Name the war

Mr flubb

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1317949813' post='2819119']The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest

...and only a few history geeks will know the significance of that.[/quote]
I knew about the Battle, but I am uncertain about the comparison you made.

[size="5"]Oktoberwar![/size]

[img]http://www.travelnlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Munich_Oktoberfest_2_gallery_533x400.jpg[/img]

Edit - Damn you supercoolyellow! I didn't see that you already went there.

Edited by LeonidasRexII

[quote name='Pearl' timestamp='1317947445' post='2819081']
I guess. But I think u mad about a war that sparta may, or may not, have had with an alliance that may, or may not, now be defunct.
[/quote]

Not sure why he would be mad, given the fact that aside from us finding your alliance to be a bit incompetent on the field, and PMoses doing his thing, nothing "bad" happened on that front. At least bring in relevant facts.

As for the war name: I like the IE war.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1317970832' post='2819535']
I knew about the Battle, but I am uncertain about the comparison you made.[/quote]

Simple. Broad brushing the history, the Roman legions marched against the "barbarians", got sloppy, and were overwhelmed and destroyed. At this point it would be fair to say that Legion has marched out alone, should have made sure it had the support of its allies to counter threats just in case (got a bit sloppy) apparently didn't and will be gradually cut to pieces as the number of alliances arrayed against them increases. This of course forecasts a Legion defeat and a pretty through beating.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps relief forces will come to Legion's aid, and perhaps the number of alliances that will eventually attack Legion won't be enough to inflict an overwhelming defeat, but...call me pessimistic. <_<

Pity, because as a detached observer, I liked Legion's DoW.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1317996431' post='2819668']
Simple. Broad brushing the history, the Roman legions marched against the "barbarians", got sloppy, and were overwhelmed and destroyed. At this point it would be fair to say that Legion has marched out alone, should have made sure it had the support of its allies to counter threats just in case (got a bit sloppy) apparently didn't and will be gradually cut to pieces as the number of alliances arrayed against them increases. This of course forecasts a Legion defeat and a pretty through beating.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps relief forces will come to Legion's aid, and perhaps the number of alliances that will eventually attack Legion won't be enough to inflict an overwhelming defeat, but...call me pessimistic. <_<

[/quote]

But who will cry over the loss of the legion?

[quote name='zzzptm' timestamp='1317954380' post='2819228']
Legionpalooza 2012
[/quote]

Sorry, I am the legal owner and proprietor of all -palooza related things on Bob. Expect to hear from my lawyers.

And furthermore, the potato-disapproves-of-naming-this-war-yet war.

(If we pick the IE War then next time some one will only enginner an FF War, etc. It will be even more tragic than the propaganda for this one.)

[quote name='Charles Stuart' timestamp='1317997108' post='2819674']
But who will cry over the loss of the legion?[/quote]

No one with the capability to form a rescue mission, apparently. Which perhaps says a lot more about their allies than even their allies are willing to admit.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1317996431' post='2819668']

[/quote]

Asides from the name I can't see any comparison between Legion and the Roman Empire. "Teutoburg Forest War" would suggest Legion was some kind of well-drilled military force defeated by barbarians. Not the case, at all. ;)

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1317996431' post='2819668']Simple. Broad brushing the history, the Roman legions marched against the "barbarians", got sloppy, and were overwhelmed and destroyed. At this point it would be fair to say that Legion has marched out alone, should have made sure it had the support of its allies to counter threats just in case (got a bit sloppy) apparently didn't and will be gradually cut to pieces as the number of alliances arrayed against them increases. This of course forecasts a Legion defeat and a pretty through beating.

Pity, because as a detached observer, I liked Legion's DoW.[/quote]
Thanks for your answer, Hal.

I am too lazy to check, but IIRC that Roman force, though of course armed as it was natural at the time in that place, was on a diplomatic mission. Also going by memory, the Romans were immediately defeated (basically because of the terrain, the number of the attackers and the fact that they didn't expect an attack on that scale, and thus they were not prepared/set for battle) and the survivors were then chased and tortured/killed for some days (weeks?) All of this makes it quite different from the present situation, but if The Legion ends up being "slaughtered" I think that your comparison will hold its water enough, after all.
Anyway again thanks for having taken the time to answer to me.

Edited by jerdge

Paper Tiger Fights Back? To early for naming the war in my opinion, as how it ends up isn't any less important than how it starts in naming a war. We have yet to even see if any of Legion's allies will get involved, whether Legion will surrender first or some of the alliances who declared on them will surrender first, as well as many other possible events that could happen in this war which could impact the naming. Currently NpO isn't involved, but maybe Legion is purposely keeping NpO out as they see how much support they can gather for their side without relying on NpO, who a lot people might not want to join the same side as Legion if they see this war as mostly revolving around NpO instead. If Legion could bring in some other alliances on their side, then bring NpO in as back up after their side gains a little momentum without them, then they could bring in more alliances who might dislike who Legion is fighting, but not want to join a NpO coalition due to a bad taste in their mouth still from BiPolar. Legion doesn't have any bad stains on their reputation to make them an alliance people want to avoid fighting on the same side as at all costs.