Dawn of a New Era for the Land of Momma Grizzlies

Triyun

The United Federation of the East was increasingly growing wary of paying the bills for maintaining Alaska's massive high wear infrastructure costs. While initial migration was a boon to this, the Chinese who had moved to Alaska had more and more been coming home after going through a few too many unbearable winters. As such a growing consensus had come that it was time to hand Alaska off to a new government.

An invitation was sent out to New Spain to discuss the possibility of forging a new partnership with their emerging resources to give Alaska both security, prosperity, and put it back for the most part in the hands of the Americans.

Grand Vizier Wei sent out an invitation for the Bourbons to come to Fort Beihai to discuss the forging of a new political alliance and a hand off of Alaska.

King Enrique Bourbon would appoint his younger brother Emilo Bourbon his Royal blessings to act on the behalf of himself and New Spain. "You are to represent us to the Chinese Emilo, I'm giving you this honor because you are my blood and it's time that you use it for more then ordering cocktails at bars." Emilo was honored but also somewhat dreading the fact that he would be going to Alaska a country of ice that was a far-cry from the beaches he'd been living in. "As you will it, so shall it be. I'll make my departure at the earliest possible time." Enrique would send a small body-guard and an entourage of assistants and paiges to insure his brother a comfortable trip.

Emilo remarked with a grin. "This is Alaska eh, it will make a nice tourist attraction for citizens seeking a winter repose away from the heat in New Spain." As he stepped out of the government jet he was greeted by Chinese delegates and extended a simple bow making sure to honor traditional Chinese customs. "Greetings, I am Emilo Bourbon."

Wei Hai bowed to the Bourbon Monarch before motioning for him to sit down on one of two hand carved large wooden chairs. The conference room was looking out onto the frigid Pacific, and decorated with the rustic charms expected in Alaska. Wei leaned forward adjusting his glasses as he spoke.

"Your grace, I hope that is the right title... at least it was for the Hapsburg Royalty not on the throne... welcome to Alaska. I hope your flight was pleasant. I am Grand Vizier Wei Hai of the United Federation of the East, my title can be akin to a Prime Minister or Chancellor in European terms.

I thank you for coming on such short notice. The United Federation of the East hopefully wishes that we can conclude a deal which is both mutually beneficial to our two nations and builds a strong bond between us.

Alaska has in the past been the Federation's most stalwart ally in North America. At other times it has vacillated between chaos and incompetence. At the end of the last regime, the Federation stepped in to assume order. The ties between East Asia and Alaska are strong. Alaska was a major source of petroleum, timber, and fisheries for our population. Today, Petroleum the most strategic of these is being phased out of the Federation though, due mostly to our burgeoning nuclear fusion industry, which has taken care of the energy 'input' side of producing domestic biofuels for large vehicles, and this in combination with improved battery technology for smaller vehicles. Thus, it is no longer really necessary or worth the economic, military, and political cost for the Federation to maintain a presence here. We think it is better that Alaska return to the hands of the North Americans.

That said we don't want to hand it off to just anyone. The Federation has many friends in North America, many of them already maintain large spans of protectorate. Furthermore, we do continue to see value in Alaska both as a logistical way point, and a strategic observation post. We require a partner that matches our own capabilities. In both these regards New Spain is a good fit. We think that in partnership we can continue to develop these areas to the benefits of both New Spain and the UFE.

Secondly, politically we are comfortable with you. The Federation maintains both close ties to the West Athenian Federation that governs Spain and I believe you have some relation to, and the Hapsburgs in Austria who are a family of similar history to yourselves. Therefore if we may be blunt about it, the Federation and Spain can play ball. Does an alliance with the Federation along the lines of economic, technological, and military cooperation in exchange for sovereignty over all Alaska but Fort Beihai sound like something you'd be interested in?" Wei finished leaning back in his chair.

Edited by Triyun

Emilo Bourbon would take his seat within the conference room admiring the unique beauty of Alaska proper outside the windows of the room. "Your Grace is an appropriate title and my trip was pleasant. I thank you for the hospitality afforded by your staff and countrymen they serve the image of the UFE proudly." Emilo listened astutely as Wei Hai began speaking about the reasoning behind this meeting of their respective nations and more surprisingly to the proposed hand off of Alaska into the care of New Spain in conjunction to a formal alliance between their respective nations.

As he considered the strategic value associated with Alaska for New Spain it would mean a gateway to Northern America, Asia, & a myriad of other countries as a logistical stopping point and outpost of sorts. Further it would produce various resources needed in New Spain to continue growth it was an offer that alone would be nigh impossible to refuse. "Securing the trade off of Alaska and an alliance between our respective lands would be something I'm more then interested in doing. That said I have some questions concerning the region itself...namely what is the current infrastructure development like and location of any logistical outposts, bases, labs, etc. Namely an estimation of the upkeep it would take to continue these facilities. Also a rough estimate of the population of Chinese nationals you'd expect to remain in the land. And lastly we are curious as to how the Federation functions from a government perspective...to be blunt how is the succession of power determined in the Federation...as I know Kou is the designated successor to Jia but I'm unsure if this is by blood-right or by another means." Emilo asked these questions with a calm demeanor trying to hide his personal satisfaction with the prospect of being a representative of New Spain on such a momentous moment in it's young life.

