Lets do something about it

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I notice a lot of people on Cybernations have been complaining about the game dying. I cant say I disagree with that diagnoses, but, I notice a lot of people complain, and then do nothing. My point is maybe its time to stop shouting, and time to start doing. I had an idea for a quasi para-recruitment organization. Possibly some non alliance organization that would help new players get started so they dont leave the game. Or what about trying to recruit players from real life people we know, or other websites (but not other game websites, I meant something like Fark did). I am tired of complaining and doing nothing, and im not sure how much the admin can, or will do. So how about we actually do something ourselves and bring back some revolutionary zeal?
Is anyone interested in this idea?

P.S
[url="http://ansontx.info/cybernations.aspx"]Something we should all look into[/url]

[b]How YOU can help:[/b]

1.Send new nations this message so kindly composed by Anson:

[quote]Afternoon!

You just created your nation, so I wanted to give you some friendly advice. I remember when I created my first nation, and I know I would have been grateful for some.

A few things to consider. You will get a lot of alliance recruitment messages. Think them over. Don't go with the one that offers you the most money. Most of the times they're just trying to buy your membership, and the money comes with some serious strings attached. Basically consider all your options, and don't be afraid to ask people questions about their alliance. Do your homework.

Next thing is if you aren't already in Peace mode, and you aren't joining an alliance right away, switch over by going into the Edit your nation. As a new nation you'll get people who will "tech raid" you just because they can.

The third useful thing is Tech Deals are extremely helpful to build your nation. The current rate is 3 million for 100 tech. Alliances can help you get more of them.

Cheers!
Anson[/quote]

Also maybe post the links to some much needed nation guides:
http://ansontx.info/guides.aspx

2. Post a basic primer (like the one below) about how to play cybernations on your facebook, twitter, and all the forums you visit that would allow you to do so.

[quote]Cybernations is a free, online nation simulation game. You create a nation, conduct trade and diplomacy with other nations, go to war, and join alliances with many other people. While this may sound boring, in reality its a very exciting game, and no doubt you will meet many interesting people along your way should you choose to embark on this journey to Cybernations.

All nations start off without an alliance, no trades, and only 50,000 dollars (buys much more than real life 50,000 dollars would). In this time, it is important that nations purchase as much infrastructure as they can, while purchasing little or no technology, and only keeping the bare minimum of land and soldiers so as not to get the red text warning message on your main screen. Once you have spent most of your money, you should consider joining an alliance. Alliances offer many benefits such as interaction with other human beings around the globe, a chance to put you skills to work (be it writing, web coding, or even military organization), and a place to get millions of dollars worth of aid and advice on how to run your nation in the best way possible.

There is no shortage of alliances to choose from, themes: Germanic to Generic, Fascist to Finnish, Communist to Corrupt, and almost anything else you can think of for a theme. Different alliances offer different things, and its ultimately up to YOU, the player to decide. Now it is in your hands, and we can only wish you the best of luck. [/quote]

3. Real life friends

Why not talk to a real life friend, lover, or co worker about playing this game? If you have any friends who like strategy games, maybe you should talk to them about Cybernations.

Edited by Alexander the 5th

Here's the message that I use: Note that this is just what I use, so please feel free to make your own. Also I open with either Morning/Afternoon/Evening depending on what CN time it is.

[quote]Afternoon!

You just created your nation, so I wanted to give you some friendly advice. I remember when I created my first nation, and I know I would have been grateful for some.

A few things to consider. You will get a lot of alliance recruitment messages. Think them over. Don't go with the one that offers you the most money. Most of the times they're just trying to buy your membership, and the money comes with some serious strings attached. Basically consider all your options, and don't be afraid to ask people questions about their alliance. Do your homework.

Next thing is if you aren't already in Peace mode, and you aren't joining an alliance right away, switch over by going into the Edit your nation. As a new nation you'll get people who will "tech raid" you just because they can.

The third useful thing is Tech Deals are extremely helpful to build your nation. The current rate is 3 million for 100 tech. Alliances can help you get more of them.

Cheers!
Anson[/quote]

I personally would love the see the game grow- However I know there are very many who are complacent with the way the game is currently being played.

The thing is- Cybernations needs to be more appealing. Perhaps better graphics, and easier game play system- Things that the players cannot produce themselves. Admin will need to do these things, And unless he feels like doing them....Well, There isn't much that we can do.

[quote name='keenu' timestamp='1320204610' post='2836908']
I personally would love the see the game grow- However I know there are very many who are complacent with the way the game is currently being played.

