you've failed yourselves in that right. Otherwise, just lay down your arms and surrender to logic.[/quote]And on and on it went.

The reason for the war was that some nations were not playing the alliance game so they were told that they will either toe the line or be driven off. They chose the latter.

[i]I had since gone underground and returned openly as myself early this year. I belonged to a small alliance called Celestial Being that was asked to fight alongside Viridian Entente against the New Polar Order. I immediately resigned and asked to join NpO so I could do what little I could to help. I have been there ever since, keeping quiet and doing my part.[/i]

Edited by Walford

I could try but all I would be able to come up with is probably things like "NPO EBIL. WE ATTACK IN KARMA" and "SOMETHING SOME THING BIPOLAR. Where, uh, POlar was being Bipolar and bipolared all over my infra and it was sad day for everybody." My memory is truly heinous. :(

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322010400' post='2849371']
Walford is (a) still around and (b) in NpO?

Gotta be honest, that actually makes a lot of sense.[/quote]If I had time, I'd start another project, but personal responsibilities will not allow that in the foreseeable future. Besides, the political climate has deteriorated even more than the last time I paid attention. And the total number of nations has shrunk to almost the number of non-aligned there were at the beginning of GW3 4 1/2 years ago.

I remember being a Platoon Commander at GATO 5 years ago and finding myself facing non-aligned who would take us on alone or in groups that would pop up out of nowhere. There would be alliances of only 5 nations that would attack us and then suddenly swell in numbers from the ranks of the non-aligned as we struggled to cope with the onslaught. Then they would slip back into obscurity again. I handed out a lot of decorations to very small nations that stepped up -- often in their first fights ever -- and gave their all for comrades they hardly knew -- if at all. One nation (run by a woman, incidentally) came to the aid of a bank that was being attacked by a formidable non-aligned aggressor. She deliberately taunted the aggressor so his attentions were directed at her and away from the bank. She was very successful as the bank was spared and her own nation was utterly devastated.

It was exciting and challenging.

The political climate was rich and varied as diplomacy counted for more and war was a risk, rather than the entire point of being on Planet Bob. In GW1, we had a Papal Schism! The dialog in those days was fantastic.

And what remains of the non-aligned is nothing like it once was; a collection of independent nations in varying degrees of involvement who were largely left alone unless they started something. Now they are constantly under siege. I could only imagine their mentality these days. Poor devils.

Well, the rest of us have suffered as well. It is very hard to get and keep trades and an entire class of nation rulers have been driven from Planet Bob forever. There were a lot more of the independent-minded as well as more older and female nation rulers who would not be interested in yet another war-oriented culture more suitable for male adolescent sociopaths and nihilists.

But those of you who've been around long enough have heard me warn of this before.

And so it has come to pass. We are experiencing a world in which the powers of might-makes-right were victorious over civilization and democracy. They then predictably turned on each other in a series of devastating wars as the predators finished each other off and were replaced by scavengers squabbling over a landscape of rubble, bones and ashes.

Have a nice day! :)

[quote name='dcrews20' timestamp='1322029363' post='2849588']
Cool then you can tell me the story of Bi-Polar from NpO's perspective. Care to share :3? The conflict seems to be the source of a lot of hate. A POW from one of NpO's members would be greatly appreciated
[/quote]
I think the original rationale behind the whole thing was that we were under obligation to defend our allies, even if our allies were on different sides. So it resulted in a very confusing, essentially three-sided war. Can't remember the details now really but I recall a lot of confusion and anger on the part of many members in Polar. It doesn't help that I myself was ordered to attack one side and then ended up taking hits from another bloc entirely. Not good times for Cadia.

[quote name='lordliam' timestamp='1322092038' post='2850060']
I think the original rationale behind the whole thing was that we were under obligation to defend our allies, even if our allies were on different sides. So it resulted in a very confusing, essentially three-sided war. Can't remember the details now really but I recall a lot of confusion and anger on the part of many members in Polar. It doesn't help that I myself was ordered to attack one side and then ended up taking hits from another bloc entirely. Not good times for Cadia.
[/quote]
The New Polar Order declared, got TOP/IRON/STA and NSO and its friends involved. Then cut its losses and changed sides midconflict, leaving all of the people that went in with them out to dry. And Im pretty sure it got started over Grub crying the victim over some IRC shenanigans, it was kind of lame.

That being said, BiPolar is probably the single biggest backstab in CN history. There were no "three sides", just two, and the Polars rather happily threw their allies under the bus. It's honestly no wonder that no one trusts that alliance , except for the folks that can't do any better.

