Day late and a dollar short

deth2munkies

So I looked at my forum profile today, and since I made it on the same day as my first nation, I've concluded that yesterday was my 4th anniversary with this game (not including the ~6-9 months off). Huzzah!

I've had great times, bad times, strange times, and uncomfortable times all around, and I can't get over how awesome you guys are as a community. This is pretty much one of two communities that I've stuck around with for an extremely long period of time (relatively) and you guys are the definite reason it's happened.

I might be a dollar short of common sense, but I've decided to, instead of merely posting a short summary of my history, turn this into a Reddit style "ask me anything" candid post. So, ask me anything and I'll be completely honest with you (IC, OOC matters I'll answer at my discretion). I'm a man of strong opinions so it should be fun!

Congratulations!

Here is my question, what were the best of the great times, the worst of the bad, the strangest of the strange, and the most uncomfortable of the uncomfortable times?

Answer any or all at your discretion of course.

[quote name='Sigrun Vapneir' timestamp='1317920734' post='2818643']
Congratulations!

Here is my question, what were the best of the great times, the worst of the bad, the strangest of the strange, and the most uncomfortable of the uncomfortable times?

Answer any or all at your discretion of course.
[/quote]
1) The best of times for me was being in MK during Karma. Everyone was energized, on both sides. There were the typical loudmouths and trolls working overtime on the boards and everyone was up in arms. Moreso than any other war (and not just because we won) it was exciting.

2) The worst of the bad was probably getting punked by Vader. It was somewhat humiliating to attempt to act for the best of your alliance only to find you're helping someone sabotage its stability. To be fair, he's already hacked our forums and was posting as every other gov member except me :P The funny part was, at the end of it, he was right.

3) The strangest part was probably when I first joined. I kinda got tossed into the fire without knowing much of anything and ended up in a senate seat in LoSS barely a month after starting. I had to read tons of posts worth of history, learn how diplomacy worked, what to say and what not to say, all of that in a compressed timeframe, and it was very weird to adjust to it.

4) The most uncomfortable time was most definitely WotC/Bipolar war for me. Long story short, LoSS planned on abandoning GR's treaty despite their requests for aid on a binding treaty. I fought as hard as I could to prevent that and I lost. I had to think long and hard about what my response was, and I think it was still right reflecting upon it, but it was uncomfortable to say the least.

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1317921077' post='2818646']
That's quite a feat.. congrats for sticking around forever.

Who do you think made the stupidest move in this current war (if you've been paying attention)?
[/quote]
By far the stupidest move was Tetris making that idiotic post in the first place. What the hell did they think was going to happen? The only thing stupider than that was the people who are now attempting to defend them by saying "well they didn't spy on anyone". That said, my position on the war is and has been that Tetris has just been trying to drag out Legion/Polar for another curbstomp considering how the treaty web will obviously break. So there was always motive behind it, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Edited by deth2munkies

[quote name='Garion' timestamp='1317931064' post='2818809']
Who will be next? Choose yourself next to do or be what.
[/quote]

What? :blink:

[quote name='Nedved III' timestamp='1317933602' post='2818839']
What's been your highest opinion of the Legion?
What's been your lowest?

Favorite alliance?
Least favorite?
[/quote]
1) Highest opinion is probably right now. Not saying much. They have the moral high ground and I'm rooting for them in this war, but I have an incredibly low opinion of most of the alliances they're fighting, so it's somewhat the lesser of two evils.

2) Lowest was probably when you guys treatied the NPO seemingly out of security (IIRC they'd just beaten you in a war and had a viceroy or something) at a time when you were one of the few large alliances they weren't already treatied to. Looking back it seems a bit hypocritical as my name is actually on a treaty with the NPO signed around that time, but I was far outnumbered in the government anyway.

3 & 4) Currently, I cannot answer this question, I just got back from a break and I haven't really had time to catch up. A lot has changed and so have my opinions on a bunch of different alliances. The overall opinions have gone down on most alliances, but I can say the last time I was active, I favored MK (duh) and was least a fan of TSO (due to member poaching, OOC attacks, etc perpetrated by that particular alliance).

I will throw out one thing: I miss CnG. The real CnG, not whatever thing is calling itself CnG these days. It was a bloc that stood for something in an age when everyone wanted somebody to stand for something opposite the major powers. Today the entire scene has descended into a much similar situation in which one side of the web has become incredibly clustered while everyone outside that cluster is quite fragmented. Hopefully it'll change soon.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1317936112' post='2818889']
What are your plans for your future in CN?

Who helped you most in CN?

Who would you consider your "worst enemy"?
[/quote]
1) I want to stay out of the alliance game for a while. There's no major alliance I feel myself drawn towards at the moment, and I don't want to just jump into a random one and hope for the best. It also allows me to speak my mind a bit more. I'm actually currently writing up an ideal charter for an alliance I'd like to start someday, but it wouldn't be at least until after this war is over and I'm honestly not sure who I'd get to run with me yet. I'll probably end up joining a midrange alliance at some point then breaking off and making my own somewhere down the line.

