OWF News Snippets

Grealind

No real need to reply to this one, your call ultimately. The purpose of this post is to simply let the masses know about the next attempt at the News From Yesterday concept.

[url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/OWFNews"]http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/OWFNews[/url]

This one at least as forethought. It's on wikia, so it can be maintained after I get exhausted with it.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1320303350' post='2837540']
If people don't come to the OWF, I don't see why they'd go to a wiki page either.
[/quote]

For those who care about CN enough to spend hours a day, every day, trying to keep up, the forums are fine, and this project isn't likely to help them in any way.

But some of us don't do that. I have no interest in spending hours a day on the forums. But it is nice to keep up with major events.

The "news from yesterday" did a very good job for awhile. I could look at that, and if one of the articles caught my interest, I could read the first post, or the full thread.

It was useful enough that I had my bookmark from the CN forums set to start at that page. Ultimately, though, any project of that sort that is based on one individual doing it is doomed to fail.

Anson has started a similar project, and he's done it in a way that other people can help maintain it.

I think that's a wonderful thing.

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1320649468' post='2840959']
For those who care about CN enough to spend hours a day, every day, trying to keep up, the forums are fine, and this project isn't likely to help them in any way.

But some of us don't do that. I have no interest in spending hours a day on the forums. But it is nice to keep up with major events.

The "news from yesterday" did a very good job for awhile. I could look at that, and if one of the articles caught my interest, I could read the first post, or the full thread.

It was useful enough that I had my bookmark from the CN forums set to start at that page. Ultimately, though, any project of that sort that is based on one individual doing it is doomed to fail.

Anson has started a similar project, and he's done it in a way that other people can help maintain it.

I think that's a wonderful thing.
[/quote]

Agreed. I don't have time to cruise OWF every day. RL calls.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also, would anyone be interested if I began retroactively working on this? I can go back as far as May 2011 without any difficulty from my personal archives, and then begin importing the News from Yesterday. That means we'd have a really decent coverage of the past year plus. Thoughts?

[quote name='Anson' timestamp='1327950831' post='2910741']
Also, would anyone be interested if I began retroactively working on this? I can go back as far as May 2011 without any difficulty from my personal archives, and then begin importing the News from Yesterday. That means we'd have a really decent coverage of the past year plus. Thoughts?
[/quote]

That would be great :)

[quote name='Anson' timestamp='1327950831' post='2910741']
[/quote]

Very much. I spare only about 5 mins catching up with CN, a summary like this is very helpful indeed, as it takes quite a while to figure if anyone is announcing anything useful under those titles and when they announced it.