From the ruins of civilization...

Silhouette

The cities of Greater Pacifica were in various stages of decay, the remnants of a great empire only a shadow of their former glory. The Oceanic Union had stepped in with remarkable haste when the need became apparent, and were instrumental in maintaining the health of the population after the collapse of the government. But the people of this land were stubborn by nature. A glorious colonial past had tempered that stubbornness into an indomitable will to succeed, to strive for glory and personal freedom. It was only a matter of time then, before they started to reorganize. The first group to truly make a dent was known to most only as The Council of Eight, and it was their vision of strength and independence unity, as well as their cast iron plan of how to achieve it, that won them so much support.

From the first cell in Wellington, their message was spread all throughout the islands, and where possible the council themselves travelled to meet their supporters, to gain their trust and respect. They were not despotic in the least, and understood that any attempt to rebuild would require the full support of the populace. In only a matter of months, the council estimated they had the support of nearly 35% of the adult population. That was when the council made the decision to mobilise.

The demonstrations were enormous, crowds of supporters packed the streets in all major cities, and yet there was no hint of violence or anger. A handful of representatives from the Council's inner circle were the focal point for most of these demonstrations, leading chants, songs, and marches through the streets. As night fell in Wellington one man broke away from the crowd, seeking out the headquarters for the local Oceanic Union humanitarian effort. He didn't seek an audience immediately, instead, he left a simple note with the sentry, addressed to whomever was in charge of the operation. The note was brief, but to the point.

[i]Today, you have seen the will of the people. We are eternally grateful for your efforts in maintaining our nation during our time of need, but we feel now that we can start to take matters into our own hands once more. My name is Jacob Anders, and I am the First Chair of The Council of Eight, the body that has the support of all these people. With your blessing, and your support, we wish to rebuild our nation, reclaim the status as a sovereign nation that we deserve and desire. I hope you will respond promptly.[/i]
[i]
[/i]
The note ended with a simple list of contact details.

The orderly demonstrations would continue for another day and night, before the people finally had to retire for some much needed rest. But the point had been made, and they had high hopes that New Zealand would once again be a nation for her people.

OOC: I'm back, baby

Edited by Silhouette

[quote name='Silhouette' timestamp='1318649670' post='2825402']
OOC: You must be joking... whatever happened to first come first serve etc etc...

$%&@ it, i should have just stayed away, not worth the hassle.
[/quote]

OOC: As far as the rules go that's still the case, it doesn't matter that pm's were exchanged. This is the first IC claim.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1318692275' post='2825630']
OOC: As far as the rules go that's still the case, it doesn't matter that pm's were exchanged. This is the first IC claim.
[/quote]
OOC: It's a protectorate. As such there is no such thing as "first come first serve", unless you're going to go back on more than half of every protectorate claims that were denied because it was promised to someone else. Of course, unless you mean that we have to RP out the denial, which still seems a half-cooked nonsense how we don't need to even recognize this RP....

PS: I'm neutral on this, since I'm not the who made the promise here. I lean towards Silhouette personally, but then I do have joint a responsibility as a member of the Oceanic Union to keep promises made.

Edited by Kankou

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1318696373' post='2825652']
OOC: It's a protectorate. As such there is no such thing as "first come first serve", unless you're going to go back on more than half of every protectorate claims that were denied because it was promised to someone else. Of course, unless you mean that we have to RP out the denial, which still seems a half-cooked nonsense how we don't need to even recognize this RP....

PS: I'm neutral on this, since I'm not the who made the promise here. I lean towards Silhouette personally, but then I do have joint a responsibility as a member of the Oceanic Union to keep promises made.
[/quote]

OOC: It's been less than 2 weeks since the protectorate was declared, the protectorate thus can be challenged.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1318698208' post='2825673']
OOC: It's been less than 2 weeks since the protectorate was declared, the protectorate thus can be challenged.
[/quote]
OOC: Now transfers of land as protectorates can be challenged? Exactly what are you saying now? Sorry, I sense something amiss with the arguments laid out so far.

OOC: These should all be IC responses. Telling him OOC means nothing ICly.

IC:

Ireland supports the will of the people of New Zealand. They should be allowed to form their own nation from the ashes of their previous government, just as many others have.

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1318698369' post='2825675']
OOC: Now transfers of land as protectorates can be challenged? Exactly what are you saying now? Sorry, I sense something amiss with the arguments laid out so far.
[/quote]

OOC: They've been able to be challenged since that mess in Mongolia, Silhouette is well within 2 weeks of the protectorate being established, as such he has the right to challenge the claim.

Triest Stettin unbuttoned the breast pocket of her tunic and took out a pillbox from which she removed a Benzedrine tablet, knowing the drugs effect in the prevention of sleep. Mostly, she preferred to take Benzedrine in situations involving pleasure instead of work. In Australia, she had used it liberally. But the mass demonstration by the New Zealand people was something of an emergency, and, swallowing the tablet quickly with the dregs of her coffee, she went to contact the Oceanic Union headquarters. The two conflicting movements for the independence of New Zealand could clash over who has authority, and she was ready to use military force to force the issue should things get messy.

Damn those idiots back at the Oceanic Union HQ for not notifying her of anything beforehand!

