Reformation of the Confederation of Arctic Nations

Californian

The following diplomatic transmission, drafted by the Greenland Ministry of Foreign Affairs and personally approved by the President, was sent to the following Northern nations around the world. (OOC: If you aren't on the list but wish to participate, please PM me first).

Commonwealth of Canada
Blue Heaven
Holy Empire of Ursalia
Kingdom of Manitoba
Ontario
Republique du Quebec
Free State of Nova Scotia
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Slavorussia
Serenessima Republika Vauleya
Commonwealth of Buryatia
Arctica
United Federation of the East
Boston Federacy
Germanisk Forbund

[quote]

To the Honorable Government of [insert nation];

Greetings from the newly sovereign Federal Republic of Greenland. With our right to self-determination now fully realized, we wish to further cooperation and prosperity among the nations that call the North their home. Many years ago the Confederation of Arctic Nations was formed as an alliance dedicated to such a goal, and for decades it successfully promoted these ideals. The Federal Republic of Greenland considers itself a successor state to the Federal Republic of Groenlandia as well as the Atlantic States, both of which were active members in the previous Confederation of Arctic Nations, and we believe it is in our interests as well as those of other Arctic nations to visit the possibility of re-starting such an organization.

A meeting of foreign ministers will be held in the Greenland capital city of Höfuðborgarsvæðinukrokurfjordur and I encourage you to attend to help shape and support the rise of this once noble alliance of friends. The meeting will be held in two weeks time and I ask you inform me of your intentions to attend so that acceptable accommodations may be provided for you and your delegation. Until then, may God continue to look favorably upon you and your nation.

Respectfully,

[i]Kristjan Vilhjálmsson[/i]
[b]Minister of Foreign Affairs
Federal Republic of Greenland[/b]
[/quote]

OOC: Please feel free to RSVP however you wish, but please do RP as though you are entering the meeting room if you do attend. Assume standard diplomatic protocols were followed at your arrival and that you drove through the city in a limousine. Your delegate is seated in a large room with glasses of water, those really cool small flags of your country, and a big map with the North Pole in the middle.

Edited by Californian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queen Jessica Bonaparte-Windsor and Air Marshal Van Damn took the allocated seats after being ordered to represent the UK at the CAN by the Queen. Her father, Napoleon of Canada was a member of the old CAN. She intended to maintain at least one part of her family legacy.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, it is a pleasure to meet you all. I especially thank Greenland for extending an invitation, my Father helped uphold this organisation, I intend to do the same." she said, smiling at the delegates taking their seats around her.

Roger and Dorothy Smith walked in the room and greeted the Greenlanders and the English.

"How is everyone today?" Roger asked. After he and Dorothy sat down he noticed the name of the English queen, as did Dorothy. She passed Roger a note which read: [i]I think that the Queen of England may be related to the Bonaparte from the Imperium of Canada.[/i]

Edited by kitex

The United Federation of the East's delegation leader was the Imperial Regent, the imposing tall shaved bald man entered the conference with a sizable entourage of aides and body guards (who dutifully waited outside).

The Imperial Regent had come prepared with full dossiers on all the participants. Needless to say he had come prepared. The Federation at the moment was quite satisfied with the degree of openness that the arctic enjoyed as far as the conduct of certain things, and he was especially pleased with the political cooperation of the Arctic powers, particularly the Asian ones to goals of that end. Thusly, Kou made special arrangements to meet privately with both the Vauleyo and Burytia delegations, as well as the Ursalians to whom the UFE was treatied.

Representing the Vaulian delegation would be Crown Prince Yuri Zenn, and Deputy Prime Minister Adam Kerbev. After greeting their hosts, the Prince and the Deputy Prime Minister take their seats at the conference table and wait for the meeting to begin. Deputy Prime Minister Kerbev remained calm and collected while the Crown Prince appeared slightly nervous.

Jean-Marie Daladier was selected to attend on behalf of the Union of Arctica. He was considered to be the best man for the job, given his former ambassadorship to Disparu and tenure as representative to the first incarnation of the CAN, where the Union was an observer nation.

Monsieur Daladier seemed to fit the mold of someone in his station in life. He was middle-aged, with reading glasses suspended from his neck, and had a look about him that said he was accustomed to such international conferences. He had learned his trade in a European university and practiced it in conference halls in Arctica and Disparu. He seemed like a veteran diplomat, despite the fact that you won't see his name on any of Arctica's treaties thus far, or even on the meeting minutes, he had been Arctica's eyes and ears in the former CAN and had made sure that Arctica's supply shipments to its northern territory had some smoothly with regards to the government of old Disparu.

