Ideas on Revitalizing CN

Tigerking

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1311787257' post='2765363']
The gameplay mechanics need to change. Aid amounts need to be updated; new stuff to build; changes to war; etc.

If I had to choose one change to make, it would be to make war far less damaging. I'd advocate reducing damage by 75%. With the tech bonus, WRCs, and unrestricted nuclear warfare, an alliance at war can lose 50% of its strength in a week. That makes war a huge risk. If it were far less damaging--as it was in the days before the tech bonus--we'd see many more brush wars and far less hesitance to commit without massive support. In today's wars, there's a clear winner and a clear loser, and that demotivates people from fighting. If war were far less damaging, an alliance could lose a war but not be reduced to rubble. That would make taking risks easier, and it'd also reduce stagnation by not removing defeated parties from political significance for long periods of time.
[/quote]
Big wars already last upwards of 3 months now. Do we really want wars to last upwards of a year?

Less damage means more time needed to reduce an alliance to "rubble", removing them from "play" as a political power. This means either a) reps get further increased to ensure the "bad" stay down and are out of the politics due to lacking in game stats to back them up, b) wars increase in length from the current ~3 to 4 months to nearly 4 times that, or c) alliances will be even less willing to fight wars because it takes too long to destroy enemies/potential enemies, etc.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just retain players. It's simple. If the community shuns anyone new who comes in saying something stupid, they're not going to stay. If someone decides to be nice and hold that person's hand, that's one new player. Stop being dicks and everything will be fine.

[quote name='MaGneT' timestamp='1311795438' post='2765484']
Just retain players. It's simple. If the community shuns anyone new who comes in saying something stupid, they're not going to stay. If someone decides to be nice and hold that person's hand, that's one new player. Stop being dicks and everything will be fine.
[/quote]

This, this, a million times this. People won't stay in a game where they get kicked out/shunned/alliance forced to disband. These tactics should stop.

Then again.. maybe we should stop those who are doing that and make things interesting. :awesome:

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1311799026' post='2765520']
Oh look, this thread again. <_<
[/quote]
Yeah, thanks for that. That really made a point.
Either contribute something actually worthwhile, report this to the mods so they can shut this whole thread down for repeat content, or simply don't post at all.
Simple enough for you?

Edited by Tigerking

[quote name='Vladisvok Destino' timestamp='1311766586' post='2765109']
There ends the thread.

If you think CN is boring/dying/in need of revitalisation/whatever else. Then stop making topics about "we must do something about it" and actually [i]do something about it.[/i]
[/quote]

Kind of hard to do anything when the main problem with CN is that it's so incredibly boring because of the lack of mechanics changes or updates that people have been request for years. That's one of my major problems with CN, and while it might not be all that concerning to you personally, I know it's a big problem with [i]a lot[/i] of other people.

Ive always beleived that CN is more entertaining and captivating when you have more smaller scale wars.

Anything that encorages that to happen will entertain people more and less will quit the game.

Long drawn out wars that take 3 months to fight and 6 months to pay off with reps kill the game.

Also long extended periods of peace lasting over say 4 or 5 months makes the game very dull as well.

If someone can come up with a majic formula that leaves us with a short one month war every 3 or 4 months with limited reps at the end that would be awesome. I dont think I totally have the answer to that apart from reducing the number of treatys each major alliance has (at present no one can sneeze without chaining in half the treaty web via defence clauses) also act like a good sport during war as well helps. If youve pounded an alliance and they want to surrender just let them. Dont make them force a % of people out of pece mode to fight another month or repay 6 months of tech in reps. Just have your war, grab maybe a couple cycles of reps if you want and move on. CN admin wise perhaps the mods could consider creating a new wonder that reduces the cost to rebuy infra lost in wars to speed up recovery. Like a peak infra wonder so if you have 5000 infra and fight down to zero that 5000 infra costs 30% less to rebuy the second time around.

All ideas...

Edited by King Wally

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' timestamp='1311801383' post='2765545']
Put all players into two alliances, either Terrorists or Counter-Terrorists. This will resolve all the problems currently facing the community.
[/quote]

Alright I laughed.

Like many of us, this is not the only game I play. I am staff on one that brought me here. And one thing we have found out is that if you keep things changing, bring in new things, you help keep interest alive. It doesn't even have to be changes the hugely impact game play, just something for people to strive for.

Do you remember when Moon/Mars wonders went in? and people scrambled to buy them and figure out this hotspot thing. Now, they're sort of old hat and hotspots get posted within hours of when they change. Or how people snapped up Naval vessels.

Put in new, complex wonders that cost money and time and maybe even barely will pay for themselves over time. Put in something between improvements and wonders, that you still can only buy 1 every so often. There are tons of good ideas in the suggestion box. Just need Admin to pick put some and code them.

[quote name='Tigerking' timestamp='1311800272' post='2765530']
Yeah, thanks for that. That really made a point.
Either contribute something actually worthwhile, report this to the mods so they can shut this whole thread down for repeat content, or simply don't post at all.
Simple enough for you?
[/quote]

Actually, it did. We get these stupid threads at least once a month nowadays, and it all turns into everyone blaming everyone else. Almost always, the mods end up locking it because it's not helping the situation to sit around and whine while accomplishing nothing. The biggest problem in CyberNations is the lazy, entitled player-base who refuse to lift a finger to do anything short of damning Admin or the Mods or micro alliances and blaming everyone for their problems but themselves. Oh, and how could I forget about blaming moralists?!