Edited by TehChron

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322165051' post='2850569']
The New Polar Order declared, got TOP/IRON/STA and NSO and its friends involved. Then cut its losses and changed sides midconflict, leaving all of the people that went in with them out to dry. And Im pretty sure it got started over Grub crying the victim over some IRC shenanigans, it was kind of lame.

That being said, BiPolar is probably the single biggest backstab in CN history. There were no "three sides", just two, and the Polars rather happily threw their allies under the bus. It's honestly no wonder that no one trusts that alliance , except for the folks that can't do any better.
[/quote]

It got started over an \m/ member calling Grub a racial slur in IRC, combined with \m/'s string of general ill will towards the game in general and a complete lack of control of its members by the government.

I was in \m/ during the whole ordeal, and really we deserved it. The horrible response on part of our government to one of its members going out of his way to be a belligerent asshat was half the reason I left in the first place.

The war exploding into the cluster**** it turned into was no fault of ours, nor of NpO's, and I'm still rather unsure as to why people continue to blame them for such. They ended the conflict with us because the conflict was over, the rest of the wars that started as a result wasn't their problem.

Edited by AzureShadow

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322176915' post='2850663']
It got started over an \m/ member calling Grub a racial slur in IRC, combined with \m/'s string of general ill will towards the game in general and a complete lack of control of its members by the government.

I was in \m/ during the whole ordeal, and really we deserved it. The horrible response on part of our government to one of its members going out of his way to be a belligerent asshat was half the reason I left in the first place.

The war exploding into the cluster**** [b]it turned into was no fault of ours, nor of NpO's[/b], and I'm still rather unsure as to why people continue to blame them for such. They ended the conflict with us because the conflict was over, the rest of the wars that started as a result wasn't their problem.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Grub not only arrayed the coalition personally when he declared on \m/, but I'm relatively sure that the only alliance to change sides mid-conflict in that particular war (and any war, iirc) was the New Polar Order.

That was totally their fault. They carried out the action entirely of their own volition. And your alliance government intentionally provoked him, thinking they could get away with it.

You might have a case if Grub ended it completely after peacing out with \m/. No one would have had a problem. The issue comes from the fact that the New Polar Order [i]intentionally took that war and used it as an opportunity to screw over the entire coalition they had assembled, including direct allies.[/i] Additionally, what other wars werent their problem? It was all the same war.

*shakes his head*

And all I need to do is look at your AA to prove my point about the only people giving the NpO any leeway are the ones who can't do any better. Sheesh man, either you're being horribly disingenuous or just have no idea what you're talking about. Either way you're trying to present a view of events wholly divorced from reality.

Edited by TehChron

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322187074' post='2850748']

I'm sorry. Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Grub not only arrayed the coalition personally when he declared on \m/, but I'm relatively sure that the only alliance to change sides mid-conflict in that particular war (and any war, iirc) was the New Polar Order.

That was totally their fault. They carried out the action entirely of their own volition. And your alliance government intentionally provoked him, thinking they could get away with it.

You might have a case if Grub ended it completely after peacing out with \m/. No one would have had a problem. The issue comes from the fact that the New Polar Order [i]intentionally took that war and used it as an opportunity to screw over the entire coalition they had assembled, including direct allies.[/i] Additionally, what other wars werent their problem? It was all the same war.

*shakes his head*

And all I need to do is look at your AA to prove my point about the only people giving the NpO any leeway are the ones who can't do any better. Sheesh man, either you're being horribly disingenuous or just have no idea what you're talking about. Either way you're trying to present a view of events wholly divorced from reality.
[/quote]

I think you're the one being disingenuous by trying to claim that Polar intentionally screwed over their allies. Their allies screwed themselves over quite nicely by turning that war into something a lot larger than the original intent of the war was.

NpO made it quite clear to \m/ in negotiations for the blanket white peace that they did not want the war to escalate any farther than the conflict between our two alliances. Trying to make it appear otherwise is foolish and, quite frankly, wrong. I won't claim to know what the ultimate desires of Grub or anyone else in NpO were during that war, but I do know for a fact that the war started between us with the intent of them trying to teach \m/ and friends a lesson and vice versa and the expanded conflict that started as a result had motives by the offending parties for completely different reasons.

EDIT: And, for the record, I'm in no way trying to stick up for Almighty Grub or NpO in general. I still harbor quite a bit of resentment for him from how much of a prat he was during that whole deal. But I'm also not going to let blatant falsehoods such as what you're trying to pass as the correct version of history go unobjected either. Unfortunately my account on the \m/ forums no longer exists or I'd go dig up the discussion we had about this very topic.

Edited by AzureShadow

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322195012' post='2850802']
I think you're the one being disingenuous by trying to claim that Polar intentionally screwed over their allies. Their allies screwed themselves over quite nicely by turning that war into something a lot larger than the original intent of the war was.[/quote]Hello. I am in the NSO.