Wei tooks notes as the prince spoke so as to remember each of the points, "Alaska's infrastructure is actually incredibly good [i]at the moment[/i] and that is the issue, not enough Asians want to stay in Alaska to justify the costs of the infrastructure we've been maintaining. It is incredibly expensive to maintain for such a small base population if you don't need the resources because while the roads will look great in the fall, a long winter does take its toll. We've got several heavy rail and a few light rail lines between Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Fort Beihai.

The main air and sea bases are Fort Beihai, which we can permit you to use for your initial operations, and Elmendorf Air Force Base as well as the Port of Anchorage both in as you might suspect... Anchorage. There are several labs, spread throughout the areas, along with the HAARP atmospheric research agency. Most of the rivers rich in commercial fisheries have small lab buildings to help manage salmon flows each year. Off the top of my head thats what I know.

Most of the Chinese now live in Fort Beihai metro area, we estimate there are about 200, 000 living outside of that area, most of them are professionals, few Chinese who are unemployed stay in Alaska, but rather move back home. We estimate about 40, 000 of these are infrastructure related workers, most of these unless your firms hire them would likely move back home. I will see to it that they follow the visa laws of your nation.

Lastly in regards to the government... thats somewhat complicated. Vice Imperator Kou is August Imperator Jia's chosen successor in the event that god forbid, Jia is assassinated or suffers a stroke. However, ten years the Imperator's senior he's not necessarily the man who will take over when Jia retires or if he is it could be more as a caretaker role while the next generation of political leadership is cultivated. Its entirely possible whether that comes in five years or twenty years, that Jia will ask all of us to step down with him and make room for a new generation of leadership. The Imperator is only recently married so as of yet he has heir by blood. If he did, its possible Jia could designate him as his successor, but I would not say a blood heir is entitled to the position, if the heir demonstrated exceptional aptitude of his father, when he was old enough he may succeed his father or his father's interim successor or even my successor, but if the heir was a spoiled rich kid, I would be shocked if Jia actually let him take over the nation.

Obviously being the son of a leader in the UFE gives you a leg up because you can afford to get in to the best schools, you grow up observing how to deal in politics, and other things, but its not a right as it has been in times past."

Edited by Triyun

Emilo concluded from Wei's statements that Alaska would be well positioned to suit the industrial needs of New Spain and it's upkeep would be worth continuing. "Your Alaskan holdings sound very well developed for industrial resource production, New Spain will without a doubt continue to employ their facilities for these aims of resource production among others. Now, concerning the Chinese population situated within these industries and lands...we feel it would be inappropriate to simply displace the populace with our acceptance of the land. With that in mind, we will leave it to the individuals to decide if they wish to remain as workers under visa and in the long-term we'll leave avenues for these workers to become full citizens should the wish it. Now just to clarify for our reports, the Fort Behai region will remain in UFE hands correct?" Emilo concluded his discourse on Alaska briefly taking a sip of water before continuing with his talks.

"Furthermore, I thank you for explaining how the succession of the August Imperator is decided. It was somewhat of a curiosity of mine given the position has undertones of Monarchy akin to our own while also having Democratic undertones associated with a Federation state. In Bourbon monarchies it is often tradition to solidify a political and military alliance through royal marriage. Presently though neither myself or Enrique bear any children or wives so it wouldn't be possible to seek this at the present with the UFE. That said, I wish Jia much success and happiness with his recent marriage."

Wei nodded, "Yes, Anchorage would be the most profitable part for resource production. I think the pattern of most workers will be they spend some years over here and come back home, thats been the historical Chinese pattern, but it is very possible a number could stay as well.

In regards to the royal marriage thing. I appreciate the offer, though I feel I must clarify. Though the Imperator is married to another royal, it was not done for for this reason or a decision of state. Our alliances are built on friendship between two people and world leaders. Austria does happen to be especially close, but friendship between our two nations is enough to guarantee the UFEs loyalty to New Spain any potential future arranged marriages would not be required, though again we do appreciate the custom and thought."

Emilo listened and nodded with a light smile to Wei. "Oh yes, I'm more then confident your friendship is more then enough to secure our relationship...sorry if the idea made you uneasy. Often times we find other governments taken a back by the practice and custom as it is rooted in ancient thought in today's terms." Emilo sat back in his chair and pondered his next statement.

"Well at the present I believe New Spain is more then confident in the potential for this relationship between our nations. We are curious how your ongoing conflict in Korea is progressing, we in New Spain are glad to see the North Korean regime dismantled...although it is a shame we could not partake in the festivities! Maybe once this agreement is signed I could persuade the King to devote some forces to assist you in mopping up the regime's remnants."

