Corporate Interests

Lynneth

OOC: As per the successful spy operation seen [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=97237&view=findpost&p=2729276"]here...[/url]

IC:

[b][Private][/b]

"So we agree to the proposed course of action?"
Several men and women nodded, affirming their agreement. A map of southeastern Asia appeared in the middle of the room, highlighting the nation Minilla Island.

"Then let me recap the plan:
First step, we schedule a patrol to go near the waters of Minilla Island. This patrol will consist of two frigates and a destroyer.
Second step, an attack submarine will be tailing them, without their knowledge. The sub will overtake them while they anchor southwest of MI, within reach of Sumatra but barely far away enough to not get into their EEZ.
Third step, the submarine will open fire, aiming for the destroyer. With the main anti-sub weapons gone, the frigates will have to retreat, reporting the sudden attack coming from Minillan waters."

Another person stood up, drawing several arrows from Ceylon towards Sumatra.
"The first objective will be the conquest of Sumatra. We already have several satellites scouting out optimal approach vectors and landing spots. Almost the entirety of our navy will be available, aside from a small patrol near our antarctic base and the sunk destroyer."
"How large is their army?"
"We expect them to be capable of fielding an army around 20% smaller than ours. Their forces are several years to decades behind ours in development, depending on whether they kept up with the flow. It's entirely possible that they're still using 5th or even 4th generation airplanes, for example."
"That would make things considerably easier. Now then, let us proceed with the plan."

[b][Classified movements, mostly visible by satellite][/b]

A few days later, a patrol of Sri Lankan ships was ordered to move along the edges of Minilla Island's EEZ, the official reasoning being that pirates could be caught by coming from an unexpected direction.
The inofficial story was known to very few people, among them not the captains of the two Yuhai class Frigates or the Sukanya class Destroyer, nor the captain of the Nandimithra class attack submarine who was following the three.
For the surface ships, this was just another patrol, a bit further away from Sri Lanka as usual, but nothing truly unusual.
For the submarine, it was an operation to get rid of subversive elements in the navy. If this could be used to pin the blame on another nation, even better, thought the sub's captain.

During the patrol, the surface ships would stop several times, sending out helicopters to search for potential pirate ships. During one of these stops, the submarine overtook them, positioning itself in an angle that would heavily suggest for the attack to have come from a submarine whose home harbour was somewhere east, in Sumatra.
It was in the evening, around 20:30 local time (8:30 p.m.) when the patrol began to move once more. This was the signal for the submarine to initiate the operation. Torpedo tubes were flooded, all thoughts of stealthily following gone for a few moments. Then three torpedos left the 11,000 ton heavy vessel, heading straight for the destroyer.

While they were noticed by the crew and an alarm was raised, they hadn't been on combat stations. Despite the evasive maneuver, the destroyer was unable to evade more than one of the high-explosive warheads, two powerful detonations blasting away great parts of the ship's hull, leaving its innards exposed.
Less than a minute later, one frigate was frantically searching for the offender, but only managed to find out their general direction and course, but not distance. The other frigate was busy rescuing the crew of the destroyed vessel, and sending two automated robots down to the sinking hulk to disable the nuclear reactor for later salvaging.

The disastrous 'news' would reach Sri Lankan soil only a short time later.

[b][Public announcement][/b]

"Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today is a day without precedent. Sri Lanka has cowardly been attacked by a submerged vessel of unknown type, mere kilometers east of the eastern end of Minilla Island's exclusive economic zone.
The patrol, consisting of two Yuhai class Frigates and one Sukanya class Destroyer, was ambushed at around 20:30 local time, with the attack sinking the destroyer and barely missing the two Frigates, who were able to evade just in time.
The aggressor then fled, already out of reach, made its way into the direction of Sumatra, a large island belonging to Minilla Island.
We believe this to be an aggressive and unprovoked attack from Minilla Island, the only nation with a large navy and the capability to supply it in the immediate vicinity, which does not have good relations with Sri Lanka.

Considering this, I hereby am forced to impose heavy sanctions upon Minilla Island. A commission will investigate the incident. If the government of Minilla Island does not cooperate, we may be forced to pursue other, less diplomatic options."

