More meetings

HHAYD

[quote]To: Federation of Columbia

I wish to discuss about an economical treaty. Where do you want the meeting to take place?[/quote]

Edited by HHAYD

[quote]To: President Natas of Midwest Republic

I believe St. Louis would be best suited to a meeting between us. Myself and the High Castellan of St. Louis, Kirk Holden, will meet you in the Conference Room of Dubourg Hall, of St. Louis University.[/quote]

OOC: Skip to meeting....

IC:

"Greetings President Natas, I am Robert Paradis, Archon Castellan of the Federation, and this is Kirk Holden, High Castellan of St. Louis. Welcome. Now then, what type of economic treaty would you like to discuss?"

"No tariffs or quotas, free trade. It would benefit both of our countries significantly. However, to avoid a "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_bottom"]race to the bottom situation[/url]", we would also need unified labor, environment and general business regulation. I don't want businesses on both side of the border abusing the treaty, and I'm fairly sure you don't want that to happen either."

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309178327' post='2742637']
"No tariffs or quotas, free trade. It would benefit both of our countries significantly. However, to avoid a "[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_bottom"]race to the bottom situation[/url]", we would also need unified labor, environment and general business regulation. I don't want businesses on both side of the border abusing the treaty, and I'm fairly sure you don't want that to happen either."
[/quote]

"All of these are agreeable. I do have one more question to ask: how is your nation recovering from your civil war?"

[quote name='Torias' timestamp='1309196928' post='2742770']
"All of these are agreeable. I do have one more question to ask: how is your nation recovering from your civil war?"
[/quote]
"Some of our major cities are still going through major reconstruction. Many of the smaller cities were spared from full-blown battles. Our budget is looking at a large deficit and the Legislative is in a dispute over how to deal with the budget issue. I had asked the military to sell most of their equipments and vehicles to assist the budget from going into the read."

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309197149' post='2742776']
"Some of our major cities are still going through major reconstruction. Many of the smaller cities were spared from full-blown battles. Our budget is looking at a large deficit and the Legislative is in a dispute over how to deal with the budget issue. I had asked the military to sell most of their equipments and vehicles to assist the budget from going into the read."
[/quote]

"At present, our government is running a surplus. Therefore, I propose that this treaty include an aid clause, stating that, basically, the Federation would provide aid until such a time that all majr cities are repaired."

"I would prefer a clause that states that it is optional for a country to provide aid if the other country sustains infrastructural or economical damages. A blanket clause would only encourage both of us to become reckless with our budget."

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309222806' post='2743044']
"I would prefer a clause that states that it is optional for a country to provide aid if the other country sustains infrastructural or economical damages. A blanket clause would only encourage both of us to become reckless with our budget."
[/quote]
"I have no problem at all with this. Since we are a relatively new nation, perhaps the Midwest Republic could draft the treaty?"

"Sure thing, give me a few minutes." President Natas replied as he pulled out a sheet of paper and a pen.

[quote]Preamble: This framework will serve as the creation of an economical and aid treaty between Midwest Republic and Federation of Columbia:

Article 1: Once the official treaty is created and takes effect, Midwest Republic and Federation of Columbia will agree to not place tariffs, quotas, or any other restrictions on each others' trade.

Article 2: To ensure neither country takes advantage of the other, both side will agree on unified environmental, labor, financial and general business regulations.

Article 3: Both counties will have at most three years from the day of the signing to agree on unified environmental, labor, financial and general business policies. Otherwise, the framework will never make it into as an official treaty.

Article 4: It is optional for both countries to also unify departments that regulate environmental, labor, financial and general business policies.

Article 5: It is optional for both countries to aid each other should one of them sustain infrastructural or economical damages.[/quote]