2) My first real influence was Rebirth of Gorniar in LoSS's FA school, which taught me a bunch of the necessary skills. Apart from that it's probably Doitzel, whom I collaborated with extensively here and elsewhere. I like to think that a bit of his charisma might have rubbed off on me and my time spent with him made me a much better community member. So RoG and Doitzel are probably my answers.

3) As an alliance, the NPO was probably the best enemy you could ask for. Arrogant beyond all belief and with unabashedly fascist rhetoric, they rode all the way up to the top, just begging someone to throw them off. I secretly hope they'll consolidate enough of a power base to make a run at it again, but given that a lot of their core leadership is gone or inactive, I'm not sure it'll be happening. Some of their best posters have moved on and it's quite a shame to see how far they've fallen in quality, I wish the old NPO would come back so I could hate them all over again.

As individuals, I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing Haflinger, Alterego, or Crohl has ever said, and I will never let up on what Sam (MCXA Sam) got away with way back when. Those are the only 4 individuals that I think deserve to be singled out.

Hay d2m
Happy anniversary youngster and I agree with your posts
I miss the good old days when people actually had character this day in Cn is getting pretty pathetic
I neverbactually thought I would say this but I miss NPO being the real enemy these new guys are just clowns crampt into a VW bug causing ruckus wherever they go....

RoadRash

[quote name='greco' timestamp='1317938378' post='2818936']
Hay d2m
Happy anniversary youngster and I agree with your posts
I miss the good old days when people actually had character this day in Cn is getting pretty pathetic
[b]I neverbactually thought I would say this but I miss NPO being the real enemy these new guys are just clowns crampt into a VW bug causing ruckus wherever they go....[/b]

RoadRash
[/quote]

This post is full of win especially the line in bold

Anyways

d2 what was your all time favourite war?

[quote name='johnathan buck' timestamp='1317940806' post='2818966']
This post is full of win especially the line in bold

Anyways

d2 what was your all time favourite war?
[/quote]
Karma is the obvious choice. I was in MK at the time, which was the epicenter of the whole movement and it was a truly epic thing to behold. I enjoyed the rhetoric from both sides and it was one of the most active times in the history of the forums (at least from my point of view, I don't have numbers to back it up).

War of the Coalition gets a close second. It was my first super major war since I joined and it was an absolute blast to chat about it and be a part of such an awesome thing. Yes, we lost, but I like to think it set the stage for greater victories by breaking up some of the old power structure.

Edited by deth2munkies

[quote name='deth2munkies' timestamp='1317921389' post='2818650']
2) The worst of the bad was probably getting punked by Vader. It was somewhat humiliating to attempt to act for the best of your alliance only to find you're helping someone sabotage its stability. To be fair, he's already hacked our forums and was posting as every other gov member except me :P The funny part was, at the end of it, he was right.
[/quote]

I feel like I should know this story already... but what happened with you and Vader (I'm always interested in hearing stories from other people who had Vader experiences)? Maybe after you start talking I'll remember...

-Craig

[quote name='Comrade Craig' timestamp='1317943407' post='2818994']
I feel like I should know this story already... but what happened with you and Vader (I'm always interested in hearing stories from other people who had Vader experiences)? Maybe after you start talking I'll remember...

-Craig
[/quote]
Meh, it's not quite as embarrassing as it used to be, I think it was actually quite funny in retrospect, so sure. It didn't get out very far because I requested a lock on it pretty fast and it ended up getting deleted for the stuff Vader threw in it.

Anyway, he posed as a LoSS member on IRC (LegionX when he really goes by legion-x), and managed somehow to hack our forums and post under the accounts of every other member of the LoSS senate. He basically said that our Consul (Michael Locke at the time) was planning on circumventing the charter to keep us out of the WotC, in spite of the fact we had an MDoAP with GR which they had requested we act upon. So, he started a vote to remove him and promote the proconsul (PHD IIRC) to Consul so we could enter the war. I voted yes and he voted yes with every other senator, and I posted it on the main boards. Then he posted a bunch of random !@#$ in the thread, spammed the IRC channels he was in, and deleted half our forums.

The funny part was at the end of it, he told me I was a good guy but that I should be careful about the guys I associate with. The kicker was that not only did our Consul vote to not go to war, but I was the only senator that voted to go to war as well. The rest is history.

Happy 4th!

[quote name='Comrade Craig' timestamp='1317943407' post='2818994']

-Craig
[/quote]
Woah, he's not filtered anymore.

[quote name='deth2munkies' timestamp='1317943966' post='2819004']
...and managed somehow to hack our forums...[/quote]

Oh yeah, I remember that whole affair. That was somewhat recently, right? Within the last year or two, when he exploited a flaw in the forum software to get a bunch of passwords and take control of a bunch of nations?

He used to cause a lot of grief between the LSF and NoV, too... About 4 years ago, or so.

-Craig

[quote name='Master-Debater' timestamp='1318125592' post='2821226']
When am I not in the doghouse? Youve known me long enough to know that :P

Also: No leaving again. It sucked bad enough when you left for a while. There are far to few of us left, and even fewer of us left from the LoSS-BTA tie's era.
[/quote]
I haven't been around [i]that[/i] long. When I started BTA was disbanded, LoSS was under terms, and you were in TAE.

I still very much enjoyed being your ambassador at TAE and BTA 2.0, it was a lot of fun :)