The treaty of Zurich III

Zoot Zoot

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The English are correct. Torun should not have trespassed upon permission, however them being a new nation it is comprehensible how this might have happened. Please understand that it is standard policy for all nations to lock their waters and airspace even to allies when they do indeed announce a lockdown. Excepting when there is a treaty or charter, such as seen in the Torun-Germanic Union relations, which says otherwise."

"We welcome the Islands as observers."

"With four votes out of five, we await the Swedish delgations deciison on the USI's observation status." Andrew said as he looked at the various representatives before continuing.

"With tensions in Europe non existant and the threat of war in the continant all but vanquished for the forseeable future, I would like to suggest alterations and additions to the alliance charter.

First of all with Article II.

[quote]Article II: Intelligence
If intelligence networks within the undersigned find any that threats, either foreign or domestic are imminent, they are required to instantly open diplomatic and intelligence dialogue between predetermined agencies.[/quote]

I would like to suggest this article be altered into a new system. Instead of being required to share such information, what about a Pan European Intelligience agency with operators from all member states. An example of this system would be if for example, Britain unearthed a threat to Germany, the informaion is automatically passed onto German intel officers in said Pan European intelligience agency. The benefit of such a system would be the deley between detecting a threat and passing on the information through diplomatic cables is drastically reduced and can be immediatly acted on.

Secondly I would like to have the following suggestion passed into the charter.

The following is an open borders policy. This means that all member states are open to eachother and literally have, open borders. This would allow greater inter-european intergration and immigration. Moreover if a clause was added in regard to work permits et cetera it could potentially open the inter European markets. An example of this would be the former European Union's open border policies in the late 20th century.

Finally I would like to propose a European citizenship program. It would only be a simple addition to an individuals national passport, but it would grant said user protection and usage of any foreign based embassy that holds Zurich membership. For example, if a British citizen was in trouble in say... the UFE. The National could go to the German embassy for assistance or guidance."

The Tsar-Regent has asked the Prime Minister to reconsider his decision for a hasty withdrawal from the Zurich Pact. Although public opinion in Slavorussian on Zurich is at an all-time low there is a consensus that Slavorussia needs to be involved in European affairs. So, on behalf of the Slavorussian government I’d like to inquire about observer status and what it entails?

"The Tsar regent would be mistaken if he believes British opinion of Slavorussia is low sir, you did what you needed to do to survive as a Nation, it is to be commended. We would also be more than happy to support an application of observer status. Observer status is exactly that, your delegations may sit in on meetings amd hear proposals et cetera aswell as offer opinions. However, said opinions do not neeed to be taken into account by members and you will not be permitted to vote on issues raised in this council. Any more questions I can answer?"

As a member we were happy and obligated to defend members of the Zurich Pact and on at least one occasion we were called to do so. Does this condition, or perhaps in our situation an optional defense optional aggression agreement apply to observers as well?

[i]On the EU-like measures,[/i]

"We normally have a very closed-minded border and citizenship policy, excepting for those countries, like some seen here, that used to be part of Germanic Union and therefore essentially their entire population qualify for double-citizenship. At this time, we wish to continue with our closed policies yet make several exceptions. We intend on a creation of a new system to regulate this all and to make our land less "hostile" to newcomers. It will be released soon, but, having open borders altogether would be out of the question. We simply are very, very protective of our well-balanced economy, sudden changes do not go well with it, and while this might look fine on paper, it is a gamble that we are not ready to go for."

"However, assisting your Citizens in our Embassies in other countries is yet another form of being allied, that is quite good."

[i]On Slavorussia,[/i]

"Observer status is being able to have a delegation in this room. While they may give their opinion and ask questions, they have no vote and are not bound by the pact of course."

"I believe that although a reentry of Slavorussia may be desireable, it is best for it to happen over a long period of time so as to give Slavorussia a chance to stabilize and get back on its feet. Having them join and then regret it would be counterproductive. Therefore, we are in favor of them being Observers."

"As did we Sir, still, I believe it should be written down in the charter.

