[GM Poll] Tech Scale Reform

Centurius

Tech Scale  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an issue with Lynneth's scale save for the top end... I feel 20 years out is simply too distant to accurately predict what technology will be like. It should be 5 or 10 years tops. Someone made the point earlier about in 1990 we never thought we'd have what we do in 2010. Other than that, it looks fine.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303552610' post='2697620']
Okay, so I went into excel real quick and made this:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/Thing338.png[/img]

Tweaking will have to be done, but I believe while mathematically more complicated, this makes everyone's stuff more modern.
(Except that of people of 10 and less tech <.< )

Edit: I forgot including that, but I made the base 1970. So the result of the logarithm is added to 1970.
[/quote]

As of yesterday this is the new tech scale, the scale will be capped at current+20 years.

I can understand why you would argue 20 years is too far in the future to predict this simply isn't true at our current level of development. Projects that were in the development stages in 1990 are only recently seen in active use, likewise while computer processing power will keep increasing exponentially this is also capped. As such the GM team has come to the conclusion that 20 years is a reasonable cap.

Finally we have also ruled that tech efficiency will be removed and hold no value in rp.

Having hydrogen and neutron bombs is pretty useful imo.

Edit: Maybe include non-nuclear WMD that doesn't actually exist IRL, some of the lolBio weapons we've seen and major EMP clean burst weapons that aren't around yet IRL.

Edited by Triyun

I would propose including some of the other WMD in the WRC. Extensively genetically modified bio weapons (especially crossing two diseases) and large area 'clean' EMPS, possibly thermobarics beyond the power of a FOAB (which was claimed to be developed with nanotechnology) could all be considered significant national undertakings. Perhaps these types of weapons would also be a good fit and use for a Weapons Research Complex.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1303847751' post='2699869']
I would propose including some of the other WMD in the WRC. Extensively genetically modified bio weapons (especially crossing two diseases) and large area 'clean' EMPS, possibly thermobarics beyond the power of a FOAB (which was claimed to be developed with nanotechnology) could all be considered significant national undertakings. Perhaps these types of weapons would also be a good fit and use for a Weapons Research Complex.
[/quote]

I like that idea.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1303863651' post='2700048']
Sounds reasonable to me as well, these aren't the sort of things 12 year olds cook up in their bathtubs and all.
[/quote]

Youth these days are demented, I'm sure my younger brother has thought up rudimentary designs at some point. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img]

In all seriousness though, I'd be supportive of Triyun's idea as well.

Voted proposal 1. I like there being a larger number of divisions, and not allowing nations with only 1500 tech to create the same things as a 5000 tech nation, just less efficiently. That's a pretty big tech difference, and what they are able to build should reflect that.

[quote name='maicke' timestamp='1303866958' post='2700076']
Voted proposal 1. I like there being a larger number of divisions, and not allowing nations with only 1500 tech to create the same things as a 5000 tech nation, just less efficiently. That's a pretty big tech difference, and what they are able to build should reflect that.
[/quote]

While I agree with you, GM's already made a ruling to go with Lyn's scale. Which I'm not sure if you knew or not judging by your post...

[quote name='Kaiser Martens' timestamp='1303868319' post='2700093']
Uhm, if the first proposal goes through I'd have to retcon my entire nation. I rather refuse to do that : /

Just keep it the way it is. It is needlessly complicated either way.
[/quote]
I don't know too much about the Argentinian educational system, but I don't think that 3 divisions is really considered "too complicated" anywhere.

Seems like technological populism won. While I agree with Lynneth's system, allowing almost every little nation to have modern tech leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, how is the new system different from the old one, by allowing any nation with over 1500 tech to have the "invincible" Raptors?

I suppose I'll have to continue the fight, until the new equation has a "subtract 10" added to it.

Summary: We need to subtract 10 years from the new system to truly make things realistic and fair.

Edited by Kankou

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1303879335' post='2700176']
Seems like technological populism won. While I agree with Lynneth's system, allowing almost every little nation to have modern tech leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Seriously, how is the new system different from the old one, by allowing any nation with over 1500 tech to have the "invincible" Raptors?

I suppose I'll have to continue the fight, until the new equation has a "subtract 10" added to it.

Summary: We need to subtract 10 years from the new system to truly make things realistic and fair.
[/quote]

I agree. There is much more room to work with in [i]past technology[/i] than what we can [i]assume[/i] in future technology. It is hard to gauge future tech, and by increasing tech levels so more are in modern/future, there will most likely be more disputes over tech, as well as a very unrealistic world. Maybe not, but just my 10 cents

At the same time, some players are going to object the idea of low tech=Cold War tech while high tech=2011+ tech. Capping tech to 2011 is also going to cause some issues and lots of flak from folks with high tech, especially if they have already done lots of RPing development of high tech *cough*Lynneth and HHAYD*cough*.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='Chernarussia' timestamp='1303879937' post='2700188']
so, i have 56 tech, i can have anything up to 2005 now correct?
[/quote]
No you'll still be closer to 1984. Your tech level rises from 1894 to 1005 as your IG tech rises from 50 to 499, I think :P

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1303926685' post='2700444']
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=log%28%28%23%23%23YOUR_TECH_HERE%23%23%23%29%2F10%29%2Flog%281.12%29%2B1970

Replace ###YOUR_TECH_HERE### with your tech level.
[/quote]
iKrolm, your thing is wrong.
I think. Where did the log before the [your tech divided by 10] come from?

Just use this:
http://rechneronline.de/logarithm/
a = tech/10
b = 1.12
Hit calc
1970 to the exponent. ( x )
Done.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303930571' post='2700493']
iKrolm, your thing is wrong.
I think. Where did the log before the [your tech divided by 10] come from?

Just use this:
http://rechneronline.de/logarithm/
a = tech/10
b = 1.12
Hit calc
1970 to the exponent. ( x )
Done.
[/quote]

Hmm? It works just fine.
There's two logs because I didn't look up how to input a log base n in mathematica.

Here's a second version, I moved the your_tech_here to the end of the formula:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=log%28a%2F10%29%2Flog%281.12%29%2B1970+where+a+%3D+%23%23%23YOUR_TECH_HERE%23%23%23

Edited by iKrolm