The thing is- Cybernations needs to be more appealing. Perhaps better graphics, and easier game play system- Things that the players cannot produce themselves. Admin will need to do these things, And unless he feels like doing them....Well, There isn't much that we can do.
[/quote]

^this.. this.. Defeatism. This is exactly what is destroying the game. Why not actually do something? Petition admin, start a movement, or even *gasp recruit new people from real life and other websites, and try and help out new arrivals.
I am tired of complaining, I want action. Complaints without actions is just basically saying "I like to watch CN die".

[quote name='Alexander the 5th' timestamp='1320204770' post='2836909']
^this.. this.. Defeatism. This is exactly what is destroying the game. Why not actually do something? Petition admin, start a movement, or even *gasp recruit new people from real life and other websites, and try and help out new arrivals.
I am tired of complaining, I want action. Complaints without actions is just basically saying "I like to watch CN die".
[/quote]

Alright. You've made your case. You want action. Now, be the change you wish to see. Do action.

[quote name='Anson' timestamp='1320204886' post='2836915']
Alright. You've made your case. You want action. Now, be the change you wish to see. Do action.
[/quote]

your right, come tomorrow I am forming an all volunteer organization to revive CN and bring in members, and retain current ones.

Gopher is right, this game(in my honest opinion) is about politics and always has been as long as I've been around, not graphics.
I see nothing wrong with the general idea, but I do however doubt it will have a great impact, no offense.

[quote name='MrAstro34' timestamp='1320267379' post='2837180']
Gopher is right, this game(in my honest opinion) is about politics and always has been as long as I've been around, not graphics.
I see nothing wrong with the general idea, but I do however doubt it will have a great impact, no offense.
[/quote]

You're right, it probably won't have *great* impact. However, I break it down like this. If ten people each send out twenty welcome messages a week. and half of those welcome messages turn into retained nations. That's 100 players per week. As of right now, the game has 15,906 nations. So, if every week 100 nations remained in the game, in a month we'd have ~400 nations that stayed. If twenty people did this, it would be ~800. So no, it's not going to have a huge impact if it's just two or three people. It's a start.

I see your train of thought, and I applaud you for at least trying to reverse the tide, but it won't solve the underlying problems of CN. That said, I encourage you and anybody else to do this, every little bit helps(I don't want it seem as though I'm making the attempt of shooting this down, rather pointing some things out).

Edited by MrAstro34

I was on IRC a little bit ago in the official Cybernations channel. I don't normally bother reading what's being said in the channel, rather I usually just lurk in there. For whatever reason however, I clicked into the channel. The following statement caught my attention though (note that I condensed the multiple lines into a single statement):

[quote](+Baldr) it's a fairly slow moving game. The vast majority of the time, you don't do much of anything with your nation on a daily basis. My usual day is to pay my bills, check my aid slots to see if I need to send money for a tech deal or send a reminder about tech that's due. Once every 20 days, I do a collection. That's about it.[/quote]

I think that this is true for all of the rulers who's nations are now buyer level. Seller level nations have a bit more interaction, but not by a whole lot. The game is not played within the confines of the website, but rather on the forums and in the communities of the alliances. That's something that new players often have a hard time grasping. When sending out your recruitment messages, if you have the extra space, perhaps you could include some tips about the game, as well as stressing that the website is only for the mechanics of the game, and that the real game is played in the community.

How else could we help convey to new players this?

EDIT: A loosely related thread is found [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=105108"]by clicking here[/url]

Edited by Anson

• 2 weeks later...

Look I understand all of your hard work trying to fix the so-call Dieing CN issue, and it's a real problem with in the game, but really, your going to use Rick Perry as your image for success :(( Your treat this like it's a Republican election debate; It look like Rick Perry is going to help us out with our problems in CN. :facepalm::((

This is a bad idea, some people don't like the image of Rick, some people are not even republican, and the bottom line, bringing up this idea with a political image might force some people not to join in the effort.

I'm not with you on this subject [b](my vote)[/b] at all. If you want to update and improve this game, then learn every single part of the it. That's every math equation, every thing to do with CN, and find ways to improve on the game experience for the players. Post these well thought out ideas in the suggestion forum. Maybe some ideas can be talk over with others either personal or public in a different forum site. Other wise, this posting and others about what's killing the game will be just another aggravating intervention thread, that no one wants to read.

P.S
Great Idea, but bad presentation.

