How to revive CNRP

So, as a few people have suggested, CNRP numbers are dropping and that is bad. Now, I don't think that the situation is beyond repair. Now, any solution must involve 2 distinct parts.

1. We must get new players into CNRP. Mostly, this would involve a good bit of advertising. We need to attract more people to our obscure part of the forums. Remember, there are 30,000 people in CN, and I'm sure a good deal of them have enough time to devote to our game. Also, we should be trying to attract some of the people from the In-Game RP section of the forums. Many of them are really good Rpers, and would be great members of our community. Also, we need to really open some good land for newbies. North America and Africa are boring, and it is almost impossible to RP Antarctica well. Now, I know that many people want the same chunks of land (Germany, japan, England, Eastern Seaboard), but we we also really need to stop the spread of the mega-empires. A lot of you guys with enormous tracts of land only rp very small portions of it. It would be really great if you could break off some of your unused parts and turn them into protectorates. Also, STOP ANNEXING MORE LAND! It's totally fine to make more protectorates in anarchy lands, but you don't need more land that you won't rp in. Also, and this goes without saying, be nice to the noobies. Forgive some of their IC mistakes, and invite them into some one-on-one rps in the very beginning so that they can jump right into the swing of things.

2. We need to keep the people we have now. Yes, I know that we move on to more difficult parts of our lives, and many people can no longer spend the time RPing. However, many people I'm sure simply get bored. First of allow, do away with the pointless alliances. Yes, I know you are big, but that is no reason to form an alliance with another person simply because they are big too. Fascists shouldn't be making tight-knit alliances with monarchists or democracies. When you have PI, HAI, Germany, Novak, Slavorussia, UFE, Rebel Army, Vaule, and Cochin allied with each other, you have formed a bloc that is literally undefeatable and has cemented the world map basically until one of them accidentally goes over 25 days. Also, let Sarah have her damn aliens.

Now, discuss and offer your own ideas.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to get started in CNRP again, but there is no white space on the map for me to claim that is not a protectorate. If I could find an area equal to my area of influence across for me to drop my nation in and not have to beg for it and become someones puppet state I would jump at the chance.

Also I am a bit intimidated at RPing the community turned very nasty on me during the karma war and I have been wary of them ever since.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

Can't say much about the first point, but I believe everyone knows who the people referred in the second point are. Just hoping they would stop being as self-absorbed as they are now.

@ Johns: Can you tell me what happened? I might be able to get you some land around Oceania.

Edited by Kankou

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1313822788' post='2784934']
Can't say much about the first point, but I believe everyone knows who the people referred in the second point are. Just hoping they would stop being as self-absorbed as they are now.

@ Johns: Can you tell me what happened? I might be able to get you some land around Oceania.
[/quote]
I sided with the NPO in the karma war and lost everything , I rerolled my nation (I had no choice in this) and was removed from the map, I have been building up my strength again so that I can basically pick up where I left off in terms of strength. (I am less than a month away from regaining my nukes & fleet again)

Edited by Prime minister Johns

Gaining and holding territory is what drives the game. Personally I think we should abandon the map, but that would be impossible because it has become the blood in cnrp’s veins. Your second point would make more sense if it was true, but most of those people aren’t allied to each other. I am only allied to two people on that list and mostly because they’re my neighbors. Also monarchists and fascist work well together as long as the monarch sits in their palace and shuts the hell up.

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' timestamp='1313824314' post='2784947']
Gaining and holding territory is what drives the game.[/quote]
I don't care if you hold territory, as long as you actually use it. I make attempts to use every corner of my nation. I can't remember the last time Shadow rped in Argentina, or malatose rped in Kyrgyzstan, or Martens rped Scandinavia or Iceland. Remember, take what you can and use all you take.

[quote]Personally I think we should abandon the map, but that would be impossible because it has become the blood in cnrp’s veins.[/quote]
Pretty much, yeah. I would like a return to more character based RPs, with nations serving as little more than settings. Unfortunately, every nation has become a character, and yet character RP has dropped off a cliff.

[quote]Your second point would make more sense if it was true, but most of those people aren’t allied to each other. I am only allied to two people on that list and mostly because they’re my neighbors.[/quote]
Yes, but you're all intertwined. You may have two allies, but they have other large allies, and they have other large allies, and you all seem to get sucked into a conflict together.

[quote]
Also monarchists and fascist work well together as long as the monarch sits in their palace and shuts the hell up.
[/quote]
Well, an absolute monarchy and a fascist state are pretty much the same. However, I really don't think that a fascist state should be allied with a state that is democratic for the most part (do we have those?)

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1313825218' post='2784952']
Well, an absolute monarchy and a fascist state are pretty much the same. However, I really don't think that a fascist state should be allied with a state that is democratic for the most part (do we have those?)
[/quote]
Aren't they in your example? You know, Lavo/Malatose/Triyun.

