Going Rogue

Ogaden

Ok apparently people can be members of our community for years and yet still not know the first thing about being a nuke rogue.

Allow me to point out some things.

1) [b]Don't[/b]. Unless you are fighting an exceptionally weak alliance (and there are those out there that you can actually singlehandedly fight to submission, I know, sad right?) don't go nuke rogue. First of all it's not as much fun as you might think, because if you're checking out you're bored with the game already and now you have to stay up to update every night. Also people don't actually care if they get attacked, otherwise they would be in peace mode or in the GPA or something, so it's an exceptionally sad and ineffective form of revenge. Nuke rogue for lulz against someone who will get really upset about it can be fun for griefers, but are you that much of a [redacted]?

2) [b]Secret Trades[/b]. Contrary to popular belief, moving to the Grey or None sphere does not actually make you immune or protected from sanctions, as the sanctions are against your trade partners, not you. The simple way around this is to establish secret trades (cancel your trade agreement and click the little "trade secretly" radio button to re-establish it). Otherwise you will find your nuclear roguery rather short lived after you run out of nukes. Also enjoy the brief "haha sucker" when they inevitably do sanction you, to no effect whatsoever. Moving all your trade partners to the None sphere will have the same effect. Your uranium trade at the very least should be a secret trade or on Grey.

3) [b]Attack a loathed individual[/b]. If you don't care who you attack, attack widely reviled people whom a section of the community feel deserve to be rogued. If your entire colour sphere hates that person, you might not even get sanctioned, and secret aid shipments (you do have a Foreign Aid Commission right?) will drive them crazy.

4) [b]Rogue in groups[/b]. Not only will the sophists start debating whether you are even a rogue anymore, but if you've got enough firepower you may end up even winning.

5) [b]Plan ahead.[/b] If you want to be at least a mild annoyance, make sure that you have enough cash and tech on hand that you can keep at it for an extended period of time (periodically nuking 1000 NS nations, inflicting tens of dollars in damage, does not count). Ragequit roguing on a small warchest is hilarious, but not exactly effective.

Edited by James Dahl

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1307141433' post='2723313']

3) [b]Attack a loathed individual[/b]. If you don't care who you attack, attack widely reviled people whom a section of the community feel deserve to be rogued. If your entire colour sphere hates that person, you might not even get sanctioned, and secret aid shipments (you do have a Foreign Aid Commission right?) will drive them crazy.
[/quote]
rogue me, kthx.

[b]5) Plan ahead.[/b] If you want to be at least a mild annoyance, make sure that you have enough cash and tech on hand that you can keep at it for an extended period of time (periodically nuking 1000 NS nations, inflicting tens of dollars in damage, does not count). Ragequit roguing on a small warchest is hilarious, but not exactly effective.

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1307144287' post='2723338']
[b]5) Plan ahead.[/b] If you want to be at least a mild annoyance, make sure that you have enough cash and tech on hand that you can keep at it for an extended period of time (periodically nuking 1000 NS nations, inflicting tens of dollars in damage, does not count). Ragequit roguing on a small warchest is hilarious, but not exactly effective.
[/quote]

Well said and stolen good sir

If only the nuke rogues knew about this...

I could imagine a few dozens or hundreds of them all creating a new alliance for the sole purpose of nuke roguing.

Jarheads+large NS+large warchest+25 nukes per fighter+actual coordination=Oh sh-

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1307145396' post='2723356']
If only the nuke rogues knew about this...

I could imagine a few dozens or hundreds of them all creating a new alliance for the sole purpose of nuke roguing.

Jarheads+large NS+large warchest+25 nukes per fighter+actual coordination=Oh sh-
[/quote]

This will be how the world ends. You heard it here first.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1307145543' post='2723357']
This will be how the world ends. You heard it here first.
[/quote]
The only way the world will truly end is if the Almighty Admin decides to assist the rogues. Then it's game over for everyone.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1307141433' post='2723313']
Ok apparently people can be members of our community for years and yet still not know the first thing about being a nuke rogue.

Allow me to point out some things.

1) [b]Don't[/b]. Unless you are fighting an exceptionally weak alliance (and there are those out there that you can actually singlehandedly fight to submission, I know, sad right?) don't go nuke rogue. First of all it's not as much fun as you might think, because if you're checking out you're bored with the game already and now you have to stay up to update every night. Also people don't actually care if they get attacked, otherwise they would be in peace mode or in the GPA or something, so it's an exceptionally sad and ineffective form of revenge. Nuke rogue for lulz against someone who will get really upset about it can be fun for griefers, but are you that much of a [redacted]?
[/quote]
People don't usually complain but it can be kind of annoying because it will set you back a bit. They key is not to rogue someone who gets rogued all the time, they are the ones least likely to notice.

