Legion Holdings and Such

Captain Enema

Private, Classified

It has become apparent to the Legion Council that often newly created nations embark on what amounts to an immediate buying spree of military weapons. What price do their civilian populations pay for this spending spree for the gathering of the toys of war?

Orders to put the Legion's factories back into production have been given. Rather than creating modern era or futuristic equipment for these new nations it has been decreed to give them exactly what they need at the reasonable price of, massively discounted.

The recent assistance program to outfit Golan with modern equipment was costly, far more costly than it needed to be. Further, the long term outcome of the project is still murky at best. Will Golan be able to maintain the equipment for an extended period of time?

Has the Legion tied Golan's fate to the Kingdom of Cochin technical assistance programs for the duration?

Rather than provide modern era equipment to 3rd World Nations the Legion will provide technologically appropriate equipment that is easily upgradable.

Starting with the venerable L-72 Frame we can upgrade them to the L-84 Configuration, 2nd generation, and on to the L-84D 3rd Generation of MBTs.

The Engineering needed to convert the L-72 to the L-84D/95 Configuration is quite extensive, but not impossible. It is suspected that at this time the nation involved may well just decide to domestically produce a new model of MBTs.

At this time Legion can offer assistance in reconfiguring the M-84/95s to an ADA Platform, an Engineering Platform, or MLRS unit.

No sense in letting a perfectly good frame go to waste.

The Legion L-72/APC is a radical re-design. The basic T-72 Frame is stripped of its turret and innards and replaced with a troop carrying compartment. It can carry 8 men, plus a driver and a gunner.

The Legion L-72/APC can be upgraded with new engines and armor as can the MBTs can be.

The Legion L-72/ADA Dual 40mm Radar Guided ADA platform is a L-72 repurposed to serve as a Air Defense Artillery Unit.

The Legion L-72/ADA Medium Range Missile System is the same sort of design based on the basic L-72 Frame.

The Legion L-72/Ambulance or Armored Supply Vehicle, same as the rest, basic L-72 Frame gutted for use as an APC with the innards re-arranged.

The basic ideology being explored is using one basic frame to satisfy all of the needs of a 3rd World Army. Reconfiguring the internal compartments allows for a multitude of uses along with easing maintenance for engines and transmissions.

The

1 Engine, 1 Transmission, and one set of basic electronics for every single armored vehicle in their motor pool. The potential for easing training, resupply, and massive headaches are profound.

(OOC: The basic frame and thinking rotates around the Merkava Series of Tanks. I've used the allusion to the T-72 as I did some googling most of the way through and realized I was better off with the Merkava, so sue me.)

Private, Classified.

The Legion/Austria Joint Training Center has been opened. Training is to be made available for both Legion and Austrian Officers to help them become more acquainted with each other. This information will be passed along to the Austrian Minister of Defense.

Classified:

Project Chariot

The design work had been completed on the revamped line of armored vehicles. The basic frame, drive train, and engines are slated to be the basic platform for a wide array of future vehicles.

The L-72/MBT through L-72/Armored Ambulance Vehicles are planned to give the user nations a much reduced logistical load when supporting their forces. Training time and costs associated with training will be reduced as well.

Production of the first Regimental Package has begun.

• 2 weeks later...

Private:

The Legion Heavy Divsion will be unloading the bulk of their troops and equipment shortly in Port Sudan. They'll be positioned outside of the city for the time being as the men rotate out a regiment at a time for some well deserved leave.

Retraining programs have begun producing a steady stream of well-trained replacements for the men lost in Austria.

Austrian hires have been expunged from the Legion's roles and given funds to return to their homes along with all other monies owed.

The F-165s from the Olympic Peninsula will be arriving shortly and will make up the backbone of the Legion Airforce in Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Private:

Legion Forces have been recently reshuffled. No longer present in Fort Bogart or in Austria means a large number of Legionnaires have returned home. Further, a new generation of well trained Legionnaires are coming from the Legion's training programs. This brings Legion's forces up to full strength in Port Sudan and other parts of the world.

Future needs indicate a possible influx of Legion troops back into Europe given the diplomatic moves between Legion and Austria to repair the hard feelings between our two nations. This calls for an expansion of our naval forces to properly transport our forces from point to point.

Given the sheer number of small incidents occurring across the globe it has been decided to peruse the construction of three Amphibious Warfare ships. These ships are to be used for low intensity combat situations that do not require the expenditure of an entire Legion Division or more. In high intensity conflicts they will serve in a hit and run role to keep enemy forces busy along their coast lines as well as taking up an ASW role.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/USS_Wasp_LHD-1.jpg/300px-USS_Wasp_LHD-1.jpg[/img]

Further, a roll on roll off fleet of ships will be produce to decrease loading times for Legion forces. It is desired that Legion have ship capacity to transport an entire Armored Division using these style of ships based at Port Sudan.