@Kankou:

Nah, we're all just allied because we all really don't care for you actually. Thats the only thing keeping us from having a hawt three way nuke war.

@Melech:

I think that your point about land is well taken in a limited extent. I think that if your not ever using the territory, you could do well with giving it up (unless you can explain it in strategic terms, for example a strategic buffer of a mountain or jungle area.)

(btw I can point to using my lands in recent RPs)

However, I'd point out that the biggest problem is sadly made obvious in your title, we don't have 30, 000 players in CN anymore, we have 17, 000.

I also believe we should avoid banning what I call the progression of success. Take Germany for example. We say, everyone wants Germany but not everyone can have it obviously. Suppose Germany is broken up, everyone in Germany is going to want to reunify Germany. One guy may lie about it, but come on we all know they want to. If one person finally does, we should not say, "well free up prime land." and then make them start all over. I think that is unfair. I agree if you give the example of say Argentina in the HAE, I want to avoid though a spiral which doesn't reward decent RP to unify.

In regards to point two. Yes and no. I think that if players are rarely active, I've got little sympathy if they get their asses kicked. If players are new but active, they should be given a verbal warning first. However, I don't think that players get a blank check if they are new, and keep doing things to provoke a bigger player. If you aren't ready for a fight, don't [i]keep[/i] poking the bear.

As for alliances I think your analysis is off base there. Old players aren't allied because they are big, old players are allied because they've been around for a while and have worked out problems. Cochin and the UFE for example were mortal enemies for a long long time. It was only an alliance, and at first a frosty one, after strategic thinking changed and we basically agreed to live with one another. The same dynamic would likely have played itself out if Cochin and I were both 20k instead of 100k. Older players have bigger nations because they are older. But also as a function of age they've had time to work things out and are a bit smarter about how they play the game.

Also the world itself does not have ideological restrictions when it comes to alliances. The Nixonian America and Maoist China made an anti-Soviet alliance in the 1970s, and it was strengthened under Reagan the great anti-commie crusader. As for fascists, the Western Allies dropped the ostracization of Franco to strengthen the hand of anti-communism, and Mussolini tried to form an anti-Hitler pact with France and Britain.

If you want to shake things up, personally I think you need a new rising power, who can drill a hole in the MDP web, and get others to follow it. I currently see Axotolia, Rep of Africa, and Cajun Federation as the most likely candidates for this role. If you want a strong international dynamic it is created by a world where the have nots are willing to try and take from the haves and the haves are willing to defend it.

In regards to more character RPs, I agree I'd like to see more of them. That is up to each individual player though. I do think that these RPs have got to be more than having a cup of coffee, there need to be interesting storylines.

Edited by Triyun

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1313828373' post='2784969']
@Kankou: Nah, we're all just allied because we all really don't care for you actually. Thats the only thing keeping us from having a hawt three way nuke war.[/quote]
Tell me when the butt slapping starts. I want to be there to record it :)

@ Mael: That would be a good start.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1313828485' post='2784970']
Hrmm... PMJ Ireland?
[/quote]
I would be happy to take Ireland, but it looks like that area is being contested at the moment. And I do not think making a return by declaring war on what would be a close neighbor would be a good move. If I could think of some way to claim it without making an international incident out of it and ending my nation before it began I would.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1313828373' post='2784969']
@Melech:

I think that your point about land is well taken in a limited extent. I think that if your not ever using the territory, you could do well with giving it up (unless you can explain it in strategic terms, for example a strategic buffer of a mountain or jungle area.)

(btw I can point to using my lands in recent RPs)
[/quote]
The funny thing is that Triyun, although you have one of the largest and most diverse empires, you have actually RPed most of it. :awesome:

[quote]
In regards to point two. Yes and no. I think that if players are rarely active, I've got little sympathy if they get their asses kicked. If players are new but active, they should be given a verbal warning first. However, I don't think that players get a blank check if they are new, and keep doing things to provoke a bigger player. If you aren't ready for a fight, don't [i]keep[/i] poking the bear.[/quote]
Obvious antagonization of a larger player is of course going to get your ass beat. However, if they make a few little mistakes, I think OOC warnings are best. IC actions against small mistakes turn ugly real quickly.

[quote]Cochin and the UFE for example were mortal enemies for a long long time.[/quote]
I remember that. I was afraid I would have to go to war with you in defense of Cochin. :(

[quote]Older players have bigger nations because they are older. But also as a function of age they've had time to work things out and are a bit smarter about how they play the game.[/quote]
Fair enough. Although it would still be fun to have giant world wars again.

