CSN Announcement

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='magicninja' timestamp='1313437056' post='2781528']
Xiph's rules not ours. So Gibs got fired eh or was it that he couldn't handle the heat? Stay out of the kitchen I guess.
[/quote]
Or I'm busy and don't have much time to actually do anything anymore. Whatever helps you sleep at night, though.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1313438292' post='2781558']
Must be. In honour of this grand occasion I present OSC with a grand new flag, free of charge.

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/23jopph.png[/img]
[/quote]
Change your name to "New Seal Order" and use that as a flag.

[quote name='magicninja' timestamp='1313437056' post='2781528']
Xiph's rules not ours. So Gibs got fired eh or was it that he couldn't handle the heat? Stay out of the kitchen I guess.
[/quote]
Well Xiph didnt want someone who would stand up to him.

Sorry gibby!

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1313439949' post='2781605']
Change your name to "New Seal Order" and use that as a flag.
[/quote]
That would conflict with the goals of the New Sealab Order. :colbert:

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/1qmogx.png[/img]

However I could be bought off by finally signing the GOONSO treaty. :v:

[quote name='Sniper Joe' timestamp='1313441035' post='2781627']
The wit displayed in this thread is positively searing.
[/quote]

No better way to cook fresh meat than to sear it, don't you know?

Would you like a cooking lesson?

[quote name='Emperor Whimsical' timestamp='1313441616' post='2781641']
Don't you need permission first?
[/quote]
Permission? To demonstrate the proper way to sear fresh meat? Nonsense, I can do it right now:

Typically, searing the meat is done to caramelize the exterior, which will provide a richer flavor experience. The seared crust also improves appearance and provides a textural contrast that is also considered pleasant.

What searing does NOT do is to "seal in the juices." Moisture will escape the meat as long as it is being cooked, and cuts of meat seared early in the cooking process can actually lose [i]more[/i] moisture, compared to cuts left unseared. Therefore, one should not sear meat until the end of the cooking process.

To sear, one first cooks meat to just under a level of desired doneness. Then, place it over the hottest part of the grill or in a pan at a high temperature: too low of a temperature, and the meat will stick to the cooking surface. Leave it on the heat for a few minutes, then sear the other side. When searing in the pan, one can deglaze the drippings, or "fond", to create a delicious gravy that will compliment the meat.

When searing, be mindful of your cut: thinner cuts will require less time and also the addition of oil when pan-searing. Fatty cuts should be grilled with the fat side down first. By the same token, sear poultry skin side first.

Of course, after cooking, let the meat rest! Give the juices time to re-integrate with the proteins for best results. Five to ten minutes of rest is typically sufficient for most cuts.

There you go, no permission needed for that. Why you would think I'd need permission to reveal such a basic technique is beyond me. It's not like I'm letting on about The Dark Templar's secret blend of herbs 'n' spices that we use in all our dry rubs and marinades. [i]That[/i] stays secret, and there's no way I would ever [i]want[/i] to ask permission to reveal that alliance family recipe.

Holy !@#$ zzzptm. That was secret, and will remain secret. Even the most basic of searing techniques you learn in our cooking academy stay there. You are on double secret probation.