All anyone wants to do is sit around and talk about how the ~end is coming~ and I'm sick of hearing about it. Meanwhile, in the Water Cooler, [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=103624]I tried to contribute something to help bring in members to the community.[/url] Check out how it was received by this group of whining children, who have absolutely no ideas that require themselves to do any work. What a funny coincidence.

That simple enough for you, bro?

Edited by Hereno

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1311757766' post='2765065']
Banning people who post topics like this rather than making things interesting on their own boards.

Create your own drama if you can't get enough here.

Srsly.
[/quote]
Really? Instead of someone posting the usual "This is ruining CN" topic someone actually made a thread to discuss ideas on what to do about it. It may not be the best approach but it's definitely a step up from the usual bull%&* we get.

Chill Out.

Edited by EpsilonPhoenix

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1311823390' post='2765869']
All anyone wants to do is sit around and talk about how the ~end is coming~ and I'm sick of hearing about it. Meanwhile, in the Water Cooler, [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=103624]I tried to contribute something to help bring in members to the community.[/url] Check out how it was received by this group of whining children, who have absolutely no ideas that require themselves to do any work. What a funny coincidence.
[/quote]
Still sore eh?

[quote name='Hereno' timestamp='1311823390' post='2765869']
Actually, it did. We get these stupid threads at least once a month nowadays, and it all turns into everyone blaming everyone else. Almost always, the mods end up locking it because it's not helping the situation to sit around and whine while accomplishing nothing. The biggest problem in CyberNations is the lazy, entitled player-base who refuse to lift a finger to do anything short of damning Admin or the Mods or micro alliances and blaming everyone for their problems but themselves. Oh, and how could I forget about blaming moralists?!

That simple enough for you, bro?
[/quote]
Hereno, I deliberately tried to structure this thing so we could debate and think about ways to solve the problem INSTEAD of having everyone blame everyone else. Blame solves nothing here. I am not interested in blaming the admin, the mods, the micros, the moralists, or anyone, because that ISN'T PRODUCTIVE. I'm sorry your plan fell through (and looking at it, it looked like a good one), but I had nothing to do with it, and honestly, this is making you look less like you have an actual point and more like you're just bitter. Also, way to insult your fellow players there, you just leveled more blame than anyone has yet in this whole thread.
I'm sorry this thread evidently struck such a sensitive nerve for you, but please, either contribute something or just leave.
ANYWAY
[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1311824518' post='2765893']
I suspect that at some point there will be a happy medium found for the game and the nation count will level off and stay there.

There are like 17,000 nations for Pete's sakes. This is not a small number.
[/quote]
True, it isn't a small number, and the game still functions the same basic way it has been. I hope we do find a happy medium, but the number just keeps falling. Are you anticipating that the medium will be above or below current numbers though?

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1311787257' post='2765363']
The gameplay mechanics need to change. Aid amounts need to be updated; new stuff to build; changes to war; etc.

If I had to choose one change to make, it would be to make war far less damaging. I'd advocate reducing damage by 75%. With the tech bonus, WRCs, and unrestricted nuclear warfare, an alliance at war can lose 50% of its strength in a week. That makes war a huge risk. If it were far less damaging--as it was in the days before the tech bonus--we'd see many more brush wars and far less hesitance to commit without massive support. In today's wars, there's a clear winner and a clear loser, and that demotivates people from fighting. If war were far less damaging, an alliance could lose a war but not be reduced to rubble. That would make taking risks easier, and it'd also reduce stagnation by not removing defeated parties from political significance for long periods of time.
[/quote]
To be honest it is more than the game mechanics that removes a defeated alliance from political significance, The whole bandwagon effect has a lot to do with that, if an alliance knows another alliance is marked for death and has a bloc against them, waiting for an excuse they are not going to want to sign any kind of treaty with them in case they share their fate and they sign with the dominant bloc instead compounding the problem.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

[quote name='EpsilonPhoenix' timestamp='1311823670' post='2765872']
Really? Instead of someone posting the usual "This is ruining CN" topic someone actually made a thread to discuss ideas on what to do about it. It may not be the best approach but it's definitely a step up from the usual bull%&* we get.

Chill Out.
[/quote]

Yes really.

This is the dime a dozen thread that suggests things that the admin do rather what this individual person do to fix the game.

If you're not having fun, don't play.

You won't be missed.

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1311843337' post='2766046']
Yes really.

This is the dime a dozen thread that suggests things that the admin do rather what this individual person do to fix the game.

If you're not having fun, don't play.

[b]You won't be missed.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes. This belongs in this thread. Thankyou for being a nice example, today.

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' timestamp='1311772451' post='2765169']
Nothing can be done.[/quote]
This I agree with. Just chill and play the game

[quote]Give it up and enjoy this last war (if it ever happens).
[/quote]This I don't agree with. People said the last war was going to be the last war.