I was in the NSO when the New Polar Order peaced out with you, then redeclared against TOP and didnt even bother to let us, their MDP partners, know about this grand master plan ahead of time. What leg do you have to stand on again?

[quote][b]NpO made it quite clear to \m/ in negotiations for the blanket white peace that they did not want the war to escalate any farther than the conflict between our two alliances. [/b]Trying to make it appear otherwise is foolish and, quite frankly, wrong. I won't claim to know what the ultimate desires of Grub or anyone else in NpO were during that war, but I do know for a fact that the war started between us with the intent of them trying to teach \m/ and friends a lesson and vice versa and the expanded conflict that started as a result had motives by the offending parties for completely different reasons.[/quote]Um.

Then Grub lied.

Shocker. Grub expanded it by inviting TOP and Co to the party, via their chains with us at the time (I know what Im talking about? Wild I know)

[quote]EDIT: And, for the record, I'm in no way trying to stick up for Almighty Grub or NpO in general. I still harbor quite a bit of resentment for him from how much of a prat he was during that whole deal. But I'm also not going to let blatant falsehoods such as what you're trying to pass as the correct version of history go unobjected either. Unfortunately my account on the \m/ forums no longer exists or I'd go dig up the discussion we had about this very topic.
[/quote]Name one falsehood I've stated, rather than you "knowing" or "assuming" or "not thinking".

Before you go spouting hyperbole, at least make sure that [i]you have some of the facts on your side first[/i]. You may believe that you recall events correctly. You may not think you're misrepresenting what happened.

But the fact is just...simply...that you're wrong. Oh well. And this is your weekly history lesson, courtesy of TehChron.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1321631684' post='2846309']
A number of alliances hailing from [i]what is apparently STILL censored on these boards in a totally childish manner[/i] discovered CN and invaded.
[/quote]
Yeah it is ludicrous that word filter is still place regarding the mentioning of the 'other game', hell it is not as if that other game would be able to threaten CN in terms of poaching players and so on. Come on Moderation is it not about time we where able to type the name of a game which via the likes of the NPO, Legion and ODN contributed a lot to CN's early days.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322206801' post='2850907']
Hello. I am in the NSO.

I was in the NSO when the New Polar Order peaced out with you, then redeclared against TOP and didnt even bother to let us, their MDP partners, know about this grand master plan ahead of time. What leg do you have to stand on again?

Um.

Then Grub lied.

Shocker. Grub expanded it by inviting TOP and Co to the party, via their chains with us at the time (I know what Im talking about? Wild I know)

Name one falsehood I've stated, rather than you "knowing" or "assuming" or "not thinking".

Before you go spouting hyperbole, at least make sure that [i]you have some of the facts on your side first[/i]. You may believe that you recall events correctly. You may not think you're misrepresenting what happened.

But the fact is just...simply...that you're wrong. Oh well. And this is your weekly history lesson, courtesy of TehChron.
[/quote]

It sounds more to me like there was a serious miscommunication issue between you and your allies, rather than an actual "master plan" on their part. That's not something to be ashamed of or anything, it happens between alliances all the time.

Is it possible Grub lied? Of course. It's also possible that you're the one making reaching assumptions about NpO's intentions when the far simpler explanation is just a serious issue with lack of communications. Hell, we in \m/ probably had better communication with NpO during the war while we were fighting them than you did at the time, going by what you're telling me.

Regardless, this discussion has no place in this thread, and it's been derailed long enough.

[quote name='Cataduanes' timestamp='1322210174' post='2850927']
Yeah it is ludicrous that word filter is still place regarding the mentioning of the 'other game', hell it is not as if that other game would be able to threaten CN in terms of poaching players and so on. Come on Moderation is it not about time we where able to type the name of a game which via the likes of the NPO, Legion and ODN contributed a lot to CN's early days.
[/quote]

Does moderation still aggressively ban people that say things that could be interpreted as criticism of them? I have a couple ideas about that, but don't want it to get taken the wrong way and get forum banned because I pissed someone off. But, for sure, that game is a lot of what caused CN to be as popular as it was and is from its inception.

Edited by AzureShadow

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322224862' post='2850960']
It sounds more to me like there was a serious miscommunication issue between you and your allies, rather than an actual "master plan" on their part. That's not something to be ashamed of or anything, it happens between alliances all the time.[/quote]

Wait.

Wait.

