Announcing Treaties on the OWF

Feanor Noldorin

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1318011045' post='2819888']
Rather than bore you all with a longwinded OP I'd like to pose this simple question.

Why are more and more alliances refusing to announce new treaties (or changes to existing treaties) on the Big Boards?
[/quote]

b/c the OWF is full of morons and poo flingers.

Rather than bore you all with a longwinded OP I'd like to pose this simple question.

Why are more and more alliances refusing to announce new treaties (or changes to existing treaties) on the Big Boards?
[/quote]
easier chance to get involved in a war without alliances knowing :P

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1318011457' post='2819898']
I would like to announce that CoJ and TOP have just closed the books on an ODP we've been hammering out for a long time. We didn't announce it before because we were afraid of what Crymson would say.
[/quote]

PF awaits you.

[/quote]

Have you read the OWF lately?

Can you really blame them?

edit: also haters so need the emotional reinforcement of poo throwing that if they don't announce it, people create a thread to throw poo anyways.

Edited by James Dahl

[/quote]

Announce it for them, what are the new treaties?

[quote name='Vulpes Inculta' timestamp='1318011301' post='2819894']
Suppose it's because there's no rule that says they absolutely have to.

And then there's the whole baiting thing.
[/quote][quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1318011317' post='2819895']
b/c the OWF is full of morons and poo flingers.
[/quote][quote name='Wu Tang Clan' timestamp='1318011402' post='2819897']
/me flings poo at SCY.

It's because they can't stand the thought of someone saying something bad about them. People are weak.
[/quote][quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1318011954' post='2819907']
The nature of the OWF has remained largely unchanged since I first got here in 2006.
[/quote][quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1318013796' post='2819934']
Have you read the OWF lately?

Can you really blame them?

edit: also haters so need the emotional reinforcement of poo throwing that if they don't announce it, people create a thread to throw poo anyways.
[/quote]
Join the campaign to civilize the OWF!! http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=103093

I'll have to disagree with you and say that the OWF has become a far more terrible place in the last two or three years, and I'd imagine that the alliances that choose not to post (not refuse to post, there's no obligation) their information here do so mainly because they don't want to lower themselves to partaking in circus full of $%&@wits and !@#$heads.

The CN wiki used to be regularly updated with treaties and events but the NG-UPN war isn't even on there and it isn't generally used as much as it used to be for the same reasons that alliances steer clear of the OWF; a disinterest in CN and taking part in the processes that oils it's wheels and a complete disdain for those of 'power' (wiki mods, active and loud posters) around the wiki and forums.

[quote name='Kowalski' timestamp='1318014491' post='2819947']
The CN wiki used to be regularly updated with treaties and events but the NG-UPN war isn't even on there
[/quote]

[url=http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/NG-UPN_War]Think you'll find it is[/url] it just wasn't added to the "news" section on the front page.

The CN wiki used to be regularly updated with treaties and events but the NG-UPN war isn't even on there and it isn't generally used as much as it used to be for the same reasons that alliances steer clear of the OWF; a disinterest in CN and taking part in the processes that oils it's wheels and a complete disdain for those of 'power' (wiki mods, active and loud posters) around the wiki and forums.
[/quote]

The NG-UPN was is on there, I made that page because no one else did, it just lacks content :v:

I keep any pages relating to myself and the alliance I am in updated as well, though it's true that it doesn't seem to be kept as upto date as it used to.

Why would we want to waste our time cluttering up the OWF with meaningful threads? Semi-important threads have no place on a forum whose accepted level of discourse has become one-man alliances making multiple threads on the front page, alliances CN itself doesn't recognize announcing how long they've been around or the random milestone they just hit, or just bland alliances calling attention to themselves to remind the rest of the world that they are still an alliance. That is what people want to see, so let the people have it. We'll keep our announcements to ourselves and our friends.

