News From Yesterday

Skylar

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313393489' post='2781225']
and other readers/users:

Which format would you like to see NFY in? Which is easiest to skim through and find what you're looking for? etc
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Personally speaking I would prefer neither. I quite honestly find this endeavour of yours quite unnecessary.[/color]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1313393763' post='2781228']
[color="#0000FF"]Personally speaking I would prefer neither. I quite honestly find this endeavour of yours quite unnecessary.[/color]
[/quote]

You're entitled to your own opinion and I don't have a problem with you voicing it either. As it stands right now I think this is a cool idea, so do a few more users, and obviously a mod as well to have it pinned. So while you disagree (which hopefully I'll change ur mind) I think we will continue on working on this. Thanks for the input though

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313393971' post='2781229']
You're entitled to your own opinion and I don't have a problem with you voicing it either. As it stands right now I think this is a cool idea, so do a few more users, and obviously a mod as well to have it pinned. So while you disagree (which hopefully I'll change ur mind) I think we will continue on working on this. Thanks for the input though
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Very well then. Do not take my advice, and continue to waste your time if you would like. But do not say that I didn't warn you of the pointlessness of this effort when you finally come to the realization that you have wasted hours upon hours of your precious time working on something that no one will truly care about. If I were you I would focus my energies on something more productive, but I clearly am not you. How thankful I am that.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1313394514' post='2781234']
[color="#0000FF"]Very well then. Do not take my advice, and continue to waste your time if you would like. But do not say that I didn't warn you of the pointlessness of this effort when you finally come to the realization that you have wasted hours upon hours of your precious time working on something that no one will truly care about. If I were you I would focus my energies on something more productive, but I clearly am not you. How thankful I am that.[/color]
[/quote]

Kind of like you've wasted hours upon hours upon hours here on Bob and yet when Bob gets dark and you go back to where you came from you're still going to be a basement dweller. I'm wasting a whole 10 minutes a day updating this. How many years have you sat here?

You people really can't just.. be ok with something. You either hate it and tell us over and over or you love it. Also sorry RV I tried being respectful the first time and of course it was a waste of time.

Edited by Skylar

When the previous "New from Yesterday" thread was going on, I changed my bookmark to the CN forums to start me at that thread. I found it very helpful.

It won't do much, if anything, to help people like RV who spend hours a day on the forum. For people like me, who don't have time or interest to read every post in every thread, it made for a very useful way to get a quick summary of what is going on, and links to the threads if I wanted to read more.

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1313394942' post='2781237']
When the previous "New from Yesterday" thread was going on, I changed my bookmark to the CN forums to start me at that thread. I found it very helpful.

It won't do much, if anything, to help people like RV who spend hours a day on the forum. For people like me, who don't have time or interest to read every post in every thread, it made for a very useful way to get a quick summary of what is going on, and links to the threads if I wanted to read more.
[/quote]
Baldr summed this up nicely, even though I am one of those who spends hours a day on the forums.

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1313394942' post='2781237']

[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the detailed (and positive) response. That's obviously what I was looking for. Although I wasn't doing as well putting out those words so "nicely". Thanks again.

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313394626' post='2781235']
Kind of like you've wasted hours upon hours upon hours here on Bob and yet when Bob gets dark and you go back to where you came from you're still going to be a basement dweller. I'm wasting a whole 10 minutes a day updating this. How many years have you sat here?

You people really can't just.. be ok with something. You either hate it and tell us over and over or you love it. Also sorry RV I tried being respectful the first time and of course it was a waste of time.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Well, sweetling, it would appear you misunderstand my purpose. I suppose I should not be too hard on you, as it is a mistake that the simple can make easily. We all cannot be Rebel Virginia, and have such wisdom and seeing, nor such refinement and class. A pity you would have to turn on me with such vicious attacks after all the kindness I have shown you. I cannot help but worry that some terrible influences have befallen you, nor can I help but suspect that said influences have a name.

