FFT : TS

Sarah Tintagyl

[center]WARNING! WARNING! IF YOU HAVE A GREAT DEAL VESTED INTO CNRP TECH AND THE USE OF TECHNO-BABBLE TO OVER POWER YOUR ENEMIES - TURN BACK NOW![/center]

Otherwise, lets continue.

Recently there has been a lot of debate as to the components of the CNRP tech scale and tech efficiency. Personally I find this quite funny, because while people desire a strong adherence to technology rules and the subsequent years that govern RP, motifs of Romanticism, Gothic Fiction and Science Fiction continuously work their way into our game. Of course I am one of those people who enjoy putting a little fiction and fantasy in to my RP, keeps it feeling fresh, at least to me, and I believe it adds to the overall flavor of the world. That said, I try not to involve myself in the debates over tech, mainly because I just don't know what is going on. In my opinion, the difference of technology in a writing RP forum, between the years of 1980 and 1990, let's say, is so minuscule that most people playing in the RP probably wouldn't notice anyways. Not that the knowledge of how military equipment and stuff works, but for the majority of us, and I think I can speak for a few, we are not engineers, we are not mathematicians, we range from 15 to however old Mael and Vektor are, and lets be honest here, this should be an enjoyable experience for us all.

So what's the point of this rant unless we're looking to improve something?

In truth, the way I have seen most wars fought here, tech never really becomes an issue. Bigger countries normally can use diplomacy to simply push their way through and destroy a smaller neighbor through posts and posts of techno-speak about missiles falling from the sky, doctors and medics working like magicians and tanks storming the way through towns and cities like lancers. With the trajectory of 'X' and the range of 'Y' it can all become very confusing, but what if...

Isn't [url="http://www.honornetwork.com/i/military/Modern_artillery.JPG"]this[/url] similar to [url="http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/78/Wizardfft.jpg"]these guys?[/url]

My point is, what, for RP terms, is the difference between an artillery piece and a mage who can throw fire? They're both ranged. They both have devastating attacks on infantry and if caught by infantry or mobile armor, are pretty much defenseless. So what is the problem in interchanging these types? As far as I can see, not much, and thus I would like to present for your pleasure, a proposal for the new Austrian Army. Of course from this first description we can do any military in the world of CNRP.

First, lets start with the infantry:

In truth, I feel kind of bad for CNRP's infantry, the nameless souls that dive into battle for dictator and country. For the most part, it would appear that there are few differences between the infantries of one nation and another. Armed with a gun, possibly a knife, and a few grenades there are virtually no differences. Now that I believe tech efficiency is gone as well, it makes the role of the infantry even more awesome because, we as their performers, show just how effective they are in battle. However is a special armored suit actually practical? If so then can't any armor, if RPed correctly function in battle?

For instance, lets replace Austrian Regulars with three different units:

[url="http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090401223305/finalfantasy/images/5/51/Squires.jpg"]~The Cadet[/url]
[url="http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090401225931/finalfantasy/images/thumb/c/ce/FFT_Knights.jpg/250px-FFT_Knights.jpg"]~The Austrian Regular[/url]
[url="http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070228173551/finalfantasy/images/7/7d/FFT_Archer.jpg"]~The Sniper[/url]

Note: With a gun in their hand (and of course not a massive amount of snipers) along with armor could be the equivalent of a regular modern force. In the idea that infantry is infantry.

Nations' infantries are not alone on the battlefield, players boast a variety of tanks, armored transports, and other smaller vehicles designed for engagement. A tank is essentially a fast moving armored unit that can fire a devastating round into infantry or other armored units. The proposition of the [url="http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/fft/pictures/dragoon.jpg"]Austrian Dragoon[/url] fulfills the same role, all that is necessary is to replace the spear and lance with a blunderbuss with various ammo. Bolt-ammo for armor piercing, Fire-ammo for a mass explosion and of course the ability to lay ice mines to deter enemy advances. (Though that might need to be RPed out a bit more, not all Dragoons start with a mastery of ice)

In addition to infantry and armor, national armies also employ artillery. Like armor, or in our case, Dragoons, a [url="http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/78/Wizardfft.jpg"]Mage[/url] can shoot ranged bombs and bolts over towards enemy lines with a great deal of power. Again the mage, like artillery would be customizable, between a much more powerful fireball that and perhaps a less devastating, but lighter and easier to move, bolt. Like artillery they would be weak to other attacks and barely able to defend themselves from infantry and armor over taking certain positions. Furthermore, medics in the field are in constant motion to keep a national military running smoothly and keeping the wounded from dying. Our [url="http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/a/ae/FFT_Chemist.jpg"]Medic[/url] does not need a great deal of explanation and would function just as any other medic in the field.

