5 years...

Hyperion321

As of update tonight, I will have been in CN for 5 long, brutal, glorious years. Normally I'd say "what the hell am I still doing here" and hover over the delete button for a minute or so before closing the tab like a coward, but tonight is different. I actually [i]like[/i] that I've been here so long. I feel like I have a lot of history in this place, and for the first time in a long time...I'm proud of that. CN has gotten me through a lot in my life. When my brother died and I couldn't face anyone without breaking down, Tulak and his infinite drunk wisdom was there on the other side of my computer offering the friendship I needed. When my girlfriend cheated on me with my best friend, I had the pleasure of organizing a war on GR to distract myself. If I ever have a bad day at work, I have a community of hundreds of people to talk to that helps me relax and take things less seriously. I might not know all of you like I do the people out in the real world, but I consider you all my friends never the less, and I thank you for everything you've given me.

I know it might seem weird to some, but I hope there are others out there that share my sentiments that CN has been a surprisingly important part of my life for the last 5 years. As a stupid high school sophomore stepping into a world full of college political science majors and the occasional rocket scientist (hi Pearl), you guys taught me a lot...more that you realize actually. If it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't know how to write essay length walls of text with college level arguments (no seriously, your guys' constant OWF demonstrations on how to write got me through high school English. You have no idea how many times I've stolen Vlad's vocabulary and got A's for it). The OWF taught me how to keep a cool-ish head when dealing with morons, and how to debate with people that were much, much smarter than me. CN gave me a reason to learn statistics, and more importantly keep that knowledge. You taught me excel. You taught me interpersonal communication. You all taught me more about life, education, politics, math, and a myriad of other subjects that school [i]ever[/i] has, and I sincerely thank you all for contributing to the person I am today. Even if CN contributed to less than stellar grades during every war, I truly believe it was this game that gave me a reason to learn. Like it or not, you guys inspired me to try to be smart. To try to be a better person. As a 20 year old man, the teenager in me still strives to be like you guys, and I thank admin every day for giving me this community. Without it, who knows what I would be.

So, thanks for the last 5 years, CN. I'm not usually one for shout outs, but I think this occasion warrants them. I've gotten to know a lot of you people since I was 15, so I apologize if I forget some of you. Just know that it's not on purpose. :wub:

Tulak - My oldest and greatest friend in this game. It's been many, many years since TAG, and I'm grateful for everyone one of them. I know you might get frustrated when I start/almost start a war every few months, but what makes you an awesome person is that no matter what you still have my best interest at heart and you have always had my back. I owe a lot to you man...starting with a few drinks.

Darklink - I still remember when you were a brand new nation in Sparta. The fact that you rose through the ranks so quickly is proof of how awesome you are. You're a great Spartan, and even better friend. I'm lucky to know you.

Trin/Dave - My political consciences in this game. You guys have no idea how much you have taught me about how to tactfully interact with people to get what I want. I actually applied some of the lessons you've taught me, like disagreeing without actually disagreeing, in my interviews for internships (It worked btw). CN has taught me a lot, and you guys are a huge part of that.

OJ/KDL/HisK/Cloud/Kronnn/blueeyes - There were times when I would be on skype calls for literally 8 hours a day with you guys. You provided some of the hardest laughs of my life, and I'm eternally grateful for your friendship.

Pearl - Of course the one time I need you to help me with math homework and I get "I don't know managerial statistics" as an answer. What good is a rocket scientist if I can't whore him out to do my homework? Useless...

Alexandros - One of the greatest Spartans of all time. Hands down.

Bush_84 - One of the best, hardest working men I've ever met. Bush_08 should be proud to have you as a dad.

Luka/Wilhelm/KLII - I have lost track of how many hours I've sunk into chats with you guys. You've been among my greatest friends in this game for a long time. o/ all of you!

Roquentin - Whether you are on his side or not, he's one of the greatest alliance leaders of one of the greatest alliances in this game. It's hard to quantify how much I respect you.

Natan/BJ/Imp - One of the greatest trio of military planners I've had the pleasure of working with. Those 16 hour days on irc, even if they were brutal and made my tendinitis flare up like a volcano, were amazingly fun. That counter blitz on IRON made it all worth it, even if my grades disagreed.