And now he seated himself where the ushers led him, accompanied by a small team of assistants who unobtrusively set up a laptop and handed the older man his notes.

A figure strode into the room, wearing a simple but fanciful outfit that illustrated his high rank.

However, he was not a mere diplomatic official. He was J Thomas Christopher, the Grand Vizier, the second powerful man in the Empire after the Imperator. Leaving his personal security team outside the room, the Grand Vizier strode to his seat and sat down.

He wordlessly scanned the other delegates with a small smile, patiently waiting for the meeting to begin. He looked at the UFE Regent and nodded once.

[img]http://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/05/AP110530031118-copy.jpg[/img]

The towering Assembly Secretary for North American Cooperation and Arctic Sovereignty, Gregory Ramos, strode off of the small Republique aircraft and entered the black limousine waiting for him on the tarmac. As he rode through the streets of Höfuðborgarsvæðinukrokurfjordur Ramos mentally prepared himself for the meeting to come.

----

Seated at the negotiating table, Ramos noticed to his discomfort that the chairs had not been designed to support someone of his height. The seven foot politician shrugged it off, however. He was used to it, after all.

Edited by New Frontier

Michael Fredrickson entered the room wide eyed and in awe as he glanced at the people gathered from across the globe. However, after realizing how unprofessional a look this appearance gave him, he quickly traded his expression for something more serious. With the President of Ontario, Akira Williamson, busy dealing with recent weather-related catastrophes occurring in his country, the duty had fallen on Michael to attend the meeting. He quickly found his seat and quietly sat down, sipping his glass of water and exchanging a friendly nod with a another attendee nearby.

President Alejandro Californian and Foreign Minister Kristjan Vilhjálmsson represented the Federal Republic of Greenland at the conference. When all the delegates and representatives had arrived and were seated comfortably, the doors to the conference room closed, guards standing to attention just outside. When the chatter amongst the men and women had died down, Californian stood up and addressed the room.

"Thank you all for attending today's conference, I think you will find it was well worth your time. Now the matter at hand: reforming the defunct Confederation of Arctic Nations. Greenland stands behind me when I say now is the time to restore this organization that had helped unite the Arctic region for decades. It is unfortunate the previous Confederation of Arctic Nations dissolved to a lack of activity amongst member nations, but I absolutely believe that we have enough enthusiasm, motivation, and support at the current moment to reform it.

I believe any trans-Arctic organization should involve three things: ensuring Arctic defense, promoting Arctic prosperity through economic measures, and promoting Arctic unity in order to increase cross-cultural exchange and achieve common goals. Last time the Confederation of Arctic Nations was primarily composed of North American nations, however as you can see representatives from Europe and Asia are also present. It is my hope that the CAN can be a true representation of the Arctic, if at all possible, and I welcome input from all nations. Finally, I believe that this bloc should maintain some sort of observer status, so all interested nations can share in the Arctic dialogue.

Enclosed in the files in front of all of you are the old CAN charter as well as Arctic Defense Doctrine. I believe these are a good jumping off point for any discussion on the new Confederation of Arctic Nations. (OOC: Found in the first post here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=74739 ).

I now turn over the discussion to all of you present. Please feel free to express your questions, comments, and suggestions on a new charter for the Confederation of Arctic Nations as well as the organization itself"

And with that, the microphones in front of each representative were turned on and all could talk freely.

Ramos glanced at his aide, Martin St. Croix, before adjusting the microphone before him and beginning to speak. A friendly Maritime accent rolled from his lips, a disarmingly warm voice being one of the reasons for his appointment to his post.

"First of all, I would just like to say, on behalf of the Republic of Quebec, that we are honoured to be included in this discussion and that we hope to work closely with all of you, regardless of how this specific meeting ends.

"Now, I think there are some pretty major questions to be asked here, especially if we want to be working towards a military agreement. Looking over this Charter from the original Confederation, I know that Quebec would not feel comfortable being in this kind of a union where new nations could be accepted with a simple majority. The idea that Quebec could be responsible for the defence of a nation not of its choosing is somewhat frightening, to be completely honest with you."

Taking a drink of water, Ramos shuffled the papers and continued on.

"The charter is also somewhat vague. For instance, if a CAN nation is the aggressor in war, would we protect our brother from outside interference or would we stay on the sidelines while large nations stepped in?"

