Top "war-ready" Alliances

jerdge

[b]Top "war-ready" Alliances[/b]

Maybe I was a bit bored, but anyway I pulled the data from the All Alliances Display page and I started sorting alliances based on (some of) their war-relevant stats.
I attributed them a score if they ranked top ten for [b]total nukes[/b], [b]tech per member[/b], [b]total WRCs[/b], [b]WRCs per member[/b] (keep in mind that I didn't collect WRC data for every alliance in the AAD, but I filtered them with a number of thresholds which would be annoying to repeat here, thus I might have missed someone - apologies).

The raw list (ranked from most to less "top ten rankings achieved", and secondarily for [b]tech per member[/b] and [b]total WRCs[/b] - in this order) is:

1) - The Order Of The Paradox

2) - Umbrella

3) - Créole
4) - OMFG
5) - The Grämlins
6) - The Prolific Empire
7) - Asgaard
8) - Mushroom Kingdom
9) - Fark
10) - Non Grata
11) - Sparta
12) - Independent Republic Of Orange Nations
13) - Mostly Harmless Alliance
14) - New Polar Order
15) - New Pacific Order

16) - The Order Of The Black Rose
17) - Green Old Party
18) - World Task Force
19) - Boards Alliance Of Protectorate States
20) - The Sweet Oblivion
21) - Orange Defense Network
22) - The Last Remnants

Of all alliances only one, TOP, is top ten in all the four categories mentioned above.

Umbrella is second, being top ten in three out of four categories (they rank "only" 16th for [b]total nukes[/b]).

Then there are a lot of alliances which are top ten in two of the four categories.
Créole, OMFG, The Grämlins, The Prolific Empire and Asgaard rank top ten for [b]tech per member[/b] and [b]WRCs per member[/b]; MK rank top ten for [b]total WRCs[/b] and [b]WRCs per member[/b]; Fark, NG, Sparta, IRON, MHA, NpO and NPO rank top ten for [b]total nukes[/b] and [b]total WRCs[/b].
The first two sub-groups are basically top heavy ("elite") while the ones in the third group excel for raw numbers (they all rank top ten for total members too, which is something none of the other above them do).

The fourth group includes the alliances which are top ten in only one of the four categories. They too can be divided in three sub-groups.
OBR, GOP and WTF rank top ten for [b]tech per member[/b] while BAPS and TSO rank top ten for [b]WRCs per member[/b]. Both are top heavy, but the first ones (probably because they're neutral or quasi-neutral) have more tech and less WRCs than the second ones.
It might be noted that it would be easier for the first ones to become top ten for [b]WRCs per member[/b] than for the second ones to become top ten for [b]tech per member[/b], as amassing tech is (generally) slower.
Last come ODN and The Last Remnants, which are top ten for [b]total nukes[/b].

[u]Additional thoughts:[/u]

I could very well have considered nukes per member instead, or in addition to, total nukes. There isn't (IMHO) any reason for which this shouldn't have made sense, however I decided that the capability to deal damage increased "more" with the total number of nukes, which probably can be distributed on more targets, than with the number of nukes per member, as one can target ~5 other nations per day, at most (first 24h+ are nuke free, wars last 7 days, 6 slots total, thus 6 * 6 / 7 ~ 5). The number of nukes per member is also capped at 25.
It remains debatable, anyway, others might think different.

This ranking is not meant to identify the "most competent" alliances, as obviously past history heavily influenced the possibility of alliances to amass tech, to grow their nation and to buy wonders and nukes, etc. It's just meant to take a picture of the state of alliance readiness "as is", independently from the reasons that made it so (which can still include "incompetence", of course).

