Possible IP Conflict

hewhoisgod

In a few months I'll be moving back into a college dorm. My roommate also plays cybernations. Is there anything we can do to ensure that we don't get flagged for cheating or multis?

My nation - http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=271588
Friends nation - http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=429097

Edited by hewhoisgod

Could be that you'll have two different IP addresses, particularly if you plug in your computer to get Internet in two separate locations in the dorm room rather than relying on a wireless signal or a router that plugs into one location and all the PCs in the room plug into it.

My suggestion would be to check once you arrive. Worst case scenario, one of you has to access your nation through your smartphone. Nothing would prevent you from being on the same network and accessing IRC, alliance forums, and the like and so far as I know, two players using the same IP address to access the CN forums isn't a ToS violation either, though the Mods would be the ultimate authority on that.

[quote]two players using the same IP address to access the CN forums isn't a ToS violation either, though the Mods would be the ultimate authority on that.
[/quote]
Can we get a mod to weigh in on this? I would like to know as I have asked my wife not to create a cn forum account in case it was a tos violation.

[quote name='Random Iggy' timestamp='1309302083' post='2743709']
Can we get a mod to weigh in on this? I would like to know as I have asked my wife not to create a cn forum account in case it was a tos violation.[/quote]

Could be something that wasn't thought of...after all, if you are accessing the game through one IP address, why not also use the same IP address to access the forums? However, I can see a scenario where someone who accesses the game through a smartphone would find tapping out CN forum posts on a tiny keyboard laborious, and wouldn't want to hassle with figuring out how to make their computer work with their smartphone such that the computer would be getting its IP address from the phone and not a local wifi (for the reason previously stated, "crossing IP streams is bad, Ray...").

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1309354089' post='2744155']
Could be something that wasn't thought of...after all, if you are accessing the game through one IP address, why not also use the same IP address to access the forums? However, I can see a scenario where someone who accesses the game through a smartphone would find tapping out CN forum posts on a tiny keyboard laborious, and wouldn't want to hassle with figuring out how to make their [b]computer work with their smartphone such that the computer would be getting its IP address from the phone and not a local wifi[/b] (for the reason previously stated, "crossing IP streams is bad, Ray...").
[/quote]
tethering is perhaps an option for hard core players, but for us it's not worth the loss of warranty(rooting/illicit apps)or being in breach of contract with our service provider(unauthorized hotspot)just so that she can access the cn forums along with irc and off site forums from home. it's not really that big of deal, you just brought up a very good question that we don't seem to have a clear answer for.

@OP, sorry for the mild derailing :)

Edited by Random Iggy

[quote name='Random Iggy' timestamp='1309393402' post='2744507']
tethering is perhaps an option for hard core players, but for us it's not worth the loss of warranty(rooting/illicit apps)or being in breach of contract with our service provider(unauthorized hotspot)just so that she can access the cn forums along with irc and off site forums from home. it's not really that big of deal, you just brought up a very good question that we don't seem to have a clear answer for.

@OP, sorry for the mild derailing :)[/quote]

Tethering is why I have Internet at home, actually.

Oh and...I made it clear with my service provider exactly what I planned to do before I even bought my smartphone and they not only didn't seem to have a problem with it, they recommended tethering software. Then again, I didn't go with one of Mr. Job's shiny plastic toys either...I'd rather play-by-mail Diplomacy first. :)

Hopefully we get a ruling on the "one IP, two forum accounts" thing soon. Good luck to the OP and let us know how this all works out.

Edited by ChairmanHal

[quote name='Ying Yang Mafia' timestamp='1310051974' post='2751370']
This. Do it and you should be fine.
[/quote]
Not that you necessarily [i]will[/i] be fine, but it will definitely work in your favor. You [i]usually[/i] will be fine.

• 1 month later...