An age that has passed, an age that has yet to come.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely not a day I ever wished to see. But as many have said, alluded to and speculated on - it was indeed a much maligned but required decision to be made. 4 and some years ago I was determined to start an alliance from scratch which would follow through on a set of principals that I struggled to find in my early days in CN. A struggle which I find almost harder now to find. The glimpses of integrity, understanding and compassion are even more rare and even further buried in a lust for smashing stuff up.

I realise that where we reside here is not serious for everyone, and each to their own. It needs all types for things to move forward in anyone's liking. Variety is required across the board for all to function the way they wish. So that is something I find the saddest with having to lock the doors to TOOL behind me. That an option has been removed from the shelf.

TOOL has been more than just a place to kick back in CN for me. I have made many friends from this experience, and more memories then can come to my fingers as I type this. I still have fond memories of all the stages TOOL has gone through with specific shout-outs to Italyfan, Dshagins, KillJoy, NeoAnderson, William Blake, Clockwork, Bodebiek, LegendKiller, Dodoei123, BamaBuc, Salmia, Willem who all in my time of leading TOOL gave more than I could ever ask of them. And some too much. To those I have overlooked it is not for the want of trying but just a mindless absence in this time of overwhelming nostalgia and emotion.

To those who have more recently called TOOL home. Apologies that I have not been there for you as much as I may have been in the past. And in a large way I see this merging as a personal failure on my part that we havent lasted the test of time. I know this is probably wrong of me to put on myself, but TOOL was my creation and my baby for so long that it is inevitable. I only hope the community spirit rolls with each member to improve the new homes we all find ourselves joining.

---

First thing I want to express is a huge thank you to Mushroom Kingdom and Umbrella for their understanding of TOOL's predicament. Both during the war, during our surrender and now following through with the discussions our alliances had about this possibility. I know it cant have been easy to make concessions, but it is a huge gesture of mercy more than anything else on TOOL that you have done this; to both disallow the war dragging on needlessly and also allowing TOOL to move on. So thank you, it has not gone unappreciated.

Secondly, for me the idea of merging into an ally was up until this last war something which I merely would not dream of. TOOL has always held its treaties, one and all, as equal. Putting the same weight on each in order to maintain a balanced and sure-footed foundation for our dependents and our support structure. So the idea that merging, and picking an alliance out of our allies to be the ONE was always going to be tough. Some may wonder why then that TOOL has diverged from that idea here, and as some have asked 'Why TPF?'. Well, to answer that directly, this last war has had a dramatic impact on TOOL. Treaties were militarily ignored. Conflicting ideals cropped up where we thought none existed and, I guess to complete my own personal thoughts, TPF have been the only ally to be there for TOOL both in consistent support and consistent action from the days of being our Protector to now.

I do not wish to belittle or speak negatively of any ally in a moment like this. Because I dont hold ill-will at all. I respect and understand their positions 100%, I know how tough it would of been for them and like TOOL has asked previous allies in the past - sometimes you must accept a differing opinion even from friends. But like with RoK before, NEW and Argent - times strain when those differing ideals are poked at. And perhaps it is TOOL's steadfast (maybe rigid) principles it can be sometimes a no-shade-of-grey situation. I want to thank IRON and FEAR for being there after the war to aid and prop up a lurching ship, to give us time to make this decision and organise ourselves one last time. It was immensely supportive even in the knowledge that we would be parting ways. So thank you both.

Lastly, to TPF; thank you deeply for the effort in the last few weeks to make this transition as easy as possible for TOOL members. There is huge sadness, but also excitement about what will come of this move. And I hope to see it through for as long as I can. So here is to a long and successful merging of our alliances.

o/ TOOL - so long and farewell.

Forever for the Light!

grahamkeatley

This is obviously a sad day in CN, to see such a long-standing alliance come to a close, but opportunities come and go, all that shimmers is sure to fade away, and ultimately we are simply along for the ride.

To the TOOL members, I extend my condolences, as well as open arms of welcome. We must look to the future without forgetting the past, great accomplishments have been made in the past, but great opportunities for the future are all around us.

[quote name='Banksy' timestamp='1306844190' post='2721311']
I don't think the TOOL merger will have any effect on that.
[/quote]

We presently have 113 members and 3.25 million NS. I guess if you consider that a micro, then MK is obviously not a premier, top tier alliance, what with your mere 144 members and 4.9 million NS.

[quote name='LJ Scott' timestamp='1306840222' post='2721296']
I thought TPF was a micro-alliance these days.[/quote]

TPF doesn't go to hell, they reload.