There are some people who will get mad about it who deserve it, who cowered out of wars in the past. The best example is when I went rogue on Panfilo.

Some tactical advice:
- Calculate out your nuke usage and the SDI coverage on who you hit.
- Hit people when they are 15+ days inactive, so you can force an anarchy collection.
- Go rogue when you are 13+ days inactive, to deny loot to anyone who attacks you.

Edited by Azaghul

Hey, sometimes some people just want to rogue and spend all those nukes. Most people leaving the game do want to give their tech/cash to friends before they quit, and end up with no rogue warchest. Very few people actually rogue to win, they're just doing it to piss people off. If they're roguing, chances are that they've already lost what mattered the most to them. I've never actually seen tactical rogues who try to actually damage an alliance (outside of TE).

As a resident expert, I can say three out of five points are mostly hogwash. It is important to consider who you are attacking, why you are attacking them, and what people will do. Planning ahead is a good plan (although too much planning will ruin the fun).

The first step is to pick a few targets. Attacking loathed individuals is a good start, though they can also simply be well known characters that people may or may not care about, but will make noise.

The second step is the OWF post: it must be clear and relevant...but at the same time, its best to put some sort of twist on it. Revenge for a fallen alliance, starting your own alliance and declaring war, or (my favorite) using a "nuke for hire" sort of thing. Otherwise its NO fun.

Thirdly, the attack. Making your own attack is good, however if you get other people to attack, it's better. Especially if they're using your nation while you're on vacation :o . But the attack must come swiftly, and with many posts.

Fourthly: Allies. If anyone supports your epic quest, make them your "allies". Increasing the collateral political damage is key. The more nations you totally throw off balance, the better. If you have the chance to get an entire alliance in a war, PERFECT. Its more than most can say they've done.

After all, what's the point of nuke roguery? Its to have fun on your way out and do all the things you've always wanted to!

Also, buy a manhatten project, and a hidden nuke silo.

And if you do it my way, not only will people let you live past the nuke roguery, they won't sanction you :awesome:

(edit: possible moderation problems...)

Edited by zigbigadorlou

This guide ([url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=32419"]CLICK HERE[/url]) titled [i]Nuclear roguery for the common man a step by step guide[/i], is very good reading for those wanting to go rogue.

[quote name='FlogYou' timestamp='1307144838' post='2723344']
Diskord years back made the most complete and detailed "rogue" guide I have ever seen.
[/quote]
Diskord was on a level that most here could only ever dream of reaching.

[quote name='King Srqt' timestamp='1307239736' post='2724109']
Diskord was on a level that most here could only ever dream of reaching.
[/quote]

He and Wamplers (or whatever the "Terrorists" guy's name was) are the only two exceptionally talented career rogues I've seen.

I would have included myself but I never made a career of it :smug:

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1307191642' post='2723723']
Hey, sometimes some people just want to rogue and spend all those nukes. Most people leaving the game do want to give their tech/cash to friends before they quit, and end up with no rogue warchest. Very few people actually rogue to win, they're just doing it to piss people off. If they're roguing, chances are that they've already lost what mattered the most to them. I've never actually seen tactical rogues who try to actually damage an alliance (outside of TE).
[/quote]

I agree with this. Anyone going rogue who intends to "go out with a bang" probably doesn't care nearly enough to "do it correctly". They're bored/tired of playing, the last thing they want to do is spend even more time here in preparation.

[quote name='Hyperion321' timestamp='1307261997' post='2724294']
It doesn't matter how well they follow the guide, it still won't top roguing GATO by yourself...and winning. That just simply can't be beat.
[/quote]
Ah, good times. Who was it that took on GATO?

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1307274239' post='2724327']
Ah, good times. Who was it that took on GATO?
[/quote]

Ivanelterrible. After that he joined FAN for a while, and eventually went rogue on TOP. Unfortunately the concept of roguing and coming out ahead is completely obsolete in this age. Nukes will wear you down to dust no matter how well you fight

[quote name='Stonewall Jaxon' timestamp='1307291253' post='2724393']
Ivanelterrible. After that he joined FAN for a while, and eventually went rogue on TOP. Unfortunately the concept of roguing and coming out ahead is completely obsolete in this age. Nukes will wear you down to dust no matter how well you fight
[/quote]
Ya, nukes just aren't as proportionally damaging anymore considering average nation size and war chests have grown considerably. Back then it was more economically feasible to let Ivan win than to try to take on a nuke rogue, which were one of the scariest things in the game back then, and often got you EZI'd.