Micro-Alliance Think-Tank

King Wally

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='LegendoftheSkies' timestamp='1304786459' post='2708052']
You know, I think my main problem with micros is not that there's too many of them, but that they rarely bring anything unique or interesting to the table. You'd think the point of a small group of people bundling together and doing their own thing would be because they have some unique policy or ideals in mind that no other alliance has, but I find this is rarely the case. Too many simply act as smaller (and often incompetent) versions of the larger alliances with similar government structures and rules and they would do better to just join an established AA. I see some unique and cool themes, but that's often just superficial.

Hopefully this could go towards alleviating that issue somewhat and get those who actually have some interesting and original ideas in their heads to bring their concept to fruition and have it actually succeed.
[/quote]

actually legend, you'd be surprised how many people like to join micros just because its a smaller community

many feel that if they join a large alliance they'll simply be another member/tool (same can be said for those who leave large alliances for micros)

also the fact that in micro alliances, you dont have to deal with near as much drama :lol1:
-
-
-
anyway i think i'll check this out, been debating it since you started the thread Wally, maybe we'll seen a change in a better direction for Bob? who knows

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1304547490' post='2706266']It's just silly to me that the leaders of struggling micros come to a stable micro and think they get to sit on the throne and change the name etc etc.[/quote]
We somehow seemed to completely dodge this particular nuisance. Likely some mix of being horribly unattractive and the hassle of figuring out who's actually in charge of our "alliance".

Micro alliances (however you define them) exist because their leaders created them to exist. Many fill holes in the macro alliance structure. Others are someone's dream and they will get crushed or not.

As I said in a post on the think tank forum, people form alliances for one of 3 reasons.

1. They do not know any better - most of these will fail
2. They crave power
3. They want something different

I think more successful start-ups fall into #3 than into any of the others.

And some of us dream of leaving that 'micro' status behind.

Interesting idea, I like it, but one word of caution: you best be giving detailed instructions to micros on how to get protection from other, larger alliances. It would be all too easy for someone to sign up for an account under false pretenses and use that account to spy and recon micros for purposes of finding raid targets.

Not that I'm that evil...

I just spent a lot of time around evil men and women. ;)

Don't worry I know these people exist... my first experiance trying to start a micro came with a short little visit from Poison Clan before we publicly announced our protection.

We have a vast library of guides in the think tank that warn against this type of thing however to be honest we could do with a few more reps from the larger AA's to make finding protection easyer. Theres something like 60 odd reps from the small to mid teir category posting on the forums now so having a few more larger AA's rep themselves wouldn't hurt. (cough* get your ass in there Valhalla cough* :awesome: )

I would also like to announce that I have apointed Cerridwyn & Muddog as part of the official Think-Tank admin team so if you have any questions or problems and I am not about I'm sure you will find them both of great help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cerridwyn' timestamp='1305995445' post='2716112']
Is there anything on this new forum you would like to see but you don't?
[/quote]

I'd really like to be able to use "center" tags for images. I think there's an option somewhere in the acp to turn this on?

[quote name='Mason' timestamp='1306003807' post='2716168']
I'd really like to be able to use "center" tags for images. I think there's an option somewhere in the acp to turn this on?
[/quote]
It doesn't work by default? Well, if InvisionFree supports custom tags (been ages since I used one, though I'm familiar with IPB ACP) you can either edit the img tag to take an argument (i.e. [i[size="2"]m[/size]g=center]url here[/i[size="2"]m[/size]g]) or make a custom img tag (i.e. [i[size="2"]m[/size]gcenter]url here[/i[size="2"]m[/size]gcenter]).

Edited by Locke

[quote name='Cerridwyn' timestamp='1306040595' post='2716444']
How would you do that Max?
[/quote]

I imagine the easiest way would be to make sure that the big alliances are aware of it, then when they pick up protectorates hopefully they could point them to it for additional assistance. Also you could get people messaging leaders of micros that don't seem to be represented yet to ask if they were interested in it?

[quote name='Joe Stupid' timestamp='1306036492' post='2716409']
Wally!!! I'm gonna miss ya man. If you ever need anything shoot me a PM.
[/quote]

Thanks mate! I'm knee deep in planning something brand new at present so I'll give you an update once I finalise the protection etc and its actually ready to start. Its irronic but I've actually found this Think-tank to be quite useful for myself and I started the thing!

Big thanks to the many people that helped contribute guides in there for example, I'm going to borrow some for myself right now! :)

[quote name='Carnoly' timestamp='1306404947' post='2718430']
good idea, even if you are not in a small alliance this can help bigger alliances get to know and have a chance to maybe even protect an alliance. I am going to register.
[/quote]

Well a perfect example... I'm starting a new alliance now and have outlined it on the thinktank and we still need protection. I'd definetly encorage larger alliances to drop in, there's oportuneties on there you just don't see on the OWF to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Joey67500' timestamp='1307396039' post='2725629']
Looks good, I hope this one keeps going.
[/quote]

Thanks mate... I think it should theres a fair community over there and a good admin team keeping it running smooth as well.

yea i have an idea how about everyone stop protecting micro aa's seriously we all need to wipe em out break em down then once they're nice and destroyed we keep them down by having "Thrashing Thursday's" in which every Thursday everyone on bob thrashes the life out of a micro crap aa...

a year away from the OWF and i come back to these type of post??? looks like i shoulda stayed away due to abominarions such as this, bye im off to vomit >:(

Edited by Ad Fidem

Your idea has no merit. For those of us seriously attempting to create meaningful alliances without the benefit of losing our identify through merger with larger, "more acceptable" alliances, we look forward to our growth and success. It's not the way many new entities come into existence, but it is certainly one that is valid. At least we are working for things that many alliances have let go the way of the dodo, like friendship among new alliances, members and spheres. Combining alliances for no purpose other than attempting to hang on to whatever the group considers significant is one thing. Openly abusing those who are working to do the right thing is not, in my personal view, such a reason.

Thanks.

[quote name='Ad Fidem' timestamp='1308314791' post='2733035']
yea i have an idea how about everyone stop protecting micro aa's seriously we all need to wipe em out break em down then once they're nice and destroyed we keep them down by having "Thrashing Thursday's" in which every Thursday everyone on bob thrashes the life out of a micro crap aa...

a year away from the OWF and i come back to these type of post??? looks like i shoulda stayed away due to abominarions such as this, bye im off to vomit >:(
[/quote]

...and this kind of attitude is exactly why there is demand to create a seperate forum to promote positive support for people wanting to have a go. The think-tank is a place where people can come and outline an idea without being laughed at and ridiculed which is a rare comodity these days.

[quote name='King Wally' timestamp='1308375688' post='2733713']
...and this kind of attitude is exactly why there is demand to create a seperate forum to promote positive support for people wanting to have a go. The think-tank is a place where people can come and outline an idea without being laughed at and ridiculed which is a rare comodity these days.
[/quote]

Hey im just stating what a good number of people are wanting to say... thing is with all the treaties and protecting of mirco AA's game play gets even duller, how about you all stop protecting AA's with 2-5 members, set a limit and have some kinda rules to it rather than helping this crap....

Answer this question and tell me if im just awful?!?!
How is an AA with 3-5members and 50% to 80% inactivity really gonna help you? in my opinion i see no issue with giving them tech deals and protecting your assets, no one want's there dealer robbed i get that but if a serious war breaks out is that inactive AA really gonna be able to balance your odds of winning that war?