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1307077589' post='2722960']
Ramos glanced at his aide, Martin St. Croix, before adjusting the microphone before him and beginning to speak. A friendly Maritime accent rolled from his lips, a disarmingly warm voice being one of the reasons for his appointment to his post.

"First of all, I would just like to say, on behalf of the Republic of Quebec, that we are honoured to be included in this discussion and that we hope to work closely with all of you, regardless of how this specific meeting ends.

"Now, I think there are some pretty major questions to be asked here, especially if we want to be working towards a military agreement. Looking over this Charter from the original Confederation, I know that Quebec would not feel comfortable being in this kind of a union where new nations could be accepted with a simple majority. The idea that Quebec could be responsible for the defence of a nation not of its choosing is somewhat frightening, to be completely honest with you."

Taking a drink of water, Ramos shuffled the papers and continued on.

"The charter is also somewhat vague. For instance, if a CAN nation is the aggressor in war, would we protect our brother from outside interference or would we stay on the sidelines while large nations stepped in?"
[/quote]

Kristjan Vilhjálmsson gave an approving smile to the man after he had finished speaking. Hopefully he would be discussing more with this man later as President Californian had made it clear that relations with neighbors were of the utmost importance, no matter whether they decided to pursue membership in the CAN or not.

"You bring up a valid point and I think the regulations for membership would need to be re-examined. Before there were fewer countries in the Arctic and the organization was limited almost exclusively to Canadian nations. Nations from different continents may be in this bloc and it's important it consists of members who are willing to defend each other when the time calls for it. I propose that each member applying for membership be given the opportunity to work with the CAN through observer status for a predetermined amount of time. This allows the nation to prove its interest and dedication and allows member nations to gauge whether the applicant would be a good fit for the Confederation of Arctic Nations. Finally, a vote would be taken by the CAN members and after unanimous agreement the applicant would be accepted.

In regards to your second question, I believe the CAN should be strictly mutual defense, and not mutual aggression, to ensure situations like you give in your example do not occur. We don't want nations to start aggressive wars knowing that fellow CAN members are treaty bound to assist them. I believe CAN should help mediate a dispute between the two opposing sides and fellow members should not be disallowed from organizing and assisting that nation. The decision to help that nation should be based on the merits and circumstances of what is happening, rather than words on paper."

The United Federation of the East staunchly opposes a mutual defense pact amongst all arctic nation with little regard for previous interaction with or political affiliation alongside. We believe that mutual defense pacts are best accomplished between nations that have things in common, and are true friends. Creating one prematurely is in our view a recipe for its irrelevancy. Further as a matter of policy we do not believe that placing our soldiers or anyone's soldiers under permanent multi-national command, especially when there is so little contact between the parties prior serves any real purpose other than as a show of token unity.

It is the Federation's opinion that any attempt at 'Arctic Unity' be much better defined and be built from the ground floor rather than attempting to start at the top. I would start with the question of what constitutes 'Arctic Territory' Is it if you are in the arctic circle, is it if most of your nation is at the arctic or sub arctic areas? Or is it simply having a speck of land.

I mean lets be honest there, there is a whole lot less of a reason for some of us to be here than others. If you have a program as ambitious as this, you have to ask what is the definition of Arctic, what does each power here assembled today define themselves as. My country has a saying no law is better than a bad law. While most of the 'ancient chinese sayings' are bull !@#$, this one has merit. Treaties are laws entered into by nations. The legitimacy of treaty systems as a whole and ultimately international diplomacy is the respect that nations have for the rule of law in binding agreements. When you have a bunch of nations, including the UFE whose vast amounts of population lay outside the Arctic Circle, I would imagine it is a strain except for geopolitical convinience or desperation to say that their highest priority would be Arctic Peace as opposed to European Peace, Asian Peace, African Peace etc.

"I must agree with the Imperial Regent on this point; many of the governments represented here have minimal holdings within the Arctic. I presume that my nation has been invited to these talks with the basis of its holdings within the Arctic Circle.

However, the Union's observer status in the first incarnation of the CAN was based simply on interests that we held in the Canadian Arctic islands. It is true that these islands were once the core of the former Republic of Arctica, but in 2008, a migration was made to Madagascar, and the Union was formed. The two are different, similar only in name and in the fact that the same man is the head of state. In the previous years, we have become an African nation, with an African population base and African interests and allies.

The former core of the Republic, including Mackenzie King Island, Borden Island, Brock Island, and two recently acquired islets, is no longer a population base. The buildings of Arctica City, left unpopulated and without maintenance, are covered in snow and the only human presence is a scientific outpost housing several hundred scientists and soldiers.

This is the extent of our interests in the area, and our observer status in the former CAN as well as our diplomatic relations with Disparu, Cyneriice Northan, etc., were steps taken to ensure free and unmolested supply traffic.

I am grateful that my government has been invited here today to have our voice heard, but I wish to impart upon you, we will not seek membership within the CAN. We will instead seek observer status to facilitate good relations with regional powers."

Daladier took a drink of water. "Given that the Union will not seek full membership, I will refrain from discussing the details of the charter as it pertains to full members, but will offer input on the parts that pertain to observers."

The Commonwealth of Canada is open to the idea of reforming the CAN, however we must agree with issues raised by both Quebec and the UFE. We do not wish for Canadian troops and resources to be committed to a multi-national force, espicialy with nations we have previously had little or no contact with. We would howver be willing to supply troops to peacekeeping operations and for the holding of a Security Council. We also agree with observer status before full membership for new applicant.

Edited by Aggressivenutmeg

"I fully agree with any applicants having to remain an observer for at least a set amount of time so that the council can grasp a better understanding of said applicant nation. As for mutual defence, I'm also hesitant to sign a charter which could put British forces on the line for a Nation that we have never had much contact with, or frequently shows resentment or hostility to the UK" said Jessica, her last point aimed at the Imperial Regent though she did not look at him, or make any indication towards him.

"However, if we dont start somewhere to begin relations, international friendships, then they are not formed and nothing changes. Think for example of when your looking for your first job. You try all the stores in town and nobody will employ you for lack of experience, yet you dont gain the experience unless somebody employs you. I am by no means suggesting people fly blind when entering this treaty, but the old charter lasted over a decade before its final members collapsed into anarchy, proof that it works. Its only fault was that it was not a pan arctic bloc, only pan American Arctic."

Nataliya Valueva listened carefully before finally she spoke. "I feel that Buryatia would be willing to participate in the CAN, but we would be unwilling as other delegates have said, to dedicate any of our military strength to protect a nation we have no ties with. We would however like the Commonwealth of Canada be also willing to support peacekeeping and any humanitarian operations.

We would however ask for more clarity concerning Economical Advancement issues as we feel as this would need to be restricted to civilian technology only. We also feel that any proposed security council would need to have sufficient powers to be of any value to the organisation when passing resolutions. Otherwise it would be pointless having one."

Ramos sighed.

"So you want a powerful Security Council in an organization with no power? If all we are building this organization for is humanitarian missions, why bother restricting it to Arctic Nations at all?"

Exasperated, Ramos fired a text message back to Cherie Lalonde, his diplomatic superior, the Foreign Minister. [i]"I have a feeling this is going to be a waste of our time."[/i]

"I'm glad we have a healthy dialogue going on right now," Californian said as during a momentary ebb in the conversation at hand.

"Let me address some of the concerns brought up. The CAN Charter will definitely include a mutual defense provision, this is a key component of the organization as well as defense and unity in the Arctic. If your nation is unwilling to commit to such a provision, as the UFE and Buryatia have already indicated, you are certainly more than welcome to apply as observers to the pact, allowing you to have your voice still be heard.

It seems its agreed that a multi-national defense force is off the tables for now, which is quite understandable. I feel as though the Security Council should be primarily tasked with coordinating efforts of member states when providing defensive support to a fellow member under attack. When the MDP portion of the treaty is activated it would be a great advantage to coordinate efforts through one unified command, with each nation still retaining control over their armed forces."

"Having a two-tier system in which there is mandatory defence and in which there isn't seems like a good idea to me. The concept of mutual defence requires the mutual aspect, so if one nation is unwilling to follow through to help others in a military situation or isn't capable of doing so, they should not agree to it. This should not be, however, disqualify them from contributing to the rest of the pact in non-military ways.

"As for the issue of a Security Council, the Bostonian delegation agrees with the previous statement: it should be tasked with coordinating efforts of member states when providing defensive support."

"The Holy Empire would be willing to defend prospect CAN members in its immediate vicnity, although our power projection capacities in defending distant CAN members are rather limited at this time." The Grand Vizier spoke up.

"With that, the Empire supports the concept of a Security Council to coordinate efforts of member states in providing defensive support to CAN members in event of outside attack."

At this time, Christopher's cell phone rang. He checked it, it was a text from his girlfriend, Nicole. He sighed to himself.