23 Hour Update

[quote name='lennybronx' timestamp='1313890329' post='2785392']
I'm in New York meaning update for me is 1 a.m. For somebody else, update may be 5 a.m.!! Admin won't change the update time just to please a few members. changing update to help yourselves might make it hell for somebody else.... Remember That.
[/quote]
I think "a few members" is over simplifying it, though. Really, Admin should have update at a time where the majority of his players could reasonably be up for it. I don't know if there are more players from the US or Europe, but I would guess the US. If that is the case, than having update at an earlier time would certainly help the game (meaning more players are around update to actually play).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Clash' timestamp='1309241730' post='2743283']
I van see how it would be a very difficult to do a 23 hour update from the standpoint of game coding and whatnot. Everything everywhere (not even just CN) is 24 hours, Admin would have to make some crazy coding changes. The time is based on where the server is, and that's hard to change as well. But still, there has to be a compromise somewhere, something that can be done even if not the 23 hour update.

Changing update so more people can be there for it throughout the round would most definitely improve TE participation, and arguably the fun to be had. Wars would come at different times as well - an alliance like WAPA which has almost no update nations, could then wait til update was more favorable for them before declaring war. It's just more fair. I'm not opposed to trying out new stuff that makes the game more fun for everyone. There has to be something that could be done.

Perhaps update for every nation could be dependent upon when they make their nation? If you make your nation at 3:37pm the first day of the round, your update becomes 3pm server time? That might also elevate alliance coordination - every nation in your alliance then makes their nations at the same time on purpose.
[/quote]
I'm quoting you, but this response is aimed at numerous people.

A lot of back-end things happen at update, so a player-specific update wouldn't work.

The 23 hour update *could* work depending on how admin fires the update process. If it's done with cron/windows scheduled tasks, it could be handled fairly easily. Basically the job would run every hour on the hour and the actual script being executed would check a setting in the DB to find out if it's actually time to run the process and then update that setting to the new update.

I feel like there are more then a couple of members that live on the est. I myself live in New Jersey so I know and understand how hard it is to be on at update most nights. I think a solution to this other then turning the game to a 23 hour update is moving update to 12 am eastern.. this wont help a lot but it would make update more reasonable then the 1 am update.

[quote name='Black Soil' timestamp='1313967735' post='2785823']
I feel like there are more then a couple of members that live on the est. I myself live in New Jersey so I know and understand how hard it is to be on at update most nights. I think a solution to this other then turning the game to a 23 hour update is moving update to 12 am eastern.. this wont help a lot but it would make update more reasonable then the 1 am update.
[/quote]

Right, but the idea is that a 23 hour update would have everyone's update shift back an hour, every day thus it wont benefit/screw over one person who collects or is in war. Every day it would move back an hour so people can't get accustomed to one server reset time. It makes things more fair for everyone and would entirely change the strategic gameplay dynamic.

[quote name='SoADarthCyfe6' timestamp='1313983658' post='2786012']
Right, but the idea is that a 23 hour update would have everyone's update shift back an hour, every day thus it wont benefit/screw over one person who collects or is in war. Every day it would move back an hour so people can't get accustomed to one server reset time. It makes things more fair for everyone and would entirely change the strategic gameplay dynamic.
[/quote]
I do agree with this. My option was just in case there was a high opposition to the idea of the 23 hour update that the hour shift would be easier to accept.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='zephyrmaten' timestamp='1321415275' post='2845358']
Say something Mr. Admin!!
[/quote]

I wish

Personally I would love to see some changes to the update times, getting on for update for an extended period of time can be hell in EST.

As it seems admin finds the 23 hour cycle difficult to implement... I mean we've been asking for it for 2 years now.... I think the simplest answer is to make all forms of attacks (GA, Air,CM's) work somewhat like nukes. You declare, run your first 2 attacks of any type and then wait 24 hours before performing that type of attack again. Update blitz is gone - co-ordination of attack within an alliance is then going to be the deciding factor for a blitz. Update time is no longer a concern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could always make update = time of nation creation for bills/taxes, and update = time of DoW for wars. Then it would almost always be at a convenient time for every player.