[i]Wait.[/i]

The New Polar Order doesn't tell [i]anyone of their involved allies of their intent to peace out, including ourselves and STA and somehow the error lies with the people who were intentionally left in the dark?[/i]

My god. It all makes sense now. Thank you, [i]so much[/i], for opening my eyes. Grub! Can you ever forgive me? :unsure:

[quote]Is it possible Grub lied? Of course. It's also possible that you're the one making reaching assumptions about NpO's intentions when the far simpler explanation is just a serious issue with lack of communications. Hell, we in \m/ probably had better communication with NpO during the war while we were fighting them than you did at the time, going by what you're telling me.
[/quote]Um. Yes, actually. The NpO kept people not fighting alongside them more abreast of the situation than those that they dragged into their coalition alongside them.

It's like you're beginning to grasp the problem here, but refusing to reach the conclusion that the facts of the situation lead to.
[quote]Regardless, this discussion has no place in this thread, and it's been derailed long enough.[/quote]The OP is a question requesting a detailing of the history of CN.

We are discussing two competing views of an event in CN's history. One is correct, and one is stupendously false. Since the OP wants to know about CNs history, surprisingly enough, me correcting your misrepresentations is entirely on topic. Honestly.

Lately Im thinking you Legionarres are trying to rip off my playbook and are failing spectacularly at it. But mere imitation will only get you so far.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322231957' post='2850988']
Wait.

Wait.

[i]Wait.[/i]

The New Polar Order doesn't tell [i]anyone of their involved allies of their intent to peace out, including ourselves and STA and somehow the error lies with the people who were intentionally left in the dark?[/i]

My god. It all makes sense now. Thank you, [i]so much[/i], for opening my eyes. Grub! Can you ever forgive me? :unsure:

Um. Yes, actually. The NpO kept people not fighting alongside them more abreast of the situation than those that they dragged into their coalition alongside them.

It's like you're beginning to grasp the problem here, but refusing to reach the conclusion that the facts of the situation lead to.
The OP is a question requesting a detailing of the history of CN.

We are discussing two competing views of an event in CN's history. One is correct, and one is stupendously false. Since the OP wants to know about CNs history, surprisingly enough, me correcting your misrepresentations is entirely on topic. Honestly.

Lately Im thinking you Legionarres are trying to rip off my playbook and are failing spectacularly at it. But mere imitation will only get you so far.
[/quote]

It seems like the only actual disagreement we have here is that you think them screwing you was intentional, while I think it was not. Apart from your vigorous anti-Legion epeen stroking, of course, which has nothing to do with this thread or our discussion whatsoever, as I'm arguing entirely from my point of view from \m/.

I'll echo the sentiments of dcrews20 and say that having Grub or another high-up in Polar comment on this would be nice to clear up whatever misunderstanding most of the world still seems to have on this issue.

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322236676' post='2851011']
It seems like the only actual disagreement we have here is that you think them screwing you was intentional, while I think it was not. Apart from your vigorous anti-Legion epeen stroking, of course, which has nothing to do with this thread or our discussion whatsoever, as I'm arguing entirely from my point of view from \m/.

I'll echo the sentiments of dcrews20 and say that having Grub or another high-up in Polar comment on this would be nice to clear up whatever misunderstanding most of the world still seems to have on this issue.
[/quote]
Well, to be fair, given the circumstances, I find it fairly difficult to figure out how they could have done so on accident, when everything they did at that time was entirely deliberate.

Well, Im sure if you were to actually look it up on the threads from back then, you'd find numerous gems of Polar members blaming us for it, due to some nonsense about our insufferable egos being why we deserved to be left hanging. Oh well.

But since it's Grub, I can't imagine hed deny it.

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322236676' post='2851011']
[/quote]

Why should they waste their time? They've already been forced to discuss this in just about every thread concerning Polar since the war.

[quote name='Harry Dresden' timestamp='1322238226' post='2851015']
This is the history of CN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRZgTypUbE And shame on you all for none of you having posted it.
[/quote]
Oh contraire
[quote name='Vladimir Stukov II' timestamp='1321585107' post='2846130']
Watch this for the history up to GW1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRZgTypUbE
[/quote]

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1321830725' post='2847655']
[spoiler]
[center][u][b]The Totally Biased and Flippant History of CyberNations, Abridged[/b][/u][/center]

[b]Pt. 1 - The Ancient Era[/b]

CN kicked into existence way back in early 2006. A couple of alliances formed right away, one being the democratic GATO, the other being utterly irrelevant to the rest of history. They fought a "war." GATO, which has discovered the secret to eternal life, went on. The other petered off.

A number of alliances hailing from [i]what is apparently STILL censored on these boards in a totally childish manner[/i] discovered CN and invaded. The first was the Greenland Republic, later known as the National Alliance of Arctic Countries. The largest group, the New Pacific Order, quickly became the dominant power in CN. Others and rivals, such as the Orange Defense Network and The Legion, also formed up with numerous members. The alliances scattered to the different color spheres: NPO to red, NAAC to blue, ODN to orange, The Legion to purple, and GATO to brown, each establishing their exclusive dominance on their respective spheres.