[b][Classified][/b]

As response to the 'attack', Sri Lanka's armed forces went into high alert, ordered into alert level 2, equivalent to Defcon 2 with expectation of opening of hostilities in the very near future.
Navy, Air force and Army began to prepare for conflict. Several flotillas would be sent to patrol Sri Lanka's EEZ while the nation's airspace would be monitored more closely.

Greater Korea mourns the deaths of the Sri Lankan sailors, and wishes for justice to be served against those who deserve it.

*Classified*

Greater Korea would like to help Sri Lanka. Please tell us if there is anything that we can do short of military actions, at least for the time being.

Edited by Kankou

OOC: I think you mean mourns? :P
IC:

The PRo Selenarctos hopes this is simply a misunderstanding between two of our allies. We request to participate in the investigatory commission and await Minilla Island's response.

OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM HRH KING RAYMOND II

This is absolutely not the case. Our Amphibious vessels have no use in going to attack Sri Lanka, However, we have received communiques that Sri Lanka has eyes on conquering Sumatra in order to destabilize the Royal Republic. To what end, we do not know. But, we have ZERO to do with any attack on Sri Lanka. All we want to be is LEFT ALONE! If we wish to be LEFT ALONE, why attack? ESPECIALLY if Sri Lanka does absolutely NOTHING for us strategically. Now, why was your Navy near my waters to begin with?

OOC: This is what this is. Lynneth asked me to give up Sumatra because his nation supposedly has 340 million people (Which is God Modding, in my opinion) and because I do not RP as much as I should. I politely told him to ask about the Andamans, which his ally controlled. He would then begin to berate me that I do not RP that much, and I politely told him I was within the rules. So, he goes does a spy mission IN GAME, which is an act of war IN GAME, and says, "if asking nicely does not work..." I mean, talking about being an infant about this. I mean, you go to war for a LEGIT reason. Not because you asked for land and someone said "no". Now, if you want me to give the dump.....

I am not thrilled about playing war games, especially one where it is setup where I am GUARANTEED to lose. End OOC.

Could Minilla Island provide actual evidence that "Sri Lanka has eyes on conquering Sumatra in order to destabilize the Royal Republic"? Given the trigger-happy nature of today's world, Sri Lanka's relatively mild response shows that Sri Lanka is sincere in resolving this peacefully, unlike other nations who had their ships sunk in mysterious explosions. The way Minilla Island denies it's involvement and alternately accuse Sri Lanka is very suspicious, to say the least.

In the meantime, Korea wishes to send observers to any investigatory commissions established for this incident. May cool heads prevail, and false imperialists be punished.

OOC: OOC discussions remains OOC discussion. Therefore, you might as well do your own rolls against Sri Lanka.

Also, thank you iKrolm for pointing out my mistake.

Edited by Kankou

Heck, I'd love to solve this peacefully. Sri Lanka sounds like he wants to go to war. As I said, all we want is to be left alone. As for evidence, that is classified at this time. Again, let me reiterate: Sri Lanka's Government are not bad people. We have ZERO reason to even WANT to attack them. The only way we would attack is if they came after us, period. Minilla Island is about making money in business and finance, not destroying everything in our path. Does nothing for us economically.

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1307931666' post='2730274']
As for evidence, that is classified at this time.
[/quote]
Refusing to give forth evidence (although not on this scale, it was similar) did not quite work for Communist Australia, what makes you think it'd work for you?

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1307818460' post='2729325']
Greater Korea mourns the deaths of the Sri Lankan sailors, and wishes for justice to be served against those who deserve it.

*Classified*

Greater Korea would like to help Sri Lanka. Please tell us if there is anything that we can do short of military actions, at least for the time being.
[/quote]
"As do we. Justice must be served."

[b][Classified to Korea][/b]
"At the time, diplomatic support would be appreciated. Aiding in the investigation, too."
[b][End classified][/b]

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1307898372' post='2729909']
OOC: I think you mean mourns? :P
IC:

The PRo Selenarctos hopes this is simply a misunderstanding between two of our allies. We request to participate in the investigatory commission and await Minilla Island's response.
[/quote]
"We hope this was just an act by renegades. But, considering that the two vessels that survived the attack didn't see any surface ship implies at least one submarine - something renegades would be hard-pressed to acquire.
Evidence is pointing against Minilla Island, at the moment at least."

