Destroying the Space Elevator

Generalissimo

Destroying the Space Elevator  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1309465267' post='2745289']
Question: if I started a nation and then used that land to build a giant statue of a monkey's ass, how many other players do I need helping me to make it a communal wonder and therefore indestructible?
[/quote]
Seven. You need seven people.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1309471516' post='2745344']
Does it matter who these seven people are? I'm pretty sure Kankou wouldn't count as a person in the community's calculations, right?
[/quote]
she counts as negative people, you have to get three additional people to make up for her.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1309470537' post='2745331']
Sorry, Cochin, your ruling's !@#$%^&*. I won't be following it. With sufficient RP, anything can be destroyed. End of story.
[/quote]
This.

I can RP New York City, Beijing, Imperial Center, or Colombo being razed and converted into farmland, and those cities are a lot more expensive and harder to level than the space elevator.

Now if I only had the incentive and sufficient amount of firepower to take on most of the world...

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309480752' post='2745453']
This.

I can RP New York City, Beijing, Imperial Center, or Colombo being razed and converted into farmland, and those cities are a lot more expensive and harder to level than the space elevator.

Now if I only had the incentive and sufficient amount of firepower to take on most of the world...
[/quote]

Beijing you actually can't, though it's highly encouraged you try.

I was torn between sufficient RP and circumstances; as while you can have something that's RP'd out well, the circumstances (namely silly OOC and roguing) can drag it down. Though really if you're at war with me or have some other legit reason I'm of the opinion that it is destroyable; nothing is invincible. Though I will note that Rebel Army does not maintain a military presence in the region; only well-armed police. In addition it also refuses to use the area as a staging ground in times of war, choosing to maintain it as a real DMZ due to it's global value.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1309460100' post='2745222']
If the space elevator is communal can it be used communally? Can I RP a group of strangers getting stuck in the elevator who, in order to pass the time and reassure themselves, reveal imitate details of their lives and grow together as human beings? [s](and then get sucked out into space, exposed to cosmic radiation and return to Earth with super powers?)[/s]
[/quote]
Assuming they are part of an actual national space organization (the Space Elevator isn't allowed to be used for commercial purposes), yeah sure, minus the last part.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1309470537' post='2745331']
Sorry, Cochin, your ruling's !@#$%^&*. I won't be following it. With sufficient RP, anything can be destroyed. End of story.
[/quote]

Umm, what part of "possible to be destroyed after community consensus and bonafide RP and not just for the whim of RP vandalism" is so difficult to understand? And yeah, the explecit referenced ruling of mine have been the undecided rule of CNRP for quite some years now. So my dear fellow, get your facts right.

And Generalissimo, it was completely unfair of you to reference just one post of mine in starting a thread in such a venal style. Because of that people with reading incomprehension disorder are getting getting their undergarments in a twist.

Sure you wanted a community poll, but it need not be done in a tarnishing way.

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1309488364' post='2745538']
Umm, what part of "possible to be destroyed after community consensus and bonafide RP and not just for the whim of RP vandalism" is so difficult to understand? And yeah, the explecit referenced ruling of mine have been the undecided rule of CNRP for quite some years now. So my dear fellow, get your facts right.

And Generalissimo, it was completely unfair of you to reference just one post of mine in starting a thread in such a venal style. Because of that people with reading incomprehension disorder are getting getting their undergarments in a twist.

[/quote]

What part of GMs can't make up rules without community agreement is so difficult to understand? Your ruling has not now nor ever been an undecided rule of CNRP. I've been here for, what, twoish years now? SMH more than that. In that time, there has never been a community understanding that you can not destroy the Space Elevator - no one has gone after it because it's owned by Lavo and they don't want to deal with him and his allies. Had they done so however, then the Space Elevator like anything else in CNRP would be able to be destroyed. You're a GM that made a ruling well beyond his power to do so if a thread like this upsets you then perhaps you will think twice before trying to pull a feat like this again.

Edited by Yawoo

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1309488364' post='2745538']

[/quote]
Again, [b]anything[/b] can be destroyed.

If someone really wanted to, they can turn the Rocky Mountains into the [b]Gravel[/b] Mountains or Mount Everest into the [b]Hill[/b] Everest. They can turn the English Channel into the English [b]Isthmus[/b] for the ultimate siege war against UK. They can turn Holy American Empire's rainforest (assuming it's still mostly intact from wars decades ago) into one of the world's largest grassland. They can turn Australia's Great Barrier Reef into Australia's [b]Nonexistent[/b] Barrier Reef. They can turn the Great Wall into the Great [b]Rubble[/b].

