The Arkhangelsk Question

Malatose

[b]Arkhangelsk[/b]

[i]"We want to be free! We want to be free!"[/i]

The protest in the occupied Arkhangelsk had begun. Thousands of Dalmatian citizens took to the streets, waving the national flag of Dalmatia hoping to gain their independence from the foreign invaders. For over six months, the region of Arkhangelsk, a former province of the Greater Nordic Reich, had been ruled by the Russian Administration. The Dalmatia majority were banned from the local politics of the province, pushing them more into the darkened corners of obscurity. During those six months, the citizens suffered untold hardships. It was widely known that their way of life was considered taboo, as anything with any sort of Nordic heritage was considered illegal. The Russian administration had imposed severe restrictions on the former Nordic citizens. Curfews and traveling restrictions were just a few of those. In response, the Dalmatian nationals sent hundreds of letters asking for fair treatment; however, that only resulted in further oppression and brutality from the foreign occupational force. The citizens had reached a breaking point, and the time for action had come.

"We want to be free!"

The citzens took to the streets, waving the national flag of Greater Dalmatia among hundreds of other symbols.

"Out with the foreign occupiers, we want equal representation!"

They defiantly protested infront of soldiers, not caring for their own well-being. The cries of thousands could not be ignored. While they would possibly be ignored by the Moscow Government, Visari heard the screams of his people and set forth to end them once and for all.

[b]Tbilisi[/b]

Visari sat in his personal chambers, reading the reports of the protest streaming into his office. There, he crafted a letter to the Russian government asking for an immediate end to the oppression of his people.

Muscovites!

I cannot help but weap for my people in Arkhangelsk. The province of Arkhangelsk was a Nordic province until your forces took it from us in our darkest moment. While any other nation would have reached out a helping hand, you did no such thing. You only sought to take and humiliate Dalmatia. As the days pass, you continue to humiliate my people by subjecting them to hardships in a land that is rightfully theirs. As you know, The Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia has always protected their people. It doesn't matter where they are, we will do what is necessary to make sure no harm comes to them. Therefore, I say this. The ball is in your court. For too long have I sat idle while my people have suffered under your unjust government policies.

I ask you, to free my people and allow them the same freedoms which the Russian minority enjoy in Arkhangelsk. For your sake and my people's sake.

Signed,
Michael Visari
Autarch of the Greater Nordic Reich and Leader of the Dalmatia Majority in Arkhangelsk

ooc: Vektor and I have already talked about this. Although he is taking certain liberties with the story that I wasn't expecting, they can be overlooked in the spirit of a rp.

ic: The Governor-General of the Arkhangelsk Oblast wasn’t surprised by the anti-Slavorussian movement. The large population of Dalmatian immigrants in Arkhangelsk was precisely why he hadn’t moved the provincial seat back to it’s rightful place. Arkhangelsk, after all, had been a Slavorussian city since the first bricks were laid down hundreds of years ago. Their majority in the city was only possible through mass deportations of Russians from their homes.

Since the city was placed under Slavorussian protection Russian refugees whom had been deported by occupying governments scrambled to return to their homes, but nothing was the same. Two years of occupation had completely changed Arkhangelsk. Their homes had either been demolished or sold by the Dalmatians to their own citizens in the absence of the former Russian owners. Some saved up whatever they could scrape together to return to their homes only to find there was nothing for them besides low-income housing.

The truth of the matter is, the Dalmatian status quo survived largely intact while the Slavorussians residents lived in poverty and squalor. There had been a campaign by the pre-war mayor to have his administration restored, but the imperial government ignored his request.

The Governor General ordered Arkhangelsk’s municipal police to be vigilant, but not aggressive. He knew that if he used any force the Dalmatian residents, with their penchant for theatrics, would scream they were bring repressed. They could scream whatever they wanted, as long as they stayed non-violent there was no reason to use force.

The curfew they were rallying against was restricted to minors. The so-called “traveling restrictions” were to prevent people from traveling to the Ottoman Republic or the Republique de Fleuve. Repressed indeed the governor thought to himself, recalling how brutally repressive the victors of the war had been when the Slavorussians surrendered.

In Moscow the Prime Minister read the Autarch’s letter and crafts his reply.

[quote]Dear Autarch Michael Visari,

First I must apologize that you are hurting. I know what it feels like see one’s fellow countrymen subjected to foreign rulers, and to see centuries of history suddenly washed away. However, in times like this one must use a soft touch and avoid making what might be misunderstood as veiled threats. I hope you will take that bit of wisdom and cherish it.

That being said, I can assure you that all of the Dalmatians living in Arkhangelsk are free. If anything the protest is a testament to that fact. Their rights and freedoms are guaranteed to them by the our constitution. They are full citizens of the empire. Although they may not be happy, they are certainly free. I believe the problem is that they might have been traumatized by the sudden shift in legal procedures and the sudden influx of Russian speaking people as they try to return to their homes. This is something we should both try to fix. Perhaps we should sit down and brainstorm a remedy to the situation?