[u]Notable exclusions:[/u]

The GPA ranks 12th for [b]total nukes[/b] and for [b]tech per member[/b] (and 14th for [b]total WRCs[/b]). VE ranks 11th for [b]total nukes[/b] and 15th for [b]total WRCs[/b]. Argent ranks 11th for [b]tech per member[/b] (but 20+ for the other categories). Symphony ranks 11th for [b]WRCs per member[/b] (and 15th for [b]tech per member[/b]).
One of these four could reach top ten in one category: either (GPA or VE) for [b]total nukes[/b], pushing The Last Remnants out of this "race"; or (GPA or Argent) causing Asgaard to drop from the second to the third group (Asgaard is 10th for [b]tech per member[/b]); or (Symphony) causing MK to drop from the second to the third group (MK is 10th for [b]WRCs per member[/b]).
Somebody should put a stop to these Green Team party poopers, by the way.

FOK ranks 16th for [b]total WRCs[/b] and 13th for [b]WRCs per member[/b]. The Rubber Ducky Division ranks 16th for [b]tech per member[/b] and for [b]WRCs per member[/b]. Nordreich ranks 15th for [b]total nukes[/b] and 19th for [b]total WRCs[/b].
The Nusantara Elite Warriors don't do bad either, being 17th for [b]total nukes[/b] and 17th for [b]total WRCs[/b], and finally The Legion also deserves a mention, ranking 18th for [b]total nukes[/b] and 18th for [b]total WRCs[/b].

(FAN and TPF also have quite some nukes but they aren't near the top ten for the other categories. I probably forgot to mention some people, but this is basically the thing.)

Comments? Criticism?

Free tech for my nation?
Okay okay, you greedy lot.

Edited by jerdge

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should had used nukes per member instead of total nukes and instead of total WRC use both SDI and MP per members, of course doing that the "elite" alliances will be in the first places, but would me more interesting to see than total numbers.

Also, I once was a member of GPA and I know exactly how you feel, for someone who is interested in this kind of status is extremely boring be in a neutral alliance, not matter how awesome GPA community is, I think is time to you left your hippie behavior behind and join an non neutral alliance.

Join NpO if you like to be where things happens or join Umbrella if you love your infra too much :P

Edited by D34th

I think your numbers are off.

Sparta has less than 1/4 of their members with WRCs, less tech per member, less nukes per member.

They have more nukes overall (at over 6 times the membership, I would hope so) However, they only have 3 times the WRCs, and not even 4 times th enukes, with a better than 6-1 advantage.

So not only are your numbers off, all they tell you is that if you recruit enough people, you get more things. Not who is ready for war.
In fact, I would say many of the listed alliances are LESS ready, considering what they SHOULD have, not "more" ready

[quote name='janax' timestamp='1314117491' post='2786894']
I think your numbers are off.

Sparta has less than 1/4 of their members with WRCs, less tech per member, less nukes per member.

They have more nukes overall (at over 6 times the membership, I would hope so) However, they only have 3 times the WRCs, and not even 4 times th enukes, with a better than 6-1 advantage.

So not only are your numbers off, all they tell you is that if you recruit enough people, you get more things. Not who is ready for war.
In fact, I would say many of the listed alliances are LESS ready, considering what they SHOULD have, not "more" ready
[/quote]

youre right but he said "War ready" in quotations meaning specific to this interpretation. Its obvious as you see GATO is not on this list :P

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1314117202' post='2786891']
I'm really drawing a blank here but what the hell is a WCR?
[/quote]
Working Class Ruler? :awesome:

But yeah, jerdge, your time as a Hitchhiker seems to have messed with your memory, Weapons Research Complex (or WRC) is the wonder, WCR is the person. :P

[color="#0000FF"]MHA should not be considered a war ready alliance. Sure, due to its size it will be a nightmare for attackers, but other than its size it has nothing. It can muster offensive wars, but not quickly. It takes a few days for MHA to get out any noticeable effort. The same is true of Sparta, to a lesser extent.

Also, WTF is completely useless. Sure, it is big, but it will not ever perform in a major war if it finds the courage to enter one.