Edited by JohnHancock

[quote name='JohnHancock' timestamp='1320987640' post='2843082']
Look I understand all of your hard work trying to fix the so-call Dieing CN issue, and it's a real problem with in the game, but really, your going to use Rick Perry as your image for success :(( Your treat this like it's a Republican election debate; It look like Rick Perry is going to help us out with our problems in CN. :facepalm::((

This is a bad idea, some people don't like the image of Rick, some people are not even republican, and the bottom line, bringing up this idea with a political image might force some people not to join in the effort.

I'm not with you on this subject [b](my vote)[/b] at all. If you want to update and improve this game, then learn every single part of the it. That's every math equation, every thing to do with CN, and find ways to improve on the game experience for the players. Post these well thought out ideas in the suggestion forum. Maybe some ideas can be talk over with others either personal or public in a different forum site. Other wise, this posting and others about what's killing the game will be just another aggravating intervention thread, that no one wants to read.

P.S
Great Idea, but bad presentation.
[/quote]

I don't know who Rick Perry is. But you're really going to use that reason to say "screw the game"?

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1321348307' post='2845004']
I don't know who Rick Perry is. But you're really going to use that reason to say "screw the game"?
[/quote]
There's your problem, you don't know who Rick Perry is. Google Him! And to answer your question?!!? What on earth are you talking about??

I never said anything directly on the matter of "Screw the game". In fact that's not at all in my statement. I'm just saying that addressing the game's problem using a Political presentation format is not going to work. After giving this some thought I really can't see anything more we could do to improve the game without changing what make Cyber Nation unique. We can only add more for the noobie. Maybe make it easier for them to grow fast at first, but to every game that is out there has a design of challenges that make the game worth wild. Change to much of the game and it becomes too easy to play.

But Dude really!? I know there are grammar issue within most of my posting, and a lot of people have a hard time reading them, but my statement was very clear. I don't know how could you come up with your comment, but really, I don't care. Just can be annoying sometimes :smug:

Edited by JohnHancock

[quote name='JohnHancock' timestamp='1321674583' post='2846721']
There's your problem, you don't know who Rick Perry is. Google Him! And to answer your question?!!? What on earth are you talking about??

I never said anything directly on the matter of "Screw the game". In fact that's not at all in my statement. I'm just saying that addressing the game's problem using a Political presentation format is not going to work. After giving this some thought I really can't see anything more we could do to improve the game without changing what make Cyber Nation unique. We can only add more for the noobie. Maybe make it easier for them to grow fast at first, but to every game that is out there has a design of challenges that make the game worth wild. Change to much of the game and it becomes too easy to play.

But Dude really!? I know there are grammar issue within most of my posting, and a lot of people have a hard time reading them, but my statement was very clear. I don't know how could you come up with your comment, but really, I don't care. Just can be annoying sometimes :smug:
[/quote]

Someone is actively taking a role in revitalising the game. You flamed it because it had Rick Perry associated with it. That's dumb. It doesn't matter who he is, it's just the political beliefs of the guy doing something for the game.

It's not your grammar that needs help, it's your comprehension.

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1321676632' post='2846733']
Someone is actively taking a role in revitalising the game. You flamed it because it had Rick Perry associated with it. That's dumb. It doesn't matter who he is, it's just the political beliefs of the guy doing something for the game.

It's not your grammar that needs help, it's your comprehension. [b]And I say something is wrong with your Comprehension. Like your not reading the whole entire thing. :mad: [/b]
[/quote]

THE "political beliefs",

Is not needed! You don't need to make political campaign to address CN problems. Also, people are sensitive towards the matter of politics. Some people don't like Rick Perry :frantic: , some people think he is an &$*@% idiot :frantic: , and to have a solution that looks like Rick Perry Him self had sat down and wrote a statement to address CN problems might not be taken seriously. Currently, look at the votes right now. There might be something to say about them.

Drop the Rick Perry and all other political BS, and just say what's on your mind. Ask your self what needs to change within CN, to make the game experience more enjoyable for new comers, and post a solution about your ideas. Keep it simple Stupid (KISS) Or what I like to say,"give me a KISS". Make a think tank if you need to.

Now to make clear of what I mean "Some people", I talking about there are people in CN(and else where out side of CN), hate Perry; that's just politics. Having a solution to our problems within CN under a political format, that in this case looks like Rick Perry, might not be a great idea for what I just said about politics.

That's My Comprehension. :P

P.S
There is nothing wrong with finding improvements for the game, however, there is a right way of doing it and a wrong way of doing it. This looks like the wrong way. If your not incline to agree with my statement too bad. But Don't turn my comments around saying that I'm trying to destroy Cn, and to add insult, by applying the idea that, I don't know what I'm saying Far as Comprehension goes.