[img]http://www.chaoticsynapticactivity.com/images/military_pics/usns_benavidez.jpg[/img]

3 Corvettes and 2 battleships are in construction as well by a foreign vendor.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[i]Port Sudan[/i]

Jessika Adler had never been a desert person. She liked the cool groves of trees in Central Europe, the misty creeks that feed out of the Danube and the frigid winds that blew down from the Alps. When she saw Port Sudan from the transport ship that had carried her from the Adriatic to the Red Sea, she couldn't help but frown. On the ship, she was already sweating and had disregarded her diplomatic clothes for something more breathable, a wide brimmed hat, a loose white blouse and khaki shorts and her brown hair was braided tightly back behind her head. It was the European safari look, but she pulled it off well as the Austrian ship docked in port and the Austrian Advisor to the Legionary Council walked onto the sandy streets of the port.

It didn't take long to find the Council Building as most everything was centered around the harbor. She walked into the building and to her relief it was slightly cooler. Smiling, Jessika walked over towards the receptionist's desk and dropped her bags at her side.

"I'm sorry for bothering you," she said with an Austrian accent. "My name is Jessika Adler, I am the Vice Foreign Minister of Austria-Hungary. I'm here on business to represent Austria in the Legion Council, if you could direct me to where I show go from here. I would be most appreciative."

"Ma'am, Jesus christ.. there is a war on.. here, take this," a harried looking Legion Lt. Colonel Fortuna says as he hands her a helmet, flak jacket, and chemical weapons suit. "We've got to get you moved to the secure location... MAKE A HOLE DAMN IT!" Screams Fortuna as he plows his way through a group of Legion paper shufflers as he pulls Adler along with him. "Ma'am, the Commonwealth rep just suicided at the peace talks. We are all going into our standard evac protocols for government members for the duration.. Sorry for this crappy arrival."

A few moments later Adler is drug onto waiting plane where she comes face to face with the other 15 council members. They are all looking around confused and bleary eyed from being pulled out of bed. "That's the last of them, GET THIS PLANE OFF THE GROUND NOW!" screams Fortuna as he and the rest of the security team begin buckling themselves into their seats.

Within moments Adler, the council, and the Council's Security Team are airborne and on their way to a remote desert location. "Beer anyone?" a council member asks.

Jessika had been through her fair share of surprises, having been in the Rathaus during the coup that placed Maria Theresia back on the throne of Austria. However, she hadn't been ready to be grabbed by the arm and thrust into military wear as an unsightly man rushed her through the dry air of the Council Building towards a rough looking plane outside. Apparently this was standard procedure if a war goes south three-thousand miles away and while the Foreign Minister did not know much of Legion's History, should at least appreciate that they were a cautious bunch and that she would be kept safe with them. Even if the sudden jarring of her plans, sent the young woman spiraling towards a very confused and then fearful mood.

"It's...okay?" She said to the Lt. Col as he thrust her onto the plane and then finding her seat on the edge of the councilors, Jessika dropped her head under the helmet visor.

As the plane took off into the sky, Jessika lifted up her visor and peered out at the group in front of her. She felt very much alone, very small, and definitely in the wrong place as one of them pulled out a cooler from beneath his seat. [i]"Beer anyone?"[/i] He asked, and Jessika let her head fall over to the window as she watched the endless sea of desert take over her vision from below.

[quote]"It's...okay?" She said to the Lt. Col as he thrust her onto the plane and then finding her seat on the edge of the councilors, Jessika dropped her head under the helmet visor. [/quote]

"Continuity of government ma'am," Fortuna explains. "A long time back some nutjob from some craphole named the Promise Land pulled a biological attack on us when we were still running around Somalia. So now when the stinky stuff hits the fan we evac our council and senior leadership to a remote secure location. Dellion is in Budapest. I reckon he'll be fine. Deltrane is running around the war zone, I reckon he'll be fine as well, probably the most fun he's had in years."

Fortuna stands up from his seat, all six foot four and 220 pounds of harden paratrooper that he is, and he goes and quietly has a word with the pilot. He quickly returns and sits down with Adler and he says, "Ok ma'am things are looking pretty safe, we are going to touch down soon, you have any questions?"

[b]Port Sudan[/b]

The following Legion Helicopter Landing Ships have been entered into the Legion's Naval register. They currently are stationed in Port Sudan while their Legion Maritime Battalions are stood up for active duty along with their Legion Maritime Air Groups.