Still, as much as you would like to make this about me, perhaps out of some understandable desire of yours to be like me, I am afraid it simply is not so. Why you are doing this does lay within my comprehension: you wish to make a mark on this world. It make succeed, somewhat, as Mogar's unsettling appetite for you has made you a flavor of the day. It shall not last though. In the end you will be forgotten, absolutely. I will remain. For I am a constant. I was in the beginning, and shall be here in the end. I am timeless, unchanging, and immortal. I am Rebel Virginia.[/color]

So Baldr since you're someone who is a perfect user of this program. What do you feel would be the easiest navigation. Those of you who may also appreciate this thread I would love to hear your opinions too.

[quote]Sample 1.

Date

Treaty: X and Y signed Z
Notice: G cancelled their treaty with U
DoW: HHH declares war on HHH
[/quote]

or

[quote]Sample 2.

Date

Alliance Announcements
--- so and so did this

Open World RP
---- that guy has been here since the beginning.
---- etc etc etc

World Affairs
---- NFY Relaunched today[/quote]

Edited by Skylar

don't worry too much about RV. He likes to randomly blow smoke at people to pretend like he's important.

sometimes it works...

Personally, I think it'd be really good to have the three titles with subdivision (when needed)
For instance:

OWF:
Miao miao miao w/e no one reads this

Global:
Stuff meh

Alliance:
tab italic Treaty
I don't like vegetables accords link

tab italic Mergers and acquisitions
VE died :( link

tab italic Wars
BAWWWW link

It would also be REALLY helpful if someone could summarize the discussion in the threads that are like 60 pages briefly. I mean for real, I doubt most read those, but there's probably a lot of info in it.

Edited by zigbigadorlou

[quote name='zigbigadorlou' timestamp='1313421307' post='2781319']
don't worry too much about RV. He likes to randomly blow smoke at people to pretend like he's important.

sometimes it works...

Personally, I think it'd be really good to have the three titles with subdivision (when needed)
For instance:

OWF:
Miao miao miao w/e no one reads this

Global:
Stuff meh

Alliance:
tab italic Treaty
I don't like vegetables accords link

tab italic Mergers and acquisitions
VE died :( link

tab italic Wars
BAWWWW link

It would also be REALLY helpful if someone could summarize the discussion in the threads that are like 60 pages briefly. I mean for real, I doubt most read those, but there's probably a lot of info in it.
[/quote]

All I can say is... :blink: what?

ha I'll try again:

[b]Alliance Politics[/b]:
[i]Treaties[/i]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0]I don't like vegetables accords [/url]

[i] Mergers and acquisitions[/i]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0]VE died :( [/url]

[i]Wars[/i]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0]BAWWWW [/url]

[quote name='zigbigadorlou' timestamp='1313421307' post='2781319']
[/quote]

Ya know. I disagree with the term "a lot" in this sentence. Only being here a short time I have read every post on some of those 60 page threads. I've so far learned absolutely nothing from them except how to say "no you" in 4 different languages. :P

I like your format idea. We should use this thread to also think of ways to "improve" this idea. Maybe somehow make it appeal to everyone. Any ideas?

Then once we decided exactly how everything will be done we could start us a fresh one with out the bickering and such.

Edited by Skylar

[quote name='Crazyman93' timestamp='1313379641' post='2781095']
[size="4"]This is a great idea, people will see it every day and re-[/size]
What?

No one reads the forums regularly unless there's a huge war going on or about to start?
Oh... So what's this for again?
[/quote]

The casual players likes threads like these

[quote name='Sarmatian Empire' timestamp='1313423383' post='2781335']
The casual players likes threads like these
[/quote]

Thanks Sarmatian Empire.

Since you're here, mind throwing any suggestions out that could possibly improve this? or maybe even a suggestion to expand it? or anything in particular you'd like to see in the format?

[b]If you are not contributing to ideas of how to format this thread or reporting news, you need to stop derailing this thread. This thread is not for commentary on author or RIA. Stick to the topic or your warn level will be in danger. [/b]

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313424060' post='2781337']
Thanks Sarmatian Empire.