As someone else mentioned, you excluded Pillowfort (except for TOP and Gre), and all those are great alliances. Even NSO, although lacking in size, is fairly war ready in terms of war chests, and especially activity (see our rapid militarization when Legion was on the verge of finding a spine and our first attacks on GOONS). Both STA and TPF are similarly competent at wartime, but were excluded from the list. My point is, size and numbers alone do not equate with readiness or competence.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1314118171' post='2786903']
[color="#0000FF"]MHA should not be considered a war ready alliance. Sure, due to its size it will be a nightmare for attackers, but other than its size it has nothing. It can muster offensive wars, but not quickly. It takes a few days for MHA to get out any noticeable effort. The same is true of Sparta, to a lesser extent.
[/color][/quote]This. Maybe MHA/Sparta can prove the rest of us wrong when the numbers are against you next war.

About alliances with "large" membership being "unprepared" I disagree. Remove all but the top layer of Sparta, IRON, MHA etc. and many would say they became "war-ready", while in fact they just became less apt to low-layers warfare.
Of course it's difficult to use a single "ranking" for everything, and the trade off between large membership and heavy top layer will remain an issue.

About not having considered the SDI and the MP, I just wanted to reduce the amount of work to be done by hand. Without having checked it I think that one can assume that (almost?) all the WRC-equipped nations also have the SDI and the MP.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1314118171' post='2786903']Even NSO, although lacking in size, is fairly war ready in terms of war chests, and especially activity (see our rapid militarization when Legion was on the verge of finding a spine and our first attacks on GOONS). Both STA and TPF are similarly competent at wartime, but were excluded from the list.[/quote]
Of course you'll know that I don't have data about anyone's warchests and activity?

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1314117154' post='2786890']Join NpO if you like to be where things happens or join Umbrella if you love your infra too much :P[/quote]
I don't especially love my infra, and for NpO - well - you had your occasion with me years ago and you missed it... :P
[spoiler]I know that I keep repeating it every time one of you tries to have me apply there: I joke in good spirit, if anyone finds it offensive please just tell me and I'll stop.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1314117804' post='2786899'][quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1314117202' post='2786891']I'm really drawing a blank here but what the hell is a WCR?[/quote]

Working Class Ruler? :awesome:

But yeah, jerdge, your time as a Hitchhiker seems to have messed with your memory, Weapons Research Complex (or WRC) is the wonder, WCR is the person. :P[/quote]
Talking of Freudian slips, anyone? (If that's the name of the thing, anyway.)

Edited by jerdge

If you're doing war readiness, it shouldn't be based on total anything. It should be based on averages. If you're doing some sort of total military power index, then you should include total. I would say that Asgaard is much more war-ready than MHA, but MHA is still a stronger power simply by virtue of being much larger.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1314123138' post='2786992']
I think MHA should be at the top of any list that anyone makes regardless of the subject. Those guys are solid. I think those guys could take MK/PF in a war easy.
[/quote]

I have to concur with my friendly paradoxian here. MHA are a beast, I'm sure they could take on the world (where is that picture!).

We lack a bit in averages, because we have some fluff. Once we lose our babyfat I'm sure we are one muscular baby.

I realize the fact VE is in the teens on several categories is why I noticed this, but the "Top 10" qualification is completely arbitrary. Establishing static cutoffs for tech ratios and WRC percentages would have given a much more accurate picture.

Someone needs to gather blitz stats, IRC activity levels, and spy thousands of nation's warchests so we can get an actual analysis of war preparation.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1314117154' post='2786890']

Join NpO if you like to be where things happens or join Umbrella if you love your [s]infra[/s] [b]TECH[/b] too much :P
[/quote]

fixed that for ya ;)

and ya might wanna go check Umbrellas infra levels before talking your nonsense

[quote name='Captain Flinders' timestamp='1314131420' post='2787090']
Clearly NoR is unprepared for war. Someone should declare on us.
[/quote]

It is also clear that Valhalla is unprepared for war. We should start a bloc together so we can be declared on together. :awesome: