A NEAT Announcement

iamwalrus

[size="2"][center][img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6796/brownflagheadertext.jpg[/img][/center][/size]

[center]As Nations Empowered Against Totalitarianism we have been doing some internal reflection and have decided to pass this new foreign policy.

[quote]As Nations Empowered Against Totalitarianism it is our goal to ensure a just and ethical Digiterra which stands against the structure of violence and oppression which is manifested through the act of waging war for the purpose of tech, money, land, experience and/or boredom.† We recognize a right to life for all nations and thus can not and will not form Mutual Defense pacts with alliances who legalize these types of wars.

We expect our treaty partners to uphold a strict code of honor when it comes to war.† We recognize that the rights national leaders have to rule their nations, ends when the fist meets the face of an innocent man/woman.† No nation has the inherent right to invade, bomb, blockade, launch missiles or conduct acts of espionage against another nation who has initiated no act of violence.

We will invite all nations to reflect upon their policies of war and encourage them to take actions which move to protect the right to life.† We consider no individual nation evil and thus recognize that it takes extreme courage and enlightenment to free yourself from the oppressive structures that exist and have always existed in the world we know as Digiterra.[/quote]
[/center]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[center][img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj264/thericardo/NEATSC2.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][quote]Preamble

Members of The Sandwich Confederation (SC) and Nations Empowered Against Totalitarianism (NEAT) have established a long-term relationship of trust and friendship. In celebration of this relationship, and in order to assure that both alliances prosper, both hereby agree to abide by the following:

Article I: Sovereignty

SC and NEAT are, and shall remain, free and sovereign alliances -- independent of each other in both internal and external policies. Neither takes responsibility for the independent actions or statements of the other in public, or otherwise, unless explicitly identified as such.

Article II: Non-aggression

A state of peace shall exist between SC and NEAT.

Article III: Intelligence

Should either become aware of a possible threat that could cause harm to the other, they will inform the other via secure channels in a timely manner. Members of each alliance may share any additional information between themselves as desired.

Article IV: Military Action

Section 1: Mandatory

Should either signatory come under attack (military, spy or otherwise) that is not the result of treaty obligations with another alliance, the other signatory is required to help defend the first through military, diplomatic and/or financial assistance as requested.

Section 2: Non-Chaining/Optional

If one signatory becomes involved in a conflict via the activation of a treaty with another alliance or in some other fashion, the other signatory is not required to assist, but retains the option/right to do so.

Article V: Cancellation

Should either signatory see the need to dissolve this agreement, they shall notify the other signatory via their respective forums two weeks in advance.[/quote][/center]

Edited by iamwalrus

I doubt that this means NEAT or SC will be actively attacking tech-raiders. It means NEAT will no longer treaty tech-raiders. Good luck with this NEAT. At least with this, we know NEAT will not be laden with too many treaties or stuck in the center of any treaty web really.

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1315714789' post='2798513']
I doubt that this means NEAT or SC will be actively attacking tech-raiders. It means NEAT will no longer treaty tech-raiders. Good luck with this NEAT. At least with this, we know NEAT will not be laden with too many treaties or stuck in the center of any treaty web really.
[/quote]
Not giving them treaties is a step in the right direction though, since its all those treaties that let tech raiding alliances get away with whatever they want in regards to attacking small alliances and unaligned nations for no good reason without proper retaliation.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1315714899' post='2798514']
Not giving them treaties is a step in the right direction though, since its all those treaties that let tech raiding alliances get away with whatever they want in regards to attacking small alliances and unaligned nations for no good reason without proper retaliation.
[/quote]

Actually since tech raiding has been going on for years, I doubt treaties has a damn thing to do with it. Should NG, for example, hold absolutely no treaties and were to continue tech raiding I highly doubt that anyone would say a thing about it.

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1315715788' post='2798525']
Actually since tech raiding has been going on for years, I doubt treaties has a damn thing to do with it. Should NG, for example, hold absolutely no treaties and were to continue tech raiding I highly doubt that anyone would say a thing about it.
[/quote]
Them and alliances like GOONS wouldn't receive as much support as they do when people decide to fight them, rather than let their internal policies decide who they can attack whenever they want without being provoked. Although you will notice most tech raiding alliances are closely aligned and consider other tech raiding alliances as closer allies than non tech raiding alliances. However big alliances like Sparta, VE, MHA, ODN and others who treaty them set these tech raiders up to pretty much run the hegemony created by the treaty cluster, as the non tech raiding alliances allied to them don't seem to care what they are supporting as long as they feel safe.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1315730632' post='2798629']
It is ironic that those who are against tech raiders are also some of the people who seek to make digiterra "more interesting".
[/quote]

Absolutely. It is similar to those who strongly advocate for the sovereignty of all affiliations yet don't see a problem with trampling upon the sovereignty of alliances who they disagree with.