TOOL: You made your mark on this world in a way that the haters can never take from you. My interactions with TOOL were always pleasant, professional when it was called for, and discrete when necessary. I knew that when I talked with TOOL government I was speaking with someone who had integrity. It's a same to lose the likes of you from this world, but in a real sense your legacy will be continued by those who called you home. May your former members always remember the good things for which that TOOL stood.

GK, though there was always something that stood in the way of a formal relationship between us, you more than anyone are responsible for Olympus being here. There was nothing for you to gain, but still you didn't hesitate to reach out and pull four disillusioned players back from the abyss. You will never understand what that meant (and continues to mean) to me.

There are core principles that we have embraced because of what you did for us. Every time we offer hospitality, every time we try to make things just a little easier for folks who are going through difficulty, those are TOOL's legacy. The Light isn't gone. I hope that when you look our direction (and in the direction of many others like us), you can still see it glowing.

I'm not saying good-bye to TOOL. That would be wrong. TOOL isn't gone, the Light is just being spread more widely. Godspeed in your new homes.

Sorry to see this happen TOOL. I've got some good memories of working with you guys back in my Zenith days. You were always pleasant to deal with. Good luck in TPF, glad to be allied to you again.

o/ TOOL

[quote name='MikeTheFirst' timestamp='1306837228' post='2721279']
Yes, please do. It just shows you know nothing about what's going on on that side of the web. Not that I'm too surprised about that, considering you're in one of those fail alliances that should've disbanded a long time ago, too.
[/quote]

"shows you know nothing..." is also a good retort for what your member originally said. Also your "your alliance is fail, therefore you are wrong" is an exceptionally bad argument, which likely means you had no actual argument.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1306820475' post='2721200']
Do I really even need to explain why a member of iFOK shouldn't be saying such a thing?
[/quote]

Yes. I'd really like to see that explanation. Please oblige.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1306855701' post='2721381']
"shows you know nothing..." is also a good retort for what your member originally said. Also your "your alliance is fail, therefore you are wrong" is an exceptionally bad argument, which likely means you had no actual argument.
[/quote]

Still waiting on that reasoning.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1306855701' post='2721381']
[/quote]

What was your argument again? Oh wait, you didn't put any up. Don't use 'witty' rhetoric if you can't substantiate it.

[quote name='Captain Mudfoot' timestamp='1306810137' post='2721031']
TOOL was my home for better then 2 years.. I was able to learn alot from them, and forge some great friendships there. This is a sad announcement, I will miss seeing you all as an alliance together. Even though I've found a home away from you all, you've always been my friends, and I've always thought well of you guys. Best wishes to each and every one of you and I hope you all enjoy your new home in TPF.

Best wishes and one last
o/TOOL
[/quote]

[quote name='Calderone' timestamp='1306813771' post='2721092']
Sad to see this come and best wishes to all of you formerly of TOOL. You were my first home and I've never forgotten the good times and solid foundation I gained under Graham et al.

Safe journeys all. :awesome:
[/quote]

[quote name='dragonknight1000' timestamp='1306814437' post='2721098']
I feared this would happen but still quite saddening to see nonetheless :(

served nearly 2.5 years under the TOOL aa from my start in CN to mid 2010, tons of great times, down times and all around winning community; no need for shoutouts since all of you are cool fellas so regardless of where you go: don't ever change ;)

one final O/TOOL and best of luck

P.S. when will we see the 1st batch of Phoenix Shakes available to the public market?
[/quote]

[quote name='silentkiller' timestamp='1306815776' post='2721118']
My very first alliance.

Goodbye TOOL :(
[/quote]

[quote name='R3nowned' timestamp='1306830720' post='2721262']
Weren't those the days... That was one treaty I truly regret seeing being cancelled.

Also, on topic: Good riddance TOOL

:wub::wub:
[/quote]

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' timestamp='1306841820' post='2721302']
Sorry to see you go TOOL, but it was time. It was fun seeing you guys reach sanction and always honoring your pacts.

Dibs on Dealmaster.
[/quote]

[quote name='rabonnobar' timestamp='1306842528' post='2721304']
Rest in peace, TOOL. <3
[/quote]

[quote name='William Blake' timestamp='1306848725' post='2721336']
Well said, Graham. I hope you stick around in the game for a while yet. It was a pleasure working with you and the rest of the TOOLies of old.

o/
[/quote]

For all those who have come through TOOL at some point in your CN lives. I want to thank you all. It goes without saying that an alliance is made up of its members, but TOOL has had its abundant share of really great members. Many of whom I am glad to see still around and remembering TOOL in some fashion. Hope you are all well, and perhaps now without an alliance of 'my own' I will have time to get reacquainted with some.

GK