Treaties began to form. The first NAP and later MDP took hold between NPO and GATO. Emboldened by numbers, its treaty, savage NAAC insults, and led by its audacious leader Emperor Ivan Moldavi, the NPO launched the first "midnight blitz" and crippled the NAAC in the First Polar War in Feb. 2006. The NAAC submitted to the Emperor until he mercifully released him from his rule. NPO next launched into the ODN on Feb. 25. While the NPO would again win with an effective and coordinated war effort, the ODN established the first "guerrilla war." Lasting 47 days, The Citrus War would hold the title of "longest war" until 2007. NPO continued the warpath against the first ideological alliance, the communist ICSN, after discovering a spy in their midsts. The affair lasted all of three days in April 2006.

The first counterbalance began to coalesce in May, when the LUEnited Nations forged its first treaty with the ODN and, shortly thereafter, the first MDP Bloc with ODN, the Grand Global Alliance, and UCS, whom you've never heard of. The established powers reacted quickly, nearly forming their own bloc of NPO, NAAC, GATO, and Legion, but GATO ruined it and their MoD Chris Kaos pissed off NPO. He'd spend the next umpteen years of CN history being very good at that. With Plan A scrapped, NPO somehow got into the Independence Council, got everybody worked up at one another, and the bloc fell apart before the end of the month. Nonetheless, the concept of blocs was born, a decision modern scholars still regret.

Remember when bros, current Castellan of the Mushroom Kingdom and admin of countless CN alliance forums, led LUE? Remember when he tried to get NPO and GATO into a war with one another? Remember when Iforget2 of LUE became the first nuclear rogue? Chances are you don't. I wasn't around either. I assure you it was all hilarious.

Some NAAC members lost their nerve and leaked to NPO that the NAAC leader, Arctic, had a spy in the Order. NPO, Legion, and GATO ruined NAAC's day again. In the wake of the Second Polar War, Emperor Moldavi established the New Polar Order to stabilize blue and sap power from their blue team rival. The NpO and NAAC rivalry would be the most heated in CN until the dissolution of the latter. If you ever want details, don't hesitate to ask Polaris to show you their scars; they'll happily do so. Anyway, GATO thought this was ridiculous and cut off relations with NPO. The two alliances would do nothing but hate each other for the years following.

LUE continued its diplomatic campaign in June, signing an MDP with the powerful GATO. Then LUE discovered an NPO spy in their ranks and cut off relations. Yardovich, one of the LUE co-leaders and utterly unamused by all this, decided to post a ridiculously graphic sex story involving officials of the NPO. The Order was pissed, demanded an apology, and deemed the resultant apology unacceptable. GATO tried to cancel their new MDP, but the Emperor of the NpO, Tygaland, went and nuked LUE. NPO attacked soon after. LUE activated the GATO treaty, along with its many others, and so in July 2006 began the First Great War. Sensing a chance to bring down the giant that had run roughshod over CN since its inception, damn near every alliance hopped on the Order-beatin' bandwagon. As the war ground to "a stalemate", the Legion shocked everybody and struck their former friends in NPO for a couple days, crippling the previously untouchable Pacifican upper-ranks. Finished, the NPO submitted to peace with the CoaLUEtion. Tyga resigned as Emperor of NpO, replaced by Electron Sponge, and Moldavi later resigned as Emperor of NPO, replaced by Dilber. The tradition of "if you lose, you're out" in Order Emperors continues to this day.

And so the storylines and rivalries that would drive CN for the rest of time were set. NPO was defeated and hungry for revenge against all those who had risen up against it. The Legion did something incredibly opportunistic. GATO tried to cancel a treaty to dodge a war, but wasn't fast enough. But most importantly, LUE demonstrated that treaties trumped individual alliance strength. Frankly we all hate this fact, but have learned to live with it, more or less.
[/spoiler]

[center][u][b]The Totally Biased and Flippant History of CyberNations, Abridged[/b][/u][/center]

[b]Part the Second - The Great War Era[/b]

The era running from Aug. 1, 2006 to Sept. 23, 2007, the end of the First Great War to the end of the Unjust War, remains a treasure trove of lessons and motivations that define players and leaders in CN to this day. The first and foremost lesson learned would be "Pacifica doesn't forgive and Pacifica doesn't forget," a lesson that now must be aggressively ignored in order to provide the Order a chance to be relevant in the modern day. The second, and more universally applicable, would be "dithering over moralist concerns will get your ass killed." The third and most universally accepted lesson is, of course, "your bloc will never be as good as the Initiative." Shall we dive into some history?