So for the record here are the issues.

Slavorussia observation membership 2:5 votes yes
Open Borders policy 1:5 votes yes, 1:5 votes no
European citizenship program 2:5 votes yes
Intel article Amendment 2:5 votes yes"

Susan O'Neil cleared her throat and stood.

"I understand that the open border policy does sound like a good idea to many of you but it is something that the United States could unfortunately not accept. The culture of the United States, The Island in particular, is something special. Large masses of tourists and immigrants would not only destroy, but eradicate that culture from ever being the same. Even if I were to make the decision to stay and apply for full membership, the open border policy would not be in effect because ever single House of Representatives and every Senate of each State will have to approve it. Then if that happens, the Federal House of Representatives and Senate will have to vote on it. If it passes there then President O'Reilly would have to sign off on it. I can guarantee you that it would not even get past the State level so I believe I will have to withdraw my nation's presence from this organization.

I apologize for the inconvenience however my people have only their culture and I know that the entire Congress would be made up of freshman next year if it was passed. I hope that you can all understand this."

[quote name='PresidentDavid' timestamp='1304306885' post='2703733']
Susan O'Neil cleared her throat and stood.

"I understand that the open border policy does sound like a good idea to many of you but it is something that the United States could unfortunately not accept. The culture of the United States, The Island in particular, is something special. Large masses of tourists and immigrants would not only destroy, but eradicate that culture from ever being the same. Even if I were to make the decision to stay and apply for full membership, the open border policy would not be in effect because ever single House of Representatives and every Senate of each State will have to approve it. Then if that happens, the Federal House of Representatives and Senate will have to vote on it. If it passes there then President O'Reilly would have to sign off on it. I can guarantee you that it would not even get past the State level so I believe I will have to withdraw my nation's presence from this organization.

I apologize for the inconvenience however my people have only their culture and I know that the entire Congress would be made up of freshman next year if it was passed. I hope that you can all understand this."
[/quote]

Slavorussia observation membership 4:5 votes yes
[color="#FF0000"]Open Borders policy 1:5 votes yes, 3:5 votes no - Motion defeated[/color]
European citizenship program 4:5 votes yes
Intel article Amendment 4:5 votes yes"

"The open borders motion has been defeated, you dont need to withdraw your application"

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1304338475' post='2704076']
Slavorussia observation membership 4:5 votes yes
[color="#FF0000"]Open Borders policy 1:5 votes yes, 3:5 votes no - Motion defeated[/color]
European citizenship program 4:5 votes yes
Intel article Amendment 4:5 votes yes"[/quote]

"Livonia would like to ask to amend the open border motion. We suggest that we all allow a set limit to the amount of tourists we allow into our nations via this bloc. Like the policy most of us have toward immigration. It would allow for extra commerce, yet preserve the culture of our nations.

We vote yes to both amendments.

We feel Slavorussia has had a very dishonorable leave from the former United Kingdom. When in the UK, their representatives have refused to take the very serious matter of their citizen's lives into hand, instead allowing the other members of the former UK to do such. Not standing up for themselves, when they clearly had the power to do such. They had the chance to leave before the time they have, and they would have had a honorable leave; however, that is not the case. We do not feel that we can trust the Slavorussians in a matter of private intelligence and lives of our nations and this bloc. With the aforementioned, we vote No on the observer status of Slavorussia."

EDITOOC: I fail at typing.

Edited by Ezequiel

[quote name='Ezequiel' timestamp='1304376122' post='2704425']
"Livonia would like to ask to amend the open border motion. We suggest that we all allow a set limit to the amount of tourists we allow into our nations via this block. Like the policy most of us have toward immigration. It would allow for extra commerce, yet preserve the culture of our nations.

We vote yes to both amendments.