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1318698617' post='2825680']
OOC: They've been able to be challenged since that mess in Mongolia, Silhouette is well within 2 weeks of the protectorate being established, as such he has the right to challenge the claim.
[/quote]
OOC: Still not getting how a [u][b]transfer[/b][/u], instead of a sudden reroll/purge, is even related to that Mongolian issue. You're basically saying that now, any sort of transfer of land can be challenged within two weeks. This isn't a situation where a nation rerolled: this is practically where sovereign land was given to the Oceanic Union, which was turned into a protectorate. By allowing a challenge, you're basically opening up the chance to challenge any and all land transfers.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1318699481' post='2825693']
OOC: Still not getting how a [u][b]transfer[/b][/u], instead of a sudden reroll/purge, is even related to that Mongolian issue. You're basically saying that now, any sort of transfer of land can be challenged within two weeks. This isn't a situation where a nation rerolled: this is practically where sovereign land was given to the Oceanic Union, which was turned into a protectorate. By allowing a challenge, you're basically opening up the chance to challenge any and all land transfers.
[/quote]

OOC: Mongolia was a land transfer. The ruling based on precedent stands.

OOC:

A. New Zealand is a protectorate, not land held open for new players. Those holding the land (the OU) may decide who it goes to, or I request to be pointed to a ruling that says otherwise. I'm sorry Sil was not first or even second to show an interest in the land, but that's the way it goes.

B. If anyone wants to contest this IC, do it.

C. Unless Knowz wants one, an insurgency in New Zealand will not be recognized.

OOC:

I believe Cent's point is that a protectorate status can be contested for up to two weeks after it was granted. For example Martens protectorate over England was contested by TBM and PD, and SMHs protectorate over Texas was contested by Shammy recently. SMHs was contested in fact when the protectorate was gifted to him from Yawoo. In such a scenario people can RP their IG stats plus regular multipliers etc but cannot claim massive support from the population.

Therefore if Sil wishes to contest things in NZ he may, but he cannot claim to be the universally popular choice.

OOC: Right, a protectorate may be contested within two weeks, or any time if a nation puts boots on the ground. But it can't be contested in the same sense by someone without a nation and without the permission of the protectorate holder.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1290557929' post='2521592'][b]-[/b]Protectorates are land set aside by blocs, nations, etc. for new nations. They are not an integral part of any nation, or bloc, and will normally be ceded to those who wish to place their nation there. However, you must speak to that bloc, nation, etc. before claiming the land.

[b]-[/b]If you want to claim an area already claimed, you have to work something out with the current owner. This means you cannot start a rebellion in their territory, a terrorist group, etc. without their permission.[/quote]

OOC: As much enjoyment as I get from this out of character !@#$ storm, my post was in fact worded in such as way that you could at least tell me to $%&@ off IC if you wanted to... kill the council of eight for all I care, but my post specifically contained a request to actually have an IC discussion with the protectors, and as i remember, such a discussion, regardless of ooc actions, had to be made ic for it to count in any way shape or form. So respond how you like ikrolm, but I'd appreciate an IC response one way or another.

After getting the garrison of approximately 300,000 troops and 1,000 tanks mobilized on North Island, and also calling in the Grand Papuan Air Force for possible backup, Triest had a message relayed to this Council, calling them to the Beehive for a meeting

OOC: For my own comfort, please have the representative lay out the full request on the table at once, to avoid back and forth piecemeal discussions. I can't promise you all of NZ, but we'll see how things go.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1318743118' post='2826105']
After getting the garrison of approximately 300,000 troops and 1,000 tanks mobilized on North Island, and also calling in the Grand Papuan Air Force for possible backup, Triest had a message relayed to this Council, calling them to the Beehive for a meeting

OOC: For my own comfort, please have the representative lay out the full request on the table at once, to avoid back and forth piecemeal discussions. I can't promise you all of NZ, but we'll see how things go.
[/quote]

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1318744626' post='2826115']
IC: Selenarctos to requests that the Council of Eight send representation to the Oceanic Union Bloc Council in Manila to discuss the independence of New Zealand.
[/quote]

The two statements were peculiar to say the least, but The Council did it's very best to accommodate both. Three members would fly to Manilla on the first available flight, and three would proceed to the Beehive in central Wellington, to meet with the Papuan officials.

OOC: I'll just assume they get past security etc. without issue for brevity's sake.]

IC: The council members were direct in expressing their wishes, and the Papuan and Selenarctan officials would receive almost identical reports.

"Our people," they would say, "offer us their support in the founding of a new state. We do not by any means claim to speak for all the people, but we speak for a reasonable portion of them, and they are saying they are ready for self determination, and that they wish us to lead them on that path. Ideally, we would wish for all the islands of New Zealand to be united as one state, but realistically we understand that may not be an option. So we present to you this proposal, that the Oceanic Union cede to our authority all or part of the territorial islands of New Zealand, and provide assistance to ensure the proper administration of the state until such a time as we are fully equipped to do so ourselves. It is for the good of the Oceanic region as a whole to promote self determination, and we very much hope that you will recognise our wishes here today."

The Council of Eight has the full support of the Emperor, and Vasuda recognizes the Council as the sole authority in Wellington. The Emperor's press secretary passed on only this brief statement to the media:

"The Council of Eight has been the only group in New Zealand to have appealed to the international community at this time. While some nations in the Oceanic Union may be throwing their weight behind other parties, it is worth noting that these other groups have been too busy trying to improve their position and rally support at home, that they have not even requested assistance from their allies abroad."

[b]OOC:[/b] Come on. I haven't seen any posts from these other folks, and as the protectorate is under 2 weeks old, I think Sil should get what he asked for.