And what makes you think the world's largest and expensive fragile toothpick is an exception?

Almost anything can be done with sufficient amount of RP.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309494302' post='2745635']

If someone really wanted to, they can turn the Rocky Mountains into the [b]Gravel[/b] Mountains or Mount Everest into the [b]Hill[/b] Everest. They can turn the English Channel into the English [b]Isthmus[/b] for the ultimate siege war against UK. They can turn Holy American Empire's rainforest (assuming it's still mostly intact from wars decades ago) into one of the world's largest grassland. They can turn Australia's Great Barrier Reef into Australia's [b]Nonexistent[/b] Barrier Reef. They can turn the Great Wall into the Great [b]Rubble[/b].

And what makes you think the world's largest and expensive fragile toothpick is an exception?

[/quote]

[b]He just said that.[/b]

Maybe you should learn reading comprehension - not even that, because Cochin explicitly stated that he agreed with the thread's general consensus. Let me quote Cochin here: "[b]possible to be destroyed[/b]".

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309494302' post='2745635']

[/quote]
Actually permanent geological changes are largely banned historically.

I was never aware that the elevator had some special status bestowed upon it by the community.

Its as viable a target as Addis Ababa was, Rome is, or the Amazonian Rainforest is. As for massive debris crashing down upon everyone - we DO have nuking sprees that rival that of the great Toba catastrophy, and I HAVE seen this animated gif that shows what would happen to such an elevator if it were severed at certain places. Many ended up with the elevator being hurled into space :wacko:

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1309488364' post='2745538']And Generalissimo, it was completely unfair of you to reference just one post of mine in starting a thread in such a venal style. Because of that people with reading incomprehension disorder are getting getting their undergarments in a twist.

Sure you wanted a community poll, but it need not be done in a tarnishing way.[/quote]That post was selected because it was catchy, even memetic, I didnÂ’t mean to slight your integrity.

I admit it was out of context, going further IÂ’ll even confess to consistently quoting out of context.

I think Cochin is a pretty cool guy. eh GMs CNRP and doesnt afraid of anything.

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1309498576' post='2745711']
That post was selected because it was catchy, even memetic, I didn’t mean to slight your integrity.

I admit it was out of context, going further I’ll even confess to consistently quoting out of context.

I think Cochin is a pretty cool guy. eh GMs CNRP and doesnt afraid of anything.
[/quote]

I am sorry I yelled at you, Generalissimo. When one gets up in the morning and sees one's quotes misquoted it does get one to be irate. In understand that were not ill intentional, but I guess neither of us can do anything about people with acute reading incomprehension.

Again I apologize to you for being angry at you.

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1309505051' post='2745788']
Now you have kissed and made up gents more discussion.
I thinknwith sufficient RP the space elevator becomes vulnerable.
[/quote]

Yes, it can be destroyed, but I am strongly against it being destroyed just for the fancy of some RP vandals. It is much the same way how we treat nuclear detonation in Antarctica. Sure possible, but generally considered taboo.

It is also for this very same reason that I suggested the requirement of near unanimous community support for any RP to destroy the Space Elevator.

See I disagree with that. I don't think it should have unanimous anything to be destroyed, just solid and good role play is all that I want to see.

Would I need unanimous support to destroy a city? No.. I just hit the big red button.

Stop affording the space elevator more status than it deserves.

Cities are rebuilt every month in CNRP, mountains or lakes are not built that easily and making such islands bring all kinds of issues with the rules. If Space Elevator is liable to destroyed easily, then it should also be liable to be rebuilt. Yes, the sentiment I read here about destruction seems very like the very popular trend of just destroying something because you find its concept unpalatable. Speaking not as a GM but as a member of the community here, my opinion is if you make something easy to be destroyed, then also permit it to be rebuilt. Does the notion of rebuilding a Space Elevator get your undergarments in a twist? I am sure they do.

And let me ask you guys, if you guys put effort and time in writing the creation of some giant monkey's posterior ( as a very erudite member stated) how would you like it if some random, constant reroller, RP Vandal popped up as a nation, fired ten nukes at it and then rerolled? That is called abuse. What do we do when that happens? We wipe off that sorry piece of RP from the CNRP's continuity. If you have a bonafide story concept feel free to destroy Space Elevator, but then I for one would rebuild it again.