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1307927174' post='2730211']
OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM HRH KING RAYMOND II

This is absolutely not the case. Our Amphibious vessels have no use in going to attack Sri Lanka, However, we have received communiques that Sri Lanka has eyes on conquering Sumatra in order to destabilize the Royal Republic. To what end, we do not know. But, we have ZERO to do with any attack on Sri Lanka. All we want to be is LEFT ALONE! If we wish to be LEFT ALONE, why attack? ESPECIALLY if Sri Lanka does absolutely NOTHING for us strategically. Now, why was your Navy near my waters to begin with?

OOC: This is what this is. Lynneth asked me to give up Sumatra because his nation supposedly has 340 million people (Which is God Modding, in my opinion) and because I do not RP as much as I should. I politely told him to ask about the Andamans, which his ally controlled. He would then begin to berate me that I do not RP that much, and I politely told him I was within the rules. So, he goes does a spy mission IN GAME, which is an act of war IN GAME, and says, "if asking nicely does not work..." I mean, talking about being an infant about this. I mean, you go to war for a LEGIT reason. Not because you asked for land and someone said "no". Now, if you want me to give the dump.....

I am not thrilled about playing war games, especially one where it is setup where I am GUARANTEED to lose. End OOC.
[/quote]

"No communiques whatsoever have been sent to Minilla Island in the last years. Claiming that we are 'intent on conquering Sumatra' is a lie, and slander.
We will of course be providing evidence that no communication of any kind has been done with Minilla Island in the last years. Logs of when messages were sent are kept by us."

OOC: Metagaming, my friend. The PMs I sent were purely OOC. Out of character. You, however, are trying to use them IC, in character, to defend yourself.
And what I said in those PMs isn't entirely relevant. Everyone has motives for doing things, and I have mine.
Also, I didn't do a spy mission ingame. I couldn't have done so even if I wanted to. You're out of my reach, because your NS is too low for me to do a spy mission on you.
As for my population: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal"]Bengal[/url], a region I control ICly, has 245 million people in Real-life. I have Ceylon/RL-Sri Lanka as well, and raised the total population of the island by massive immigration, through RP. Not-so-godmodding.
Please put further complaints into the [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=42831&st=6120"]OOC Thread[/url]. I will address them there.

Ninjaedit: Fix'd a spelling mistake or two.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1307931666' post='2730274']
Heck, I'd love to solve this peacefully. Sri Lanka sounds like he wants to go to war. As I said, all we want is to be left alone. As for evidence, that is classified at this time. Again, let me reiterate: Sri Lanka's Government are not bad people. We have ZERO reason to even WANT to attack them. The only way we would attack is if they came after us, period. Minilla Island is about making money in business and finance, not destroying everything in our path. Does nothing for us economically.
[/quote]

Keeping evidence which would shed light on this incident classified seems to indicate that there is something guilty on the side of Minilla Island. Minilla Island is advises to either allow an international investigation committee to review all evidence on this matter, or face possible condemnation by the international community. With this, Greater Korea shall be sending diplomats and investigators to both Sri Lanka and Minilla Island to help attempt bringing this unfortunate incident to a peaceful conclusion.

*Actions*

Two Joint Civilian-Military Investigation Groups are formed and sent to Sri Lanka and Minilla Island, with a few lightly armed troops as security details. If the countries did not object, they would set up their offices in the main military base city, ready to start the investigations.

Edited by Kankou

MNS [i]Divine Providence[/i] is available for any Sri Lankan defense in the region, MoG[Corp] entirely supports any nation that provides such freedoms as Sri Lanka provides its citizens, trade and ships in international waters should not be hindered by any nation.

Edited by Mogar

"Having heard nothing from Minilla Island for some time, we reiterate our intent for a commission to investigate the incident.
Without Minilla Island's cooperation, however, we will not be able to do this. And a lack of cooperation does not make them look good in any way, either, so we do ask for Minilla Island's cooperation. As quickly and cleanly as possible.

We also ask Korea and Mog[Corp] for their cooperation in the investigation of this incident. The more nations cooperate on this, the more likely it is we can find out what happened."

The United Federation of the East condemns the idea of a global jury. We encourage that this investigation be done by regional nations with strong ties to both nations. We recommend the Kingdom of Cochin, Selenarctos, and if a third is needed ourselves even though we only hold strong relations with Sri Lanka, an alternative would be these two plus independent counsels from MI and Sri Lanka.

Edited by Triyun