[size="1"]Also makes it easier for the euro-commies to stick it to the capitalist pigs, easier for the capitalist pigs to stick it to the convicts, and easier for the convicts to stick it to the euro-commies.[/size]

[quote name='jraenar' timestamp='1328238761' post='2913542'] and update = time of DoW for wars. Then it would almost always be at a convenient time for every player.[/quote]

1. There goes the blitz quad

2. Don't go to work/school, declare at noon game-time, always have defenseless quads and never get quadded.

Elimination of blitz quad is a feature, not a bug. The attacking side already has a huge advantage at war, no need to exacerbate it. Should also alleviate issues with new and/or inexperienced nations getting completely wrecked in raids.

The quads later in a war I don't think are an issue, as it already exists for many players. Current update is afternoon (work time) for Australians, and early morning (zzzzz time) for Europeans. Neither is particularly convenient defending, yet they still manage. This just makes it so they can get the benefits of attacking quads too, without the odd hours.

[quote name='jraenar' timestamp='1328330138' post='2914273']
Elimination of blitz quad is a feature, not a bug. The attacking side already has a huge advantage at war, no need to exacerbate it. Should also alleviate issues with new and/or inexperienced nations getting completely wrecked in raids.

The quads later in a war I don't think are an issue, as it already exists for many players. Current update is afternoon (work time) for Australians, and early morning (zzzzz time) for Europeans. Neither is particularly convenient defending, yet they still manage. This just makes it so they can get the benefits of attacking quads too, without the odd hours.
[/quote]

Don't forget late at night for east coast americans. 1 am isnt exactly convenient.

Well, I don't remember what I posted in here before, but I put more thought into this. I haven't seen what anyone else posted so I don't know what anyone else has said. Plus I just got home a little while ago and may or not have been imbibing recreational beverages for several hours consecutively. So I'm just gonna say stuff lol.

The biggest problem I see with a 23 hour update is that it messes up the real calender. If the round begins at the start of a given month, after 24 days, the 24th day of the month officially becomes the 23rd day of the month. Something like that, right? February 24 becomes February 23? That can't be right, I don't even know if you can code that. I suck at coding, but creating an entirely new clock for the game would be a pain in the buttocks.

Could it be done? We have both real date and time, and CN server date and time?
The round is 90 days long. So that's 90 days x 23 hours for TE Round hours? That's 2070 hours from start to reset.

I dunno, just sayin', whatever.

I think the idea would be for update to just occur at a different CN time each day (moving backwards... so 12am game-time, 11pm game-time, 10pm game-time, etc.). That way CN time still coincides with real time.

I'd personally prefer just having a timer in-between attacks (rather than basing it on update at all)... but a 23 update would be better than the current layout I guess (I'd only have to stay up part of the time, instead of all the time :P ).

Edited by Richard VII

There is no simple answer here unfortunately.

[font="Arial Black"]Current update times[/font]
West Coast 10pm
East Coast 1am
Europe 6-8am
Asia/Western Australia 12-2pm
Australia 3-5pm
NZ - 5-7pm

*Not 100% how DST works for eveyone.

How can we "trial" a new update time for CN:TE to attempt to accommodate everyone? (without alienating anyone either) Because lets face it, "update time" is probably the single biggest issue in retaining CN:SE players, due to the fast paced nature of CN:TE, where wars happen regularly, and if you arent update active, you are at a major disadvantage.

IMO, the biggest issue would be balancing the States with Europe. How do you bring the States back a bit earlier in the evening without royally screwing Europe with an update like 3 am? Perhaps give Europe an update time like 11pm/Midnight, that would see the States getting the late afternoon. Asia would get the morning, with Australia/NZ getting late morning into Midday.

Would that work?

Edited by StevieG