Edited by JohnHancock

Okay, here's the deal. You don't know me, I don't know you. And to be honest, the way you off-the-cut attacked the whole concept initially on the premise of my choice of avatar is, in my personal opinion, pathetic. If I wanted to, I could weigh in with my personal beliefs regarding your avatar, but what would that accomplish? Nothing. Avatars are made to simply have a face of sorts. if someone has an Avatar of a chocolate bar, for example, should I automatically demean him for everything he says because he's a tubby? I don't even know if he is he even a tubby? Yes, my avatar is of Rick Perry, and it has been since January 2011. I am the Cybernations Ruler of Texas, and, don't look now, but he's the Governor of Texas! There is a legitimate connection to my having him as an avatar. Now, if you honestly don't like Rick Perry, that sounds like a personal problem. I was under the distinct impression that this section was for Gameplay discussion, and not about who hates who of the real world.

Now, onto the content that you presented that directly relates to this topic. Your suggestion is that we should examine and find a mathematical equation, and then suggest that we make it better? I didn't realize this was the suggestions section of the forums. I personally love this game just the way it is. What this game does need, in my opinion, and apparently Alexander's opinion as well, is more players. So, I said "hey, I think this game needs more players, how do I make that happen" since I always hated the consistent complain and do nothing threads. So, I did something, and Alexander did the thread. If you want this game to die, you are more than allowed to want that; just like I'm more than allowed to want to try and work to retain more of the players we currently have joining.

The problem that I see is not that we don't have people signing up for the game, because people do sign up for this game. It's keeping them here. I remember when I joined for the very first time back a few years ago. I was completely lost, and wanted to do things on my own. I would have been so grateful for just a bit of friendly, no strings attached, advice. My first few nations I ended up deleting due to inactivity because I couldn't figure the game out, or I was raided so I lost my self confidence. I remember what that felt like, so if I can help new players so that they don't feel that way, when they finally do join that alliance, it will be because they're ready.

[quote name='Anson' timestamp='1321769581' post='2847361']
Okay, here's the deal. You don't know me, I don't know you. And to be honest, the way you off-the-cut attacked the whole concept initially on the premise of my choice of avatar is, in my personal opinion, pathetic. If I wanted to, I could weigh in with my personal beliefs regarding your avatar, but what would that accomplish? Nothing. Avatars are made to simply have a face of sorts. if someone has an Avatar of a chocolate bar, for example, should I automatically demean him for everything he says because he's a tubby? I don't even know if he is he even a tubby? Yes, my avatar is of Rick Perry, and it has been since January 2011. I am the Cybernations Ruler of Texas, and, don't look now, but he's the Governor of Texas! There is a legitimate connection to my having him as an avatar. Now, if you honestly don't like Rick Perry, that sounds like a personal problem. I was under the distinct impression that this section was for Gameplay discussion, and not about who hates who of the real world.

Now, onto the content that you presented that directly relates to this topic. Your suggestion is that we should examine and find a mathematical equation, and then suggest that we make it better? I didn't realize this was the suggestions section of the forums. I personally love this game just the way it is. What this game does need, in my opinion, and apparently Alexander's opinion as well, is more players. So, I said "hey, I think this game needs more players, how do I make that happen" since I always hated the consistent complain and do nothing threads. So, I did something, and Alexander did the thread. If you want this game to die, you are more than allowed to want that; just like I'm more than allowed to want to try and work to retain more of the players we currently have joining.

The problem that I see is not that we don't have people signing up for the game, because people do sign up for this game. It's keeping them here. I remember when I joined for the very first time back a few years ago. I was completely lost, and wanted to do things on my own. I would have been so grateful for just a bit of friendly, no strings attached, advice. My first few nations I ended up deleting due to inactivity because I couldn't figure the game out, or I was raided so I lost my self confidence. I remember what that felt like, so if I can help new players so that they don't feel that way, when they finally do join that alliance, it will be because they're ready.
[/quote]

sorry Anson I though you were the Author of this post. but there wasn't any real personal attack made towards this thread, just because I saw Rick Perry, but it seem the solution to CN's Problems were under a political format to which I strongly oppose it. Maybe the comments between Ironfist and I kept me on a rant that wasn't needed. Still I feel a political format to address the problem is a bad idea. I do agree with a lot of your statements. I think alliance members have to get a hold of the noobies, and tech them well on the basics of the game. Get them to stay, and to build up a habit of coming back for more.
Again Anson nothing personal.