[GM Poll] Tech Scale Reform

Centurius

Tech Scale  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1303586070' post='2697901']
When you say tech from a specific year, you refer to the United States or who? Some countries today have stuff from WWII.
[/quote]

Most advanced country which 9 times out of 10 is the USA!

I'm not a fan of Lynneth's equation because the log is too steep. It only takes 1000 tech to get to today's tech, which isn't a challenge at all. I'm in favor of something more shallow, and a lot more detailed. I think the more detail we have in a tech scale (maybe be linear going up by decades, starting at 1940 or 50), the more interesting this game will be, and the more fun you will have simply getting to the next levels. I also think 2020 should be our cutoff, just because everything past that is too unpredictable.

[quote name='Vince Sixx' timestamp='1303702313' post='2698992']
Does anyone care about tech anymore anyway? Wars today only consist of either whining to the GMs or mutual cooperation. Let's just abolish the tech system. Nobody uses it.
[/quote]
I agree.

If we have mutual cooperation, why do we need such things as tech? Anyway, a small nation IG would be unable to fend off ANY high-tier nation with this new scale. The game is unbalanced enough with troops numbers. At least give small nations a chance. And don't you dare go "oh fizzy is so biased with his small nation crap", because I honestly don't fight like I'm small anymore. I just roll over and die. That's when the game is most fun. :awesome:

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1303703744' post='2699006']
I agree.

If we have mutual cooperation, why do we need such things as tech? Anyway, a small nation IG would be unable to fend off ANY high-tier nation with this new scale. The game is unbalanced enough with troops numbers. At least give small nations a chance. And don't you dare go "oh fizzy is so biased with his small nation crap", because I honestly don't fight like I'm small anymore. I just roll over and die. That's when the game is most fun. :awesome:
[/quote]

Well thats out it is IRL. And thats where tactics (Or better RP) come into play.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1303698830' post='2698946']
I'm against Lynneth's idea mainly because it goes directly against the reason for my suggestion: Adjusting for tech inflation.
[/quote]
Let me throw together a table in Excel for this.

Old Scale, your Scale, my Scale.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/Thing339.png[/IMG]

What do we see here? Old scale, we all know it. It stops applying after 1,500 tech, with no further changes afterwards.

Kankou's scale sets basically all nations back a tier (possibly two). Except the people over 5,000 tech.

Mine sets almost everyone forward by years to decades, depending on where the person was at. In my opinion, while adjusting for 'tech inflation' is nice, evening the battlefield is a tad more important.
There's advantages and disadvantages to all scales. The old one gives everyone above 1,500 tech basically the same technology. Kankou's spreads this out, perhaps making for more interesting RP, but weakening the smaller nations in turn. Mine adjusts everyone into relatively modern times, but is more complicated and gives the really large nations more room to play with potential technologies. Bias can be cried due to my size, but I for one prefer my own scale. It evens the battlefield some.

After talks within the gm team the poll is closed now, we will be going with Lyn's proposed tech scale capped at 20 years in the future as that has enjoyed the most support.

At the same time TE is also being abolished once and for all. The more precise ruling will be made tomorrow.