June STA Press Conference

[center][img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/293710/STAFlag.jpeg[/img]
[b]June Monthly Update & Press Conference[/b][/center]

Welcome to the June edition of the STA Monthly Update. As this is my first time hosting since become the new Minister of Foreign Affairs I'd like to note the one notable change to these press conferences. I always enjoyed Tygaland's weekly State of the Alliance addresses as well as the NPO's Quarterly Updates so I thought I'd mix the two to provide Bob with a bit more info about what we've been doing before opening the floor for questions.

In domestic news we've been steadily rebuilding from our previous war. Currently we have 84 members that when added together provide us with a total nation strength slightly above 2.4 million and an average nation strength of just above 29,000. Of course we expect these numbers to continue to rise as our nations return to and surpass their prewar levels.

While our recent war wasn't all fun and games, we lost a good handful of members and are in the process of trying to refill our ranks, we did come away with our fair share of entertainment in the form of our traditional Nuclear Olympics. Our rulers are judged on four criteria (Nukes Launched, Nukes Taken, Enemy Nukes Shot Down, and Own Nukes Shot Down) then the medal winners from each category are totaled up and overall champions are announced. This season Lakerzz8 came in first place with three total medals (2 gold, 1 silver), Uhtred in second (1 gold, 1 bronze), and Shodemofi in third (1 gold). The entire list is available [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/293710/NukeOlympicsEarly2011.pdf]here[/url].

Rounding out the war news was our tradition presentation of war ribbons to all our nations. Every nation that fought in the war received the war ribbon: [img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/293710/GREENpoo.jpg[/img] while those who bravely took one or more nukes in the defense of the alliance were also honored with the nuke variant: [img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/293710/GREENpoonuke.jpg[/img]

Things have been unusually quiet on the military front since our war. We only recently received our first rogue attack, targeted at one of our Cadets. Our government responded very quickly and the issue is expected to be resolved shortly.

Outside our alliance things have been reasonably quiet as well with two notable exceptions. First, our friends in The Phoenix Federation finished their additional two weeks of fighting as mandated by their peace terms. We're glad to see them in the clear with the rest of our allies and wish them the best of luck as they join us in rebuilding. Second, we're saddened to note the disbandment/merger of our friends in The Order Of Light. While we never held more than a PIAT with TOOL we wish a bright future as their members merge into TPF or seek out other homes.

With that I'll now open up the floor for questions. Remember, the usual rules apply. We'll answer most anything as honestly and openly as we can but we ask that you ask a real question. Drive by queries like "what do you think of my alliance" will be ignored.

[quote name='William Bonney' timestamp='1307070309' post='2722901']
If one tries to fail and succeeds in doing so, have they failed or succeeded?
[/quote]

Is that like the "If someone fails at committing suicide, do they just feel worse because it's one more thing they suck at?" question?

[quote name='William Bonney' timestamp='1307070309' post='2722901']
If one tries to fail and succeeds in doing so, have they failed or succeeded?
[/quote]

That's a good example of an ignorable question. Perhaps you have a backup one you'd like to ask. Something to do with STA even?

[quote name='berbers' timestamp='1307071278' post='2722910']
Who was your favourite opponent during the last war and why?
(Alliance, attacking or defending)
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken it was Argent that we generally agreed was our best opponent. Unlike some of the others who either just ghost declared on us just to bring in their allies or who just seemed unprepared for war Argent gave us a good coordinated fight.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1307071504' post='2722915']
Aw heck, I'll give this question a try.

Will STA be doing anything to try to avoid a repeat of another war with the sides being generally the same as the last?
[/quote]

The last war came to us. VE claimed NpO spied, we strongly disagreed and stuck by our ally as we rightly should have. If someone from the same side chooses to unjustly attack one of our allies again then the results will be the same.

[quote name='KainIIIC' timestamp='1307072275' post='2722922']
How do you feel about the white sphere these days?
[/quote]

I'm no Minister of Finance (that's an internal STA joke btw) and I haven't looked for a trade in ages so I'm not the best one to comment on the economic front, but I think things are going well enough. Politically we have both friends and allies on white and things are going well there. As for white in general we are Siberian Tigers. We blend in well here. :)

[quote name='Ragashingo' timestamp='1307072896' post='2722927']
The last war came to us. VE claimed NpO spied, we strongly disagreed and stuck by our ally as we rightly should have. If someone from the same side chooses to unjustly attack one of our allies again then the results will be the same.
[/quote]

It doesn't bother you that our side wasn't able to put together a winning coalition in a war that most everyone could see coming? Why/why not?

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1307073033' post='2722928']
Who do you hate more, PB or DH, and why.
[/quote]

I'm not going to pick sides like that. Certainly neither is my favorite on Bob primarily because of the most recent wars. Both we and our allies took a lot of unnecessary damage because of those wars. That said, war's long done, and I intent to give the alliances of both groups the same respect and courtesy that I'd give to any other alliance.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1307073986' post='2722933']
It doesn't bother you that our side wasn't able to put together a winning coalition in a war that most everyone could see coming? Why/why not?
[/quote]

We didn't fight in a war that anyone saw coming. Really, I think your question is much more relevant to the NPO than it is to us.