"The war with Korea is going... well... we just really want them out of Asia I suppose you could say. They've dug in deep and have been throwing nukes, so we're now ratcheting up the bombardment. Its not something I like at all. I think this is the worst war in history, but its just something that has to be done... just like having to pass a kidney stone. If you would be willing to enter the war on our side, my government would greatly appreciate this!

One more thing I should tell you about Alaska before we finalize this agreement, it does appear there are some Christian Fundies in the countryside of Alaska. Anchorage has been very cosmopolitanized, the interior though we still have some issues. Our nation has relaxed laws on religion, and they are quiet right now but it is something you may have to deal with. Their military leader Sarah Palin however, we've driven off and forced her into exile as a bad cable news analyst." Wei said with a hint of amusement.

OOC: To explain Louis Sheldon's nation.

"We will certainly consider entering the conflict on your behalf. I cannot make any promises though given it would ultimately be left to King Enrique; but being his brother allows my council some weight in his decision making process. That being said, New Spain doesn't wish to bother with having to take stewardship over rebellious lands so we will not pursue the greater Alaskan interior. We feel we can extract enough resources to add to our economy and extend our military reach by using the land as a Military outpost and research center. To clarify my position consider our interest in Alaska to be centered in the Kodiak Islands and the Kenai Peninsula extending between Anchorage through Valdez."

Emilo was somewhat concerned that the Interior Alaskans could pose a pest or problem in the future given the recently publicized initiatives by those natives demanding the reformation of an Classical American state. All that said, presently the land would be under-developed and incapable of challenging New Spain so it was ultimately debased in Emilo's mind and not worth ending this deal...but simply minimizing the lands New Spain would gain to suit her needs.

"We thank you for the generous offer of support none the less." Wei said with a smile, "I think that this is acceptable, letting the natives go as they go might be for the best, even if it is rather painful to watch."

Wei chuckled for a moment, "So I believe we have a deal then?"

Emilo extends his hand in friendship and agreement to Wei. "It is a deal my friend. I've further taken the liberty to have an aide make note of our conversations and draft an appropriate treaty to these aims. It only need the appropriate signatures." Emilo hands over a copy of the treaty to Wei to inspect. "Is this to your liking?"

[left][quote'][/left]
Preamble - Recognizing their mutual ties, interests, and genuine friendship of these nations The Kingdom of New Spain & The United Federation of the East have consented to create a treaty ensuring the safety, security, and continued friendship of their respective countries. For the purposes of this treaty both nations will be referred to as "Signatories" or "Signatory".

Article I: Sovereignty & Nonaggression
Signatories of this pact will recognize one another as sovereign nations and take no actions that may violate this fact. Signatories also agree to establish a policy of non-aggression. Neither signatory will launch military, political, economic, or covert operations against the other.

Article II: Economic Cooperation
Signatories of this pact agree to Open Borders between countries and free trade with one another to promote economic vitality and strength. Neither will levy taxes, tariffs, or any other damaging economic or trading measures. Signatories consent to have an fixed rate of currency exchange at a 1:1 ratio insuring either currency is valued and viable for trade between nations so that neither may have an advantage over the other in trade.

Article III: Intelligence & Technology Cooperation
Signatories of this pact are required to share any Intelligence information that may be of interest to the other party and assist the other in operational intelligence capacities. If either find out any information of an impending foreign or domestic threat they are required to inform the other. Furthermore both agree to assist each other in the development of information assurance and cryptologic assistance. Furthermore both nations consent to assist one another to advancing their respective technological inventions and advances.

Article IV: Mutual Assault & Defense
Signatories of this pact are required to act in support of one another in both offensive and defensive ventures this is including but not limited to full military, intelligence, economic, and political support. An attack on one will be considered an attack on both while conversely a Declaration of War by one will be considered an Declaration of War by both parties. Before any Offensive measures are taken signatories must notify one another of the impending operation and mutually consent to the attack. Both parties further agree to mutually allow military access to bases within either country to increase cooperation in military conflicts during wartime.

Article V: Land Transfer
The United Federation of the East agrees to cede their claims upon portions of Alaska comprising of The Kodiak Islands, The Kenai Peninsula & all land from Anchorage to Valdez. Furthermore these lands are to become sovereign territory of The Kingdom of New Spain.

Article VI: Cancellation
Due to the nature of this pact either signatory may cancel this treaty at any time provided they give the other party 7 days notice (RL). During this period of time all articles will be valid. Afterword another 31 days (RL) will be extended as period of Non-Aggression between signatories.

Signed:
Enrique Bourbon King of New Spain
[/quote]

Edited by Owned-You

Reviewing the agreement Wei nodded, "This looks good to me." Wei said. Getting out his pen, Wei affixed his signature to the document.

/s/

Wei Hai, Grand Vizier of the United Federation of the East, Keeper of the Imperial Seal, Scourge of the British Empire's Balls