Fair enough, although I still think people aren't as interested in an accepted process anymore. Updating the wiki, posting DoW's before attacking, announcing treaty changes, there's less interest in 'following the rules' regarding them and anyone who whines about it is branded a whinging moralist. Even things like declarations of support and election/gov change threads seem horribly outdated. Most alliance business is done on IRC where the same information that appears on the wiki or here is readily available, so anything officially published just comes across as posturing. Times change, and I wouldn't be surprised of all that stuff was sub-consciously linked to pre-Karma and a willingness to adopt new ways with fewer rules to follow is a reaction to that.

[quote name='goldielax25' timestamp='1318015267' post='2819960']
Why would we want to waste our time cluttering up the OWF with meaningful threads? Semi-important threads have no place on a forum whose accepted level of discourse has become one-man alliances making multiple threads on the front page, alliances CN itself doesn't recognize announcing how long they've been around or the random milestone they just hit, or just bland alliances calling attention to themselves to remind the rest of the world that they are still an alliance. That is what people want to see, so let the people have it. We'll keep our announcements to ourselves and our friends.
[/quote]

Self-serving.
Because you don't post "meaningful threads", "one-man alliances making multiple threads on the front page" get the spotlight. Since the mods refuse the regulate this, there is no way of stopping one-man alliances making a DoE. Your only chance is to get them off the first page as fast as possible. And that goes hand in hand with not handing protectorates to everyone and their brother.

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1318015633' post='2819970']
Self-serving.
Because you don't post "meaningful threads", "one-man alliances making multiple threads on the front page" get the spotlight. Since the mods refuse the regulate this, there is no way of stopping one-man alliances making a DoE. Your only chance is to get them off the first page as fast as possible. And that goes hand in hand with not handing protectorates to everyone and their brother.
[/quote]
Exactly. Slippery slope. It's also annoying to me, though, that people would get all huffy about small alliances making announcements, and the "clutter" argument has been stupid for years. This is the Alliance Anouncements and World Affairs forums, it is impossible to "clutter" them by announcing alliance business on them. The idea that people should/can get all the info they need on IRC is also laughable; it's like saying you should go to the mall to get news instead of watching the news or reading a newspaper.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1318015843' post='2819974']
It's also annoying to me, though, that people would get all huffy about small alliances making announcements
[/quote]

I don't mind small alliances with a purpose and an active userbase (such as yours), but the general rule of thumb is that these micros clutter the real business of the OWF.

I'll continue to announce any changes to our treaties, for good or bad.

Partly because I don't care a whole lot about what most people say about them, and partly because I'm old school.
I like my CBs, I like my treaties announced and I like a valid chain for war. All you new pre-empt this, quintuple chain that and regfusing to announce treaty hipsters can eat it

:D

Edited by janax

I'll have to disagree with you and say that the OWF has become a far more terrible place in the last two or three years, and I'd imagine that the alliances that choose not to post (not refuse to post, there's no obligation) their information here do so mainly because they don't want to lower themselves to partaking in circus full of $%&@wits and !@#$heads.
[/quote]
I'm not talking about why entire alliances ban themselves from particpating/posting on the OWF but rather why they don't announce major foriegn affairs changes to their alliance. Announcing to the world that you and alliance X decided to mutually downgrade or cancel the treaty between you to isn't lowering yourself to the "circus."

[quote name='goldielax25' timestamp='1318015267' post='2819960']
We'll keep our announcements to ourselves and our friends.
[/quote]
I find this policy to be silly. I was among, atleast I suspect, number of people who thought the VE-Tetris treaty was still in effect which makes Legion's attack on them very revelant to the overall political world. While the VE-Tetris downgrade may pale in comparsion (atleast in the grand scheme of things) to such things like GOONS-CSN and Umbrella-MHA it is still important shift by your alliance and therefore should be announced.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1318015843' post='2819974']
The idea that people should/can get all the info they need on IRC is also laughable; it's like saying you should go to the mall to get news instead of watching the news or reading a newspaper.[/quote]
Well said.