It is ironic that those who are against tech raiders are also some of the people who seek to make digiterra "more interesting".
[/quote]

Because rolling small defenseless nations for their tech make this world "more interesting". :rolleyes: Be a bit creative.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1315716549' post='2798534']
Them and alliances like GOONS wouldn't receive as much support as they do when people decide to fight them, rather than let their internal policies decide who they can attack whenever they want without being provoked. Although you will notice most tech raiding alliances are closely aligned and consider other tech raiding alliances as closer allies than non tech raiding alliances. However big alliances like Sparta, VE, MHA, ODN and others who treaty them set these tech raiders up to pretty much run the hegemony created by the treaty cluster, as the non tech raiding alliances allied to them don't seem to care what they are supporting as long as they feel safe.
[/quote]

The only time that ever actually happened was in the BiPolar War mate. Other than that, I don't see NEAT leading some sort of crusade against the tech-raiders. Mostly just because NEAT's direct allies are not raiders, does not mean that their indirect allies aren't as well. I know SC is allied to Basketball Ninjas which is allied to Gremlins through PF. Unless Gremlins changed this, Gremlins are a tech raiding alliance. NEAT is also allied to the International who are allied to TLR, and seriously if TLR does not raid...

So, what exactly is NEAT doing? Nothing really. I mean good on them for not directly allying tech raiders, but they have a decent amount of indirect ties, and these indirect ties could easily be used to get NEAT to defend a tech raiding alliance in a war. So, really, what has NEAT done exactly?

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1315756888' post='2798730']

So, what exactly is NEAT doing? Nothing really. I mean good on them for not directly allying tech raiders, but they have a decent amount of indirect ties, and these indirect ties could easily be used to get NEAT to defend a tech raiding alliance in a war. So, really, what has NEAT done exactly?
[/quote]

You are right, we are still allied to alliances who tech raid, but those treaties are not Mandatory clauses. Through non-chaining treaties and careful examination, we can be sure that our military actions stay true to our principles. More importantly what we have done is set a standard for ourselves which aligns our foreign affairs with our moral standards. We have also set a standard for those who wish to be treatied with us on a more intimate level. What have we done in the grand scheme of things? Probably not much (if anything), but what can we do as an alliance of 1 million NS, 21 members and 321 nukes?

[quote name='iamwalrus' timestamp='1315757896' post='2798732']
what can we do as an alliance of 1 million NS, 21 members and 321 nukes?
[/quote]

You do the only thing that is within your control: you lead by example. You can't control what others do, but you can control your own actions.

While I am ambivalent on the issue of tech-raiding -- I really don't see it as a defining or central issue on Bob, and it's certainly not a reason around which to structure one's entire foreign policy -- I nonetheless admire your noble commitment to a cause, and it's always refreshing to see someone making a genuine effort to remain morally consistent in a world where most people change their morality to suit the direction of the wind.

Cheers, NEAT.

-Craig

[quote name='Comrade Craig' timestamp='1315759732' post='2798740']
You do the only thing that is within your control: you lead by example. You can't control what others do, but you can control your own actions.
[/quote]

Exactly, and NEAT is one of the best alliances in the world at doing just this. They're always trying to make the world a better place for the downtrodden, and are quick to stand up for their beliefs.

If it doesn't go without saying, what with the combined announcement and all, we at SC support NEAT's move here fully. It was an easy decision to upgrade our treaty; the vote was quite lopsided. You really couldn't ask for better allies than NEAT.

[quote name='iamwalrus' timestamp='1315757896' post='2798732']
You are right, we are still allied to alliances who tech raid, but those treaties are not Mandatory clauses. Through non-chaining treaties and careful examination, we can be sure that our military actions stay true to our principles. More importantly what we have done is set a standard for ourselves which aligns our foreign affairs with our moral standards. We have also set a standard for those who wish to be treatied with us on a more intimate level. What have we done in the grand scheme of things? Probably not much (if anything), but what can we do as an alliance of 1 million NS, 21 members and 321 nukes?
[/quote]

I agree with Comrade Craig. Sorry if it seemed I was demeaning you, I was simply trying to set Methrage straight over how much of an impact this actually has. Over your alliance, it has tremendous impact obviously and for that you should be quite proud. On the world scene, it really does not make much of a splash, which is par for course for damn near any alliance. Even MK did basically nothing when they dropped almost all of their treaties.

[/quote]
Its only when people are willing to be against something that the political atmosphere will get interesting. Tech raids aren't interesting, just those who aren't able to put up a fight being victimized for the most part with a high possibility of being classified as a rogue if they fight back without being the leader of a large alliance.