Cup of Nations VI OOC Thread

How exactly are games calculated, through RP or rolls? I'm curious given the fact that I'm likely one of the last players to sign in and by that virtue will most likely end up with one of the worse teams entered.

[quote name='Owned-You' timestamp='1309996564' post='2750811']
How exactly are games calculated, through RP or rolls? I'm curious given the fact that I'm likely one of the last players to sign in and by that virtue will most likely end up with one of the worse teams entered.
[/quote]

The games are RP'd out using FIFA 2010 on the XBOX360. Once a team has their final stars rank (from their world rank/RP bonus from the last tourney/random bonus-deduction) a team is picked randomly from the FIFA 2010 list that matches that star rank. The game then randomly generates the groups and I merely place myself as controller of every team and then have the game sim each match. I record the stats/results and post them here.

RP bonuses are given to those who RP throughout the tournament. The more you RP, the higher your bonus (up to 1 star). If you don't RP, it doesn't hurt you, you just don't get the bonus.

So, basically, your team will be at a base of 1 star (unless we get a whole slew of new teams signing up), and then with the random number generator, you'll have the chance to either stay the same, gain a half star, or gain a full star. 1 star teams cannot lose anything (same as 5 star teams not being able to gain anything).

Hope that answers your questions.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1310006372' post='2751035']
The games are RP'd out using FIFA 2010 on the XBOX360. Once a team has their final stars rank (from their world rank/RP bonus from the last tourney/random bonus-deduction) a team is picked randomly from the FIFA 2010 list that matches that star rank. The game then randomly generates the groups and I merely place myself as controller of every team and then have the game sim each match. I record the stats/results and post them here.

RP bonuses are given to those who RP throughout the tournament. The more you RP, the higher your bonus (up to 1 star). If you don't RP, it doesn't hurt you, you just don't get the bonus.

So, basically, your team will be at a base of 1 star (unless we get a whole slew of new teams signing up), and then with the random number generator, you'll have the chance to either stay the same, gain a half star, or gain a full star. 1 star teams cannot lose anything (same as 5 star teams not being able to gain anything).

Hope that answers your questions.
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to RP'ing the young-upstarts mucking it up ingame.

Games will mostly likely start tomorrow.

Question to all participants. We have 20 teams. Therefore, there will be an 8 team playoff to get into the real tournament with the top 4 getting in and the bottom 4 going home. Do we want to do this with only the new teams (the 9 new teams would all be assigned random numbers, the eight lowest would participate in the play-in) or do we want to do this with ALL teams (every team assigned a random number, lowest eight go through the play-in)? Both have their pros and cons. Having all teams go in could knock a relatively strong contender out before the tourney even starts if the cards fall right. On the other hand, it could also just see four weaker squads get crushed by four stronger squads forced to play-in. While the eight newest teams would certainly be more even, they might not produce the best football in the play-in.

Let me know what you think. I'll be doing this all tomorrow so responses are helpful.

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1310082444' post='2751757']
How about the top 8 teams qualify automatically and the random number method for everyone else? That way the best teams will still be in it while the lower teams are mixed up a little.
[/quote]

I'm fine with this or any method really.

Per my conversation on IRC (which Sarah can attest to), at 12:07 EST I randomly generated 20 numbers and then read them top to bottom for each team. This is how teams were assigned their random +- stars. Teams were assigned their number in the order they signed up. The final results were:

# of Sign Up/Nation Name/Random Number/Star +-
1. Empire of Pravus Ingruo 1 -1
2. England 4 +.5
3. Commonwealth of Africa 5 +1
4. Corporate Republic of Ceylon 5 +1
5. Marscurian Siberia 1 -1
6. le Royaume de la Lumière 4 +.5
7. Serene Republic of Vaule 2 -.5
8. Slavorussian Empire 2 -.5
9. West African Republic 4 +.5
10. Principality of Monaco 4 +.5
11. Athenian Federation 2 -.5
12. Zargathia 4 +.5
13. New Republic of Ireland 4 +.5
14. Grand Papua 5 +1
15. People's Republic of Selenarctos 4 +.5
16. New Spain 2 -.5
17. Germanic Union 1 -1
18. Austrian Empire 4 +.5
19. The People's Republic of Africa 1 -1
20. MoG[Corp] 2 -.5

Just a reminder, teams can be no lower than 1 star and no higher than 5 stars. Actual stars will not be posted.
Picture available upon request for anyone who doesn't believe me.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1310144217' post='2752589']
Not quite. The "2" is not your starting star rank. It was the random number you generated, which translated into a -.5 star loss from your original star rank.
[/quote]

Oh, I see. Would you mind sending me my star ranking through PM? I'm curious now...hehe