With the NPO defeated, the world fell into the horrors of peace. The LUEnited Nations redoubled its diplomatic efforts, working to maintain the miraculous coalition that had led to its wartime victory. The NPO rapidly rebuilt, surpassing its pre-war strength within a month. Many new alliances formed in the wake of the fight: the Goon Order of Neutral Shoving, the Viridian Entente, the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, the International Communist Party, and the Coalition of Dark States, /b/, the Federation of Armed Nations, Nordreich, and the Confederacy of Independent States, to name more than a few. Granted, a number of them formed before the war, but did not rise to prominence until afterwards.

The NPO, led by its more diplomatically-oriented Emperor Dilber (Sept. 30, 2006), worked to gather the new alliances to its cause. Radio silence on the OWF granted the Order's enemies ample opportunity to make asses of themselves in public, drunk on victory, while its post-war economic performance appealed to those looking for advice and skill out of allies. But NPO's first diplomatic coup came not through new faces, but through old. The Grand Global Alliance, led by the rabidly anti-Pacifican ProdigalChieftain, suddenly coup'd its leader and installed a new triumvirate (ALdbeign, Kevin the Great, Bilrow) in his place. The Order seized the opportunity, buried the hatchet, and secured an MDP with the new GGA. The Orders next secured GOONS (led by [i]GLORIOUS CENSORSHIP[/i]), forming the "Axis of Awesome" alliance with the rapidly ascendant Black-team power. The Viridian Entente, a small Green Team duchy under the command of Egore, would next align with the Order, under heavy criticism from the CoaLUEtion alliances. All the while, plenty of drama ensured there would be no reconciliation between the Orders and the CoaLUEtion.

On the side, color politics grew important. Previously wrecked by the unpredictable ProdigalChieftain, the Green Team stabilized under the tenuous coexistence of GGA, VE, CIS, /b/, and the neutral juggernaut GPA. Meanwhile, the insular Maroon Team developed into a rich ground for ideological conflicts between the ICP and NOR. All who participated look back on these times fondly as an era when people could justifiably get worked up over something as simple as a sanction. Though, it should be noted, that looking up alliances was not nearly as easy as it is today, so achieving a sanction (then limited to the largest alliance on each color sphere) was an extraordinary advantage.

Perhaps the most heinous development of the period was the "For the Love of God, Think of the Children!" Convention. Aimed at restricting the outbreak of global radiation and utter destruction that defined the First Great War, the victorious powers launched into a campaign of limiting the use of nuclear weapons, restricting signatories from using them until such were used against them. The convention quickly attained universal support and acclaim, securing allies in both the CoaLUEtion and the Axis of Awesome. Adherence to the convention would prove deadly for the CoaLUEtion.

The resurgence of the NPO reached its finished stage with the development of the World Unity Treaty (WUT), commonly referred to as "The Initiative." The bloc, consisting of NPO, NpO, GOONS, FAN, VE, GGA, CIS, TOP, and \m/, merged the Axis of Awesome (NPO, NpO, GOONS), the Triple Entente (VE, GGA, CIS), and alliances connected to one of the two organizations into a single, highly cohesive, MADP unit. The bloc was the first of its scale and, while ridiculed for including numerous then-small alliances, triggered an immediate response from the NPO's enemies in the CoaLUEtion. The victorious powers, who had dithered on forming a mega-bloc of their own for months, sprung into action and quickly created the League of Extraordinary Alliances, aka "The League", a multilateral MDP consisting of LUE, GATO, NAAC, LOSS, ICP, CDS, GOLD, and ACID. Though other blocs would also form in the period (GUARD: ONOS, NADC, CSN, TTK, TCF, USN) (Northern Defense Front: NOR, MDC, and a pile of others), the intense rivalry between The Initiative and The League collected the majority CN's alligned strength and clearly bifurcated the world. An alliance was with one, the other, or designated a neutral.

[b][i]TBC via edit later on; off to dinner[/i][/b]
[/quote]

[b][i]I lied about updating via edit[/i][/b]

The stage was set and both power spheres sought out grounds for initiating conflict. Those grounds arrived alongside the creation of Farkistan. LUE and FARK quickly reached a tentative agreement to sign an MDP, but before the treaty could be presented publicly, GOONS, citing the historic hostility between users of Something Awful and Fark, launched a full scale assault, followed soon thereafter by statements of support from the rest of The Initiative. WUT members immediately noted that no treaty yet existed between LUE and FARK, and thus the LUEnited Nations had no business interfering in the GOONS assault, the first active invocation of "if you have no treaty, you can't help them out," an utterly idiotic doctrine that persists to this day. LUE rejected the assertion, gathered The League, launched its counter-offensive, and announced the LUE-FARK treaty. So began the Second Great War on January 9, 2007.