This is a brief overview of course that can be expanded much further to include air power and naval power. Missiles and nukes are rather easily described, just a much larger and devastating fireball perhaps launched from a Mage's University that streaks across the sky. I can assure you that the effects on the civilian population will be just as bad and flora and fauna incapable of growth in the charred wasteland for sometime.

Before I finish however, for those of you that enjoy having a tier of expertise for your hard work in CN I have figured out something too.

Levels.

We'll keep it simple. Few people have over 10,000 tech, which would serve as our level 20. So a nation with 500 tech would have a Lv. 2 Mage, Dragoon, Infantry, whatever. However to foster growth, much as characters do throughout stories and games, exemplary training and action can make a mage more powerful or a knight braver. Perhaps a Slavorussian Knight is only a Lv. 3 (sorry Justin, didn't look what you had), but Slavorussian knights are still the best trained in the world, then what is going to stop them from a Lv. 7 Chinese Knight who just kind of takes it easy all day? For those who want victory really bad, it will come to them whether they choose to fight with horses and dragoons or tanks and cannon.

My point is, for many of us, who are just using generic tanks and barely understanding the mechanism of how they work but want to develop inner-workings of machines and our military a lot more, is a fireball all that much different from a missile?

I'm up for questions, concerns, criticisms, and discussion.

And of course if it's popular, an expansion on my idea thus far.

(Disclaimer: Thanks to Final Fantasy Tactics that inspired this idea of mine)

The big issue I have with this is how to deal with technologies involving electronic warfare, signals issues, and cyberwarfare when compared to bullets and bombs. Also if someone god modes with a plane or tank, you can call it and argue based on some relatively easily accessible science. This is not something you can do with a dragon or spell.

Edited by Triyun

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1304039149' post='2701569']
The big issue I have with this is how to deal with technologies involving electronic warfare, signals issues, and cyberwarfare when compared to bullets and bombs. Also if someone god modes with a plane or tank, you can call it and argue based on some relatively easily accessible science. This is not something you can do with a dragon or spell.
[/quote]

Give me a few days to work out a system to prevent god-moding. But I'll be able to come up with something, again, suggestions are appreciated.

[quote name='graniteknight' timestamp='1304039789' post='2701577']
But but Triyun(and by extension the former Mael) you guys can finally re have your Dragon-God using this system. *chuckles*
[/quote]

That was Mael and only Mael. You'll find that was universally mocked by everyone except Mael who tried to defend it as possible.

The only two things I am enthusiastic about being able to do in this MO, is to be able to force choke people for coming out of light speed to close to the rebel base and force lightning those who fail to turn to the dark side of the force.

I'm going to have to agree with Owned and Pravus on this one... even with my style of nitty gritty, detailing the amount of mud on each of my soldiers' boots RP for wars, I cannot stop myself from simply reenacting the (mythical) [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Krojanty"]Battle of Krojanty[/url] over and over again against such an RPer. You know, the one where charging lancers and sabre wielding cavalry men charged bravely against the Nazi forces and got slaughtered by panzers and MG-34s.

With definitely not enough popular support for the idea of a Mage versus a tank, I'm going to consider my proposal canceled. It it probably too much to put such extreme fantasy elements into the CNRP environment which is most vastly more modern. I appreciate you guys taking the time to review it and give me back what feed back you could. Thanks!

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1304112745' post='2702164']
Unless they bring in a third party who doesn't recognize it.
[/quote]

Actually no, a mutually agreed rp in this case would not count for the cnrp canon universe and as such all participants would need to follow the rules outlined by the OP as it would be considered a different continuity.

I wasn't saying change the rules.

I meant more like, dont just drop the topic because people won't recognise it, some people will through mutual agreement, others will have to be subjected to nonsensical tank attacks instead of wizards in towers blasting the frig out of everything. I already know it's a rule because I've done it loads of times with Zombies, so has Pravus.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1304116322' post='2702198']
Actually no, a mutually agreed rp in this case would not count for the cnrp canon universe and as such all participants would need to follow the rules outlined by the OP as it would be considered a different continuity.
[/quote]

Actually no, the only thing that's considered non-canon are things that break the rules and [b]aren't[/b] mutually agreed on by all parties involved - any war involving Botha mode by your standard would be considered non-canon.

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1304173941' post='2702527']
Actually no, the only thing that's considered non-canon are things that break the rules and [b]aren't[/b] mutually agreed on by all parties involved - any war involving Botha mode by your standard would be considered non-canon.
[/quote]

Actually no, just breaking some core rules makes it non-canon, in this case the ban on characters we don't have in real life, ie dragons, mages, etc.