Of Austros and Anglos

Sarah Tintagyl

[quote]
[b]To: HRH Harry the First of the Kingdom of Great Britain
[i]
Excellency,

With the Austrian Civil War finally at a close, it has become the main policy of the Empire to begin to slowly rebuild the friendships, which were ruined during our internal strife. Having already sent word to the United States of the Island, Britain is the only other Northern Territory with a great deal of history and cooperation with the Central European Mainland. While we did not share strong relations in the past, I believe we can take his opportunity and work on making a stable and strong, Anglo-Austrian Friendship. Thus, I would like to present this letter as an invitation to Vienna to come and meet with me personally for an audience where we can discuss the possible future of this venture.

I anxiously await your response and arrival in Vienna, I look forward to only the best.

Sincerely,

Theresia of Austria

P.S, I understand that Britain and China do not have the best of relations. This might also be an opportunity to grow those relations as well. My husband is a reasonable person once you meet him and I have a calming factor.[/i]
[/quote]

[quote]To: HIH Maria Theresia II of the Austrian Empire
From: HRH Harry the First of the Kingdom of Great Britain

Imperial Highness,

It would give me great pleasure to visit Vienna for an audience with you. I will arrive sometime this afternoon.

Signed

Harry of Great Britain[/quote]

Minutes after the message had been sent, the Royal Concorde had departed Heathrow and made its way to Vienna.

[i]Timelapse
[b]In the meeting room of the Hofburg Palace[/b][/i]

Harry entered the room dressed in his usual attire. A dark grey suit, black shoes, a red tie and a white shirt. With him he carried a bottle of 1947 French Cheval-Blanc, a three hundred thousand pound bottle of wine, a gift for the Empress.

"Your Imperial Highness, it is a pleasure to finally meet you" Harry said, bowing slightly before straightening and presenting her with his gift.
"I present to you one of my finest wines from my personal collection, 1947 French Cheval-Blanc, I hope you enjoy it."

Theresia's eyes lit up at the gift as she began to blush. "Harry, if I may call you such. This is a marvelous gift, but honestly I can barely bring myself to accept this, however, in good faith," she chuckled and passing the bottle to an attendant. "We can begin this meeting correctly."

After the attendant had left, the Empress leaned back on her chair and gestured for Harry to sit as well. "What I would like to speak with you about, Excellency, is the possibility of closer relations than what Austria and England have shared in the past. At the moment, Austria is rebuilding and one of those phases is the rebuilding of friendships, which I mentioned in my letter. Europe is changing, Harry, and it is becoming suffocatingly close. There is barely room to move without bumping into other nations and this is something that I hope to fix with an alliance to a nation with an ocean at her shores. In addition, Austria may be able to help England with it's diplomatic problem. The stunt with Blue Heaven is what comes to mind first and I really do think that Britain was lucky, it could very well be your heads along with the Koreans."

She sighed and looked out the window for a moment, her husband after all was out there, dealing with the War in Korea and Theresia felt the first pangs of sadness due to war. Let alone the stress she had gone through during the Civil War. "I do not mean to insult of course, I'm just saying, we both have our skills in the world. We could work well together."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1308694206' post='2737831']
Theresia's eyes lit up at the gift as she began to blush. "Harry, if I may call you such. This is a marvelous gift, but honestly I can barely bring myself to accept this, however, in good faith," she chuckled and passing the bottle to an attendant. "We can begin this meeting correctly."

After the attendant had left, the Empress leaned back on her chair and gestured for Harry to sit as well. "What I would like to speak with you about, Excellency, is the possibility of closer relations than what Austria and England have shared in the past. At the moment, Austria is rebuilding and one of those phases is the rebuilding of friendships, which I mentioned in my letter. Europe is changing, Harry, and it is becoming suffocatingly close. There is barely room to move without bumping into other nations and this is something that I hope to fix with an alliance to a nation with an ocean at her shores. In addition, Austria may be able to help England with it's diplomatic problem. The stunt with Blue Heaven is what comes to mind first and I really do think that Britain was lucky, it could very well be your heads along with the Koreans."

She sighed and looked out the window for a moment, her husband after all was out there, dealing with the War in Korea and Theresia felt the first pangs of sadness due to war. Let alone the stress she had gone through during the Civil War. "I do not mean to insult of course, I'm just saying, we both have our skills in the world. We could work well together."
[/quote]

Taking a seat, Harry listened carefully.
"I am well aware of the danger Britain was placed in when I gave the green light to attack, and I even more aware of the danger it is still in. It seems your husband took offence when he realised his Government was under investigation for initiating the attacks against Britain. Something that had been public from day one I might add. He only seemed to get annoyed when the evidence cleared him as heard in the recording between my brother and the Koreans. Dont worry about causing offense either Theresia, lifes too short, especially in this day and age to get mad over little things. So down to buisiness, how can I be of service?"

"Possibly placing something as light as a decrease in tariffs and an Optional Defensive Pact between our two peoples. It would help Austria use it's influence to protect England and of course if those cries go unanswered, our strength can be underestimated. Austria is still quite strong by itself, at least in spirit," she smiled. "In return, Austria would gain a bit more access into the Atlantic sphere and perhaps Britain's Imperialism can be combined with Austria's own taste. I think you could use some moderation and a bit of feminine wisdom which I would be happy to provide."

"What would you say to that Harry?" Theresia rested her head on her hand. "At least we could start working together."

Harry looked away uncomfortably when she said Imperialism.

"Theresia I have no designs on expanding British territory past that laid out in the Windsor Doctrine. Imperialism is not Britains future anymore, it is our past. As for a reudce in tariffs and an optional defence pact? I can do those. However, I must ask why you consider Britain a significant entity within Europe. Ten years ago perhaps when we were fighting the Irish and the host of other enemies we have fought across the years, perhaps, but now?"

Edited by Zoot Zoot