Factoring in distance in warfare, and giving Colours more of a role

Mada Vopahsolog

I'd like peoples thoughts on this, to refine the suggestion, before putting it in the Suggestion thread (or if I even should).

In the world, some states may be region powers - able to touch or crush countries around them, but they have little to no ability to extend their grasp to touch nations further away. So, in order to add more realism, and give team Colours more use, and add more strategy in picking Colours and forming alliances:

OPTION 1-

1. Players can only use Land based military units to attack nations similar to their Team colour (consider Team colours as Countries within your region. If you're Blue, you can only attack Blues)
2. Players can only use Air and Sea units to attack nations adjacent to their Team colour (if you're Blue, you can only attack Purples and Greens).
3. Players can use Nukes on any player, regardless of Team colour. Same goes with Spies.

------------------[b][color="#0000FF"]Blue[/color][/b]-----------------------
-------------------------------------------------
------[b][color="#9932CC"]Purple[/color][/b]----------[b][color="#00FF00"]Green[/color][/b]-------------
-------------------------------------------------
[b][color="#FF0000"]Red[/color][/b]-----------[b][color="#FF8C00"]Orange[/color][/b]---------[b][color="#FFFF00"]Yellow[/color][/b]

Ex. Blue > Pruple, Green.
Ex. Orange > Red, Yellow
Ex. Purple > Blue, Red

OPTION 2-
You still get to attack anyone of any Team colour, but the Colour scheme stays the same and only buffs/debuffs take effect. So, if you're using Land based units, you either get a buff when attacking Players of a similar Colour, or a debuff when using Land based units against players other than your Team Colour.

Thoughts?

Edited by Mada Vopahsolog

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1319937171' post='2834788']
Well it doesn't make sense to me but anyway are you considering the fact that players can choose whatever colour they want any time?
[/quote]

1. What doesn't make sense to you?

2. To implement this idea, players can't their Team Colour during war. The game mechanic still stays the same. Getting more use out of Team Colours and the added realism is still there.

[quote name='Mada Vopahsolog' timestamp='1319962142' post='2834938']
1. What doesn't make sense to you?

2. To implement this idea, players can't their Team Colour during war. The game mechanic still stays the same. Getting more use out of Team Colours and the added realism is still there.
[/quote]

Well the whole idea that one can only attack someone on their team colour makes no sense. Why would we want to attack our colour team-mates? If, say, NpO goes to war with Viridian Entente, it won't work because one is on blue and the other on green. VE would only be able to attack green alliances, the types of alliances they're in the UJA with. How does that make a realistic situation?

I don't see how this adds realism. The distance involved doesn't prevent the use of certain types of attacks, it just makes them more difficult to execute either from the standpoint of logistics or the elements involved. I think you would be better off and it might be better received if you focused establishing elements that can modify combat based on team color of the nations involved. The real object is adding gameplay not just realism.

Issues raised...

[quote] Why would we want to attack our colour team-mates?
[/quote]

Not all similar Colours are allies or friends. Colours will represent "regions", and if all blues want to be friends or foe, so be it. Similar Colour Players are the ones that can attack each other with ground units. If you want to attack a player in the adjacent Colour scheme (region) you need a more developed military to get there - navy and air force.

[quote] I think you would be better off and it might be better received if you focused establishing elements that can modify combat based on team color of the nations involved. The real object is adding gameplay not just realism.[/quote]
Option #2 is intended for this. If a player wants to attack a player of a different Team Colour with purely ground units, fine, nothing changes. I went over this though, if they're using ground units then there's going to be some sort of penalty or bonus.

Colours will add more weight in making decisions, expanding not only from Economic ties (Trade happiness bonuses) but Military ones as well. Team colour spheres to negotiate with one another, getting one Dominate Alliance Colour Sphere to attack another Dominate Alliance Colour Sphere because they're in a better position to.

Edited by Mada Vopahsolog