Crym/Timb - Nucks take the cup in 5. doesn't matter who they play.

Londo/Rsox/Jgoods - SPARTA IS BEST GREECE

Delta - I've never seen you lose an argument...mainly because you always do the right thing. You're a good person, and you really do balance out a lot of the "not good" people here.

LW/Gambona/Thrawn - You guys are some of the best allies anyone could ever ask for. We really are lucky to know you.

All of Fark/MHA/R&R - If I had to list every single one of you, this thread would go on forever. There's a thousand reasons why I love XX, and all of them are you guys. I've never been more proud to be tied to another group of people in my CN career. You're all completely, utterly awesome, and I can't wait to see where our XX adventures take us.

Well, that about does it. Thanks for all the good times, CN. Here's to another year.

at 783 days i feel like i have been here for ages.. but 5 years? I'm not sure what to say to that :P But I'm glad you're enjoying the game (new beer bloc o/) and all that jazz.

You know if you call out the word "arch" that the exit will appear and you can leave, right? <_<

Congrats on lasting this long. As someone who is now at 4 years, 3 months (plus/minus a few days) I sometimes wonder what 5 years will look like here for me.

Well!

OOC you posted, so OOC I will respond.

I do not believe we have met. My only bias in my response is that, for me, that is a shame. This is a superb post. I believe that, to the average reader of OWF, and to every player of the game, you have eloquently answered a question which, at some point, invades the minds and hearts of every player of the game.

"[i][b]What IS it about CyberNations??[/b][/i]"

My hope is that every player will copy your OP, and keep it close at hand. For those who have not had the trials of your journey, I hope they will keep your words close because they WILL have their trials. Your words will give them hope. For those who grow in our game, and our community, I hope they will keep your words close, because through them they will find direction, and perhaps even purpose. Chronological superiority (age) is not a determinant of maturity, or of wisdom. For those who, like myself, are of a significant chronological superiority (56 years) who have joined the game, and the community, your words will give us peace.

For us all, your words give us honor. Thank you.

Congratulations of the remarkable achievement of five years in peace, and war, and life well lived.

Here's to five more.

Edited by Merlinus

I can really relate to a lot of what you've said. You've always gone all out for your alliance and I can respect that. I also really appreciate the shout out. You've managed to maintain an active presence when most fade away rather quickly and I think that's something really special.

Woah. And I thought I was old with 3 years. :P

Your story is pretty amazing, I'm not going to lie. I like to see all the good things that a game like this has brought to someone, amid all the deletions and stagnation. I haven't had much (if any) business interaction with you, but you seem like a good enough fellow and someone who deserves respect.

Congrats on 5 years. Here's to many more years, wars, and memories.

[quote name='Bob Ilyani' timestamp='1305934640' post='2715783']
Woah. And I thought I was old with 3 years. :P
[/quote]
You're telling me :wacko:

Congrats Hyperion321. I always considered you one of the best players in CN actually. Nice to see the old guard still going strong.

Edited by Ryan Greenberg

Thanks by the way, for making one of the most [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=62408&view=findpost&p=1667291"]classic posts[/url] of all time in NSO's eyes. We tried to use that post, with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V95eGgZbrU"]this video[/url] into a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpF3jO1n9bA"]recruiting video[/url] (sound got wiped :( ).

We also had a blast with you and your alliance in your DoW against Exodus. So thank you for all of the entertainment you've provided us :)

[quote name='KainIIIC' timestamp='1306109216' post='2716803']
Thanks by the way, for making one of the most [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=62408&view=findpost&p=1667291"]classic posts[/url] of all time in NSO's eyes. We tried to use that post, with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V95eGgZbrU"]this video[/url] into a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpF3jO1n9bA"]recruiting video[/url] (sound got wiped :( ).

We also had a blast with you and your alliance in your DoW against Exodus. So thank you for all of the entertainment you've provided us :)
[/quote]
You damn barbarians poached our king (yes, poached, Banned Member admitted to it) [img]http://www.cnsparta.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/argh.gif[/img]

[quote name='Hyperion321' timestamp='1306165702' post='2717005']
You damn barbarians poached our king (yes, poached, Banned Member admitted to it) [img]http://www.cnsparta.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/argh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

that is simply barbaric..

(who are we talking about here again?)