[quote]
Also the world itself does not have ideological restrictions when it comes to alliances. The Nixonian America and Maoist China made an anti-Soviet alliance in the 1970s, and it was strengthened under Reagan the great anti-commie crusader. As for fascists, the Western Allies dropped the ostracization of Franco to strengthen the hand of anti-communism, and Mussolini tried to form an anti-Hitler pact with France and Britain.[/quote]
But the problem is that we don't have a Kruschev or a Hitler in the world to facilitate these alliances of necessity. Justinian, Martens, get on it!

[quote]In regards to more character RPs, I agree I'd like to see more of them. That is up to each individual player though. I do think that these RPs have got to be more than having a cup of coffee, there need to be interesting storylines.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. Character RPs take a lot of imaginative input, and a large time requirement, and with school or college starting for most of us, I think we might see a dip in really all RP for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1313863273' post='2785140']
I'd like to thank you for including me in your "massive allies list that is destroying the world", when I am only allied to one person on that entire list (UFE). Please, if you are going to try and make a point, at least do some basic research first.
[/quote]
I think he meant, [i]IF[/i], all of the major players were allied together, there would be a problem.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1313863273' post='2785140']
I'd like to thank you for including me in your "massive allies list that is destroying the world", when I am only allied to one person on that entire list (UFE). Please, if you are going to try and make a point, at least do some basic research first.
[/quote]
No! I'm like FOX News. I say things confidently in the hopes that people believe me without doing additional research.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1313864627' post='2785153']
I think he meant, [i]IF[/i], all of the major players were allied together, there would be a problem.
[/quote]
No, I mean there is literally a massive treaty web that draws in all the major players. Even though they may not all share one big circular alliance, they drag each other in (actually, most people are more than happy to jump right into a conflict). If something goes on with PI, then the UFE will jump in. Because the UFE is in, their allies Rebel Army, Greece, and Dalmatia jump in. Because those guys are in, [i]their[/i] allies Germany, Slavorussia, and HAE jump in. And so on and so forth.

Yeah being the Middle Kingdom is pretty awesome. :smug:

In all seriousness though, an argument about CN RP can't be to ask the big players to suicide, by just fighting for no reason and not cooperating. You need people who will create compelling stories to shake things up.

Edited by Triyun

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1313867018' post='2785187']
Yeah being the Middle Kingdom is pretty awesome. :smug:
[/quote]
And that's why I'm your vassal. :awesome:

[quote]
In all seriousness though, an argument about CN RP can't be to ask the big players to suicide, by just fighting for no reason and not cooperating. You need people who will create compelling stories to shake things up.
[/quote]
I know that I can't expect the big guys to go commit suicide any more than they will expect me to do so (even though the resulting war would be totally freaking awesome). However, all I'm asking is that they actually RP the lands they take. If they don't, maybe let chunks of it go. If you take over the entire continent of Africa, and spend equal time rping the entire thing, I'd be alright with it. However, if you take over all of Africa and only RP the area around Cairo, then I have a problem with it.

Edited by KaiserMelech Mikhail

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1313866202' post='2785175']
No, I mean there is literally a massive treaty web that draws in all the major players. Even though they may not all share one big circular alliance, they drag each other in (actually, most people are more than happy to jump right into a conflict). If something goes on with PI, then the UFE will jump in. Because the UFE is in, their allies Rebel Army, Greece, and Dalmatia jump in. Because those guys are in, [i]their[/i] allies Germany, Slavorussia, and HAE jump in. And so on and so forth.
[/quote]
I can't remember the last time I've band-waggoned.

Can anyone remember the last time you did anything?

I remember back when I was playing last year, you had gone over 25 days inactive and no one noticed. Nothing happens in an entire continent for over a month and no one notices.

Edited by Sal Paradise

[quote name='Shadowsage' timestamp='1313879657' post='2785293']
[/quote]
I can. Well, actually I can't.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1313882995' post='2785332']I remember back when I was playing last year, you had gone over 25 days inactive and no one noticed. Nothing happens in an entire continent for over a month and no one notices.
[/quote]
To be fair, it is South America

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1313882995' post='2785332']
Can anyone remember the last time you did anything?
I remember back when I was playing last year, you had gone over 25 days inactive and no one noticed. Nothing happens in an entire continent for over a month and no one notices.
[/quote]
Show me when I've gone over 25 days. Can't? What a shame.
Get off your high horse. Some of us have things in real life to do.

[quote name='Shadowsage' timestamp='1313879657' post='2785293']
[/quote]
Um, two, three years ago? Three new RPers roflstomped a neighbor and angered enough major and minor players to trigger some treaty webs here and there? Then all three players got lol-EMPed and lol-nuked while getting roflstomped? I know it's somewhere in the old, archived News Report section.

Edited by HHAYD