Since you're here, mind throwing any suggestions out that could possibly improve this? or maybe even a suggestion to expand it? or anything in particular you'd like to see in the format?
[/quote]

You could recap some of the moves in the sanction race...like alliance x passing alliance y

[quote name='Sarmatian Empire' timestamp='1313428393' post='2781387']
You could recap some of the moves in the sanction race...like alliance x passing alliance y
[/quote]
Unless its crazy, I think this would be redundant. A simple link to the stickied thread would probably suffice. Those that care enough can look there and pretty quickly see what they're looking for.

[quote name='zigbigadorlou' timestamp='1313436653' post='2781513']
Unless its crazy, I think this would be redundant. A simple link to the stickied thread would probably suffice. Those that care enough can look there and pretty quickly see what they're looking for.
[/quote]

Well that depends one what kind of player you are. Lets face facts, 90% of the people here infact dont "care enough" to look at different threads. They gotta click the sanction race everyday to see if it was updated, they gotta go into alliance announcements and look at the different threads and read the OP because the title of the thread wasnt something simple like Legacy - NoR ODP. So the casual player, who just wanted to take a minute out of his or her day to see the basics, could come here.

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313397792' post='2781248']
So Baldr since you're someone who is a perfect user of this program. What do you feel would be the easiest navigation. Those of you who may also appreciate this thread I would love to hear your opinions too.
[/quote]

Of those, I like the 2nd option better. But I'm not picky, as long as there is a basic description of the thread, and an easy to click link.

Also very useful, since many people who will use this sort of thing will *not* read it every day, is links to previous older news.

This is the old format, which worked pretty well IMO.
[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90318"]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90318[/url]

That section under "Links to old news" is very useful, and should be easy to do.

Someone mentioned including stuff from the Great Sanction Race. I don't think I'd bother. I'd just put an easy link to get there.

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1313458254' post='2781867']
Of those, I like the 2nd option better. But I'm not picky, as long as there is a basic description of the thread, and an easy to click link.

Also very useful, since many people who will use this sort of thing will *not* read it every day, is links to previous older news.

This is the old format, which worked pretty well IMO.
[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90318"]http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90318[/url]

That section under "Links to old news" is very useful, and should be easy to do.

Someone mentioned including stuff from the Great Sanction Race. I don't think I'd bother. I'd just put an easy link to get there.
[/quote]

One thing the old layout had was a direct link to the the Sanction Race for that specific day. Think that would work?

Also, I reserved the second post for old links

[quote name='Skylar' timestamp='1313393489' post='2781225']
Super Cool Yellow and other readers/users:

Which format would you like to see NFY in? Which is easiest to skim through and find what you're looking for? etc

[spoiler]
[center][size="7"][font="Impact"][color=maroon][b]NEWS FROM YESTERDAY[/b][/color][/font]
-------------------------------------------[/size]
[size="6"][color=darkred][u][font="Times New Roman"][b]August 14, 2011[/b][/font][/u][/color][/size]
[/center]
[center][size="4"][b]Alliance Announcements[/b][/size]
[size="3"]
No Alliance Announcements.
[/size]

[size="4"][b]World Affairs[/b][/size]
[size="3"]
[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=104497"]New Frontier reaches 2,000 days in Cyber Nations[/url][/size]
[center][size="7"]-------------------------------------------[/size][/center][/spoiler]

OR

[spoiler][center][size="7"][font="Impact"][color=maroon][b]NEWS FROM YESTERDAY[/b][/color][/font]
-------------------------------------------[/size]
[size="6"][color=darkred][u][font="Times New Roman"][b]August 14, 2011[/b][/font][/u][/color][/size]
[/center]

[size="3"]
[b]Treaty:[/b] X & Y Signed a MDoAP
[b]Notice:[/b] Z just cancelled their treaty with A[/size]

[size="7"]-------------------------------------------[/size][/center][/spoiler]
[/quote]
I'm actually a fan of the first for reasons of aesthetics, and it's still got enough information for me to figure out what's going on.