I eagerly await your response.

Signed,
Dmitry Medvedev, Prime Minister [/quote]

Autarch Visari was surprised at how fast his Russian counterpart responded. He, therefore, drafted a response.

[quote]Dear Dmitry Medvedev,

I thank you for responding to my letter in a timely fashion. It shows that are you a man of action, and that is something I respect, greatly. The situation in Arkhangelsk is one of great confusion. On one side, you have the Dalmatian majority, who have been stripped of all representation. On the other, you have the Russian minority, claiming absolute power. I do believe a suitable resolution needs to be reached before the situation reaches a critical boiling point.

Therefore, I agree with your suggestion. I do believe we should have a frank discussion about Arkhangelsk, and I believe it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Just name the time, and I will be there.

Signed,
Michael Visari
Autarch of the Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia[/quote]

Michael Visari responded

[quote]Dear Dmitry Medvedev,

I do thank you for inviting me to Russia to discuss the issue of Arkhangelsk. However, due to recent events, I am unable to leave the country. The current situation here deserves my full attention. In my place, I will be sending Jorhan Stahl, Imperial Regent of the Greater Nordic Empire. He has full authority to speak for me in this situation.

Thank you

Michael Visari
Autarch of the Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia[/quote]

After Visari dispatched the letter to Moscow, Imperial Regent Jorhan Stahl boarded an aircraft and headed towards Moscow. Needless to say, he was disappointed at the recent assignment. He was hoping with the recent appointment of a Vice Autarch, he'd have time to concetrate on his pride and joy, weapons development. However that was not the case, Aldric Vidar, had not been living up to the hype. Needless to say, he hoped to finish with this assignment as soon as possible.

Edited by Malatose

Premier Medvedev and Foreign Minister Lavrov along with the leaders of the fledgling Nordic Party of Slavorussia waited patiently on the tarmac at Sheremetyevo Airport for the Imperial Regent’s plane to arrive. Members of the press were there to record the event for newspapers and television, but that was the limit of the public’s involvement inside the airport.

As the plane approached the well rested air traffic controllers in the tower got ready to receive the Imperial Regent Stahl’s flight. They directed the plane to land smoothly on the runway near the Prime Minister’s welcoming delegation.

The Prime Minister had prepared a small welcoming ceremony for his guest that included the honor guard and a flyover of MiG’s. When their honored guest stepped out of the aircraft and onto Slavorussian soil, the band started playing a festive marching song while the honor guard performed a series of maneuvers as the MiG‘s perform acrobatic maneuvers overhead.

After the festivities ended the Prime Minister and the Imperial Regent traveled to the Kremlin where they could talk privately. They settled in the Premier Medvedev’s office where refreshments had served before their arrival.

“I hope you enjoyed the ceremony, Your Excellency. Perhaps we should skip the small talk and get down to business? With missiles flying both ways across the Atlantic I can understand why being away from home would be precarious. I understand you had a few suggestions as to how we could solve the problem in Arkhangelsk?”

"I enjoyed the ceremony. I do thank you for having me." Stahl reached for one of the many refreshments on the table. "The situation in Arkhangelsk represents a precarious situation for the both of us. I do believe if this situation isn't solved immediately, it could lead to a possible outbreak of hostilities between both of our nations."

Stahl sipped some water

"Therefore, I propose the following solution on behalf of the Greater Nordic Empire. I propose that Arkhangelsk be changed to the status of a Free City. The city will be governed by the Senate of the Free City of Arkhangelsk, which will elected by the parliament for a legislative period of four years. The political parties in the Free City will correspond to those in both Russia and Dalmatia. Of course, Defense for the free city will be provided by both our countries."

Stahl smiled, "I do believe that to be a suitable solution."

Edited by Malatose

Dmitry thought about it as he drank from his glass. “It‘s certainly a reasonable solution, but I must insist a measure of publicized international oversight in the elections. I also have to question how many personnel and equipment would require defending the enclave?”

"We have no objections to international oversight of elections. We have nothing to hide, and I'm sure you don't either. In terms of defense, Arkhangelsk is small. We'd be willing to dispatch a battalion of troops and a dozen armor units to ensure it's security. I do believe that to be reasonable."

“Not too big and not too small, that’s something we can all live with. I must insist that any weapons transported to Arkhangelsk be for purely defensive purposes, no offensive missiles, artillery or bombers or anything else that can be used to attack sovereign Slavorussian soil. Agreed?”

"Rest assured, we have no intentions of attacking your country. Therefore, we will not be putting any offensive weaponry into Arkhangelsk. With that being said, does this solve the Arkhangelsk issue between our two countries?"