Profit from war

ShadowForcer

I just don't get it...how is it possible to profit from war in CN? You get nuked once and 150 infra and 50 tech is gone and that will take months to get back. I dropped from 50k to 3k strength from the New Polar Order conflict and lost 8k infra and 1.5k tech(plus the time between aid slots). That's about a billion dollars. IMO, no amount of tech raiding can compensate for war losses.

Edited by ShadowForcer

If it takes you months to recover 150 infra and 50 tech then you're doing it wrong.

But yeah, wars are not profitable if the enemy fights back. Well, it could still be profitable if all he successfully manages to do to you is launch cruise missiles. But with nukes.. no.

Edited by Viluin

[quote name='Viluin' timestamp='1317563904' post='2813831']
If it takes you months to recover 150 infra and 50 tech then you're doing it wrong.

But yeah, wars are not profitable if the enemy fights back. Well, it could still be profitable if all he successfully manages to do to you is launch cruise missiles. But with nukes.. no.
[/quote]

Lol, you're lucky to be nuked once...I on the other hand got nuked every single day until the war was over.

At low NS levels war can be pretty profitable, but as soon as you get some active enemy/enemies in nuking range, you can just forget about any other gains than political (your Alliance beats theirs and becomes mightily powerful, and all that bunk).

Of course, all the cool rulers measure gains in casualty increases, and for that nuke warfare in the higher ranks is pretty great.

Also join a raiding Alliance and swipe back all that Tech you lost :P

[quote name='ShadowForcer' timestamp='1317575899' post='2813929']
Lol, you're lucky to be nuked once...I on the other hand got nuked every single day until the war was over.
[/quote]
You can only get nuked once a day... on the other hand, you can do 6 offensive ground attacks per day. Depending on tech/land/infra levels, its possible to increase the net value of your nation even getting nuked every day. But yeah, not getting nuked makes things a lot easier.

[quote name='Velocity111' timestamp='1317584173' post='2813995']
You can only get nuked once a day... on the other hand, you can do 6 offensive ground attacks per day. Depending on tech/land/infra levels, its possible to increase the net value of your nation even getting nuked every day. But yeah, not getting nuked makes things a lot easier.
[/quote]

Not possible. A nuke destroys more tech than you can gain even with 6 ground attacks. The only thing you might get more of is land, and I doubt that will increase your NS enough to offset the losses.

Edited by Viluin

Alliance wars should only be looked at in terms of relative gains and losses eg. your alliance might take damage but you'll do more damage to your enemy.

Individual wars / tech raids are generally only profitable in the really low levels, before they are at nuclear-capable levels and if they won't fight back too much.

ShadowForcer, elaborating on your original post, I think that the miniscule gains of land and tech are not worth the risk of losing hundreds of infra and tech. But I must stress the importance of differentiating between alliance wars and individuals wars/tech raids.

War can be profitable if you pick the right target.

There are 4 things to look at:
1. Have a good war buddy
2. Find a rich nation at your ns
3. Make a successful spy attack to gather information
4. Get the target nation to surrender early.

Once your alliance is at war with someone, and there is a fire at will order in place, then buddy up with some one. Do a search, your looking for a nation with high tech or when you see a nation who is doing an infra jump. If you see 1999, 2999, 3999, etc.... then you have a person who is doing a jump.
Also, make sure your target is at your NS level, and a DEFCON level 5.

Do a spy attack, if that nation has 15 million or higher of a war chest, and is under 4k infra; attack that nation.

Get your buddy to lead the attack. If you lead the attack you will not get the most money and tech.

Make sure you can get that nation to surrender within 2 to 3 days. If you go after a nation who has high profits, and lots to lose he will quit in no time.

As a rule Drag the war for as long as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Viluin' timestamp='1317586646' post='2814039']
Not possible. A nuke destroys more tech than you can gain even with 6 ground attacks. The only thing you might get more of is land, and I doubt that will increase your NS enough to offset the losses.
[/quote]
Depends on the tech levels of the nations involved. I was gaining tech while fighting Legion nations in the NPO-DH war because they only had like 3-4k tech while I had about 10k.

Edited by flak attack