Projected time till active service: 1 month
Maritime Battalion Strength: 1809 men
Vehicles: 7 Armored Amphibious Vehicles, 2 Landing Hovercrafts, 10 Legion Close Support Armored Vehicles, The Devastators.
Helicopters: 12

The Close Support Armored Vehicles are a technological compromise that allows the Legion the ability to put a multi-purpose armored vehicle on a hostile beach in sufficient numbers to make a noticeable difference. The Devastators take the old M-48 frame and massively update and modify it. The vehicle is widened, up-armored with reactive armor, given a new L-5 105 mm main weapon in a short close combat barrel, new firing control system, radios, engines, transmissions, road wheels configuration, armored skirts, tow bar, front mounted plow, and rear mounted ATGM/Anti-air missile rack of 4 in an exterior rack that is fitted to the rear of the turret. The turret itself is an improved model that due to the use of an automatic loading system is smaller and wider with all the oblique angles needed to help deflect incoming munitions.

LNS Hate
LNS Rage
LNS Fury
LNS Lust

ooc: See here for all the details of the ships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_class_amphibious_assault_ship

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Private with Burgundy[/b]

[quote]09:58 Dellion dials the number of the proper ministry in France to speak with a member of the Foreign Ministry.
09:59 Koda picks up a phone call
09:59 Koda Hello?
09:59 Dellion Yes, I'm Dellion of Legion, I'd like to speak with a high ranking member of your government regarding Legion France.
10:00 Koda Hello, Mr.Dellion. Well you got who you wanted. I am The King of Burgundy.
10:00 Dellion "Pleased to meet you sir, we have a common border with your fine nation and we'd like to rationalize our presence along the lines of local wishes. Do you think you can help me with this?"
10:01 Koda "Of course, what do you propose?"
10:02 Dellion "Legion only requires a presence in the area. We will complete our turn over of all civic affairs to the local population shortly. It will be locally governed. We wish for them to pay their taxes to your government so that they might be able to participate in your social welfare systems and pension plans. That's one of the major points."
10:03 Koda "Burgundy can agree to this. However what do you meen by Presence?"
10:05 Dellion "Legion will still control the land, we'll fund our police efforts through our profits gained via our business ventures. We'll still use the place as a portal of commerce to Europe as a private business holding via our largest firm Port of Sudan Imports and Exports and your nation."
10:07 Dellion "The locals will be governed under the Legion Overseas Military Code of Justice, which seeks to imitate local laws rather than impose Legion Military Justice on civilian populations. Never a good idea in the first place in our experience. All capitol crimes will be turned over to Burgandy and local misdeamenors dealt with by local constables."
10:09 Koda "That is acceptable. Burgundy will gladly agree to these terms. Becuase of this system the people will be granted Partial citizan ship, so this system can work. I am glad that u called me Mr.Dellion."
10:09 Dellion "One last point of interest. The land being controlled by Port of Sudan Imports and Exports does entail that it's controlled by a private entity do you understand what this entails?"
10:11 Koda "I understand, Burgundy only collects taxes and protects the people once the Legion cannot. This is better than not having any degree of control."
10:12 Koda (OOC:Your land would be striped burdian colors correct?)
10:12 Dellion "More than that. What it implies is that no matter what happens to the government of Legion the land still remains in the hand of Port of Sudan Imports and Exports."
10:12 Koda (OOC: The honorable french company^)
10:12 Dellion "Are you familiar with the Siberian Prosperity Cooperative?"
10:12 Dellion (slow down!! Lol)
10:13 Koda "I am not familiar with that. Please explain"
10:15 Dellion "Port of Sudan holds a position in Siberia to exploit their rather bountiful mineral resources. As a result of this position we've entered into a limited venture for this area. It's colloquially called the Co-op. The Co-op is jointly owned by Port of Sudan and the local populations as we've created an extensive profit sharing scheme and the locals are heavily
10:15 Dellion investing in their own future prosperity."
10:16 Dellion "We also fund schools, hospitals, roads, and power plants."
10:16 Koda "Are u offering to have something like burgundy?"
10:16 Dellion "Legion through Port of Sudan takes our responsibilities to our native staff very seriously and by default the people entrusted into our care whether they work for us or not."
10:17 Dellion "Not exactly as the area does not offer us the same rapid potential for financial gain."
10:17 Koda "Ahh, So what you are saying is a modification of that for the Honroable French company?"
10:19 Dellion "A clarification as to our intent. Port of Sudan can be trusted to respect the civilians of the Legion France possesion. You can work with them to create a more optimal state of affairs. What I suggest is something along the lines of a long term lease of the area given to Port of Sudan with the same tax paying plan and legal protocols we discussed."
10:23 Koda "Hmm, this seems like a most agreeable propasition. As long as Port of Sudan does respect the civilians than the goverment of Burgundy will have no problem helping to bring up the area, and stand to make a profit."4
10:28 Dellion "Indeed, we just ask that regardless of what happens to the Legion government that the government of Burgandy be willing to work with the Port of Sudan and for both parties to work together to ensure that the Legion France citizens aren't absorbed into whatever would be king that trots along looking for some easy pickings."
10:33 Koda "The goverment of Burgundy will be willing to with with the Port of Sudan as long as they work with us. Burgundy will not allow the complete annexation of any of the Honorable French company without approval of the Port of Sudan."
10:46 Dellion "We thank you for this confirmation sir."
10:50 Koda "Good, is there anything else you would like?"
10:56 Dellion "Not at this time. I Have to get moving, the situation grows more fluid and many details are needing my attention. We thank you."
10:58 Koda "Thank you for this call Mr.Dellion"
10:58 Dellion "Consider myself at your disposal should you ever need a personal advisor into African affairs and with that I bid you farewell."
10:59 Koda "I will remember this offer, thank you"
10:59 Koda hangs up[/quote]

