Clarification on image spam policy

uaciaut

This mostly has to do with [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=104364&view=findpost&p=2776687"]this post[/url] being accepted as image spam when it does in fact have content and meaning. I don't think this is the first time two alliances decided to go for an aesthetical touch and decide to have their treaty done in an image and i have seen, in the past, short posts being made that had content and thus didn't get warned, so i don't understand how that treaty declaration was something warn-worthy. Will the rule be enforced to the letter now regardless of content in a post?

This is a most important matter to me, the Emperor of UPNUPF, and I will watch closely how this unfolds. Depending on the outcome it may have serious ramifications to the declarative customs of the great nation of UPNUPF.

I frankly have to strongly disagree with this ruling, as a case of the rules doing more harm than good.

The rules, clearly, are in place to drive the production of content. They are supposed to improve creativity and prevent people from posting stand-alone "reaction images" as is done on, say, an imageboard like 4chan.

The post in question very clearly contains a significant amount of content, it is well thought out and original content, presented in a unique and visually appealing way - In fact, the visual appeal would be lost if a short and meaningless blurb of text was added at the end for "rules compliance."

The moderation staff is composed of people rather than scripted bots, in order to make judgement calls on things like this. Rules serve to make everything nice and orderly, not to stifle creativity.

There are written and unwritten exceptions to every rule, and in the distant past, the staff have treated the image-only presentation of treaties and other important documents as one such noted exception.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to discuss this, I had no real desire to create a potentially "spam" thread in Moderation discussing the same topic as this thread. Perhaps this could be moved to that location to open up a dialogue? I'll start a new thread if you tell me to, however.

While I think it's fine, personally, if the mods don't all they would need to do is add the text in a spoiler tag at the end. It wouldn't interfere with their fancy presentation and it would help for people who don't like reading the fancy image (especially people on mobile devices).

This has long been the rule for image spam. If it does not contain any text and merely an image, then it is image spam. If you wish to start a moderation discussion, do so in the moderation forums. Question answered, locking.