Admin, why do you hate freedom?

Kzoppistan

[quote name='Vladimir' timestamp='1306598021' post='2719535']
You need to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology"]broaden your horizons[/url], comrade. Though it should be further noted that the happiness bonus brought about by democracy here is transitory and ultimately illusionary.

Looking at the nation as a unitary object and ignoring the fundamental class divisions within it is a transparent attempt to separate the economic base from the political superstructure, and thus to obscure the whole reality of our being. As a result Admin misses the long-term trend towards working class immiseration and instead picks up on the decadent wealth and power of a ruling class brought about by a defunct economic system and its associated so-called 'democratic' superstructure. He then proceeds to present this decadence as a universal 'happiness', when in fact far from providing this what we actually see is the happiness of the exploiting and the woe of the exploited. This can only be interpreted as a hostile attempt by Admin to hide the immeserated from popular consciousness by a process of social cleansing that can only be reminiscent of Germany in the mid-1930s.
[/quote]

I don't think the happiness bonus is derived from an assumed economic well-being and resulting material "happiness" that comes from the market economy associated with a democratic government, since obviously that has not historically consistently held true. Rather, I believe the happiness bonus comes from the average citizens' (and I mean as in "average" citizen in any class, as I know you'd hate for me to judge general happiness from the typical middle class citizen) sense of consolation from having some voice in governance. Though I am sure you will call such consolation an empty feeling due to the fact that having a vote is dwarfed by the fact that a democratic system of government generally creates a class of citizens without means to support themselves, that does not mean that citizens do not still feel the false sense of importance and/or satisfaction that suffrage brings.

[quote name='Vladimir' timestamp='1306598021' post='2719535']
You need to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology"]broaden your horizons[/url], comrade. Though it should be further noted that the happiness bonus brought about by democracy here is transitory and ultimately illusionary.

Looking at the nation as a unitary object and ignoring the fundamental class divisions within it is a transparent attempt to separate the economic base from the political superstructure, and thus to obscure the whole reality of our being. As a result Admin misses the long-term trend towards working class immiseration and instead picks up on the decadent wealth and power of a ruling class brought about by a defunct economic system and its associated so-called 'democratic' superstructure. He then proceeds to present this decadence as a universal 'happiness', when in fact far from providing this what we actually see is the happiness of the exploiting and the woe of the exploited. This can only be interpreted as a hostile attempt by Admin to hide the immeserated from popular consciousness by a process of social cleansing that can only be reminiscent of Germany in the mid-1930s.

I contend therefore that equating the happiness of an exploiting class to the happiness of an entire nation is a ludicrous proposal -- that happiness for the slave owners is no happiness at all. And I conclude that the appropriate response is to remove the happiness bonus from democracy.

And we all know that Kalasin would get a room with me anyway. After all, as well as being a Marxist I am devilishly handsome and charismatic. Kzoppistan can come too.
[/quote]
As a member of the working class, I must say I am pretty happy myself. :smug:

[quote name='Carfre Inpor' timestamp='1306920636' post='2721933']
Why don't we just vote democracy out of the game?
[/quote]

Communism is direct democracy, comrade. It's all about voting. We just remove the evil imperialist government which only represents the interest of the dominant class and replace it with the people's rule. What's more, when everyone realises their objective self-interest, they will be perfectly united in mind and thought, and thus vote for exactly the same thing. With the eradication of classes and class warfare, worldwide peace will ensue and everyone will live happily ever after.

Edited by Kalasin