[b]Private with Australia[/b]

[quote]09:55 Princess_Yenna hi
09:56 Princess_Yenna give me a sec, but i wouldnt mind doing something
09:56 Dellion "Yes Ma'am, I'd like to speak to a member of the Australian Foreign Ministry Regarding Legion's territory on the continent of Australia."
09:59 Princess_Yenna is patched through by the secretary
09:59 Dellion "hello, Dellion from Legion here, who am I speaking with?"
10:00 Princess_Yenna "Hello, this is Princess Yenna, I was told by my secretary that you needed to speak to me about legion's holdings?"
10:01 Dellion "Indeed, Legion wishes to enter into negotitions with your nation regarding the future of this holding."
10:06 Princess_Yenna "I would thank you before we continue any discussions, legion has protected the safety of our civilians on multiple occasions after the previous governments have failed."
10:07 Princess_Yenna "exactly what type of negotiations were you interested in, I have no qualms with your current status, as your base helps the economy surrounding the area."
10:08 Dellion "Legion wishes to turn the base over to a private entity for future use. Are you familiar with the Siberian Prosperity Cooperative at all?"
10:09 Princess_Yenna "I have some familarity towards them, what will become of legion's troops in the area? or will they remain and simply ownership will change?"
10:10 Dellion "Ownership will change, Legion frequently hires out its troops to Port of Sudan Imports and Exports. More than likely you'll see a draw down of forces in the area."
10:13 Princess_Yenna "what are the requirements to hire out legion, if i may ask? we have a limited number of soldiers at our disposal and australia is quite large, I would be interested in hiring out for security if need be in the future."
10:14 Dellion "Stable governance. Fair governance. Legion will not participate in war crimes either. Not much more. If you need fast moving mobile troops we can definitely help you there."
10:14 Princess_Yenna "I would never ask anyone to commit war crimes, I feel very strongly that all people deserve fair treatment, even though who may disagree with my own personal opinions."
10:17 Dellion "We feel that most people could benefit from a bullet to the head, but we don't like making a big deal out of it. Just get it done quickly without the torture."
10:22 Dellion "You do understand that regardless of what happens to the government of Legion the holdings of the Port of Sudan will still remain under their control?"
10:56 Princess_Yenna OOC: sorry, i was putting the missus to bed
10:57 Dellion word
10:59 Princess_Yenna "I understand that there are some cases where death cannot be helped, I just prefer to give everyone a chance at redemption, unless there's no other option. I will support legion and almost whatever government structure they decide upon, even if it is a business rather than a government persay, you've helped our people out on numerous occasions, I don't turn away such friendship easily."
11:01 Dellion "We thank you, and look forward to working with your government in the future."
11:02 Princess_Yenna "As do I, enjoy the rest of your day, goodbye!"[/quote]

[b]Private[/b]

The privitization of Legion assets has led to a general draw down of strength. The remaining forces in the field are as follows:

Central African Division - 20,000 men
Port Sudan- 1500 men.
Fort Maria Theresia- 500 men
Legion France- 500 men
Fort Mbembe- 7500 men

The discharged men are given plane tickets and their full pay to date plus a generous package to resettle them.

The Legion Fleet is ordered to Calais to await discharge and then men are discharged from active service. Aircraft purchased from the UFE are flown to the nearest UFE controlled airstrip and handed over. It is thought that this action will save the UFE the hassle of reclaiming the aircraft themselves.

Legion itself is turned into a private entity. Legion Military Services Ltd. The business registration is held in Port Sudan. It's board of directors consists of Gentleman Johnny Germaine, Dellion, and a few others.

The company holdings include:

Port Sudan
Fort Maria Theresia
Legion France
Siberian Prosperity Cooperative
Joint Territory-Ghana

Active agreements are in place with local governments concerning the current and future status of the Legion Military Services and Port of Sudan Imports and Exports Holdings.

[b]Public Notice[/b]

As a nation Legion ceases to exist. Legion will honor our agreement to police the Central African Joint Security Zone for the duration of the peace agreement. Beyond that it is business as usual. We have in place agreements with the local governments concerning the holdings and will be looking to increase our foreign holdings in the future.