Full Neutral...

Captain Enema

Curious on how to get a nation like mine into a full state of neutrality.. A respected state of Neutrality at that, sort of like Switzerland in WW2, minus the lame yodeling. The last round of bollocks in Africa convinced me I have very little interest in keeping up the appearances of bothering with much of what goes on.

Any ideas?

And this wouldn't completely apply to the for hire forces that Legion pimps out from time to time, not entirely sure how that would work.

But yeah serious question... needs serious answers..

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1315352813' post='2796005']
Botha mode?
[/quote]

Actually even Botha recognized there were situations where rp wars were unavoidable so it's not a great way to go full neutral.

Really the best way to get neutrality IC is by getting the world superpowers to recognize and protect your neutrality. If the key powers guarantee the neutrality smaller powers are unlikely to try anything.

Botha mode is lame mode, no offense, but I never have liked or endorsed such a dorkus form of putting your head in the RP Sand.

I mean yeah it worked for him, because it was him.. and he did it quite well.. I'll give him that, but it worked for him alone. I don't encourage anyone else to try it.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1315352235' post='2796003']
A respected state of Neutrality at that, sort of like Switzerland in WW2, minus the lame yodeling.[/quote]
You mean with more AWESOME yodeling!

[quote]
But yeah serious question... needs serious answers..
[/quote]
Claim neutrality. The only question is that when someone comes along and pulls a Hitler, do they respect your neutrality (Switzerland) or do they invade you anyways (Belgium).

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' timestamp='1315352590' post='2796004']
Switzerland still maintains a military
[/quote]
That country is militantly neutral. They have the draft, large weapons manufacturers, etc, yet they haven't been in a war since 1830. I've actually based my nation off Switzerland for a large part. :awesome:

Well, there's a couple ways Switzerland remained neutral, as I interpret it. Its military defense depended on the use of narrow passes, where a small group of soldiers could theoretically hold off a much larger group indefinitely. Two, it took money and gold from [i]everyone[/i], so that it could stay neutral because everyone was invested in it. Or at least that's how I recall it, I haven't read up on it in a very long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenbaum

So pretty much, the empires at that time weren't going to respect simply stating your neutrality. You had to make it difficult and, most of all, extremely unpleasant for any potential attackers.

And, coincidentally, the large nations of CNRP are much like those empires. So, preparations. Make it so by the time they get around to wanting your demise, they realize you have them by the balls.

Make it in everybody's best interest to allow you to sit in your corner and do your own thing.

Switzerland has this down to a fine art, in the renaissance Swiss mercenaries were regarded as being amongst the finest soldiers in the western world.
And they parleyed the this into becoming bankers because they could provide security that was second to none for their client's valuables and wealth which they had stored in their vaults.
So it was in the best interest of every western power to store their wealth with the banks that had the best security, and this gave the Swiss political leverage to get them to agree to honor the neutrality of the Swiss, because the Swiss had most of their money in their vaults as well as most of the money of their rivals.

(This is my take on history, and your mileage may vary...)

Edited by Prime minister Johns

[quote name='Vedran' timestamp='1315366471' post='2796144']
Well, there's a couple ways Switzerland remained neutral, as I interpret it. Its military defense depended on the use of narrow passes, where a small group of soldiers could theoretically hold off a much larger group indefinitely. Two, it took money and gold from [i]everyone[/i], so that it could stay neutral because everyone was invested in it. Or at least that's how I recall it, I haven't read up on it in a very long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenbaum

So pretty much, the empires at that time weren't going to respect simply stating your neutrality. You had to make it difficult and, most of all, extremely unpleasant for any potential attackers.

And, coincidentally, the large nations of CNRP are much like those empires. So, preparations. Make it so by the time they get around to wanting your demise, they realize you have them by the balls.
[/quote]

I agree with Vedran on this.