We'll always have Paris.

Hime Themis

[quote name='the rebel' timestamp='1316195220' post='2801650']
Whats snide about stating the obvious and nearly every day occurance in the world?

Just because im not brown-nosing doesnt mean i show any disrespect, so stop making a mountian out of a mole hill nippy and grow some thicker skin.
[/quote]

So edgy man. You really show how cool you are by talking back to power.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1316171450' post='2801493']
I fully support tech raiding, although I can see your point, Dame Themis. The other side of the coin, however, is that those that appear on Bob to take part in such a thing will pack up and leave if there's no possible way to cause destruction. I'm not sure of the ratios of techraiding nations to techraid targets, but there's never going to be a balance between the two. Many nations get bored and leave without having been raided. Many unaligned nations get bored and attack other unaligned nations. How would removing the fun from the aligned nations be beneficial to our total population?
[/quote]

I do believe there is something to both points of view, which is why I have never been quite completely anti-raiding.

But the current situation is bad all the way around. Raiders often appear to go out of their way to grief and destroy and humiliate their targets. The bad old customs we are still stuck with allow, even encourage, this. But it is not good for the community, and it isnt even good for the raiders either.

What I mean by that is, I think it's safe to assume that what raiders want is a world full of raidable nations at their range, no? Well as long as things continue to be done in the same old way, the results are hardly going to be different. Raiders hit way too hard with way too little grace and they impose such high rates of attrition that 'raidable' nations rarely exist above quite minimal NS ranges. And when you do find one, there's a good chance it is stocked and prepared for the apocalypse and more-or-less just waiting for you to hit. I may not be a raider myself but I think it's a safe bet this is not the kind of world the raiders really want, and indeed you mention that they sometimes drift off for simple lack of targets.

I know it's a radical idea, but if raiding rules were to change a bit around the planet, so that the raided were treated with more respect and had a chance to have a bit of fun too (without having to spend a year in a major alliance building warchest first,) you just might find that the planet as a whole started looking a lot more fun from the raiders point of view as a result. More targets at higher NS ranges and less political blowback.

I'm just sayin...

If you're going to go out at least check to see if you can get some backing first.
It makes the final days more fun, you really annoy the person you and your group of fighters attacked.

Especially, especially if it is Number 1 nation, that really really cares about the game.

[quote name='Sigrun Vapneir' timestamp='1316211150' post='2801791']
I do believe there is something to both points of view, which is why I have never been quite completely anti-raiding.

But the current situation is bad all the way around. Raiders often appear to go out of their way to grief and destroy and humiliate their targets. The bad old customs we are still stuck with allow, even encourage, this. But it is not good for the community, and it isnt even good for the raiders either.

What I mean by that is, I think it's safe to assume that what raiders want is a world full of raidable nations at their range, no? Well as long as things continue to be done in the same old way, the results are hardly going to be different. Raiders hit way too hard with way too little grace and they impose such high rates of attrition that 'raidable' nations rarely exist above quite minimal NS ranges. And when you do find one, there's a good chance it is stocked and prepared for the apocalypse and more-or-less just waiting for you to hit. I may not be a raider myself but I think it's a safe bet this is not the kind of world the raiders really want, and indeed you mention that they sometimes drift off for simple lack of targets.

I know it's a radical idea, but if raiding rules were to change a bit around the planet, so that the raided were treated with more respect and had a chance to have a bit of fun too (without having to spend a year in a major alliance building warchest first,) you just might find that the planet as a whole started looking a lot more fun from the raiders point of view as a result. More targets at higher NS ranges and less political blowback.

I'm just sayin...
[/quote]

To be honest, when I was at a much smaller NS (within daily techraiding range), I recruited quite a few of my targets. Embarassment and humiliation weren't on the menu unless the target raged in PMs. Yeah, sure...rage is normal when attacking the youth, or adults with an inferiority complex. I would much rather recruit someone that fit the bill than someone that would be appalled when recruiting to GOONS, honestly.

I just wish I had enough NS to jump on him before Kerdor did! :P

I may not know you well, but you're an ally nonetheless, this little scuffle was a fine example of why it's important to have friends in our world :) Whether they get you into fights, or get you out of them, they sure do bring better times than going out a loner.

:wub: