The Age of Maria Theresia

Sarah Tintagyl

Austrian Legion Security teams keep their eyes and ears open. Translators speaking a variety of languages mingle with the crowd dressed as waiters with the hope of picking up incidental bits of timely intelligence. Denard quietly follows the Empress until he's finds himself standing face to face with Dellion's wife.

"Where is my husband?" Mrs. Dellion asks him.

"Command center," Denard replies warily.

"Bob, you should go get him and let me dance with my man," she mutters.

"Tell you what, give me the rest of the hour, and I'll have someone take over for him long enough for me to switch out with him. Till then why don't we find a table and you can catch me up on how your kids are doing?" Denard asks.

"That's fair," Mrs. Dellion replies as she allows Denard to guide her to a quiet table where she and him begin to talk in soft friendly tones. Prior to this Denard orders Jamal, his loyal bodyguard from the earliest days of Legion, to take over close security of the Empress. He also deliberately chooses a table that allows him to keep watch on the Empress from a short distance away.

"So tell me Claire, how are your two sons doing?" Denard asks.

"Oh dear god, they are a handful," Mrs. Dellion replies as she takes out several pictures from her purse.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1307922593' post='2730143']
"Life certainly isn't bitter with you." Jia said returning her kiss. "You've made me a better man Theresia. I'll put my faith in you." He paused for a second. "Although you probably shouldn't say the not very Catholic thing to loudly around here."

Jia looked into the fountain, it was peaceful, different from, but not unlike the Zen Gardens of his Empire. One thing he always admired about Europe was the pristine quality to its cities parks, unlike the overcrowded ones of China. "A storm could well be on the horizon Theresia, but you're right. Together we can overcome it, and I dare say we might have some fun doing it." he grinned.

...Plus, if things go too poorly, we can always take over some weak banana republic and retire... Also I do want to know who you know who can kick more ass than I can? I'll have to invade them to defend my rep!" Jia asked his ego slightly wounded.
[/quote]

Theresia smiled as she took Jia's hand again and began to lead him away from the fountain, continuing their walk. "Well the reputation of the United Federation is another thing I've been wanting to talk about." Once they were in the trees were no would would be able to hear their whispers, the Empress continued. "Both Bridgette, and my sister did what they could to destroy Austria's diplomatic power around the world. I've made it my priority to do what I can to regain our friendships with Athens, Germany, and others, but to be perfectly honest I don't know how well it's going to work. Right now, Austria's greatest ally is the Federation, perhaps in terms of familiarity, our only ally as other regimes will take time to warm up to me."

Finding a bench, she sat him down next to her. "That said, both you and I have come a long way and I think Austria and China have done the same. There is no doubt in my mind that this country is going to look towards Beijing more and more over the next months and years. While we might not go as far as to embrace Zeonism or Meritocracy, I wouldn't say it's a far off statement either. What I want to know, Jia, how could we bring our nations closer together, without stepping on sovereign issues which would make someone like Bridgette come to the surface again. But rely on each other as strong and true allies."

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1308252358' post='2732582']
Kei Shojitsu had also come to the celebration, but kept quiet for much of the event. He was only here to start official relations with the Austrians, unlike the short meeting back in Beijing. Depending on what went on, things would be..... interesting, to say the least.
[/quote]

Standing there, Kei drew little attention to himself, until he was tapped on the shoulder by a dainty hand. Turning around he would see the Crown Princess Angelika von Hapsburg and to her right, the Austrian Foreign Minister Frederich Kant.

"Herr Shojitsu, it's a true pleasure that you were able to make it today." Angelika began, "I'd like to introduce to you, Minister Kant of the Foreign Ministry, I figure we could have a bit of conversation and if you came to talk diplomacy, we could engage in that as well."

"The pleasure is mine sir." Said Kant extending his hand to Kei's.

Needless to say however, Angelika had prepped Kant on the behavior of the Korean Minister in Beijing and it was the Modus operandi of the new regime that nations, large or small who could not maintain an aura of civility in diplomatic or any type of discussion to immediately withdraw from friendship. It was simply a matter of participation or isolation.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Sitting down, Jia paused for a moment reflecting on the issue. "Well... I think there are multiple ways to do that. I received word earlier today our scientists have confirmed we can begin making commercial nuclear fusion power. Austria will be the first country to receive it abroad. Preserving Austria's pristine alpine beauty while giving its citizens cheap Alpine beauty I think can go a long way in helping them. Probably can buy us a lot of good and it would make Austria more independent from its regional neighbor's coal and oil supplies. So you could appear more nationalist in that sense."

Pausing again he through around a flurry of ideas around in his head. "Hmm... maybe like... we can also say that our governments recognize eachother's binding agreements and certificates as valid, things like passports, drivers license, marriage certificates on an individual level, and patents, contractual obligations, etc on a corporate and governmental level.

I think as far as constitutional rights, many in the East prefer to have more order, most Austrians prefer a bit more liberty so we don't need to go there yet.

In foreign affairs and military affairs there is a lot more room for unity. We both are already close allies both officially through TSI and unofficially the closest by well... us. I guess the UFE could step up military aid to Austria. If Austria itself seems to be growing stronger, rather than having a huge visible Chinese footprint, I think that that would also help assuage the more isolationist elements of the country."

"Well, Jia, my dear, I think you may have stumbled onto something truly captivating. Fusion power, nationalist and military strength, and a reliable ally who I have at least trusted most of my life. I believe we've hit the nail on the head, an unofficial union of nations, Austro-China if you will." She said with a laugh. "No, I don't think anyone ever would have expected something like this." Looking down, her laugh grew into a grin, a mysterious and mischievous grin. "But you know, Maria for all her worth didn't really have a grasp on the greater world. Diplomacy, negotiations, all good things, the world was happy. But listening to Chancellor Saenger's Rhetoric, Austria was happy, they thought that an empire of the people that would return our prestige would return. I have to merge these two ideas and I think with your help, it can be done with flying colors."

Then leaning back she looked up at the sky and closed her eyes. "All this talk of fun though. I think perhaps it might be time for Austria to flex her muscle. There's a vast world out there, prime for colonization and expansion. If not territorially, then influentially. We have a lot to do, but all the time in the world to do it." She looked back at Jia and rested her head on his shoulder. "Because if any two people are qualified this home we call Earth. It's us."

"You mean Sino-Austria!" Jia joked chuckling for a second.

"I think your rule will work out well. People aren't inherently xenophobic... except for maybe the Koreans or Japanese." he quipped. "But people like to see themselves as important, they like to see their country as important, not an appendage of any other one. We need to make Austria stronger, and after all the UFE can do it without worrying. We can trust each other more than any other two world leaders, therefore we can become far more successful than others." he said. Jia wrapped his arm around Theresia as she rested her head he looked up at the Vienna night sky.

A smile came to his face as she mentioned expansionism, "And the world think's you're the one whose kept me from playing Genghis Khan!" Jia joked, "So... sounds like fun."