Infra Purchase Cost Reducers Not Working Right

Sephiroth

With all the resources who reduce infra purchase cost who don't require the Mars wonder you should get a 42% reduction in infra when adding them up, as the resources say they reduce it by the following amounts, Lumber (-6%), Iron (-5%), Marble (-10%), Aluminum (-7%), Coal (-4%), Steel (-2%), Rubber (-3%) and Construction (-5%). When I add together the percentages on how much infra cost reduction this combination of resources should give, I get the number 42%, but the resource tool oddly says all these resources combined only give a 35.2% infrastructure cost reduction. Bug in the game maybe? That's a bigger difference in what the resources say they give you and what you actually get than one of the bigger infra reducers give you total, such as lumber which gives a 6% decrease supposedly, which is less than the difference in what you actually get from having all the infrastructure reducing resources.

Also with 5 factories, interstate system, scientific development center and all the infra reducing resources doing as they say, someone should have a 100% reduction in infra cost. With a mars colony and basalt, they should have a 108% reduction in infra purchase cost.

So what I'm wondering if its a glitch that the descriptions show it as being possible to get bigger infra reductions than they actually give and that the descriptions show it possible to get over a 100% reduction in infrastructure cost if all the percentages added up normally? 100% reduction I would think makes the infrastructure free, but how is the total % reduction in infra purchase cost determined if adding up the percentages doesn't work?

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1320309991' post='2837556']
With all the resources who reduce infra purchase cost who don't require the Mars wonder you should get a 42% reduction in infra when adding them up, as the resources say they reduce it by the following amounts, Lumber (-6%), Iron (-5%), Marble (-10%), Aluminum (-7%), Coal (-4%), Steel (-2%), Rubber (-3%) and Construction (-5%). When I add together the percentages on how much infra cost reduction this combination of resources should give, I get the number 42%, but the resource tool oddly says all these resources combined only give a 35.2% infrastructure cost reduction. Bug in the game maybe? That's a bigger difference in what the resources say they give you and what you actually get than one of the bigger infra reducers give you total, such as lumber which gives a 6% decrease supposedly, which is less than the difference in what you actually get from having all the infrastructure reducing resources.

Also with 5 factories, interstate system, scientific development center and all the infra reducing resources doing as they say, someone should have a 100% reduction in infra cost. With a mars colony and basalt, they should have a 108% reduction in infra purchase cost.

So what I'm wondering if its a glitch that the descriptions show it as being possible to get bigger infra reductions than they actually give and that the descriptions show it possible to get over a 100% reduction in infrastructure cost if all the percentages added up normally? 100% reduction I would think makes the infrastructure free, but how is the total % reduction in infra purchase cost determined if adding up the percentages doesn't work?
[/quote]
I believe the percentage reductions multiply instead of summing.

ie. Lumber gives you a 6% reduction of 100%, Iron gives you a 5% reduction of the remaining 94%, Marble gives you a 10% reduction of the remaining 89.3%, and so on.
OR
(100% - 6%) x (100% - 5%) x (100% - 10%), etc. Adding it up this way actually gives you 64.8%, which translates into the 35.2% reduction you're seeing.

IIRC, the only percentage reductions that sum are ones that involve the same item - for example, 5 labor camps is a straight 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 50% summation.

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1320325662' post='2837595']
I believe the percentage reductions multiply instead of summing.

ie. Lumber gives you a 6% reduction of 100%, Iron gives you a 5% reduction of the remaining 94%, Marble gives you a 10% reduction of the remaining 89.3%, and so on.
OR
(100% - 6%) x (100% - 5%) x (100% - 10%), etc. Adding it up this way actually gives you 64.8%, which translates into the 35.2% reduction you're seeing.

IIRC, the only percentage reductions that sum are ones that involve the same item - for example, 5 labor camps is a straight 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 50% summation.
[/quote]
With a Scientific Development Center 5 Factories would equal a 50% summation like you're describing, but labor camps just reduce upkeep. I see what you're saying though, guess Scientific Development Center is better than I thought it was and infra cost reducing resources along with interstate system isn't as good as I thought before. None of the resources are as good as a factory in their effectiveness if it works that way. Do you know if population boosting resources multiply rather than summing in a similar manner, so (100% + 8%) x (100% +8%) would be the result of fish and wheat, rather than giving (100% + 16%)?

Edited by Methrage

All resource modifiers are multiplied. All modifiers whether from resources, improvements, or wonders are multiplied against the base. The only addition involved is when you have multiples of the same improvements. They are added together to establish the modifier used for that improvement which is multiplied against the base. So wheat and fish would multiplied 1.08*1.08.

This means modifiers which are increases provide benefits greater than they seem while the reverse is true for reductions which are smaller than it seems they would be.