It cannot be overstated how uncertain the outcome of the war appeared at its beginning. First, most of the alliances in The Initiative had never engaged in major warfare, so many questioned whether they'd have the organization to sustain a global conflict. Second, the statistics of the two blocs were extraordinarily close, a statistical dead-heat in all but one metric. Third, the League held a substantial advantage in nuclear arms, but had tied itself up with FTLOGTOTC; nobody knew whether or not The League (and specifically NAAC, who was most heavily armed) would break the treaty and launch. Finally, it was unclear whether The Legion and ODN (tightly connected and jointly referred to as "Orple") would enter in support of The League, to whom they were connected by MDP, and who would be enough to tip the statistical balance heavily in favor of The League.

The war lasted a week and answered all four questions to the favor of The Initiative. First, the possible inexperience of non-Order WUT alliances was minimized by The League's decision to focus its firepower on the NPO, who effectively tanked for its entirely coalition. This freed up the other alliances to attack at their own leisure. Of great surprise to the League was the hyper-organized and military oriented TOP and FAN, who chopped the sluggish GATO to bits. Second, The League never utilized its superior nuclear stockpile, hoping instead that The Initiative would use their own first and thus press Orple into the war alongside them. While nukes launched from a handful of WUT nations, each one was systemically ejected and branded a rogue in order to prevent proliferation. This decision had the intended dual effect: Orple stayed out and The League never used the weapons, trying to achieve an Orple entry to the end.

The statistical balance gave way to poor strategic decisions by The League and, ultimately, instability in GATO. On January 14, 2007, the GATO Minister of Foreign Affairs, BenPG, announced GATO's surrender, much to the surprise of its allies. GATO immediately declared the surrender void, as the General Assembly hadn't voted on it, but the confusion was enough to deplete morale among The League and its allies. Surrenders from peripherals groups began to pile on. The majority of The League surrendered soon after that day and the following while LUE, unable to secure peace, departed the bloc and canceled/suspended its various MDPs, suffering the meatgrinder until February 4, 2007. Farkistan, now without allied support, would wage CN's first prolonged guerrilla campaign alone until June 10, 2007, when it would accept a GOONS viceroyalty. Fark numbers, which had peaked over a thousand, declined due to attrition and the splinter group TotalFarkistan, which enjoyed GOONS approval and would later merge with COLD to form The Phoenix Federation.

Though the bulk of the war had lasted only a week, much to the disappointment of many, it effectively set the stage for what would follow: Great War III and the dominance of WUT. The League disbanded after the conflict while members of The Initiative flaunted its victory to secure new allies in small and upcoming alliances, all the while preparing for the next round in its mission to crush "South Web" (casually referred to due to its bottom-oriented position on treaty charts that existed at the time). NoR and the Maroon Defense Coalition joined WUT. Dilber, who'd led the NPO from ruin to glory, stepped down as Emperor and appointed TrotskysRevenge. To this day, he remains the only Emperor of an Order to step down after a military victory.

Amid the adjustments, three events stoked tensions in the short peace: (1) IRON called out LUE for trolling NPO on 4chan, (2) VE and /b/ learned to viciously hate one another while racing to secure a Green Team sanction, and most importantly (3) Legion leaked a chat between its MoFA Sir Galahad and GATO's Assembly Chariman Vincent Xander, wherein the latter campaigned for a new organized opposition to the NPO and WUT. After another short spat between NoR and the commies, the NPO cited the logs and evidence of spying as [i]casus belli[/i] and (along with GGA, \m/, and MDC) declared war on GATO, initiating the Third Great War on March 19, 2007.

Once again The Initiative's knack for launching wars before treaties could be signed or canceled played a role, as the assault landed just before The Legion could successfully cancel its treaty with GATO. After a then unusual delay of 2 days, GATO's allies launched their counter-assault under the coalition banner of "AEGIS," derisively referred to as "WAEGIS" in what remains the most clever subversion of a coalition name ever. NAAC again fought its hated neighbor the NpO, Legion made the error of declaring war on the entire damn Initiative, and to the surprise of everybody /b/ broke it's neutrality to declare war (alongside LoSS) on VE. This author, then Minister of Defense for the Entente, took the opportunity to declare that no peace would ever be accepted between VE and /b/. I assure you it felt [b]great[/b]. Oh, and the crippled LUEnited Nations renounced its GWII surrender to get in the fray with its old friends, despite holding no treaties.