We feel Slavorussia has had a very dishonorable leave from the former United Kingdom. When in the UK, their representatives have refused to take the very serious matter of their citizen's lives into hand, instead allowing the other members of the former UK to do such. Not standing up for themselves, when they clearly had the power to do such. They had the chance to leave before the time they have, and they would have bad a honorable leaver; however, that is not the case. We do not feel that we can trust the Slavorussians in a matter of private intelligence and lives of our nations and this bloc. With the aforementioned, we vote No on the observer status of Slavorussia."
[/quote]

"Slavorussia left the UK and Zurich to preserve their own peoples safety aswell as the integrity of Europe. The former UK was lead by madmen, the Slavorussian Government got out when they realised this. If need be, Britain will sponsor Slavorussia for their time as an observer. They are close friends if England and even fought during the Great British war of Independance. We believe Livonia should reconsider their vote."

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1304379954' post='2704461']
"Slavorussia left the UK and Zurich to preserve their own peoples safety aswell as the integrity of Europe. The former UK was lead by madmen, the Slavorussian Government got out when they realised this. If need be, Britain will sponsor Slavorussia for their time as an observer. They are close friends if England and even fought during the Great British war of Independance. We believe Livonia should reconsider their vote."
[/quote]

"They left the UK and Zurich after they saw a possible war, they didn't wish to fight for their people and their, at the time, nation. Even if the UK was run by madmen, and possibly it was, Slavorussia still had the obligation to defend the UK. Instead, they ran out when they could have. If we allow them in to observe, we doubt they will follow through with obligations such as voicing concerns, challenging topics, and stay with Zurich no matter the cost of the nation. The united people of Zurich come first, not the individual nation. As far as we see it, Slavorussia has nothing to give to Zurich, or the member nations of her."

[quote name='Ezequiel' timestamp='1304380667' post='2704476']
"They left the UK and Zurich after they saw a possible war, they didn't wish to fight for their people and their, at the time, nation. Even if the UK was run by madmen, and possibly it was, Slavorussia still had the obligation to defend the UK. Instead, they ran out when they could have. If we allow them in to observe, we doubt they will follow through with obligations such as voicing concerns, challenging topics, and stay with Zurich no matter the cost of the nation. The united people of Zurich come first, not the individual nation. As far as we see it, Slavorussia has nothing to give to Zurich, or the member nations of her."
[/quote]

"Slavorussia was also constantly trying to keep things calm and mainly stayed silent when their colleages were acting like children trying to start a war. Scotland and Ireland were going out of their way to isolate Britain to launch an aggressive attack against us, The Slavorussians were not. You cannot judge one nations actions when it's main mouthpieces are pushing for war. By leaving Zurich and the UK they preserved their peoples security from a war they had no say in."

"I think that in fact there should be a deeper analysis to what happened. Even before the UK formed, Slavorussia's strength had been declining. They believed, mistakenly, that through the UK they might be able to achieve security in the face of a resurgent GNED. They were mistaken, and eventually simply realized that UK were not listening to them...had they not left, they would have likely been obliterated. Even still does Slavorussian power continue to decline...they are doing what best they can to ensure that they will not be swallowed by neighbors...while trying to keep themselves stable. Leaving the UK, in the end, simply means that they did not want to fight us after all. Remeber that Slavorussia had been a founding member. It found itself at odds between everything and even their own aims..."

"They're simply trying to undo the ill-effects of their latest series of choices."

It is unfortunate that you assessment of the situation is so far from what actually happened. It is true that we left when tensions seemed to be at their highest, but that was not because of fear or cowardice. In fact when we withdraw from Zurich and the UK we did so precisely because our citizens demanded we take action to allow our voice to be heard in both organizations.

When we joined the UK we were led to believe that it was going to be an inclusive organization like the former European Union, but instead we were dominated and our voices stifled. The Slavorussian government made its decision not because of the threat of war, which even today is still exaggerated far beyond the parameters of reality, but because neither Zurich nor our partners in the UK were paying attention to our voice.

Make no mistake that when we are convinced that we are absolutely right, we will, have and will continue to stand up for ourselves. However we can also recognize our mistakes and at least attempt to reconcile them. It takes far more strength, honor and courage to admit to a mistake and try to fix it, than it does to stand up and puff up your chest.