While the statistics favored The Initiative from the outset, few expected the lopsided outcome that occurred. Once again, this time campaigning for the unconnected IRON and the most neutral of neutrals in GPA and facing an atomically equal Initiative, AEGIS held back on the use of nuclear weapons. Once again, TOP and FAN teamed up to utterly annihilate a major alliance, this time thrashing the larger Legion with some financial help from the rest of WUT. Once again, chaos from an AEGIS ally shattered what morale remained and triggered an avalanche of surrenders: /b/ launched an all-out attack on the forums on March 30 and disbanded, triggering unilateral cease-fires from a number of AEGIS alliances. As one would expect, those cease-fires were ignored by those winning the war.

The war ended on April 14, 2007 with The Initiative the unquestioned ruler of CN. GOONS managed to boot its Black Team neighbors LoSS and CDS off the sphere to the Pink Team. LUE and NAAC both disbanded. Legion was crushed. ODN was depleted. GATO was both crushed and proven irrevocably to be utterly inept in warfare. Nothing else to do, The Initiative would ultimately do the only thing it could: turn on itself.

The first alliance to depart the hyperbloc would be the Viridian Entente, disgusted by GOONS interference in its peace efforts with LoSS (requiring that they be ejected to Pink) and satisfied that its only real enemy, /b/, was gone for good. The Entente canceled its entire treaty catalog and declared independence while pledging that it still considered WUT to be close friends. Next would be Nordreich, who departed WUT amid a convoluted scandal involving internal intrigue and the undue influence of Stormfront (read: white supremacists and Nazis) on the group, a stain that the group still battles to shrug off today. The alliance ultimately disbanded on May 5, 2007. Third would be the Confederacy of Independent States. With VE gone from the Initiative and GGA setting designs on the whole of the Green Team, CIS, who'd only been admitted to the bloc thanks to campaigning by VE and GGA, no longer enjoyed support within the group. It didn't take long for folks to find a reason to throw them out (overblown hogwash about ceding authority to ODN), and so they did. All three would play subsequent roles in WUT's internal fissures.

First, VE continued to have diplomatic run-ins with GOONS. Such might not have been a problem except for the fact that the alliance had been planning on establishing a Black Team colony, the Obsidian Entente, since before GWIII. When the Entente went through with the project on May 12, 2007, GOONS promptly told them to get lost. They did, and the OE moved to the new Aqua Team. War was averted, but not for long. Detecting impending doom, the Entente quickly organized a bloc under the Green Solidarity Act (VE, NTO, ArGo, and Gramlins) and on May 24 the GGA, GOONS, and NPO declared war on the Entente (and CIS and the post-/b/ alliance NTO), citing its "destabilization" of the Green Team. Unable to round up a sufficient coalition to oppose the Initiative forces (NpO, TOP, and FAN refused to participate), and unwilling to submit to GGA demands to leave the Green Team, the VE disbanded. NTO and CIS both left the sphere. While the war lasted only 24 hours, it unleashed a torrent of criticism both public and private. Emperor Sponge of the New Polar Order would later cite it as the point at which he began to distrust The Initiative.

Next the Initiative would cripple the neutral bloc of GUARD, the NPO declaring war on its strongest alliance, ONOS, on June 3. The war ended two days later with an NPO viceroyalty and a requirement that no members be allowed to leave the alliance. Fellow GUARD alliances never raised a finger.

At the end of May, FAN, alongside its Yellow Team neighbor GOLD, declared umbrella protection of all Yellow Team members and began to attack nations that raided the sphere, including allies. This pretty quickly pissed off the raiders in WUT, especially GOONS. On June 5, FAN followed up by declaring war on Norden Verein, a spiritual heir to Nordreich, to commemorate D-Day. Unfortunately, NoV was protected by the NPO. FAN almost immediately accepted a cease fire, but the damage was done. With the two biggest powers of The Initiative infuriated for different reasons, FAN was ejected from WUT and attacked on June 18 by the combined forces of WUT, the NpO-oriented bloc BLEU, NoV, and the previously unaligned IRON, demonstrating just how many people were either sick of FAN or trying to suck up to WUT (honestly a lot of the former). VietFAN would mark another long guerrilla campaign, lasting from June 18 to the end of the Unjust War on September 24.

The Initiative, however, was not statistically diminished. As original members were one by one annihilated, new powers seized invitations to join, including the Multicolored Cross-X Alliance, The Phoenix Federation, and Gen[m]ay. But the singular goals, trust, unity, and cohesion that had propelled The Initiative to its zenith were gone, replaced by distrust and division. On one end stood Polaris and Emperor Electron Sponge. On the other were the GOONS and its growing organization of personal allies both in the Initiative and out ultimately called "The Unjust Path." The old rivalry between CoaLUEtion and NPO was "settled" and the Great War Era closed. This new division would dictate the course of the future.